• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Chorazin

No one else is having issues like

Can't talk on Mic or can't turn on unless connected to Xbox

Are the batteries dead? Are they inserted correctly? I put mine in wrong the first time, there's no shame in it.

Try other batteries, could be the ones in the box aren't good.

shanafan

Been having a great time with the Elite controller on PS4 with Black Ops 3.

I am using the CronusMAX USB dongle, and it's working quite well.

This is the thread about the compatibility:

http://controllermax.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150770&page=3

- Timeout issue is solved with a button combo press after you feel the Elite controller slowly vibrate
- The issue with using LT and RT have been fixed

However, I can not get the Share button to work so I am waiting on a developer for followup.

But yeah, overall, pretty happy with it!

spectator

Apologies if this has been covered in the thread already, but has anyone A/B'd one of these with a Scuf and developed an opinion on which is the better value?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I like how people are selling them 400$ now. How do you not make enough of this even though theres 15 million xbox owners, but never run out of games.

Demand is crazy high. I went to 3 ebgames and 1 Microsoft store with my friend today. Not only its sold out but Its heavily back ordered item. Means its still coming in waves and there are people ahead of you who will get it before you. I can not believe. I feel like so many casuals are also jumping on board. Which MS did not expect.

Well people love premium stuff. Who knew lol

microsoft must be very happy with the revenue this will generate.

Justinh

Still not recognize by windows 7 when I plug it in ? Someone for a solution ?

Just a guess, but have you tried looking for something you where could manually set the driver in the device manager?

Microsoft seems to be spreading false advertising about this. All links to drivers take you to a page without said drivers.

I mean, I was able to use an Xbox One controller on my desktop when it still had windows 7 on it. Not sure what's going on here.

MaulerX

I like how people are selling them 400$ now. How do you not make enough of this even though theres 15 million xbox owners, but never run out of games.

With some of the great trade deals you could just trade your old XB1 for an Elite that comes with the Elite controller and end up paying a tiny fraction.

- Timeout issue is solved with a button combo press after you feel the Elite controller slowly vibrate

However, I can not get the Share button to work so I am waiting on a developer for followup.

How does this work? A special usb cable that you have to keep plugged in?

With some of the great trade deals you could just trade your old XB1 for an Elite that comes with the Elite controller and end up paying a tiny fraction.

I wish we had great trade-in deals here in Canada, because I'd be tempted to do just that.

I've begun the replacement process.

Lets get the dumb question out of the way first. Does it have batteries in?

Just saw this and it made me laugh.

I once contacted support because my controller wouldn't turn on, and would only work while connected. I had batteries in it, but it was the one time I'd put them in the wrong way.

I felt like an idiot. It was really stupid.

Lothars

I wish we had great trade-in deals here in Canada, because I'd be tempted to do just that.

I've begun the replacement process.
There's some pretty good trade in deals like get 250 for an xbox one trade in. I am tempted to do it mainly for a new xbox one since mine is having issues.

There's some pretty good trade in deals like get 250 for an xbox one trade in. I am tempted to do it mainly for a new xbox one since mine is having issues.

Well, you can get an Elite Console, plus BO3, thumbstick covers and a gift card for a restaurant for $549.99 plus tax. So, about $620. But that's a lot when you only get $250 for the trade-in of your original console, unless it's out of warranty and you don't mind spending the extra $400.

I'm having my console replaced, but it seems like the replacement got lost in transit. MS says it shipped it out, but the courier says it has no info on the tracking number, though the tracking number is valid. It should have arrived yesterday, so they're doing an investigation.

MS wonders if it really was sent out. At least one rep does.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

That is still nothing when you trade it towards the Elite console. Which is freaking 550$.

I did the math 250$ Trade in + Elite controller 192$ with tax = 442$.

Elite Console 622$ with TAX. So you still end up paying extra 180$ CAD

Boston

That is still nothing when you trade it towards the Elite console. Which is freaking 550$.

Today I traded my day one xbox for 250 and got an elite bundle with a game and a controller so it's worth it.

