• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

GHG

Gold Member

Someone please put phils face on that gif.

I'm happy for you man. You haven't been yourself for weeks. You have that gleam in your eye again, that bounce in your step.

Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold

MikeM

Gold Member
The fact that $14.99 a month no longer gets you "day one" tells you everything you need to know.

They fucked it.
Wait.......so PC Game Pass will continue to get day one games, but consoles (standard) will not get day one?

What the hell? They just kicked their console gamers in the nuts.
Shows how they treat their console “family.”

And it seems their confusing naming conventions from Xbox has now bled over to GamePass lol you can’t make this shit up sometimes.

Nydius

Man, I really need your hopium dealer number.

Right? That's some high quality stuff.

It's awfully bold of him to assume they'll let a grandfathered Game Pass tier exist for another three years. They'll almost certainly come along and tell Game Pass Console users that they're being migrated into Game Pass Standard at some point. It's clear as day that they only want one tier to offer day one games, and it's Ultimate. (Edit: Well, two, counting PC.)

Last edited:

odhiex

So, they have GP Core and Standard tiers with no day one games, neither cloud gaming. PC Game Pass includes day one games, and GP Ultimate includes everything.

Does GP Standard includes online play?

I blame Sony for its confusing PS plus tiers lol.

hinch7

Yeah this was expected. The amount of people who would sub a month to play a game or two and dip out, must've been a lot. Guess the gig is up.

Also this is in advance of Blop 6, so I'd imagine they didn't want people to do exactly that.

Last edited:

Astray

The whole GP's identity was built around the Day-One policy.

They've basically killed the product in the long run.
This is them killing day 1.

As I said before, I'm interested in how this impacts their 3rd party gp deals. Those deals now cover a lesser part of the GP user base than before.

I guess that ties with the rumors of reduced deals and less gp money available to small devs.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
By that logic why even bother with Xbox, just go with PS Extra or Deluxe. You're still missing the hot releases 'for free' but at least the back catalogue is orders of magnitudes stornger.
Only thing I'm interested in is the new stuff. I buy a ton of games and typically don't need old games.

As I said, all 3 of the subs I listed have day 1 still.

PS+ games are usually so old even a 1 year old GP lower tier would be newer.

Last edited:

yurinka

So basically they are replacing the day one games on the mid-tier console GP for online MP and old games (on a PS+ fashion) and are increasing the price of everything. GPU now will cost $240/year.

GPU will now be the only way to have the day one GP games on console.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So basically they are replacing the day one games on the mid-tier console GP for online MP and old games (on a PS+ fashion) and are increasing the price of everything. GPU now will cost $240/year.

GPU will now be the only way to have the day one GP games.

PC Game Pass will also get day one games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

GPU will now be the only way to have the day one GP games.

GPU
PC game pass
existing continuing console game pass

the Standard is only for new customers, existing console GP will not be turned into standard.

Top Bottom