• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

Perkel

Banned
Where do you deduce that from? All it says is that it makes use of multithreading. Nowhere does it mention how many cores it can make use of.

"latest".

Most of now sold CPU are at least 4 cores. i5 has 4 physical cores but for System is seen as 8 core. AMD meanwhile 4xxx series of CPUs are absolute cheapes and most of people buy either 6 or 8 cores from AMD.

Beside what is point of creating multithreaded code for 2 or 4 cpus instead of n+ ? Multicore CPUs are not new and amount of cores will only increase not decrease.

kafiend

"latest".

Most of now sold CPU are at least 4 cores. i5 has 4 physical cores but for System is seen as 8 core. AMD meanwhile 4xxx series of CPUs are absolute cheapes and most of people buy either 6 or 8 cores from AMD.

Beside what is point of creating multithreaded code for 2 or 4 cpus instead of n+ ? Multicore CPUs are not new and amount of cores will only increase not decrease.

There are very few games that would prompt me to bring forward any PC upgrade plans. This is one of them. In fact it IS the one.

Daedardus

Because multithreading doesn't work that way. You need data that can be calculated in parallel, otherwise you get timing issues between the cores, slowing everything down instead of speeding up. Video games hardly can make use of eight threads and rather take advantage of a faster core.

Perkel

Banned
Because multithreading doesn't work that way. You need data that can be calculated in parallel, otherwise you get timing issues between the cores, slowing everything down instead of speeding up. Video games hardly can make use of eight threads and rather take advantage of a faster core.

You are right but game engines making its way to 8 cores or more is inevitable. Right now both new gen consoles have 8 core CPUs every new game created for them will need to be written with 8 cores in mind and since both of them have same CPU it means 90% of all AAA games will need properly use 8 cores in our PCs because noone will R&D two completely different engines for PCs and consoles

ego as i remember also is looking for PS4 port they already have proper pad support.

My opinion is that this will be proper multicore engine (that include 8 core support) with more than 4 cores based on a) it's new game and they state from getgo proper multithreading in their sys req b) they will probably do PS4 port in future c) almost every new gaming PC is 6-8 core one way (proper) or another (ht)

wsippel

Banned
Interesting that you reckon Egosoft will do a PS4 port of Rebirth, Perkel.
Egosoft stated that while a console port would be possible now that they have full controller support, they have a ton of post-release stuff scheduled and will be busy for quite some time (Mac and Linux ports, Occulus Rit support, modding improvements, maybe a D3D11 renderer and so on). Console ports might happen at some point, but definitely not anytime soon.

Egosoft stated that while a console port would be possible now that they have full controller support, they have a ton of post-release stuff scheduled and will be busy for quite some time (Mac and Linux ports, Occulus Rit support, modding improvements, maybe a D3D11 renderer and so on). Console ports might happen at some point, but definitely not anytime soon.

I see. I was thinking they had a lot on their plate solely with PC releases that it'd be one of those vapourware projects that get chalked up for porting but never happen.

It'd be great, though!

Wonder if Aspyr are handling the Mac ports - I think they did TC - or if it's all internal now?

Perkel

Banned

They mentioned it as possibility.

Also as we know porting to PS4 is very easy (in relative therms compared to all other consoles) so they might imo release "enchanced" edition (like TW2)

They mentioned it as possibility.

Also as we know porting to PS4 is very easy (in relative therms compared to all other consoles) so they might imo release "enchanced" edition (like TW2)

Hope they do, although I hope they don't bite off more than they can chew. After all, a lot of the leg-work, post release, has been done by the community. Let's see how Rebirth goes after launch.

SparkTR

Nice simplistic OT, I was so sure this game was vaporware.

They talked about it here:

I dont know. As I said before our current goal the release of the PC game in November and then a lot of updates and expansions after that. A port to a console like the PS4 or XBox One is now at least in the realm of the possible, but if it will ever happen I dont know.

I wouldn't expect one soon (or at all), not unless another space sim shows huge viability in that market. Regardless I'm glad their focus is on expansions above all else, I'm expecting years of support for this game.

I wouldn't expect one soon (or at all), not unless another space sim shows huge viability in that market. Regardless I'm glad their focus is on expansions above all else, I'm expecting years of support for this game.

