• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 dead in Japan? (EDGE)

Oemenia said:
The 360 sold a lot of software there, its an utter shame that they gave up on the market after 2009.

On the other hand, Japanese gamers have the 360 to thank for the flood of Western games released in Japan, in fact they seem to be selling better than ever right now.
A lot of software? A few titles did okay (Lost Odyssey, Vesperia), but what can you back that claim up with?

xbox06.jpg

xbox02.jpg

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Raide said:
I am interested to see what MS do with their next machine. Will they push harder in Japan or pretty much ignore it? It is not the massive market that it once was.
They would need to make a portable to be relevant in Japan. It has little to do with being an American company. They maybe should have re-branded the machine in Japan as the Xbox name was seen as a negative given the first system's complete lack of Japanese software support. But ultimately, TV consoles are dead/dying in Japan, period.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StoppedInTracks said:
Bring on the 360 successor to Japan then, Microsoft. And get FF15 exclusivity. Or DQXI. Your choice.

If they sold it with free Mikie Hara inside every box it might do something in Japan.

Dai101

Banned
kokujin said:
I was joking, but shmups will always be around.

Yup. Now i wonder if CAVE are going to release ALL their games region free in hopes of the internetional market would buy them

Steve McQueen said:
In EDGE 229 ( page 229 > create > localisation > role call ) was a list of the most polupar types of games in Japan today.

1. RPG
2. Action
3. Adventure
4. Strategic simulation
5. Shooting
6. Nurturing simulation
7. Fighting simulation
8. Rhythym-action
9. Puzze/ Quiz
10. Racing
11. MMORPG
12. Sports
13. Love Simulation
14. First Person Shooters
15. Sound Novel

I think that when people in the US and Europe would make that list, the list would be completely different ( @ no. 1 nurturing simulation ftw ).

Huh that list looks about how I would rank my favorite genre's as well (Racing would be higher and MMO would be below FPS).

StoppedInTracks said:
Bring on the 360 successor to Japan then, Microsoft. And get FF15 exclusivity. Or DQXI. Your choice.

wouldn't help at all, the 360 audience just does not support JRPG's so why bother pursuing them for just one region? Besides the Japanese would just wait out the inevitable PS4 ports just like they did with the 360, I remember when Last Remnant was announced only for 360 and PC release and the PS3 version sat on Famitsu's most wanted list right up until the game was announced as cancelled.

kokujin

Banned
Dai101 said:
Yup. Now i wonder if CAVE are going to release ALL their games region free in hopes of the internetional market would buy them
I know I would, I hate the fact I have to mod/buy a JP360, just to play new shmups.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
kokujin said:
I was joking, but shmups will always be around.

Of course they'll be there... But most likely in iPhones or PCs (as indie games).

At most, they can end up on PSN/XBLA.

LordPhoque said:
So the 360 is dead where it doesn't matter, and the PS3 is dead where it actually matters.

durr herp derp derp

KingDizzi

Banned
It never lived. There was a pretty awesome time for sales age when it was selling more than PS3, believe it was before the Slim. That was a pretty funny time but ended a long time ago, still pretty funny seeing the 360 being outsold by PS2 during some weeks though. :/

Jomjom

Banned
harSon said:
Why were they bullshit?

Because exclusivity for already niche games are BS? More people should get to experience these games, which is why I said they should have been multiplat to begin with, like the way idolmaster is now going.

StoppedInTracks said:

Add this to the herp derp derp pile as well. Hmmm... let's see we can just release on every platform (360, PS3, and WiiU) for millions of copies sold or go exclusive for tens of thousands in Japan? OK!

Who cares? The days when you have to succeed in Japan to succeed worldwide are long gone. There isn't a market more irrelevant than Japan from a business perspective. It has always been a symbolic gesture for Microsoft to launch a console there. As long as MS isn't losing money over there, it doesn't hurt them for Xbox 360 to have a small loyal fanbase in Japan.

Opiate

Syphon Filter said:
PS2 ahd dre and still sold. Also they gave japan lots of jrpg titles but they still dont buy it much just a boost. Seems like Microsoft stopped with the jrpg siunce it was only a temporary boost. I wonder if project draco and the other japan kinect games will do anything.

DRE was definitely bad, but not nearly as bad as the RRoD; "lots of JRPGs" is probably overselling it, particularly in comparison to historical market leaders like the DS and PS2; and most importantly, the system is marketed at a particular demographic that doesn't really exist in Japan, from what I can tell. That doesn't mean that everything on the 360 is "dudebro," but that's like saying not everything on the Wii is "casual." It's technically true in both cases, but that isn't how many consumers viewed them because of how they were marketed and because, in both cases, most of the system-defining games were indeed "dudebro"/"casual." Both systems had difficulty breaking their respective molds even when a few games were released that tried to break out (although at least in the US, the 360 has now succesfully accomplished the task with Kinect).

I also think there is a bias against Western games amongst "hardcore" gamers in Japan similar to the bias against handhelds amongst "hardcore" gamers in the US.

see5harp

This is old news, and doesn't seem to matter much to Microsoft. I still think they push their next console in Japan, but they'll probably think hard about spending as much money in the region.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dai101 said:
Realistically, import sales are probably very small for something like that (a thousand copies maybe?). I beleive their decision to go region free for a period was mostly as a gesture for their fans. They seem to be looking into different options now, such as self-publishing over Games on Demand, etc., which is probably why Akai Katana went back to being region-coded.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How did the original Xbox fare in Japan? I don't recall.

Dai101

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Realistically, import sales are probably very small for something like that (a thousand copies maybe?). I beleive their decision to go region free for a period was mostly as a gesture for their fans. They seem to be looking into different options now, such as self-publishing over Games on Demand, etc., which is probably why Akai Katana went back to being region-coded.

