• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Game Pass Standard" is launching in September

DragonNCM

Think this is probably too "ton foil hat conspiracy" but it almost seems like MS is deliberately trying to make their console as unappealing as possible. First with this GP pricing compared to PC as you listed. But I also think back to about a month ago when they had their "E3" show. Revealing a new Series X, which is just a series X with an extra TB for $599 is insane. WTF is the market for that?

I don't think I can get myself to fully believe this but it almost seems like they really are trying to tank their consoles but kind of giving themselves an excuse at the same time. When they inevitably stop making consoles, I'm sure they'll blabber about how they had console options yet it got no support. Conveniently leaving out it had a horrible price proposition.
The same moment they find solution for gamers that can play their game library out of the Xbox consoles they will kill xbox console. Probably we will need to wait one more console generation to see it done for good.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox with 30mil consoles sold & 42 mil GP subscribers it is not in bad place at all.

We don't know current sales numbers but we know units sold have dropped significantly in the past year. Seriously doubt they are at 30 million.

Game Pass had 34 million subscribers once Xbox Live Gold was added into Game Pass so that 42 million number is completely wrong.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
We can talk about this when their next gen plans are formally revealed, so far the only thing we know is that they have committed new hardware and a new generation multiple times in the last couple of months, so outside of unfounded speculation, there's nothing to say that there won't be console hardware after the current gen.

I think it is interesting that when they talk about they avoid using the word "console". They only refer to "hardware".

Exactly. There needs to be a $11 console-only option. There is no valid excuse.
There is definitely an excuse, but it's not valid.

The problem, as I've come to understand it, thanks to this thread, is that Microsoft insists on pretending that the right to play games online is a privilege that is worth the amount they charge for it. They are not alone in this. The other consoles also pretend there is a real value there. What it actually is, is extortion. They are locking out core functionality of their hardware behind a paywall. That's probably why the tier that basically only includes online is called "core."

On PC, no such paywall exists, so, in theory, they can charge less for Day One access because the PC base tier doesn't have the "added value" of online access that Microsoft provides for the console's Core tier.

I've said it before, but the problem here is that Microsoft decided to make a set of PC Tiers to their sub service that only serve to highlight how ridiculous it is for console makers to charge for what should, in 2024, be a core functionality of modern systems. Not, as they've been treating it, a premium yet somehow optional extra.

They've exposed their scam for what it is. The smarter option would have been to just equalize the lowest sub tiers w/o losing day one access. They even could have raised both regardless of the lack of online needing to be provided for PC. That way, they could state that the Gamepass games were where the actual value of Gamepass comes from instead of refusing to let go of the concept that online is worth what they charge.

It's such an unforced error.

I always wondered why it took so long for Xbox to allow Free To Play games to run without Gold.

I am starting to see a pattern emerging. Perhaps Xbox was just trying to fight against Free To Play because it is eating GamePass's lunch. Back then the plan was to have 100 million subscribers by 2030. But that plan can't physically happen for as long as tens of millions of casual gamers keep playing Free games and nothing else.

Sure, these gamers pay a lot in lootboxes, but the fact is they would never accept any kind of subscription. Gamepass is basically a lost cause to such gamers because you can't lure them with "cheap games". They are already playing FREE games, "cheap" is too expensive.

This means the more popular Free To Play games is on Xbox, the less people would want to pay for Gamepass. So my new suspicion is that in the last few years, Spencer and Crew had been sabotaging the likes of Fortnite and forcing their players to pay Gold in order to play what would otherwise be a free game, because it makes those games less attractive. Because Gamepass was the only way forward and they can't risk people starting to spend all their money and time NOT on Gamepass.

Maybe that's why Genshin Impact is nowhere on Xbox even now. They are literal direct competitors to Gamepass subscriptions. 50million players. That is 1/2 of the 100million total subscriber goal Gamepass wanted. And if Genshin Impact ever show up on Xbox the Gamepass numbers would likely drop and not rise.

I always wondered why it took so long for Xbox to allow Free To Play games to run without Gold.

