• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Here's how much of a geek I am: I just bought my first G-sync monitor (Acer Predator X34), and on the same day, my elite controller arrived in the mail. Too much excitement for one day. I decided to hold off on the unboxing of the controller till November 10th, the day Fallout 4 releases.

Shy

Here's how much of a geek I am: I just bought my first G-sync monitor (Acer Predator X34), and on the same day, my elite controller arrived in the mail. Too much excitement for one day. I decided to hold off on the unboxing of the controller till November 10th, the day Fallout 4 releases.
JRAxmCL.gif

It should be noted in the OT that these controllers can come with slow turn. Which is really, REALLY unfortunate. I Thought with the premium build quality as well as the anti wear materials under the face of the controller, slow turn would be virtually impossible on the elite. Naded's elite came with slowturn out of the box(turning to the right is insanely slow compared to other directional looking), & my friends started to have analog drift after 2 days.

I really cant understand how something that supposedly went through so much testing has such poor QA :/ How are controllers with analog issues getting to store shelves there are simple apps that can be used to test for this stuff -_-

As far as my own personal gripes with the controller the paddles are way to easy to press. They are so sensitive that I accidentally trigger the top right & bottom right one a lot. I have to constantly think about my fingers as i am playing so i don't accidentally press them where as with something like a scuf i never had any mis clicks.

The elite would be perfect imo if they paddles required more force to actually trigger, and proper analog stick design so the controller doesn't develop drifting or slowturn. A 150$ controller should NOT be coming with analog issues out of the box. Its great for those that dont care about analog stick slow down or over sensitive paddles though. I know a bunch that have no issues with the controller yet.

I will be selling mine and using the money to have scuf transform my 2014 scuf into the 2015 scuf infinity. Mainly because scuf infinities dont get slowturn due to all the overhauling they do on the sticks.

Navy Bean

Good news...my Elite arrived today.

Bad news...my wife opened the package so I've got some explaining to do lol.

Can't wait to try this out....

It's still there. The noise also occurs on both my regular XB1 controllers (albeit the noise is a lower pitch and harder to hear) which makes me think the noise isn't an issue but just a side-effect of the design used. Your opinions may vary.

For me it's not worth the time or worry to do anything about it since the replacement would probably make the same noise anyway and the fact that it doesn't affect the performance of the controller in use.

I hope it's just a quirk. I don't really want to go through the hassle of a return through Microsoft, either.

I guess I'll try to use it over the weekend and see if it goes away. I'm a bit afraid to touch it and use it because it's worth so much money and I want to keep it perfect. Damned OCD.

Bsigg12

It should be noted in the OT that these controllers can come with slow turn. Which is really, REALLY unfortunate. I Thought with the premium build quality as well as the anti wear materials under the face of the controller, slow turn would be virtually impossible on the elite. Naded's elite came with slowturn out of the box(turning to the right is insanely slow compared to other directional looking), & my friends started to have analog drift after 2 days.

I really cant understand how something that supposedly went through so much testing has such poor QA :/ How are controllers with analog issues getting to store shelves there are simple apps that can be used to test for this stuff -_-

As far as my own personal gripes with the controller the paddles are way to easy to press. They are so sensitive that I accidentally trigger the top right & bottom right one a lot. I have to constantly think about my fingers as i am playing so i don't accidentally press them where as with something like a scuf i never had any mis clicks.

The elite would be perfect imo if they paddles required more force to actually trigger, and proper analog stick design so the controller doesn't develop drifting or slowturn. A 150$ controller should NOT be coming with analog issues out of the box. Its great for those that dont care about analog stick slow down or over sensitive paddles though. I know a bunch that have no issues with the controller yet.

I will be selling mine and using the money to have scuf transform my 2014 scuf into the 2015 scuf infinity. Mainly because scuf infinities dont get slowturn due to all the overhauling they do on the sticks.

Slow turn can be fixed in the app that's used on Windows 10 and the NXOE (which everyone will have in 2 weeks).

Isurus

The compartment it's stored in is quite easily missable. There's also 2 batteries stored with it. I would go back and check because it's actually a pretty nice high quality cloth cable.

Well look at that. I did, in fact, miss it. Sweet!