As an aside, and at the opposite end of the space game spectrum, but I really enjoyed the beta of Starlight Inception on Vita, of all places. Kinda rough, but has the charm of the mid-2000s Eastern Euro space dogfighters.

Anyway, only five days away now for X.

Just tried playing X3 and couldn't do it. Way too empty and depressing, hahaha. One of my main problems with the series was always how barren and lonely it felt. I'm really hoping they have kept their promise with Rebirth and made it feel a lot more lively.

Sethos

Banned
Just tried playing X3 and couldn't do it. Way too empty and depressing, hahaha. One of my main problems with the series was always how barren and lonely it felt. I'm really hoping they have kept their promise with Rebirth and made it feel a lot more lively.

Barren and lonely is exactly the feeling space should convey. Broken up by the occasional spaceship or array of space-stations.

For me the old X3 games were just bad.

SparkTR

As an aside, and at the opposite end of the space game spectrum, but I really enjoyed the beta of Starlight Inception on Vita, of all places. Kinda rough, but has the charm of the mid-2000s Eastern Euro space dogfighters.

Anyway, only five days away now for X.

I have the Early Access for that as well, keep forgetting to try it out but it looks great. Also, if you want another space game that resembles something from early 00's Europe I can't recommend Salvation Prophecy enough. I'm really liking all these new space games.

I have the Early Access for that as well, keep forgetting to try it out but it looks great. Also, if you want another space game that resembles something out of early 00's Europe I can't recommend Salvation Prophecy enough. I'm really liking all these new space games.

Yeah, that's a good one! A very noble effort, considering it was made by a single bloke if memory serves.

Perkel

Banned
For me the old X3 games were just bad.

I would say they were "rough"

TC and AP did v.good but still first few hours are bad because there is no proper tutorial for new people and most of people drop game because they were taken down by M3 or couldn't even trade (since most of stuff is red), even if they traded some things they buying ship will req status from one of race which is not obvious.

When you get those things you quickly learn how to earn money and you get to best part of the game "making your own empire"

Daedardus

I would say they were "rough"

I stumbled on the menu's the very first time. The mouse was so broken that navigating to the option menu was a chore, and even then it hardly fixed it. So I was left with broken menu's and a confusing early game, two reasons why the X franchise left a sour taste in my mouth.

Perkel

Banned
I stumbled on the menu's the very first time. The mouse was so broken that navigating to the option menu was a chore, and even then it hardly fixed it. So I was left with broken menu's and a confusing early game, two reasons why the X franchise left a sour taste in my mouth.

Yeah. I wasn't into X series until X3:Reunion. Tried earlier games and they were inferior to games like Freelancer or Privater or whatever game you name from spacesim genre

Initially even X3:Reunion was kind of lame. X3:Reunion was for me like 20h.
Things changed when i got X3:TC. At start i also wasn't happy but when i got to production and high scale trading it become like crack. I remember whole week without sleeping much.

Tobor

They should have released this game now, or better, a week ago. I would have bought it to tide me over until the PS4 launch. As is, I'll wait for a Steam sale.

d1rtn4p

I remember hearing that they were going to try to make this one more accessible. Any details yet on what they've actually done? Cause I found the previous X games impenetrable.

Perkel

Banned
heh i started again:

iJCeur7b9B39v.png

5 days people !

Gotta buy some mercury

Perkel

Banned
I remember hearing that they were going to try to make this one more accessible. Any details yet on what they've actually done? Cause I found the previous X games impenetrable.

Controller support + less spreadsheets + streamlined interface + introduction of crew members (which will probably do something for you).
Trading probably will be now more about actual trades which you hire isntead of trading script packages from complicated UIs.
One ship probably also means less complication to requirements like weapons or equipment.
I bet also first few missions will also work as tutorial in comparison to earlier games.

All above is speculation + what we seen from videos

KPJZKC

Quick, possibly stupid, question, been a while since I have HAD to have a game at release (have enjoyed X series since X2), and I'm wondering if I proxy buy a copy with GMG, will the keys be region locked? That would be a real kick in the teeth.

Perkel

Banned
Quick, possibly stupid, question, been a while since I have HAD to have a game at release (have enjoyed X series since X2), and I'm wondering if I proxy buy a copy with GMG, will the keys be region locked? That would be a real kick in the teeth.

Steam keys ?

Most probably yes. Different pricing models are available because those keys are probably locked to nation. For example i will be buying for ~30$ and i will get steam key that will probably only work for PL account

Shaldome

There are two Steam key versions in there shop page. One international which states "This version can be activated everywhere. No restrictions" and one outside of Europe version which can only be activated outside of Europe.

I don't know which one GMG sells. Maybe ask them?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sadness. After a little digging I found my answer to ship upgrades. They appear to be all or mostly plot required that do little to change the appearance of the Albion Skunk and are linear in nature save for a couple of instances where you can choose upgrade x over y.

X Rebirth AMA said:

Some other answers in the AMA make it seem like future patches could allow for more variation if the community wanted it, so there's that. Plus modders will definitely introduce a system to allow flying other ships and I'm betting a system to customize your ship will also be made.

Still though, kind of disappointing this isn't out of the box. You would think that after choosing to eliminate the ability to fly every ship and just have one the next logical decision would be to make that one ship versatile enough to be modified however the player desired it.

Perkel

Banned
Sadness. After a little digging I found my answer to ship upgrades. They appear to be all or mostly plot required that do little to change the appearance of the Albion Skunk and are linear in nature save for a couple of instances where you can choose upgrade x over y.

Some other answers in the AMA make it seem like future patches could allow for more variation if the community wanted it, so there's that. Plus modders will definitely introduce a system to allow flying other ships and I'm betting a system to customize your ship will also be made.

Still though, kind of disappointing this isn't out of the box. You would think that after choosing to eliminate the ability to fly every ship and just have one the next logical decision would be to make that one ship versatile enough to be modified however the player desired it.

Well its rebirth not X4. Point of Rebirth is to change game, modernize it and set features that will be used along other games. If they for example do now just one ship maybe in X2 will introduce array of ships instead.

Most of X3 players switch to M3 with jumpdrive and fly remotely their ships. So they essentially did what most of people would do in the end.

If we consider that if they had to create each ship as robust as Albion Skunk they may for example cut other parts of the game like expanded factories or cut other important part to gameplay.

I think Rebirth is amazing foundation for expansion and modders will make it shine

Yes absolutely. I think it is safe to say that the new engine is a lot more open and will at least after a few weeks be much better documented than anything in the past. We definitely intent to support modding.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well its rebirth not X4. Point of Rebirth is to change game, modernize it and set features that will be used along other games. If they for example do now just one ship maybe in X2 will introduce array of ships instead.

Most of X3 players switch to M3 with jumpdrive and fly remotely their ships. So they essentially did what most of people would do in the end.

If we consider that if they had to create each ship as robust as Albion Skunk they may for example cut other parts of the game like expanded factories or cut other important part to gameplay.

I think Rebirth is amazing foundation for expansion and modders will make it shine

That's not what I'm saying. I'm fine with using only one ship. I was OK with that decision from the start. My problem is that one ship can't be modified to any real degree outside of plot upgrades. The player has little choice in what their ship becomes and operates as.

What I want my Albion Skunk to do is likely different from how you want your Albion Skunk to work. You might prefer a tank of a ship with lots of armor and shields that relies on shooting missiles than chasing enemies, where I might prefer a lighter ship with less protection but more speed and maneuverability that uses rapid energy weapons to take out my enemies in tight dog fights.

Darkstar One is a good example of the type of customization that should be available to players for the Albion Skunk.

If you were given three options of:
1. Fly every ship in the game.
2. Fly only one ship, but being able to customize every detail of it.
3. Fly only one ship, but it only upgrades when the plot says so.

I'm pretty sure no one would pick option 3.

Perkel

Banned
That's not what I'm saying. I'm fine with using only one ship. I was OK with that decision from the start. My problem is that one ship can't be modified to any real degree outside of plot upgrades. The player has little choice in what their ship becomes and operates as.

