• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Drago

Got my controller in the mail earlier today. Have only been able to use it for about 2 hours so far but it's fucking brilliant. Some impressions because, why not:

-The build quality is so damn solid. The rubbery matte finish is great, the grip texture feels amazing in my hands, and the metal finish on the sticks, dpad, paddles and triggers is damn sexy. It's lovely.

-The analog sticks feel smoother than any other analog stick I've used, they feel great to just move around. I'm a big fan of those tall sticks, too!

-The d-pad is also excellent... never thought I'd say that about an Xbox controller! Not a huge fan of the dome one however, though I'd like to try it out some more before I dismiss it entirely. The 4 way one is fantastic though, the clicks are satisfying and it doesn't feel flat like the standard XBO dpad. Very, very happy with it, and I hope it's the basis for all future Xbox controllers.

-Never had a problem with the old bumpers on the original XBO pad but wow, the new ones really are a massive improvement. Way easier to press, for sure.

-Being able to lock the triggers halfway is great. Don't have much more to say here lol, it's a very welcome addition.

-The paddles really weirded me out when I first saw them, and I was still skeptical up until actually using them. They're nice... very nice! I wanna mess around with mapping them a bit more and see what works best for me but I really love having this extra input. I am glad I can take them out too if I don't want to use them for a certain game.

-Haven't messed with the really technical stuff like trigger and thumbstick sensitivity yet, don't know if I really will, but I appreciate them having those options and going so far with them.

I'm already about to call it the best controller I've ever used, honestly. My only negatives are that you can't map inverts to thumbsticks (please add this option eventually!) and that it didn't come in white to match the color of my Xbox, but that's a minor thing that barely even counts lol.

The $150 pricetag is really scary but it's totally worth it, I already know it's gonna be my defacto controller for years and years to come. I only wish that I could use it for EVERYTHING, not just XBO and PC. :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
This controller is damn amazing, and the software is extremely intuitive. Fantastic first impressions.

Honestly, my only frustrations are the loose sticks (which ultimately is a big issue for me, and may keep this controller from becoming my all time favorite); and I wish they had a stick that was even a little bit shorter, crazy enough. I initially wanted the paddles to be a bit more resistant to being pressed - as I hit them too often; but I can already tell I'm getting "better" at avoiding accidental presses.

Shy

I meant to post this earlier.

As i don't have the twitters, would one of you lovely people please tweet the real Phil my suggestion about making a Lunar variant of the Elite in the future. Please.

SwolBro

Banned
If/when they add custom curve support, you could probably do something sort of like that. You obviously wouldn't be able to do anything about any max turn speed differences, but you could have it set up so that smaller stick movements translate into larger input to the game. The Win10 Instant setting is an extreme example - it's like playing with a stick that goes instantly from centered to max - but a more subtle version might do what you want.

Without knowing exactly how Halo interprets stick input and translates that into viewpoint velocity (and how that changes with the sensitivity setting) it's hard to say for sure, though.

Right now, you're limited to a few preset curves, unfortunately. However, given that the curves are different between the old dash and the NXOE/Win10, it seems that the hardware supports arbitrary curves, so hopefully at some point they'll add a custom option.

so, uhhh what exactly do these curves do then? only eliminate deadzone?

I know I will be getting this towards the end of the year. I love the sound of the impressions and the ability to switch pads and adjust sensitivity.

Kaibutsu

God seriously, Microsoft support is the absolutely worse. Looks like I have to return a $150 product over a $10 USB cable because they are not willing to replace what they didn't include in the freaking box...

SwolBro

Banned
God seriously, Microsoft support is the absolutely worse. Looks like I have to return a $150 product over a $10 USB cable because they are not willing to replace what they didn't include in the freaking box...

Press it. press it further, go up the ladder.

Isurus

There was supposed to be a USB cable in there? Funny, mine didn't come with one either.

This thing is fantastic! I wouldn't call it an essential tool for serious play, but I can see myself becoming a bit spoiled by its convenience and flexibility factor the more I use it. Just need to break muscle memory formed over decades to adjust first instincts for more natural reactions for using the paddles.

level1

There was supposed to be a USB cable in there? Funny, mine didn't come with one either.
The compartment it's stored in is quite easily missable. There's also 2 batteries stored with it. I would go back and check because it's actually a pretty nice high quality cloth cable.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
my cable box was stuck to the top of the card bit that you pull out to revela the manual etc.

easy to miss!

E92 M3

Feel dumb for asking, but can someone please give me a quick explanation on sensitivity curves? Tried googling, but didn't get a lot of information pertaining to the elite.

shanafan

I wouldn't bother. That cable goes for $8 on Amazon. I won't return it for the sake that something could happen during the transaction.

