• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
EhOgJFT.jpeg

Ashamam

At least all versions of game pass will now come with included online play. The way they currently have it with GP core including it but not regular GP made absolutely no sense.
It was console that excluded it, which was beyond weird and felt like a landmine to get you to upgrade to ultimate. But with no 'console' tier, maybe that points towards no 'console' hardware next generation. All hardware will become PC variants.

GHG

Gold Member
Wait.......so PC Game Pass will continue to get day one games, but consoles (standard) will not get day one?

What the hell? They just kicked their console gamers in the nuts.

They've been kicking their console gamers in the nuts for close to a decade now. Ever since they went day and date with PC.

The launch of Forza Horizon 3 sealed it for me. Playing with/against people on the same servers in the same game, minus the montly online fee all while having better performance and graphics.

That's since evolved to the point where PC gamers get cheaper gamepass, the option to play via Steam, and first party games that launch first on PC.

Man Body GIF

A basic ass tier not getting day 1 games. Phil

molly ringwald stop GIF

What happened to gamepass core. That tier made sense for people just wanting to play online with a small rotation of games offered. Leave standard gamepass alone.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Will be real interesting to see their next console and if that is considered PC or something else. Either PC prices will increase and unify it, or getting their new system will have a bizarre markup for GP despite being basically a PC

Topher

Gold Member
A new tier called "Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September.

• Soon, Xbox Game Pass for console will be shuttered for new users only. Those already using Game Pass console with existing subscriptions will not be required to cancel.
  • Users currently on Xbox Game Pass for console will be allowed to maintain their subscription, as well as day one games.
  • New users on Xbox Game Pass in the near future will be greeted by a new Xbox Game Pass "Standard." This is more like EA Access, which includes Xbox's back catalogue, and doesn't include day one games. This will be priced at $14.99 per month, and will also include Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer (now known as Game Pass Core, confusingly). It doesn't include Xbox Cloud gaming. Game Pass Standard is launching in September.
  • Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will not be changed, but it will get a price increase. It will still include PC Game Pass, day one games, and hundreds of back catalogue titles, as well as cloud gaming. But, it is getting a price increase. The new price will be $19.99 per month, or $74.99 per year.
  • PC Game Pass is also getting a price increase, from $9.99 per month to $11.99.
  • Xbox Game Pass Core (Xbox Live Gold multiplayer) gets an annual price increase to $55.99 from $49.99, but it will remain $9.99 per month.

GSE-SoNbgAAeCjB

The annual price for Ultimate has been removed in the article.

Vq5lQnr.png

Astray

My thoughts exactly.

They are actively pushing people down this path at the moment.
I honestly am not %100 sure that the next gen Xbox is coming out.

It's very strange to see a company do things like this, clear cost cutting measures, and then just turn around and authorize doing R&D on a new gen set of gaming devices. They're almost contradictory tbh.

I think we're getting our answer on that by the time PS5 Pro releases, the coordinated shill reaction will be what we need to surmise what's exactly happening there.

Another thing I want to discuss is the idea that the new "standard" tier is not gonna have day 1 games.. So how does that impact 3rd party gamepass deals? I think we might be in for a surprise on those starting in 2025-2026ish?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
At 20 dollars a month, it absolutely isn't worth it for Microsoft's Day 1 games, CoD included.
Being honest, I'd probably hold at $20. I dont think I could go any higher. Just Flintlock alone is $40. Kunitsu Gami is $50. Dungeons of Hinterberg $30. Golden Idol is $18. That's just a fraction of the July games.
I guess I'll have to make a decision in 2027.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Tbh I do think these changes were going to happen either way, but the absurd Activision purchase made it happen sooner.

Dane

They know that vast majority or virtually all GP subscribers on Xbox consoles are Ultimate. Its the PC and mobile ones who are just their own tier service.

Honestly this is basically the remaining Core people into Standard (for trading Day one for online MP) or Ultimate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom