• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Marketplace Updates | July and August 2011 | Summer of Arcade

OnPoint

f8ANT.png

Summer of Arcade 2011 lineup:
  • Bastion (July 20 – 1200 Microsoft Points)
  • From Dust (July 27 – 1200 Microsoft Points)
  • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (August 3 – 1200 Microsoft Points)
  • Fruit Ninja Kinect (August 10 – 800 Microsoft Points)
  • Toy Soldiers: Cold War (August 17 – 1200 Microsoft Points)
Buying all five Summer of Arcade titles will net you a free copy of Crimson Alliance (and its three characters) when it comes out on September 7​

AUGUST 17: New game(s)

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Marketplace link: US Marketplace link
Developer: Signal Studios
Publisher: Xbox LIVE Arcade (that's what the link says, anyway)
Price: 1200 Microsoft Points
Official GAF Topic: The closest we got
The Cold War is decided when ‘80s era action toys come alive and wage war! Toy Soldiers: Cold War blends intense first person combat with addictive action strategy, whether you’re scrapping solo or jumping into the fray with friends. Battle in campaign, competitive, co-op modes or fight for the highest score in mini-games!

AUGUST 10: New game(s)

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Fruit Ninja Kinect
Developer: Halfbrick
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Price: 800 Microsoft Points
Official GAF Topic: Slice those fruits!
YOU are the ninja! The worldwide gaming phenomenon Fruit Ninja has now arrived for Kinect! Your arms are now blades, and the epic battle against the world's most delicious produce is just beginning. Fruit Ninja Kinect is an amazing evolution of the slice-em-up genre created by Halfbrick, utlising next-gen power for the juiciest combat ever! With Classic, Zen and the frenetic Arcade Mode, Fruit Ninja Kinect includes all the action you know and love with precision control - along with special features exclusive to Kinect! With Party Mode, multiple players can turn a normal night into a fierce tournament - and the new Challenge system will reveal the true masters among your friends!

AUGUST 3: New game(s)

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Developer: FuelCell Games
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Official GAF Topic: created by yours truly
In this Insanely Twisted, 2-D action-adventure game, explore unique environments and battle bizarre creatures as you make your way toward the center of the mysterious Shadow Planet! Solve complex puzzles and upgrade your ship with alien technology as you fight to save your home world. Featuring both local and Xbox LIVE multiplayer game modes.

JULY 27: New game(s)
boxartlg.jpg

Game: From Dust
Developer: Ubisoft MONTPELLIER
Publisher: Ubisoft
Official GAF Topic: click to getcha feet wet
Discover a unique Modern God game where nature is the star: From Dust, the latest original concept by Eric Chahi, visionary creator of Another World. Behold the beauty of a primitive world pulsing with life and face the might of nature. Beware the danger of a world that is constantly changing under your command. Control the destiny of a tribe struggling to survive and help it recover its ancestors’ lost powers. Immerse yourself in a world as exotically beautiful as it is dangerous. A universe where Nature reclaims what is Hers; and you are your people’s only chance of survival.

JULY 20: New game(s)
vrag7b.jpg

Game: Bastion
Developer: Supergiant Games
Publisher: Warner Bros
Official GAF Topic: click here to read
Bastion is an action role-playing experience that redefines storytelling in games, with a reactive narrator who marks your every move. Explore more than 40 lush hand-painted environments as you discover the secrets of the Calamity, a surreal catastrophe that shattered the world to pieces. Wield a huge arsenal of upgradeable weapons and battle savage beasts adapted to their new habitat. Finish the main story to unlock New Game Plus mode and continue your journey!

JULY 13: New Game(s)
boxartlg.jpg

Game: Ms. Splosion Man
Developer: Twisted Pixel
Publisher: Twisted Pixel
Official topic: here it is ya landlubba
You got a problem? Yo, she’ll splode it. At the Big Science after-party celebrating the capture of Splosion Man, a spill of champagne shorts out the safety protocols on the splosionatrix and from it emerges Ms. Splosion Man. The latest creation from Twisted Pixel Games, the creators of Splosion Man, The Maw, and Comic Jumper, Ms. Splosion man comes packed with fifty levels of single player and a separate fifty level co-op multiplayer campaign. Included with the game are gamerpics, a premium theme, and some sweet avatar accessories! Expanded map features, tons of unlockables, ghost replays, and countless other improvements make this the definitive edition for any splosion connoisseur.

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Boulder Dash-XL
Developer: Catnip Games GmbH & Co.KG
Publisher: Kalypso Media GmbH
Price: 800 points
Official topic: well, sort of
Rockford™ and Crystal™, heroes of Boulder Dash®, one of the greatest classic video games, get their bits and bytes together to make their Next Gen-Debut. Back in the 80’s, when hairstyles were wild, music was electronic and video games were sold on Music Cassettes in Europe (yes, it’s really true!), Boulder Dash® won our hearts by storm. The creative and frantic gameplay mix required both our reflexes and brains to avoid murderous rock slides of Boulders and get our hands on those precious Diamonds in 20 fun-filled Caves infested by Fireflies, Butterflies and Amoebas. In 2011 our childhood heroes take it to the Caves again on Xbox 360 in Boulder Dash® – XL™! Leaving the essence of what we all love about Rockford’s classic quest for Diamonds intact, Boulder Dash® returns Next Gen-Style, with new, exciting Game Modes, Gameplay Elements, Monsters and more Diamonds to snatch than ever before!