I am starting to see a pattern emerging. Perhaps Xbox was just trying to fight against Free To Play because it is eating GamePass's lunch. Back then the plan was to have 100 million subscribers by 2030. But that plan can't physically happen for as long as tens of millions of casual gamers keep playing Free games and nothing else.

Sure, these gamers pay a lot in lootboxes, but the fact is they would never accept any kind of subscription. Gamepass is basically a lost cause to such gamers because you can't lure them with "cheap games". They are already playing FREE games, "cheap" is too expensive.

This means the more popular Free To Play games is on Xbox, the less people would want to pay for Gamepass. So my new suspicion is that in the last few years, Spencer and Crew had been sabotaging the likes of Fortnite and forcing their players to pay Gold in order to play what would otherwise be a free game, because it makes those games less attractive. Because Gamepass was the only way forward and they can't risk people starting to spend all their money and time NOT on Gamepass.

Maybe that's why Genshin Impact is nowhere on Xbox even now. They are literal direct competitors to Gamepass subscriptions. 50million players. That is 1/2 of the 100million total subscriber goal Gamepass wanted. And if Genshin Impact ever show up on Xbox the Gamepass numbers would likely drop and not rise.

This is a good theory and very possible. With that in mind though they have to see that GP is a lost cause period because F2P is even more prevalent on mobile and PC. So while it's a good theory I'm not so sure it's true because if that's their mindset then they have to understand that there is pretty much no real growth opportunity for GP.

This is a good theory and very possible. With that in mind though they have to see that GP is a lost cause period because F2P is even more prevalent on mobile and PC. So while it's a good theory I'm not so sure it's true because if that's their mindset then they have to understand that there is pretty much no real growth opportunity for GP.
The 100million sub is probably what they needed to be profitable and not raise prices.
Since they HAVE raised prices, it means they have given up on that old goal.

Ozriel

M$FT

Your're arguing Microsoft is deliberating sabotaging major F2P games on Xbox that have the potential to bring in a ton of IAP revenue? Even when you know the decision to gate F2P behind paid subs predates GamePass? and even when Microsoft launched Halo Infinite's multiplayer as a F2P, potentially sabotaging GamePass by your logic?

You're saying they're deliberately blocking Genshin Impact from Xbox even though the game has the potential to make them many tens of millions of dollars in their storefront cut? And that people who pay for GamePass ultimate to play Day 1 games and a library of other games will ditch the service to play Genshin impact? Even when we've seen no impact on the higher PS+ tiers with all the F2P Mihoyo games on Playstation?

Hmm.

Your're arguing Microsoft is deliberating sabotaging major F2P games on Xbox that have the potential to bring in a ton of IAP revenue? Even when you know the decision to gate F2P behind paid subs predates GamePass? and even when Microsoft launched Halo Infinite's multiplayer as a F2P, potentially sabotaging GamePass by your logic?

You're saying they're deliberately blocking Genshin Impact from Xbox even though the game has the potential to make them many tens of millions of dollars in their storefront cut? And that people who pay for GamePass ultimate to play Day 1 games and a library of other games will ditch the service to play Genshin impact? Even when we've seen no impact on the higher PS+ tiers with all the F2P Mihoyo games on Playstation?

Hmm.
You are perplexed, but that is no more perplexing than Xbox blocking potential Fortnite Revenue by putting up a cost barrier.

It would not be the first time that a major corporation did something because they are trying to reach a certain business goal. For example, Sony deliberately cease selling games in countries that doesn't have PSN. That's millions of dollars lost RIGHT THERE.

The reality is that business leaders are not paid by their company by making money, they are paid by reaching salary benchmarks. And for a while until recently, one of the benchmarks for Xbox is the growth of Gamepass. Everything else is secondary if not detrimental to that goal. So if making millions more dollars from Free To Play games would affect Xbox's ability to grow Gamepass, then hell yeah they would restrict Free To Play games. Obviously this was a futile struggle, hence they have given up that fight. But it makes business sense even if it makes no financial sense.

Ozriel

M$FT
You are perplexed, but that is no more perplexing than Xbox blocking potential Fortnite Revenue by putting up a cost barrier.

It would not be the first time that a major corporation did something because they are trying to reach a certain business goal. For example, Sony deliberately cease selling games in countries that doesn't have PSN. That's millions of dollars lost RIGHT THERE.