But, between my electronics, I have like 4 of those cables.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I know I didn't pay the full amount for this, but I really really hope these are made compatible on the next Xbox.

Kaibutsu

I wouldn't bother. That cable goes for $8 on Amazon. I won't return it for the sake that something could happen during the transaction.

But, between my electronics, I have like 4 of those cables.

It's really not about the cable, I have plenty of cables, it's about how Microsoft is unwilling to fix a screw-up in manufacturing and basically accuse their customers of trying to get a $10 USB cable for free.

edit: I mean I paid $500 for your console, paid another $150 for your controller, do you really thing I will be trying to scam you for a freaking $10 cable? Ugghh, makes me so mad

Vooduu

This is the best controller I have ever used. Everyone that designed it needs a huge raise.

Yup, I agree 100%.

One thing I love is he weight, some call it "heavy" but I like a controller that feels solid in the hand.

Unlike something like the DS4 that literally breaks I the hand lol...

Then again, we did pay that premium price.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's really not about the cable, I have plenty of cables, it's about how Microsoft is unwilling to fix a screw-up in manufacturing and basically accuse their customers of trying to get a $10 USB cable for free

Sending the controller back wouldn't help them any more, either, considering you could have (not saying you did) just take the box out and claim it was never there. You'd have hoped a photo of the box and receipt would be enough.

Not saying you should have to, but it might be worth raising this on /r/xboxone. Major Nelson is normally pretty good at picking this stuff up and helping to resolve it. I'm happy to upvote it to get attention.

Yup, I agree 100%.

One thing I love is he weight, some call it "heavy" but I like a controller that feels solid in the hand.

Unlike something like the DS4 that literally breaks I the hand lol...

Then again, we did pay that premium price.

Bang and Olufsen actually add lead to their remote controls to make them feel more premium - because quality materials and design don't necessarily mean more weight, but the perception is the opposite. /uninterestingfactoftheday

LowSignal

Mine was waiting for me when I got home yesterday, I beat the last 4 levels of Halo 5 on legendary with it. Amazing, I can't believe how nice it is

Kaibutsu

Sending the controller back wouldn't help them any more, either, considering you could have (not saying you did) just take the box out and claim it was never there. You'd have hoped a photo of the box and receipt would be enough.

Oh I totally agree, that's why I'm getting so pissed off about this. The people I have spoken to at Microsoft Support, in messaging, on the phone and on twitter, all say that I need to return the controller to the store for a replacement. I keep trying to explain to them that 1) it's stupid to return a $150 product because someone forgot to put a cable in the box 2) Target does not have stock of the controller for a replacement.

It was in the very bottom under everything so it could be easily missed and tossed out. The USB cable was in a small black box that looked like packing material if I'm remembering correctly.

To the guy mad he didn't get a USB cable and is angry with support. Do you think they have these USB cables just laying around and can drop one in the mail for you? It's not like Johnny in tech support has a box of USB cables on his desk to send you . the USB cable witch isn't even that nice if its such an issue you can return your controller.

I'm betting you tossed it out or it's still In the little black box that looked like packaging material.

DirtyLarry

Im using a pair of headphones+mic I got with my phone with it. It works as you would imagine

The headset jack supports a microphone as well as audio out.
Thanks. I think my MS Stereo headset may have shit the bed as the mic just was not working. Will try another headset out tonight when I get home from work to make sure it is not somehow the controller.

Vooduu

Bang and Olufsen actually add lead to their remote controls to make them feel more premium - because quality materials and design don't necessarily mean more weight, but the perception is the opposite. /uninterestingfactoftheday

It is interesting but it just depends on the product. Premium materials will always be wants but something like controllers, where I put force and the weight of my hands repeatedly (lol), is where I want weight.

Things like cell phones, laptops, or other mobile products, I do not.

It was in the very bottom under everything so it could be easily missed and tossed out. The USB cable was in a small black box that looked like packing material if I'm remembering correctly.

To the guy mad he didn't get a USB cable and is angry with support. Do you think they have these USB cables just laying around and can drop one in the mail for you? It's not like Johnny in tech support has a box of USB cables on his desk to send you . the USB cable witch isn't even that nice if its such an issue you can return your controller.