The Flash

Banned

But you can adjust that in the app...

The controller feels amazing in your hands and I'm taking advantage of the hair triggers, but I haven't been able to adjust to the paddles yet. :(

BDP

Neo Member
I've been using the app but I'm in the preview program. Like otherwise stated, many of these issues are fixed in the app. I was adjusting my analog sticks last night and it works like a charm. I plan on trying out the trigger adjustments tonight.

JackHerer

I absolutely love the controller. Was using a scuf one previously so the paddles felt really weird at first because they are curved and more sensitive.

Right now I only have the top two paddles in and in Halo 5 I have left set to thrust and right set to zoom because zooming is finicky with the thumb stick at times.

It feels utterly perfect to me. The paddles feel so natural to me now. I may try putting in the bottom two and map swap weapons and melee but it might not be worth it. I feel like I can grip the controller much more naturally with the bottom two missing.

I showed the controller to my girlfriend and even she could appreciate the quality even though she doesn't play games at all.

Slow turn can be fixed in the app that's used on Windows 10 and the NXOE (which everyone will have in 2 weeks).

But you can adjust that in the app...

How can it be fixed in the app? Messing with the dead zone only tricks the controller into thinking it doesn't have slowturn. it will also have effects on the games you play. Not everyone wants to play on a super tweaked dead zone and it shouldn't be the solution to something the manufacturer should have right in the first place.

Its a band aid at best =(

Gotta believe Naded, "Here's a 5% off SCUF coupon and I'm only going to tell the truth", that the controller is Elite broken.

He demoed it on video and it was slowturn. Lets stick to the facts rather than trying to drum up conspiracy. I also know someone who has look drift already after 2 days. pretty sure there are more cases of this.

My point is this is a 150$ piece of "premium" hardware already having cases of slowturn pop up within days. That is not something that should be happening. And tweaking deadzones to mask the problem isnt a solution as not everyone wants their deadzones set outside or inside of what they are comfortable with.

I already tried this and I had to make my dead zone in a way that I dont actually want it. It makes my aiming off and the look movements become WAY to sensitive. This is NOT a solution to the problem by any means just a mask.

The Flash

Banned
How can it be fixed in the app? Messing with the dead zone only tricks the controller into thinking it doesn't have slowturn. it will also have effects on the games you play. Not everyone wants to play on a super tweaked dead zone and it shouldn't be the solution to something the manufacturer should have right in the first place.

Its a band aid at best =(

He demoed it on video and it was slowturn. Lets stick to the facts rather than trying to drum up conspiracy. I also know someone who has look drift already after 2 days. pretty sure there are more cases of this.

My point is this is a 150$ piece of "premium" hardware already having cases of slowturn pop up within days. That is not something that should be happening. And tweaking deadzones to mask the problem isnt a solution as not everyone wants their deadzones set outside or inside of what they are comfortable with.

I already tried this and I had to make my dead zone in a way that I dont actually want it. It makes my aiming off and the look movements become WAY to sensitive. This is NOT a solution to the problem by any means just a mask.

Well...

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Scuf seems to be the thing that you need.

Well...

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Scuf seems to be the thing that you need.

People seem to be missing the point by a mile. I'm not here to say "dont buy elite get a scuf". Im simply saying it should be in the OT that these controllers are not without slowturn like many have been led to believe. Many are the types that hate slowturn and dont want to make their analogs overly sensitive to mask the issue, they deserve to know this info.

I just think its unfair for people to not know that this 150$ controller is prone to the same crippling aiming issues as the low end ones -_- Tired of seeing people get burned by "premium" tech that carries over the same issues of their pre makes.

Thats it. Not trying to make some scuf vs elite debate, simply want more people to be informed that this thing has issues. Or am i missing the point of OT's like this entirely? are negative information not suppose to be present for people to read? I never made an OT so its very possible i am just barking up the wrong tree here trying to get this elite slow turn info to as many ppl as possible through this thread.

The problem is that it appears that a majority of the insides of this controller are exactly the same as the normal controller. So any problem that occurs with the old one will be possible on this money pit.

http://youtu.be/VJ3qnxTielA

The Flash

Banned
People seem to be missing the point by a mile. I'm not here to say "dont buy elite get a scuf". Im simply saying it should be in the OT that these controllers are not without slowturn like many have been led to believe. Many are the types that hate slowturn and dont want to make their analogs overly sensitive to mask the issue, they deserve to know this info.

I just think its unfair for people to not know that this 150$ controller is prone to the same crippling aiming issues as the low end ones -_- Tired of seeing people get burned by "premium" tech that carries over the same issues of their pre makes.

Thats it. Not trying to make some scuf vs elite debate, simply want more people to be informed that this thing has issues. Or am i missing the point of OT's like this entirely? are negative information not suppose to be present for people to read? I never made an OT so its very possible i am just barking up the wrong tree here trying to get this elite slow turn info to as many ppl as possible through this thread.

Okay I get it. Geez. I'll update the OT. However, this being NeoGAF, I doubt a lot of people will see it.

Okay I get it. Geez. I'll update the OT. However, this being NeoGAF, I doubt a lot of people will see it.

You underestimate how many people lurk neogaf, see news then spread it. Word of mouth is pretty powerful. Spartan companies alone got an INSANE boost influx moments after the gaf thread popped up about it. I know it wont change the world but I know a lot of people read these OT's especially when the hype is high for something.

I just want more gamers to be informed is all <3 And thank you for adding it for me.

Navy Bean

You underestimate how many people lurk neogaf, see news then spread it. Word of mouth is pretty powerful. Spartan companies alone got an INSANE boost influx moments after the gaf thread popped up about it. I know it wont change the world but I know a lot of people read these OT's especially when the hype is high for something.

I just want more gamers to be informed is all <3 And thank you for adding it for me.

Dude, I haven't even opened mine yet! Let me enjoy it for a few hours lol.

Honestly, I have never had a problem with the regular X1 controller so we'll see.

Btw, does your scuf have the same issues or are the insides different?

Dazzyman

I absolutely love the controller. Was using a scuf one previously so the paddles felt really weird at first because they are curved and more sensitive.

Right now I only have the top two paddles in and in Halo 5 I have left set to thrust and right set to zoom because zooming is finicky with the thumb stick at times.

It feels utterly perfect to me. The paddles feel so natural to me now. I may try putting in the bottom two and map swap weapons and melee but it might not be worth it. I feel like I can grip the controller much more naturally with the bottom two missing.

I showed the controller to my girlfriend and even she could appreciate the quality even though she doesn't play games at all.

I've just got mine today and agree that taking the lower paddles out makes the pad better. Its perfect for manual shifting on Forza.

I love the app....so many things to tweak woot :)

Dude, I haven't even opened mine yet! Let me enjoy it for a few hours lol.

Honestly, I have never had a problem with the regular X1 controller so we'll see.

Btw, does your scuf have the same issues or are the insides different?

I'm curious about this as well. Do the Scuf controllers actually have different insides or do the competing brands to Scuf have different insides either? Like Cinch and other brands like it? Somehow I doubt it.

Hawk269

There's a different version available for non-NXOE users right now that is missing some of the more advanced options.

Wait...what?? So what is the non-NXOE version missing that the NXOE one has? I did not know there were different versions of the App. I don't have NXOE at the moment, so just curious as to what it different.

SwolBro

Banned
What is slowturn?

Edit: I googled it. Yeah that sucks.

something that has plagued practically all thumbstick controllers sense they were introduced. it's now a big thing because of the internet.
it's like drift, in where it happens but it happens rarely. i've been unlucky with 2 controllers that got plagued with drift, never had a slow turn controller.
slow turn is less of a problem then drift actually. so, i don't know why the hell that guy is insisting on going crazy over the OP mentioning it at all.

I had a problem with my Advanced Warfare controller getting drift. It was bad enough to quit using it and go back to my Day One controller. Now I have my Elite and I love it so far.

Yaari

If I like the controller a lot I might look into a CronusMAX too. I wonder if that thing would work for the Surface Pro. It would almost be like just buying a X1 wireless adapter for PC.

GECK

So everything was fine until yesterday. Now I can't hear party chat at all - using elite controller + adapter + mixamp. I opted out of preview dash, hard reset but it's still broken. How do I fix this?

Top Bottom