Well that's fine too. But i've to say that i really liked the idea of a region free release since i don't really like the idea of DD games. Oh well.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dr Eggman said:
Apparently, it was legendary in its failure, which is why I pondered if they should have released the 360 under a different name in Japan. It went up against the juggernaut that was the PS2 and had almost no software relevant to the region (no RPGs, etc.) and Microsoft made no effort to really attempt to do anything with it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
3N16MA said:
I want to buy a Japanese zombie Xbox 360.

Will a faceplate do?

zombie-faceplate-cool.jpg

Delio

see5harp said:
This is old news, and doesn't seem to matter much to Microsoft. I still think they push their next console in Japan, but they'll probably think hard about spending as much money in the region.

If they arent even going to spend money on it why bother launching there at all?

Zeouterlimits said:
A lot of software? A few titles did okay (Lost Odyssey, Vesperia), but what can you back that claim up with?
Well, it depends what you compare it to. It's an insane improvement over its predecessor, though.
X360+all

Dr Eggman said:
2005-12-05

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dai101 said:
Well that's fine too. But i've to say that i really liked the idea of a region free release since i don't really like the idea of DD games. Oh well.
The idea of DD games is what will actually allow those games to even exist in the near future (if not already).

They got too lazy in Japan. I felt they really dropped the ball, that said i expect that with a strong launch the next system could do better in Japan than the 360. They have never launched strong or error free there, systems scratching discs

kokujin

Banned
Dai101 said:
True, but the price of importing games......

Curufinwe

LordPhoque said:
So the 360 is dead where it doesn't matter, and the PS3 is dead where it actually matters.

Europe matters more than the US, especially with the weakness of the US dollar. Not that the PS3 is dead in the US anyway.

Opiate

I think the most compelling reason Microsoft might "give up" on Japan next generation is more broadly strategic than a simplistic answer like "it's hard to sell there:" I think both Microsoft and Sony are reconsidering the living-room-entertainment-hub philosophy.

I've mentioned this several times before, but it seems pretty clear that both Sony and Microsoft were hoping for a facsimile of the Windows monopoly with the Playstation/Xbox, except in people's living rooms. Your games, movies, music, etc. would all be streamed to your living room through a gaming box controlled by them. That's the most rational explanation for why both companies would be willing to bleed billions of dollars to stay in this market -- they think there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

But two things have happened; first, it's no longer clear that anyone will ever really hold a "monopoly" in the games industry, as the Wii's dominance over the PS3 has made it unclear if anyone could ever really maintain market control for generations on end; second, even if this entertainment hub monopoly does coalesce, it's looking increasingly unlikely that the "winner" will be a home gaming console. Apple and Google are way ahead of both Sony and Microsoft in the "entertainment hub" market now, and took totally different approaches to get there.

So if the long term future of home consoles is in doubt (again, not that they're going away, just that they aren't leading to an entertainment-hub-monopoly-in-your-living-room), this has important short term strategic consequences for Microsoft. If you believe that, long term, you can accomplish a Windows-esque monopoly through extreme market power, then spending money in Japan makes sense. You'll need Japan if you want that sort of monopolistic leverage over the market more generally. However, if that isn't your long term plan anymore -- if there is no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow -- then your short term plan changes significantly. It no longer makes much sense to bleed money in a market just to establish market power.

I'm not saying this a foregone conclusion. I'm simply saying it's a possibility, and one I've seen some evidence for, given the recent statements and general positioning of products from execs at Sony/MS.

Jockel

dofry said:
I'm seriously thinking about it if
the_price_is_right-show.jpg
If you have a remote interest in 2D shooting, it is so worth the money.
It has a metric shitton of Cave games released, some Milestone and G.Rev stuff, too.
And there's the Raiden games.

Dai101

Banned
jett said:
Too bad the 360 isn't region free. Dem cheap japanese consoles.

If i recall correctly, the lock is at request of the publisher, some use it (like CAVE, though recently they have released some region free) and some don't

RSLAEV

After owning a Zune (ugh) and a 360 and watching Microsoft's behavior I get the feeling that success for Microsoft is just taking a decent sized share of the market away from your competitor and getting them to exhaust their resources by competing with you. I know they would have loved to have won the battle for the living room's entertainment hub, but I think their secondary objective was to split the market so that no one else would really win either.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Princess Skittles said:
Apparently, it was legendary in its failure, which is why I pondered if they should have released the 360 under a different name in Japan. It went up against the juggernaut that was the PS2 and had almost no software relevant to the region (no RPGs, etc.) and Microsoft made no effort to really attempt to do anything with it.
It really is odd how they still attempted to win over Japan. Looks like the Japanese won't change their brand and are absolutely faithful to Sony.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Opiate said:
I think the most compelling reason Microsoft might "give up" on Japan next generation is more broadly strategic than a simplistic answer like "it's hard to sell there:" I think both Microsoft and Sony are reconsidering the living-room-entertainment-hub philosophy.

Not just reconsidering, but the living-room hub thing is absolutely dead. It's not happening. It made sense as an ideal back when everyone had a big beige box in their office - "hey why not move this thing under the TV and have it do all the TV stuff too" - but in these days of laptops and iPads and smartphones it is just irrelevant. It's not what people want, it's arguable that they ever wanted it.

Sony and MS are loading up services in an effort to move hardware, not because they think they can get a monopoly under your TV.

I don't see how this makes a huge deal in Japan though.

Opiate

diffusionx said:
I don't see how this makes a huge deal in Japan though.

It makes loss leading less valuable, for starters. It makes subsidizing japanese games development less attractive. What would they be losing money for? To what end?

Spending millions for market power makes sense when you're focusing on monopolistic competition long term. It does not make sense if that monopoly no longer exists even conceptually.

Top Bottom