• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox going OEM route for next-gen? 3rd party consoles in the making?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I know I am not supposed to talk about Xbox next move so I wont comment on anything I have heard recently and will leave it at that

I have said before but heard this last summer the big boy Xbox COULD be a non-upgradable PC that has the console experience

Now does that mean the 3rd parties like Asus builds this that I can't answer because I simply don't know

Do we have 5 different companies making the same specced machines with an Xbox logo on them? Maybe

When do we hear more about their approach?

I think quite soon
Sounds like a nightmare for quality assurance. I can imagine a day in the future where we get digital foundry videos about the Asus Xbox Next vs the MSI Xbox Next, and see the MSI box suffering from lower frame rates due to over heating, throttling and a poor design, or the Asrock Xbox having a cheaper NVME that causes slower load times.

Last edited:
I know I am not supposed to talk about Xbox next move so I wont comment on anything I have heard recently and will leave it at that

I have said before but heard this last summer the big boy Xbox COULD be a non-upgradable PC that has the console experience

Now does that mean the 3rd parties like Asus builds this that I can't answer because I simply don't know

Do we have 5 different companies making the same specced machines with an Xbox logo on them? Maybe

When do we hear more about their approach?

I think quite soon
So are we talking a PC/Xbox hybrid? That plays either version of the game? And is this something the rumoured handheld could do?

Sounds like a nightmare for quality assurance. I can imagine a day in the future where we get digital foundry videos about the Asus Xbox Next vs the MSI Xbox Next, and see the MSI box suffering from lower frame rates due to over heating, throttling and a poor design, or the Asrock Xbox having a cheaper NVME that causes slower load times.
And you would end up with a Series S situation where a game is only certified to release on Xbox if it runs on ALL the machines. Trying to enforce feature parity between all these machines is going to be a nightmare.

Of course, Xbox could decide to NOT enforce feature parity... And that would mean inconsistent performance between different Xbox PCs. Leading to certain machines unable to run particular game titles properly. You know, like it is with PC games since forever.

Trying to be a PC but not actually be open platform, would be a very painful fence sitting experience.

sainraja

Theres absolutely no point in having a slew of 3rd party consoles....
That's called PC.

It would be a nightmare. If that is the plan, then Phil is even more of a retard than I thought.
If true, what is being hinted at, is a machine that will have the "target specs" specified by Microsoft - it will still be the Xbox, but made by different OEMs. Similar to what they do with PC. They make the OS while others make the hardware (I know they have their own hardware line, and there is nothing stopping them from doing the same with Xbox). So MS will design the Xbox OS and it's features, and the OEMs will need to configure hardware to support those features and the games.

Yeah, if you were going to choose a console game to make multiplatform to drive sales, Flight Sim would not be that title. Most of the playerbase is on PC.

Again, it’s easy to con gullible people when you tell them exactly what they want to hear.
God forbid people speculate about games, gaming hardware, etc etc on a gaming forum meant for discussion. Most of your posts read as: "Why are people discussing things?!"

Last edited:
Trying to be a PC but not actually be open platform, would be a very painful fence sitting experience.
If they went this route I think it would outright be a PC with some sort of Xbox dashboard that autoloads on boot and has some custom setup. Can't really do it any other way. I assume from then on all your games would just be PC games.

Also if they do this no subsidizing of the console at that point.

Last edited:

hinch7

If they went this route I think it would outright be a PC with some sort of Xbox dashboard that autoloads on boot and has some custom setup. Can't really do it any other way. I assume from then on all your games would just be PC games.

Also if they do this no subsidizing of the console at that point.
They have their own stores and there are well over a billion active users on Windows. They could do it if they wanted.

XXL

Makes sense that they might share their plans in advance of the PS5 Pro if they wish to stem people that are seeking a high powered console (or console-like) experience from leaving Xbox for the PS5 Pro.

From Xbox themselves
Bond teased Xbox has "some exciting stuff coming out in hardware" that the company plans to share this holiday. More interestingly, Bond teased a roadmap focused on next-generation hardware.

In my opinion, if they are actually trying to launch a new generation right now (alone)....that would be the dumbest idea possible to make.

1. Faith in Xbox is at an all time low
2. Xbox sales are falling off a cliff
3. This generation is just getting started
4. Their games are going to PC and PS5
5. If its more powerful than the PS5 Pro, it will be more expensive
6. Games don't sell well on Xbox, as is.
7. Having Steam integration will destroy their XBL revenue and game sales further
8. They're constantly pivoting and this would another pivot
9. PCs that you can't modify are a bad idea
10. I don't see people leaving their platforms for Xbox at this point
11. Most of their software revenue currently is coming from PS5 and PC.