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team
Developer: THQ Digital Studios, UK
Publisher: THQ Inc.
Official topic: Closest i could find
Jump into the rich world of Warhammer 40,000 in this fast paced 3rd person action shooter. As one of the Emperor’s Elite Space Marines you have been sent on a vital mission to assault a gigantic Ork Kroozer headed for an Imperial Forge World. Choose your Space Marine Chapter and weapons class and commence the purging of brutal Orks and vicious Tyranids on board. Team up to form a 2-man Kill Team in same screen co-op mode and benefit from multiple team pickups to help survive the onslaught. Reap the rewards on completing your missions by unlocking an exclusive Power Sword weapon to use in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine!

July 7: New Game(s)
boxartlg.jpg

Game: Deadliest Warrior: Legends
Developer: Pipeworks
Publisher: 345 Games / Spike Games
Official topic: there is none
Selected Best of E3 by XBLAfans.com Deadliest Warrior: Legends is the highly anticipated sequel to last summer’s top selling game. Take control of history’s greatest warriors and face the likes of Alexander the Great, Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Hannibal, Hernan Cortes, Shaka Zulu, Sun Tzu, Vlad the Impaler and William Wallace. With enhanced graphics and 9 arenas, new fighting options like grapples, pushes, ring outs, feints, projectile targeting, and new final strikes will expand your tactical options! Also included, a new strategy game called Generals! Players take control of the Battlefield Simulator from the TV show and play 1 of the 9 legendary warrior campaigns and unlock abilities that the actual warriors used to get an edge in battle. The game includes exclusive avatar costumes and helmets. Owners of the original game receive a bonus weapon for every character! New Zombie and Slice modes can be played independently or together, with a hidden character to battle against!

boxartlg.jpg

Game: MLB Bobblehead Pros
Developer: Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Official topic: kinda sorta?
Step into the batter’s box with MLB® Bobblehead Pros and swing for the fences! No longer do you have to show up on gameday to get your favorite player’s bobblehead doll. Now you can access all your favorite bobblehead dolls in one location! MLB® Bobblehead Pros is packed with all the teams, players, and fanfare of Major League Baseball ready for you and your friends with co-op mode and online battle mode. Now you can bob your head in the big leagues!

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Dead Block
Developer: Candygun Games UG
Publisher: NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.
Official topic: none
Are you clever enough to survive a Zombie Armageddon? Don’t panic! Use your brain first and, if necessary, your sledgehammer. In the ‘50s Rock’n’Roll music was spawned straight from hell and was so evil that it turned dead people into Zombies! Three survivors – Jack Foster, a construction worker, Foxy Jones, a traffic warden, and Mike Bacon, a perpetually hungry boy scout – have formed an unlikely alliance to protect themselves from the invading undead. Hiding in abandoned buildings, they build blockades, set traps and – as a last resort – use weapons to fight the Zombies. Outlive the Zombie invasion alone or fight with your friends in split-screen cooperative mode.

Z5Nfj.png

AUGUST 10: Demo(es)

Game: Driver: San Francisco
Marketplace link: [url="http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Driver-San-Francisco/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025553087e?cid=majornelson&partner=majornelson"]US Marketplace link​

Developer: Ubisoft Reflections
Publisher: Ubisoft
Price: Free
Official topic: Demo Impressions/url]

AUGUST 3: Demo(es)

Game: Rugby World Cup 2011
Marketplace link: [url="http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-Demo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802464f87f3?cid=majornelson"]US Marketplace link​

Developer: H.B. Studios Multimedia Limited
Publisher: 505 Games
Official topic: This one actually had an OT!
Play England Vs South Africa in this Demo version of Rugby World Cup 2011. In the Full Game, 20 nations will compete against each other, fighting every inch for the right to proudly lift the Webb Ellis trophy. Back your team and play your part in the biggest sporting event of 2011!

JULY 13: Demo(es)

boxartlg.jpg

Game: Catherine
Developer: Atlus
Publisher: Atlus
Official topic: This one actually had an OT!
Explore the pleasures and horrors of love and the choices we make for it in this action-adventure/puzzle game unlike any other. As Vincent, you have a hard choice to make: marry your longtime girlfriend Katherine or move on to the incredible blonde you just woke up next to–named Catherine! But beware! Make the wrong choice, and you could end up dead.

