• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

Generic

Why is PC still getting day-1 games but not the Xbox? What's the point?

At least PC is still safe... (for now)

bYrkuLZ.png

adamsapple adamsapple

dunno, you tell me? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Already cancelled a few months ago because I just wasn't seeing the value. Definitely not seeing it now. I suppose it also helps that I almost never play online multiplayer games - and if I get the itch now I can just do that on Steam for free.

Jaybe

Is this why they have held back putting old Activision Blizzard games on the service, so they have content to dole out to Game Pass Standard?

Comedy Trick GIF by CBS

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I have heard they want to up the perks for GP users
I thought you said a new tier was coming but I probably misremembered.Anyway I think the plans changed because if there was a time to talk about new/better perks for gamepass, it would've been a the price increase announcement right?

Weird seeing a Gamepass thread get to 4 pages so quickly. Normally Neogaf ignores those threads as few pay it.
I've been using Ultimate for years. As long as the games come to PC I'll suffer a price increase.

baphomet

When are they adding the early access tier?

Why would they? Idiot gamers are just going to spend the $30 to upgrade to the Ultimate edition of the game that comes with early access.

A game that they'll completely lose access to when they stop paying their monthly fees.

Nydius

GPU
PC game pass
existing continuing console game pass

the Standard is only for new customers, existing console GP will not be turned into standard.

Again, you're utterly delusional if you believe Microsoft will allow a grandfathered "Console" tier to continue to exist. The only reason they didn't blow it up in this announcement is because they didn't want to deal with a bunch of pissed off fanboys. But it's coming whether you want to admit it or not. It is absolutely obvious to everyone (who isn't a shill) that their intent is to have one Game Pass tier on console and one Game Pass tier on PC which offers day one games. "existing continuing console game pass" is on very borrowed time.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I tried to tell 'em:

It took Netflix the best part of a decade to get where they are today and they are only now becoming profitable just as their subscription growth rate is flatlining.

If they continue to behave how they have in the last decade in terms of content acquision and studio growth then they will be in trouble again within the next couple of years.

Transitioning from being a company or division that is reliant on cash burn to becoming profitable is a delicate process that requires a lot of careful planning. When the number of subscribers you have is growing quickly at the start it's easy to get carried away but it's important to realise the rate of growth does not always go up at a consistent rate. At some point the YoY subscriber growth rate starts to taper off so the focus becomes more on extracting more money from the customers you already have - usually the first sign of this from the consumer side is a price increase.

I highly doubt Microsoft want the Xbox division pulling in a potential net loss for the next decade so they will most likely grow the number of studios they have in line with their gamepass subscriber growth rate rather than in anticipation of. The safest way for them to play this is to have a steady stream of high quality 3rd party content to pad out the service as they grow, rather than aquire a ton of companies too quickly that the service might not be able to sustain in the future.

images

yurinka

Why is PC still getting day-1 games but not the Xbox? What's the point?

At least PC is still safe... (for now)
MS has been slowly moving step by step their gaming business to Windows, which is their main platform.

But well, maybe in a year or two, once they rise the GP prices again, they may also remove the day one games on the PC GP too.

And then a year or two later more, maybe for the release of the next generation, they may remove the day one games from GPU (maybe only some of them).

xrnzaaas

So they'll be doing the same thing as Sony and try to tie their subs to a yearly subscription. Gotta say, 75$ per year wouldn't be a bad deal.

But who will want to pay 15$ for Standard when Ultimate will be only 5$ more expensive? They should've turned Core into Standard or something.

So they'll be doing the same thing as Sony and try to tie their subs to a yearly subscription. Gotta say, 75$ per year wouldn't be a bad deal.

But who will want to pay 15$ for Standard when Ultimate will be only 5$ more expensive? They should've turned Core into Standard or something.
i think its more insidious than that. One of the biggest issues in these sub-services is the churning. This is almost like a deterrent to unsub...for now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Core is redundant now that Standard will include online as well.

Should have just axed core, Standard and Ultimate as the only tiers.

bitbydeath

Again, you're utterly delusional if you believe Microsoft will allow a grandfathered "Console" tier to continue to exist. The only reason they didn't blow it up in this announcement is because they didn't want to deal with a bunch of pissed off fanboys. But it's coming whether you want to admit it or not. It is absolutely obvious to everyone (who isn't a shill) that their intent is to have one Game Pass tier on console and one Game Pass tier on PC which offers day one games. "existing continuing console game pass" is on very borrowed time.
Xbox Series is their last console if rumours are to be believed. Next-gen they’re going PC, so the grandfathered tiers will only last as long as the current gen.

Gp1

Okay... Time to redeem those ms reward points.

And the subscription business model keeps going.

Grow your user base by offering a good deal
Fuck your user base
Lose your user base
Grow your user base by offering a good value proposition again.

bender

What time is it?
Okay... Time to redeem those ms reward points.

And the subscription business model keeps going.

Grow your user base by offering a good deal
Fuck your user base
Lose your user base
Grow your user base by offering a good value proposition again.

Oddly enough the last price increase didn't effect point redemption costs for subscriptions.

Reactions: Gp1

Draugoth

Gold Member
I dont think Microsoft will want Halo on PlayStaiton anymore if they want to lock day One games behidn the Ultimate Subscription

Top Bottom