I don't think anyone aside from the most hardcore Xbox fanboys would even be interested in it....and at that point, I could just see them building a PC over buying a PC that's not a PC.

I think a Pro system similar to PS5 Pro is more digestible (but all indications point to that not be the case), but trying to launch a new generation on a closed PC or new console...is absolutely ridiculous and won't go over well.

I just don't see people in mass having faith in them.

They need to repair their reputation in the community before trying to sell them on a new generation.

The only way a closed PC makes sense at all, is because they are completely shutting down shop in terms of consoles and they want to give their hardcore base a place to go so their game library doesn't evaporate...to begin transitioning them to PC, but again (depending on the price) I could just see them building a PC instead.

So it still doesn't make sense, in the end.

Just my two cents.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
From Xbox themselves

In my opinion, if they are actually trying to launch a new generation right now (alone)....that would be the dumbest idea possible to make.

7. Having Steam integration will destroy their XBL revenue and game sales further

I don't think anyone aside from the most hardcore Xbox fanboys would even be interested in it....and at that point, I could just see them building a PC over buying a PC that's not a PC.

I think a Pro system similar to PS5 Pro is more digestible (but all indications point to that not be the case), but trying to launch a new generation on a closed PC or new console...is absolutely ridiculous and won't go over well.

They need to repair their reputation in the community before trying to sell them on a new generation.

The only way a closed PC makes sense at all, is because they are completely shutting down shop in terms of consoles and they want to give their hardcore base a place to go so their game library doesn't evaporate...to begin transitioning them to PC, but again (depending on the price) I could just see them building a PC instead.

Just my two cents.
I still think its very appealing to many that simply don't want to game on a PC that deals with a PC all day at work, those who have massive Xbox libraries and those who might want the very best place to play 3rd party bangers that launch on console only first

But even all of those I mention are likely a small audience

Question is can it sway people away from possibly building a PC?

Could the new line be "Just buy the Xbox/PC"

clarky

Gold Member
From Xbox themselves

Just my two cents.
I'm just interested in an Xbox OS on PC so i can access my BC Library. If it worked like Steam bug picture, that i can just press a button on a pad and it boots from windows into xbox that would be sweet.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Think Steamdeck. This is exactly what they are doing they will release a handheld that can be docked but not required it will have set specs but third party can develop one and license their OS (a new one IS being made for gaming) think series s vs x. All games must be playable on the S but play better on X.

Microsoft will be releasing the S variant at a reasonable cost and may even offer an X variant for more and allow third parties to offer even higher tiers.

What concerns me is they need to ensure we get fully functionality with this system when docked. Meanwhile by we can get PC mouse and Keyboard along with at least web browser to make it functional outside of just gaming.

I’m just worried they get it in their head that everything must go through their store so they can get revenue from everything.

XXL

I still think its very appealing to many that simply don't want to game on a PC that deals with a PC all day at work, those who have massive Xbox libraries and those who might want the very best place to play 3rd party bangers that launch on console only first

Yeah, I just think that audience is incredibly small and with the state they're in currently, it's even smaller than it would have been for something like that a few years ago.

It's not the power, capability, price or form factor that is the main problem, it's the Xbox brand themselves.

Just to clarify, if you can answer. Are we talking "next gen" or upgrade to this gen?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, I just think that audience is incredibly small and with the state they're in currently, it's even smaller than it would have been for something like that a few years ago.

It's not the power, capability, price or form factor that is the problem, it's the Xbox brand themselves.

Just to clarify, if you can answer. Are we talking "next gen" or upgrade to this gen?
Next gen 100% with a fairly large upgrade to the CPU

From Xbox themselves

Just my two cents.
If they can transfer Xbox library to pc.
I'm just interested in an Xbox OS on PC so i can access my BC Library. If it worked like Steam bug picture, that i can just press a button on a pad and it boots from windows into xbox that would be sweet.
We need lawgaf to explain if Vc for pc breaks breaks any console contracts?

POKEYCLYDE

If the rumors of the next Xbox having steam on it are true, then I'll be getting it. If not, I'll seriously consider saving up for a PC.

If next generation is anything like this generation, I'll have 3 or 4 years into next generation before it's necessary to upgrade. Giving me time to save up for a PC.

Jaybe

This. They needed permission from publishers/developers to allow Xbox 360 games to be in the backwards compatibility program. I would imagine the same approval would need come from publishers for any movement to a PC platform. Fine for first party games, but I can’t see third parties embracing it. Many third parties don’t even have Windows store versions as it is let alone the Play Anywhere option.

DragonNCM

Qk15OBz.gif

XXL

If the rumors of the next Xbox having steam on it are true, then I'll be getting it.
I don't understand the Steam integration and how that would benefit Xbox. It would destroy their XBL revenue (which is basically all profit), unless they're are planning on needing XBL to access online on this device.

Another smaller reason is it may effect Game Pass subs, games on Steam are cheap and this includes some of the best games on Game Pass. For example....I bought Fallout 3, NV, FO4 and both older FO games for $10 on Steam for all of them. I bought Wasteland 3 for $9.

I love Steam, I use it more than I use the consoles I own, but I don't see the benefit for Xbox.

Yea the licenses is the main issue Xbox would have issues with in moving users from Xbox to PC. They can do it for their games but they need 3rd party approval for the rest.

I would absolutely pay €600-700 for a series x style machine that can do 1440p/60 and allows me to run steam

I think you're looking at paying more then that if they allow steam. They lose any reason to subsidize the machine.

Last edited:

RCX

Yea the licenses is the main issue Xbox would have issues with in moving users from Xbox to PC. They can do it for their games but they need 3rd party approval for the rest.

I think you're looking at paying more then that if they allow steam. They lose any reason to subsidize the machine.
Yep probably. I could go higher too.

I play on PC anyway but would enjoy a more plug and play experience.

bender

What time is it?

Define "many". Would Microsoft be happy with a new platform selling ~10 million units and only targeting a few specific regions? I know you've mentioned "side loading Steam" for a while now and that continues to make very little sense in my head (no offense to you of course).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Define "many". Would Microsoft be happy with a new platform selling ~10 million units and only targeting a few specific regions? I know you've mentioned "side loading Steam" for a while now and that continues to make very little sense in my head (no offense to you of course).
Not sure what they would deem acceptable sales figures wise but 10 million might be ambitious

I know I use my son a lot and him and some of his friends are Xbox only people but I know my son is all in on this new machine if it offers the console like experience and he can start to dabble in Steam games while keeping his Xbox library and still use it as a Gamepass machine

But again likely a very small crowd like this and dwindling

NickFire

Not sure what they would deem acceptable sales figures wise but 10 million might be ambitious

I know I use my son a lot and him and some of his friends are Xbox only people but I know my son is all in on this new machine if it offers the console like experience and he can start to dabble in Steam games while keeping his Xbox library and still use it as a Gamepass machine

I think the ability to play Steam games from a console could be a very solid draw for historically console only crowds (would have my attention at least). I think it could be attractive to historically PC only crowds too if the price was below what a PC would cost relative to the bells and whistles. Not sure the Steam access will be very compelling if a GP sub is required to play multiplayer Steam games though, especially for traditionally only PC people.

bender

What time is it?

Agreed. The same holds true for a handheld device. People deem Steam Deck wildly successful but I don't believe it's hit half of that mark yet.

Offering Steam easily would kill any incentive to use Microsoft's own store fronts which is the main reason you'd want to be a platform holder in the first place. I'm trying to factor in Game Pass as well but to me, a Series S like device makes a lot more sense than something that will be north of $1,000 and maybe far north of that.

Grain of salt from me though, I think Microsoft continuing the Xbox hardware brand is just compounding a long running mistake.

Last edited:

POKEYCLYDE

I don't understand the Steam integration and how that would benefit Xbox. It would destroy their XBL revenue (which is basically all profit), unless they're are planning on needing XBL to access online on this device.

Another smaller reason is it may effect Game Pass subs, games on Steam are cheap and this includes some of the best games on Game Pass. For example....I bought Fallout 3, NV, FO4 and both older FO games for $10 on Steam for all of them. I bought Wasteland 3 for $9.

I love Steam, I use it more than I use the consoles I own, but I don't see the benefit for Xbox.
The benefit is grabbing a larger slice of that console pie. Steam/PC is the best of all worlds. First party Sony games (albeit years later) and PC exclusives like Lethal Company.

So it would have the benefits of access to all games, with the plug and play nature of a console. At least that's why I'm excited to see if that rumor is true.

XXL

Offering Steam easily would kill any incentive to use Microsoft's own store fronts which is the main reason you'd want to be a platform holder in the first place. I'm trying to factor in Game Pass as well but to me, a Series S like device makes a lot more sense than something that will be northing of $1,000 and maybe far north of that.
I agree with all of that.

Only way this makes sense is the fusion of msft games everywhere and dwindling marketshare = another acquisition if the rumors of new Xbox store being platform neutral; my theory based on satay comment after actibliz.

If we can get flight sim 24 tech in many Xbox next games it would be interesting but opens msft to future regulations aka leveraging msft other divisions into Xbox. * note; last paragraph is based on another’s poster point.