I'm betting you tossed it out or it's still In the little black box that looked like packaging material.
+1

Justinh

I love the heft to the controller. That plus the soft touch makes it feel nice in the hands as it feels substantial without feeling like any old hard,heavy thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs&feature=player_detailpage#t=6

I agree with those who say that they should press further with Microsoft customer service, though.
They paid 150 bones for this and for them to kinda say "not our problem, replace it at where you bought it" really rubs me the wrong way. Plus, since I've been unlucky with usb cables on Amazon (I paid 7 dollars on one and it melted and close to 15 I think on a pack of three flat cables and they're currently having issues where they don't stay connected), I'd like to know I got a good one.

Kaibutsu

Wow, ok. At first I thought you were trying to be helpful because the cable was easy to miss but I see you are just as ass. Thanks. No I didn't throw it away, before I made any attempt to contact customer support I made sure there was nothing in the packaging, under the flaps, under the cardboard controller holder, etc. It is possible for things to be left out of boxes during manufacturing/packaging , it happens all the time. Also I don't expect this person you invented named "Johnny" to pick a cable off his desk and send it to me. Do they seriously not have replacement parts? Is the best course of action to return an entire non-defective thing for one missing cable?

b0bbyJ03

Just bought the Cronusmax plus so that I can use this bad boy on my PS4. Works perfect for anyone interested in that option. Played some RL and its awesome. Can't wait to try something that would benefit from the having the paddles. Might reinstall Destiny again.

Wow, ok. At first I thought you were trying to be helpful because the cable was easy to miss but I see you are just as ass. Thanks. No I didn't throw it away, before I made any attempt to contact customer support I made sure there was nothing in the packaging, under the flaps, under the cardboard controller holder, etc. It is possible for things to be left out of boxes during manufacturing/packaging , it happens all the time. Also I don't expect this person you invented named "Johnny" to pick a cable off his desk and send it to me. Do they seriously not have replacement parts? Is the best course of action to return an entire non-defective thing for one missing cable?

Haven't read if you said or not but did you have the two batteries in your box? I'm assuming they just left out the cable/battery box from your packaging if not.

Also are there any guides out there detailing everything that can be changed? I know I can just try it out but I like reading about how it changes something.

Kaibutsu

Haven't read if you said or not but did you have the two batteries in your box? I'm assuming they just left out the cable/battery box from your packaging if not.

Yeah no batteries either. That small, long black box with the cable and batteries was just not in the box. Looks like someone forgot to put it in before they sealed it.

Manac0r

Not sure if this is the right thread, but trying to connect my elite to my PC. The wireless adapter keeps saying 'setup blocked by group policy' and I m on Windows 10. Any ideas?

ChrisTopHer9

Neo Member
Keep checking Argos, it was sold out for me, but magically wasn't again this morning. It's on its way to me now.

Can I ask if you received yours from Argos?

Placed an order for one today (meant to come tomorrow). Wondering if it will turn up or get cancelled or something?

I'm just pointing out the support agents don't have shit like USB cables laying around. My play and charge USB cable broke and they Didnt have replacements It sucks the cable was missing return it to the store. I spent a few years doing tech support and customers are so unreasonable. If they could send you a USB cable they would. If it was me I would just chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

Don't get me wrong I would be annoyed but it's really nothing to cause a stink about.

thats too bad the bottom of the sticks are the same. Makes sense why people still hear the ticking from the sticks tho

Aside from the paddles it makes you wonder where the $150 is going. The normal sticks are very fragile and like to wiggle. Surprised they didnt beef them up

Spasm

Does anyone know, off the top of their head, if stick deadzone adjustment is the app? Someone mentioned it may not be yet. I need to fiddle with it, try to tune Halo 5's quicksand feeling near the stick-center.

FX-GMC

Does anyone know, off the top of their head, if stick deadzone adjustment is the app? Someone mentioned it may not be yet. I need to fiddle with it, try to tune Halo 5's quicksand feeling near the stick-center.

I think it's the aggressive sensitivity curve that exaggerates the first 30% or so of the sticks movement. May be worth a shot.

TipToeTiger

Neo Member
This may of been asked already, but does anybody know if it is still available in the UK online? Cant seem to find it anywhere :(

If not I guess it is try and buy it in a Game store?

Rootbeer

Banned
my target.com order is out for Early Delivery! was supposed to come Saturday but it's coming today. Only three days after release... not bad for a last minute order on top of the nice discount.

Gonna be a huge day... the last of my PC parts come so I should be building my comp today. Then I can try out the new controller.

b0bbyJ03

Not sure if this is the right thread, but trying to connect my elite to my PC. The wireless adapter keeps saying 'setup blocked by group policy' and I m on Windows 10. Any ideas?

Is this a work PC or something? group policy usually only applies to computers on a domain. Its blocking USB devices as a security measure. I'm assuming you're also not logging in as an admin?

Top Bottom