• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

shanafan

I really want the Elite Console now, but spending a few hundred dollars doesn't seem like a good idea right now. They're always announcing new consoles, and the Slim may be announced soon.

Plus, I have 3TB of storage.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a Xbox One slim, not any time soon at least.

Madness

I really want the Elite Console now, but spending a few hundred dollars doesn't seem like a good idea right now. They're always announcing new consoles, and the Slim may be announced soon.

Plus, I have 3TB of storage.

Don't count on it, especially with how Microsoft doesn't have the lead. It took them almost 5 years to come with the Slim last gen, and that was more to move away from the launch platform and RRoD as well as to bring in WiFi. The Xbox One is a solid workhorse so far, much quieter and runs cooler. Would be smarter to keep the same size profile, come out with greater hdd sizes and newer cooler paint schemes. This gen won't go on as long either, so who knows.

It's crazy to me, a local EBGames told me not to expect any Elite controllers in Stock until at least Christmas. That's just such a missed opportunity to catch all the Halo 5, Black Ops 3 and Battlefront buyers.

shanafan

Has anyone been able to update the Xbox Accessories app? I haven't been able to since Friday, and I can't update my button schemes because the system wants the updated version. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that hasn't helped.

I checked my network connection, and the report I get back is that my connection is fine, but there is a problem with Xbox Live.

EDIT: Guess it's a wide issue right now. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4677/p/2069020/5472291.aspx

I was gifted an Xbone yesterday and now I want this controller. Dammit I should have bought it a few weeks ago - now I have to wait until Spring 2016 via Amazon!

Chorazin

Aren't the internals basically the same as a stock controller? Doesnt make sense why there is a back order unless they are fixing some things.

They also need to make the new parts, and add whatever memory chip to the PCB that's used to store the controller config. It's never as easy as you think to build these things.

Boston

I took the bottom paddles off and flipped the top paddles upside down, it made it so much better. This thing is a game changer for Halo and Blops3.

sTiTcH AU

I will never be able to go back to a regular controller. On BO3 i have the paddles set for jump, crouch/slide, melee and reload. Analogue sticks set to smooth and my right trigger to only be able to push in half way and I feel like I am unstoppable. The first day or so I was shocking though as I had to think about what paddles to press.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am with everyone. This shit is so good. I cant stop holding it. Fuck, its soooo good. I am only using two paddles though.

eifer

I took the bottom paddles off and flipped the top paddles upside down, it made it so much better. This thing is a game changer for Halo and Blops3.

It really is. I map boost to left lower paddle and melee to right lower paddle. There's no way I could do without them now.

I will never be able to go back to a regular controller. On BO3 i have the paddles set for jump, crouch/slide, melee and reload. Analogue sticks set to smooth and my right trigger to only be able to push in half way and I feel like I am unstoppable. The first day or so I was shocking though as I had to think about what paddles to press.

Yep, I'm right there with ya....this controller is freaking amazing and I'm glad I went straight to 4 paddles instead of 2 even though it wasn't pretty in the beginning with me pressing paddles all over the place.

My worst enemy in BO3 right now is the BS lag. When it's good I'm killing it but the next round it feels like I'm playing on dial-up from the 90's.

I just ordered a CronusMAX Plus so I can use this on my PS4 as well.

bodine1231

Got my Elite bundle last night and played through the first mission in Halo 5. The controller feels nice and the paddles are really helpful. Im still not used to them yet (using only 2 of them) but after extended use I can see it being hard to go back to the DS4 for PS4 gaming.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a Xbox One slim, not any time soon at least.

Don't count on it, especially with how Microsoft doesn't have the lead. It took them almost 5 years to come with the Slim last gen, and that was more to move away from the launch platform and RRoD as well as to bring in WiFi. The Xbox One is a solid workhorse so far, much quieter and runs cooler. Would be smarter to keep the same size profile, come out with greater hdd sizes and newer cooler paint schemes. This gen won't go on as long either, so who knows.

It's crazy to me, a local EBGames told me not to expect any Elite controllers in Stock until at least Christmas. That's just such a missed opportunity to catch all the Halo 5, Black Ops 3 and Battlefront buyers.

Good points

I just don't want to buy a new console and spend hundreds of dollars, then see them announce a better model I want more or a Slim within a year or so. I get buyer's remorse easily.

2Shea

Ended up pulling the trigger on the Elite console, taking advantage of GameStop's deal.

Overall, I think it was totally worth it. This controller is amazing, and having a matte xb1 with a 1TB hybrid drive is a great bonus. The build quality is outstanding, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Most likely doing as others have said, and ordering a cronus max for my PS4 as well. It's just too great to not.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WAT.

they're sold out until spring? shut up.

That will be a placeholder date or one they are easily comfortable stating, not necessarily the first possible date. It's a completely new segment and the controller exceeded everyone's expectations- even at that price. Not surprised demand is so high but it was terra incognita for the segment.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
If you are in Toronto, go to Microsoft store Mississauga. They had 40 in stock yesterday.

shanafan

Has anyone been able to update the Xbox Accessories app? I haven't been able to since Friday, and I can't update my button schemes because the system wants the updated version. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that hasn't helped.

I checked my network connection, and the report I get back is that my connection is fine, but there is a problem with Xbox Live.

EDIT: Guess it's a wide issue right now. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4677/p/2069020/5472291.aspx

App was updated. All good now.

Fjordson

Was hoping to get one for Fallout 4 tomorrow. Damn! I should have pre-ordered on Amazon months ago lol. Wanted to wait for reviews since I figured I could find one after release.