XXL

The benefit is grabbing a larger slice of that console pie. Steam/PC is the best of all worlds. First party Sony games (albeit years later) and PC exclusives like Lethal Company.

So it would have the benefits of access to all games, with the plug and play nature of a console. At least that's why I'm excited to see if that rumor is true.
That's fair. I just don't see how Steam integration benefits MS.

Del_X

New console could be a 2025 release since they're teasing it early. I wonder if they had a $699 sku that was kinda sorta ready and they greenlit it recently. 15 month lead time from hardware finalization to getting that BoM actually made is typical. Could also just be fear of missing out on being able to play the "best" version of GTA close to launch.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind the Next box being built by NVIDIA, Intel and AMD with minimum specs required by MS. I am also hoping for ARM to gain momentum to run NATIVE ARM games (not talking about BS emulation), on handheld along with x86. OEM route is the way to go.

Making an Xbox like UI on PC is not hard, they just also need to make an official or 3rd party external Ultra Blu Ray Disk Drive so you can still play physical copies.

bender

What time is it?

As streamlined as Steam is, it's still far more cumbersome than a console experience, especially as you try to boot older games that didn't have controller support or aren't designed for controllers. You can work around all of that, but it isn't exactly plug and play at that point. A hybrid console/pc sounds more like the worst of both worlds rather than the best of both worlds. /$0.02

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As streamlined as Steam is, it's still far more cumbersome than a console experience, especially as you try to boot older games that didn't have controller support or aren't designed for controllers. You can work around all of that, but it isn't exactly plug and play at that point. A hybrid console/pc sounds more like the worst of both worlds rather than the best of both worlds. /$0.02
Yeah I don't know it will ever work and likely would fail but that makes it the most Xbox thing to try :)

That would be extremely stupid. We NEED Xbox for competition against Sony. We all know where arrogant Sony heads to
Xbox hadn't been credible competition for years.

We need Xbox to go away so some other company would replace them. You already GOT arrogant Sony. This is a current state of affairs and will not change for as long as Xbox refuse to leave.

Remember, if SEGA hardware never died, Xbox would not have been able to launch as they did. Xbox is now just protecting Sony from credible competition by hanging on.

POKEYCLYDE

Offering Steam easily would kill any incentive to use Microsoft's own store fronts which is the main reason you'd want to be a platform holder in the first place.
Think of it like Amazon. When you search for a product on Amazon, Amazon pushes their own products first. They are the top results. And people just go with that usually.

The attractiveness of a console that can play Sony first party games, PC exclusives and is a gamepass machine is hard to pass up. Even if Microsoft doesn't get that 30% cut as much when they have the Steam store as well, it might be worth it to sell X amount of more consoles than they are now.

If they sell 300% more consoles than they did this generation, and there's a 20% Gamepass Ultimate attach rate to the number of consoles sold... it may be worth foregoing that 30% of storefront cut on 50% of the games sold.

I could easily see a cost benefit analysis that makes a decision like having steam on their console worth it. Especially since it's something Sony would never want to do.

MMaRsu

Xbox hadn't been credible competition for years.

We need Xbox to go away so some other company would replace them. You already GOT arrogant Sony. This is a current state of affairs and will not change for as long as Xbox refuse to leave.

Remember, if SEGA hardware never died, Xbox would not have been able to launch as they did. Xbox is now just protecting Sony from credible competition by hanging on.
Another company to replace them 😂 nobody has any interest in that.

The only Xbox can come back is if they hit hard with a reasonable priced, high powered hardware, a year before PS6 hits. Same as they did with the 360 and PS3.

Xbox hasnt offered any competition in years, because their offerings have been extremely mediocre. Their console however isnt.

If Sony can keep up their first place, we will see even less innovation in the gaming space, in games especially. Their prices will rise even further, Arrogant Sony has zero shame.

Last edited:
Another company to replace them 😂 nobody has any interest in that.

The only Xbox can come back is if they hit hard with a reasonable priced, high powered hardware, a year before PS6 hits. Same as they did with the 360 and PS3.

Xbox hasnt offered any competition in years, because their offerings have been extremely mediocre. Their console however isnt.

If Sony can keep up their first place, we will see even less innovation in the gaming space, in games especially. Their prices will rise even further, Arrogant Sony has zero shame.
Xbox isn't making a comeback. Not when MS told them they had to make a profit at any cost. Xbox burned through the warchest and now there is no more way out.
Frankly if you want Xbox to stay forever, Sony would love it. Nothing like having your former competition creating a moat that stops anyone actually competent from challenging your business.

Top Bottom