The reality is that business leaders are not paid by their company by making money, they are paid by reaching salary benchmarks. And for a while until recently, one of the benchmarks for Xbox is the growth of Gamepass. Everything else is secondary if not detrimental to that goal. So if making millions more dollars from Free To Play games would affect Xbox's ability to grow Gamepass, then hell yeah they would restrict Free To Play games. Obviously this was a futile struggle, hence they have given up that fight. But it makes business sense even if it makes no financial sense.

Gating F2P games behind Xbox Live has been a thing LONG before GamePass existed. Kills your theory dead.

Truth be told, there's absolutely no logic in making F2P games free to play online, while keeping paid online games behind a subscription. But that's a whole other topic.

Is this related to your bold prediction that GP would be ended before end of the year?
already happened.
Or the one that claimed COD wasn’t going to be on GamePass?
Game pass standard and CORE aren't getting COD. sooo

my bold "prediction" has become true. it was not a prediction but a simple observation tho. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Best to clarify
No, this:
bF4Kcme.jpeg

always learning....

Ozriel

M$FT
already happened.

Game pass standard and CORE aren't getting COD. sooo

my bold "prediction" has become true. it was not a prediction but a simple observation tho. 🤷🏼‍♂️

No, this:
bF4Kcme.jpeg

always learning....

GamePass looks completely locked on to be alive and well by end year, and nobody in their right mind ever thought they’d be bringing COD to GamePass Core Day 1 🤣

0/2 so far.

Why in the world would I be ‘salty’ when I’m the one with a long term subscription to a service that provides me great value?

Oh boy.
Oh, that explains a lot.

as I said many times, one shouldn't feel defensive for an ill-advised service (for the company) if the consumer gets the value and even "hack" the systems to get even more out of it. that's good.

criticism, or just being skeptical about it shouldn't trigger any kind of emotion.

With these changes to GP, MS can kiss goodbye to the idea of getting 100+ million subs tho.

but hey! we are learning.

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh, that explains a lot.

as I said many times, one shouldn't feel defensive for an ill-advised service (for the company) if the consumer gets the value and even "hack" the systems to get even more out of it. that's good.

criticism, or just being skeptical about it shouldn't trigger any kind of emotion.

With these changes to GP, MS can kiss goodbye to the idea of getting 100+ million subs tho.

but hey! we are learning.

Not really my concern whether they hit 100 million subs or not. I’m a consumer. You’re free to cosplay as the CEO if you want.

I’m locked in to GP Ultimate until mid 2027. It’ll cover a ton of games that I’d enjoy playing. That’s value, given what I paid for it.

Not really my concern whether they hit 100 million subs or not. I’m a consumer. You’re free to cosplay as the CEO if you want.

I’m locked in to GP Ultimate until mid 2027. It’ll cover a ton of games that I’d enjoy playing. That’s value, given what I paid for it.
and thats what I say.

people always confuse the GP conversation and make it personal.

I don't care if GP makes you happy 😊, sad 😔 or angry 😡.

we are in a videogame forum, people argue about how many frames and pixels are displayed every second.

Again. we are going to see and learn.

Ozriel

M$FT

😔 why no one can see the beautiful future Phil Spencer is building for us?

Microsoft could probably just use your GAF posts proclaiming the imminent death of GamePass and Xbox as evidence that they aren’t having outsized power in the market.

That and a PDF file of the posts everytime the EU hardware sales numbers come out.

Last edited:
Microsoft will probably just use your GAF posts proclaiming the imminent death of GamePass and Xbox as evidence that they aren’t having outsized power in the market.

That and a PDF file of the posts everytime the EU hardware sales numbers come out.
🤷🏼‍♂️.
at this point I can see Phil literally crying in front of the court.

The 100million sub is probably what they needed to be profitable and not raise prices.
Since they HAVE raised prices, it means they have given up on that old goal.

Oh no doubt they've given up on the 100 million sub goal. There's no way that plan never included raising prices though all sub services raise prices it's impossible that they never expected to raise prices for the next 7 years.

Top Bottom