BizzyBum

This controller has definitely improved my game in Halo 5. Using the tall domed right stick with aggressive sensitivity and it just feels better. Still getting used to the paddles but when I don't have a brain fart my maneuverability feels like I'm playing Blops 3.

Yaari

If anyone can try this, but does your left analog stick make this very very quiet clicking noise every time you move the analog?

My right one does not, the left one does all the time. And sadly I am quite susceptible to stuff like that. If anyone can try it would be appreciated.

Like, I understand if it is supposed to be like that. But since you move the thing a thousand times during a session. It kind of bugs me. I feel some slight resistance on that stick when playing too.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I mean, I was able to use an Xbox One controller on my desktop when it still had windows 7 on it. Not sure what's going on here.
Right, we all were, but this is clearly different. And they PROMOTE Windows 7 support. It's all very frustrating and misleading.

shanafan

How does this work? A special usb cable that you have to keep plugged in?

Yeah, pretty much.

c3T0PMz.png

I have two USB cables. Above the picture, one USB cable connects the PS4 to the CronusMAX USB dongle (the dongle is too big to fit comfortably in the front PS4 USB ports).

I program the CronusMAX with the proper script via my PC (I just had to grab it from their website). From the CronusMAX, I have the USB cable that came with the elite controller going from the USB dongle to the controller.

I do have a bluetooth dongle where I would need less cords, but I prefer wired which I feel prevents the chance the wireless signal could die due to forced feedback being on.

Lothars

Yeah I know but I am still tempted because I have a day one console

shanafan

Xbox Accessories app needs an update, but there is an issue with Xbox Live. So, I can't use the app to update the buttons. Can't even launch it without updating the app.

charpunk

Thanks for this! Just used my elite to play uncharted and it worked really well. I love how it vibrates when you need to resync.

I'm having trouble using the chat headset with my elite controller, it recognises being connected but the little circle in the party app doesn't light up and the other members can't hear me. Is it a hardware issue? It works fine on my Day One controller.

Been messing around with it, because I'd rather not have to send it in/get a replacement, it's so hard to go back to the standard controllers! If I plug in the headset before switching on the controller, it seems to work fine, I can unplug and replug the headset back in after doing this and it will still work as expected. The issue seems to come about when I switch on the controller (and therefore console) first, and then plug in the headset. Then it seems like a coin toss as to whether it will work or not.

Doesn't sound like anyone else is having this issue though, maybe it's just a more complicated hardware problem?

Anyone know if Microsoft would be willing to send out a new thumb stick for the Elite controller? After 10 days of use, one of my two default sticks lost its magnetic ability. If Apply pressure while playing, I can actually remove it by accident now. It comes off a lot easier than my other stick, and doesn't have the same hold as it.

I either need a new one, or need to purchase a replacement.

So i got the elite bundle last night. I plugged in some iPhone earbuds and there is a terrible high pitched noise when they are plugged into my elite controller. Anyone else have this issue? I'll have to try to find another controller or headset to try but made me think the headphone jack was broken.

Apologies if this has been covered in the thread already, but has anyone A/B'd one of these with a Scuf and developed an opinion on which is the better value?

I have both and prefer the elite controller it feels much more solid.

My big issue with scuf is they use cheap switches for the paddles. The paddles buttons fail after extended use. I have had the left paddle button fail 3 times in a year and I only use my controller to play cod. I loved my scuf till i had to ship it back to be repaired every 3-4 months.

Justinh

So i got the elite bundle last night. I plugged in some iPhone earbuds and there is a terrible high pitched noise when they are plugged into my elite controller. Anyone else have this issue? I'll have to try to find another controller or headset to try but made me think the headphone jack was broken.

From what I understand iPhone earbuds use a different standard and should not work with gaming consoles. Someone posted a nifty picture explaining the poles...

Ah, well here we are. Check the link.
Apple headsets specifically I think won't work without an adapter, as the world is incapable of settling on a single standard even for seemingly-simple things like a 4-pole audio jack - see here, in the "Standards for audio jacks" section. Apple use OMTP, whereas the Xbox uses the CTIA standard you usually see on Android phones.