SwolBro

Banned
That will be a placeholder date or one they are easily comfortable stating, not necessarily the first possible date. It's a completely new segment and the controller exceeded everyone's expectations- even at that price. Not surprised demand is so high but it was terra incognita for the segment.

Well, i already have mine =)

What i really want is replacement parts. I'd really want a standard length convex thumbstick and maybe some different shaped paddles to test out.

Frank, anything planned to have a proper Halo themed Elite or would it be more custom dpad type of thing?

BusterJol

Anyone see this beauty yet? ;)
GU1hQsk.jpg

Madness

Man... All the local stores here saying don't expect it till at least Christmas, if not later. Such a missed opportunity. Every single person I know who has Halo 5 or Black Ops 3 or the upcoming Battlefront wants this controller or already has it. And it's almost $200 CAD here with tax. Such a niche item and yet something we all want. If I were you, if they have started production, can you try and see if you could somehow get the Locke/Chief color schemes available for the Elite as well. I'd even pay more than the Elite controller cost if that's possible.

I really hope so. I'm playing Halo 5 with the standard controller and it's fine for recon controls but the Elite controller would make it way easier to do certain things.

Plus, I need that dpad. The Wii U Pro Controller and DS4 have amazing dpads so I would like my Xbone to have the same thing.

Wurdfurd

Can safely say this is the BEST controller I've ever used. I'm using it with just the 2 small paddles on the upper back right now but its made the way i play shooters completely different (and more enjoyable)

Definitely worth the cash.

RedRum

Banned
Started playing with the paddles for the first time tonight. Using the small ones at the top. Still learning not to inadvertently hit them.

Enordash

I also flipped the smaller paddles upside down but I'm using them in the top left and bottom right positions since my hands sit a little differently on each side due to the asymmetrical sticks. The rear paddles are worlds better than the Scuf controller I had. They also don't take a lot of force to push. I always felt that I had to squeeze too hard with the Scuf which goofed up my aim anyway.

In Halo, I mapped the two paddles to thrust and jump (using the default control scheme) since that allows me to keep my fingers on the sticks at all times during firefights. It has been wonderful so far. I also set the stick sensitivity curve to 'smooth' and I swear it has helped, but I haven't tested much so far. Has anyone fooled around with the sensitivity curves (especially in Halo)?

Chorazin

I also flipped the smaller paddles upside down but I'm using them in the top left and bottom right positions since my hands sit a little differently on each side due to the asymmetrical sticks. The rear paddles are worlds better than the Scuf controller I had. They also don't take a lot of force to push. I always felt that I had to squeeze too hard with the Scuf which goofed up my aim anyway.

In Halo, I mapped the two paddles to thrust and jump (using the default control scheme) since that allows me to keep my fingers on the sticks at all times during firefights. It has been wonderful so far. I also set the stick sensitivity curve to 'smooth' and I swear it has helped, but I haven't tested much so far. Has anyone fooled around with the sensitivity curves (especially in Halo)?

I have mine set to Aggressive. Soooooo good. That setting works great in BLOPS3 for me too.

Enordash

So i heard they wont be readily available till summer 2016.....is this true?

I've seen them available on Amazon and Best Buy that had shipping at the beginning of December. I was lucky enough to snag one at the grand opening of a Microsoft Store. If you are persistent, you'll find one!

Spasm

I'm really tempted to pick up the Elite console, but I already have an Elite controller. Would someone be interested in my controller pack-in? Paddle me if against the rules.

Enordash

I'm really tempted to pick up the Elite console, but I already have an Elite controller. Would someone be interested in my controller pack-in? Paddle me if against the rules.

I can't see you having any trouble selling that thing especially if you don't jack up the price by 100% like some are doing on eBay.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I played Geometry Wars Retro Evolved (BC) using my Elite for the first time the other day. It was glorious.

Onikaan

Hey guys. Need an assist. Just got my controller. Lovely piece of kit. Trouble is, I keep on hitting paddles when I don't want to. I'm using only the bottom paddles, the smaller ones. Any tips for holding or making them more... Clicky? I feel they're super sensitive.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

Enordash

Hey guys. Need an assist. Just got my controller. Lovely piece of kit. Trouble is, I keep on hitting paddles when I don't want to. I'm using only the bottom paddles, the smaller ones. Any tips for holding or making them more... Clicky? I feel they're super sensitive.

Which finger are you using to hit them? I have mine set so I can grip the controller with my ring and little finger then hover on the paddles with my middle fingers. Like I said above, I flipped the small paddles upside down and offset them so they rest with my hands better. They are incredibly sensitive (which I personally like), but with this setup, I haven't had many accidental presses.

Spruchy

Got really lucky and when I was visiting my parents in NJ, the local Microsoft Store had 2 in stock.

Picked one up, played Blops 3 and Halo 5 for an hour each and loved it. Paddles are a game changer, as is smooth stick.

Onikaan

Which finger are you using to hit them? I have mine set so I can grip the controller with my ring and little finger then hover on the paddles with my middle fingers. Like I said above, I flipped the small paddles upside down and offset them so they rest with my hands better. They are incredibly sensitive (which I personally like), but with this setup, I haven't had many accidental presses.

Cool, ill have a play around.

I think I just need to get used to it.

SwolBro

Banned

if you don't have anything essential mapped to them i'd take those specific ones off. Most people can't use more than 2.

Ideally, you'd want jump on one paddle on one side, and another essential thing on the other (grenade, reload, dash/thrust or something like that) .

You don't need to be using 4 pedals. And don't map something that isn't really needed that you might hit a lot.

Top Bottom