What I want my Albion Skunk to do is likely different from how you want your Albion Skunk to work. You might prefer a tank of a ship with lots of armor and shields that relies on shooting missiles than chasing enemies, where I might prefer a lighter ship with less protection but more speed and maneuverability that uses rapid energy weapons to take out my enemies in tight dog fights.

Darkstar One is a good example of the type of customization that should be available to players for the Albion Skunk.

If you were given three options of:
1. Fly every ship in the game.
2. Fly only one ship, but being able to customize every detail of it.
3. Fly only one ship, but it only upgrades when the plot says so.

I'm pretty sure no one would pick option 3.

Oh i see. Yes. Still we don't really know what those upgrades will do overall.

KPJZKC

Steam keys ?

Most probably yes. Different pricing models are available because those keys are probably locked to nation. For example i will be buying for ~30$ and i will get steam key that will probably only work for PL account

There are two Steam key versions in there shop page. One international which states "This version can be activated everywhere. No restrictions" and one outside of Europe version which can only be activated outside of Europe.

I don't know which one GMG sells. Maybe ask them?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information - I have zero problem using a VPN for shops and the like, but am very reluctant to use one directly with my steam account. Pretty disappointing, will have to see how desperate I get to play as it gets closer to release - hard to justify paying 75% more than people in the US.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Holy shit at the OST! Filling my ears with awesomeness! Wow i cant wait for this game, i'll setup my thrustmaster A-10 hotas for this bad boy. Is trackIR supported?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Holy shit at the OST! Filling my ears with awesomeness! Wow i cant wait for this game, i'll setup my thrustmaster A-10 hotas for this bad boy. Is trackIR supported?

Not at the moment. I believe they want to get stuff like this and Occulus Rift in the game, but it won't be ready at launch.

Perkel

Banned

Currently no.

But this is Egosoft. Those dudes create game and later they will update it for free a lot. For now Oculus Rift probably is their #1 stop because they bought dev kit from oculus and they "love it"

Honestly i can't wait for consumer 1080p Rift. Games like X:Rebirth or SC will are made for this. I hope they will give it to us next year

I will miss the SETA/autopilot aspect as I loved working on other things at my desk while my ship moved between refineries, solar factories etc., at least in the early game. Quiet trader in the lonely void at heart.

Space Rangers and Port Royale will hereafter be the avenues of outlet in that regard.

Perkel

Banned
I will miss the SETA/autopilot aspect as I loved working on other things at my desk while my ship moved between refineries, solar factories etc., at least in the early game. Quiet trader in the lonely void at heart.

Space Rangers and Port Royale will hereafter be the avenues of outlet in that regard.

heh X3 is perfect GAF companion. I am currently playing X3 and between trading and waiting i type @ gaf.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

You will still be able to do that I think. You collect trading offers by exploration but its AI ships and stuff that do all the trading. So you can cruise around or just hang out in space and control your trading empire. The more you explore the more offers you collect and the more profit you can gain.

I had a huge, self-sufficient complex set up and I'd leave it running while I was doing other things like running errands. In hindsight its kind of silly, at that point what's the difference between running the game unattended to make money and just cheating?

Quantum

I can't wait.

I just dropped about seventy hours into AP after preordering this.

I am seriously considering picking up a new ATI card for this. (the 290, although I hear it is loud).

teiresias

So will this support my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro? I've had one of the previous X games on Steam for a while but never played it, and have actually never used the flight stick (my dad gave it to me after he replaced his with a higher-end one for Mechwarrior Online), so I think I'd like to try it out.

Perkel

Banned
So will this support my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro? I've had one of the previous X games on Steam for a while but never played it, and have actually never used the flight stick (my dad gave it to me after he replaced his with a higher-end one for Mechwarrior Online), so I think I'd like to try it out.

They said they will have joystick support day1

I had a huge, self-sufficient complex set up and I'd leave it running while I was doing other things like running errands. In hindsight its kind of silly, at that point what's the difference between running the game unattended to make money and just cheating?

I think it's more about seeing your hard work paying off in real time, and unattended for the most part. Any trading game worth i's salt that goes beyond the low-level stuff offers incredible satisfaction in that way. Like a giant plutocratic fish tank.

Top Bottom