Sai

Does the Elite controller not charge the official battery pack? Or is it just an issue with the braided USB cable that comes with it? Weird, regardless... The battery pack has been pretty convenient, but I just snagged some Pro Eneloops along with the charger.

Also, thought I'd mention that this thing has bugged out on me a bit. Controller has abruptly disconnected on me a few times, and there have been a few instances where the Headset Adapter simply wasn't being recognized. Both issues could only be fixed by hard resetting my Xbox One.

From what I understand iPhone earbuds use a different standard and should not work with gaming consoles. Someone posted a nifty picture explaining the poles...

Ah, well here we are. Check the link.

Gotcha I'll look into it. I have a ps gold headset I'll use but just gotta find the male to male cable to connect. Hopefully there's no issues with that.

I remember when it first came out I thought they worked just with no microphone support.

MCD

Does the Elite controller not charge the official battery pack? Or is it just an issue with the braided USB cable that comes with it? Weird, regardless... The battery pack has been pretty convenient, but I just snagged some Pro Eneloops along with the charger.

Also, thought I'd mention that this thing has bugged out on me a bit. Controller has abruptly disconnected on me a few times, and there have been a few instances where the Headset Adapter simply wasn't being recognized. Both issues could only be fixed by hard resetting my Xbox One.

Are you in the preview program? There was an update to the controllers with 3.5mm port like the Elite. If you aren't then wait for the official update on 12th Nov.

Justinh

For me to get it working smoothly with the headset adapter, I have to connect it and my headset to the controller while it's off and then turn it on. When I plug them in while it's on it'll get screwy (I don't know how else to put it).

Also, I've noticed that the Xbox Accessories app doesn't like the headset adapter and it'll like...change my profiles around and just set new ones/mirror the one that's set. Like the damn thing snuck into my home and rearranged my furniture...

I just avoid the app when I have the adapter plugged in and only plug it in when the controller's off and then turn it on and then it'll work fine for me.

Sai

Are you in the preview program? There was an update to the controllers with 3.5mm port like the Elite. If you aren't then wait for the official update on 12th Nov.
Nah, not in the preview program.

It hasn't been a huge issue, yet. Glad the update's just around the corner though.

For me to get it working smoothly with the headset adapter, I have to connect it and my headset to the controller while it's off and then turn it on. When I plug them in while it's on it'll get screwy (I don't know how else to put it).

Also, I've noticed that the Xbox Accessories app doesn't like the headset adapter and it'll like...change my profiles around and just set new ones/mirror the one that's set. Like the damn thing snuck into my home and rearranged my furniture...

I just avoid the app when I have the adapter plugged in and only plug it in when the controller's off and then turn it on and then it'll work fine for me.
Yikes. That would explain some of the problems I've had. I'll try to keep this in mind for the next few days.

ApharmdX

Banned
I ordered one of these through Best Buy, says backordered two weeks. I hope I can actually get this before Christmas (it's for my son).

I really want the Elite Console now, but spending a few hundred dollars doesn't seem like a good idea right now. They're always announcing new consoles, and the Slim may be announced soon.

Plus, I have 3TB of storage.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Gotta say, even though I'm still miffed at how poor the triggers are, I really am loving the rest of this controller.

The smoothness of the thumbsticks is something that needs to be felt to be believed.

Even just using 2 paddles, they are extremely useful.

The updated bumpers are so much better than the V1 controllers.

I do appear to be having problems with slightly weak magnets on the domed sticks and would prefer domed but short sticks as opposed to them being longer than the standard ones. I also am still having the same same issue that I was having with the headset adapter where sound will just disappear until I re insert my A40 cable. Better than trying reinsert that adapter though, that was awful...

Special C

Anybody have any setups they are going to use for battlefront? I only use two paddles so I'm thinking left and right star cards (jump pack for sure). Jump and meele just aren't that important in SWBF.

Fjordson

Man it really sucks that this is so hard to find now. Called a ton of places around here and no one has it. Also have a nephew who works far Best Buy and he doesn't see any stores around with one in stock.

malfcn

Why didn't they make the grips more black then gray?

And is everyone making the triggers go 100% while half depressed with the locks?

Top Bottom