• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Neil_J_UK

Just bought the Cronusmax plus so that I can use this bad boy on my PS4. Works perfect for anyone interested in that option. Played some RL and its awesome. Can't wait to try something that would benefit from the having the paddles. Might reinstall Destiny again.

No delay at all? Anyone know a way of measuring the latency of this compared to a PS4 controller?

b0bbyJ03

No delay at all? Anyone know a way of measuring the latency of this compared to a PS4 controller?

There is no perceptible delay for me personally but I do believe it adds right under 2ms according to what I've read.

Actually I just looked it up and it says its adds about 1ms.

I know they're already making game-themed parts kits, but $30 is out of my interest range. I don't really need extra paddles and sticks (especially since you won't even be able to see the paddles whether you're holding it or displaying it). If they were to make game-themed packs with just the D-pad and disc piece, though (like that Gears disc they gave out, say around $10 for a 2-pack), I'd probably collect a lot of those. They could make a little carrying/display case for them. I totally want a Nuka Cola bottlecap disc.

Manac0r

Gutted. After all the positive praise I've heard, my pad has bad left stick drift. Keeps floating to the bottom right. Will this go or do I need to return?

Caja 117

Do the paddles feel like they have a click or do they just move freely and register at a set point?

Im not sure I get the descriptions used for example, but I say that they feel as the trigger buttons, and Honestly they feel good almost like something that should be part of any normal controller and I could see a future gen console using controller with paddles.

Daximuss

Tried out my Elite Controller on Halo 5 with just the short paddles on the bottom row. It took me a bit to get used to them, but now I can never go back to a standard controller. I mapped grenades to the left paddle and thrust to the right, and it has really helped my gameplay.

I think it's the aggressive sensitivity curve that exaggerates the first 30% or so of the sticks movement. May be worth a shot.

Aggressive is what I ended up settling on its feels the most natural to me in halo 5. Im not having all these aiming issues people are talking about.

Take this for what it's worth but the Store Manager at a local Gamestop told me they expect to have more Elites in November.

Disclaimer: They're usually clueless at this store.

Loving my Elite controller. I'm just using the the 2 top paddles for now. Have it programmed for sprint and thruster, though I'm thinking of switching sprint to change weapon/flag juggle. My only complaint is that I can no longer rest the controller on my leg because of the paddles. Obviously that's not a big deal. Still gotta get used to it though. I sometimes hit LT and nade myself when I meant to hit the left paddle to thrust...

shanafan

Thanks for this

This is huge for me, thanks so much! Now to start saving my pennies :)

I haven't been able to try it out yet, but I wonder how the CronusMAX identifies the paddles. Does it go by a default layout that the controller automatically has, or can you do a custom layout? I plan to try it out this weekend.

Does the adapter still have the 8 min timeout?

What is the 8 minute timeout? I really have only used the CronusMAX with PS4 controller on PS3, and WiiU on both PS4/Xbox One. Only one time did the controller stop working when I was using WiiU Pro controller on Xbox One. But other than that, no issues.

C-Sword

I haven't been able to try it out yet, but I wonder how the CronusMAX identifies the paddles. Does it go by a default layout that the controller automatically has, or can you do a custom layout? I plan to try it out this weekend.

What is the 8 minute timeout? I really have only used the CronusMAX with PS4 controller on PS3, and WiiU on both PS4/Xbox One. Only one time did the controller stop working when I was using WiiU Pro controller on Xbox One. But other than that, no issues.

A controller authentication reset is performed every 8/10 mins on the PS4

Kaibutsu

I'm just pointing out the support agents don't have shit like USB cables laying around. My play and charge USB cable broke and they Didnt have replacements It sucks the cable was missing return it to the store. I spent a few years doing tech support and customers are so unreasonable. If they could send you a USB cable they would. If it was me I would just chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

Don't get me wrong I would be annoyed but it's really nothing to cause a stink about.

Since you would move on you can always just send me your cable.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Walked into Argos today and picked one up with no issues. So I cancelled my Game.co.uk pre-order that was due on Tuesday.

This controller is awesome!

FX-GMC

So, how are the people who've had ticking joysticks doing? Has it stopped?

It's still there. The noise also occurs on both my regular XB1 controllers (albeit the noise is a lower pitch and harder to hear) which makes me think the noise isn't an issue but just a side-effect of the design used. Your opinions may vary.

For me it's not worth the time or worry to do anything about it since the replacement would probably make the same noise anyway and the fact that it doesn't affect the performance of the controller in use.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Who was the person who suggested having the two smaller paddles, one bottom-left and top-right? I think I love you. It feels so much better than trying to contort my hand into a position that lets me press all four.

I'm serious - this is definitely the way to use it.

jbug617

Banned
Via Aaron Greenberg
CSl16uxU8AAOWcJ.jpg

It's a concept controller Ford did.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/10/06/2015-sema.html#forza-ford-gt

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller is a one-off design exercise from the Xbox Hardware team inspired by the Ford GT and the release of Forza Motorsport 6 which features the Ford GT on the cover.
Carbon Fiber case parts create rigidity and lightness in the controller, the same way it is used on the GT chassis.
Custom metallic paint job matched to Ford’s specifications.
Left thumbstick shape inspired by the GT steering wheel and angled towards the player for a more ergonomic experience. A horizontal movement limiter also ensures efficiency and accuracy in steering.
Custom paddles inspired by the steering column paddles shifters on the GT. Program them on your Xbox One to shift up, down and even to engage the clutch.
See through battery door and custom battery pack inspired by the engine compartment and EcoBoost V6 engine.
Cutaway brake and accelerator triggers reveal the impulse motors that give Forza Motorsport 6 its realistic feel.

Justinh

Whoops, I actually did know that. Thanks for the reminder!

Just be aware that if you're like watching netflix or something and and leave the controller alone for a while and it goes to sleep, the paddles will re-enable when you turn the controller back on.

Mother-effer! I already have a problem with buying and collecting the "regular" 60 dollar controllers!
That thing is so pretty!

high res 1

high res 2

man, Ford makes some pretty controllers. I guess it's a good thing they're not for sale...well, I guess at least not now. I'd totally buy the shit out of that elite...I think...

What stick sensitivity has everyone been using? Been using aggressive in halo.

I've just been using the default in the app, but I use 6 or 7 in game for the Halo games or Destiny.
I'm not too interested in getting used to strange curves...

Anyone got scratches on their paddles too? Bought the Elite Bundle today btw ( already out in the Netherlands ) and the 2 largest paddles have minor scratches / markings on the sides.

Damn lol. Sites reporting on the Elite controller took his post as if he were actually Phil Spencer.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10/28/xbox-elite-wireless-controller-sold-out/

Xbox boss Phil Spencer took to the NeoGAF gaming forums, echoing the statements of the spokesperson.

Microsoft is “definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product,” he said. “The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand.”

http://www.winbeta.org/news/xbox-one-elite-controller-sold

GamesBeat also noted a message from Xbox boss Phil Spencer posted on NeoGAF, who said that Microsoft didn’t expect the demand:

Top Bottom