QurUI.png

AUGUST 10: Deal of the week
Rock Band 3 DLC
The official page
1. Metallica Pack 01
- costs 320 points, down from 440 points
2. Blink-182 Pack 02
- costs 320 points, down from 440 points
3. Lady Gaga Pack 01
- costs 400 points, down from 560 points
4. Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition
- costs 1200 points, down from 1600 points
5. Queen Pack 01
- costs 960 points, down from 1280 points​

Ended deals

AUGUST 3: Deal of the week

JULY 26: Deal of the Week
Member’s Choice Winner – Mass Effect 2 Add-ons
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker - 280 points, down from 560 points
Mass Effect 2: Arrival - 400 points, down from 800 points
Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory - - 280 points, down from 560 points​

JULY 26: Microsoft Games Studios content sale
Halo: Reach
• "Halo: Reach - Defiant Map Pack" - 400 MSP **
• "Halo: Reach - Noble Map Pack" - 400 MSP **

Halo 3
• "Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Halo 3 Mythic II Map Pack" - 400 MSP **

The "Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack" is currently not included in the sale.

Halo Wars
• "Halo Wars Strategic Options Add-on Pack" - 400 MSP **
• "Halo Wars Historical Battle Map Pack Add-on" - 400 MSP **

Gears of War 2
• "Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection" - 400 MSP **
• "Flashback Multiplayer Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Combustible Multiplayer Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Snowblind Multiplayer Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Dark Corners Multiplayer Map Pack" - 280 MSP **

Forza Motorsport 3
• "Community Choice Classics Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Autoweek Car Show Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Nurburgring GP Track Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Jalopnik Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "The Road & Track Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "The Summer Velocity Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "World Class Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "VIP Car Pack" - 400 MSP
• "Motorsport Legends Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Benchmark High Speed Ring" - 200 MSP
• "Sidewinder Proving Grounds" - 200 MSP
• "Hot Holidays Car Pack" - 200 MSP

"The Exotic Car Pack" is currently not included in the sale.

Fable III
• "Fable III Traitor's Keep Quest Pack" - 280 MSP ** (now at the correct price)
• "Fable III Understone Quest Pack " - 200 MSP

Kinect Sports
• "Kinect Sports Calorie Challenge Pack" - 160 MSP **

Alan Wake
• "Alan Wake: The Writer" - 280 MSP **
• "Alan Wake: The Signal" - 280 MSP **

Crackdown 2
• "Premium Toy Box Pack" - 280 MSP **
• "Premium Deluge Pack" - 280 MSP **​

JULY 20: Deal of the Week
Xbox Original
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 800 Microsoft points, down from 1200 points

DLC
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned - 400 Microsoft points, down from 800 points

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony - 800 Microsoft points, down from 1600 points

This OP is a work in progress and will be updated constantly. If anyone has suggestions for something they'd like to see added please leave it in a reply or PM me

A big thank you to Fernoca for helping with the images​

TheOddOne

As much as I am not down with the whole idea of montly/weekly threads its still a great way to showcase stuff.

So good job!

Yanksfan

From the Summer lineup, the only one I see as a must purchase is Bastion. From Dust and Insanely Twisted look interesting, but I will have to see what the vibe is after others have played it for a few days.

schick85

You should keep "new games" and "demos" separate 'cause I thought Catherine was coming out on Games on Demand for a moment there.

Cheers!

schick85 said:
You should keep "new games" and "demos" separate 'cause I thought Catherine was coming out on Games on Demand for a moment there.

Cheers!

Might also want to label if the demo is all regions or US only.

fernoca

Yeah. Nice thread, great work.

Agree that demos should be separate.

Also, if possible the thread could link to the online Xbox Marketplace. Individually linking to each region download could be a pain, so at least having the link in the main post so that people are reminded that they can add the downloads/queue from their PCs; in case they're in a rush or at work.

OnPoint

fernoca said:
Yeah. Nice thread, great work.

Agree that demos should be separate.

Also, if possible the thread could link to the online Xbox Marketplace. Individually linking to each region download could be a pain, so at least having the link in the main post so that people are reminded that they can add the downloads/queue from their PCs; in case they're in a rush or at work.

I've moved the Catherine demo under its own header that says "Demo(es)" but I guess I could pull it out further. I wanted to keep it in the same date as the other releases, but it could be in a quarantined demo section as well. I'll think about it some

Also, I'll edit in the marketplace links soon as well

fernoca

OnPoint said:
I've moved the Catherine demo under its own header that says "Demo(es)" but I guess I could pull it out further. I wanted to keep it in the same date as the other releases, but it could be in a quarantined demo section as well. I'll think about it some

Also, I'll edit in the marketplace links soon as well
Nice.
Another way, to possible avoid cluttler could be for example making it like:

Deals of the Week
July 27
XXX​

July 20
XXX​

Arcade Games
July 27
XXX​

July 20
XXX​

Game Demos
July 27
XXX​

July 20
XXX​

From recent to older, in separate categories and the dates been inside each category; so that all arcade games are together, by date, all the deals together; etc.

But just saying ,the current thread looks fine; so as long as you find a way that it's easier to you and fun (so you don't get bored just updating it :p) it'll be fine. ;)

xbhaskarx

Nice job on this thread. Maybe you should add the (US) Marketplace link for each of the released XBLA games?

Attention everyone: go buy Bastion!!

If you're going to include demos at all, I'd recommend renaming the thread something other than XBLA. Some kind of generic "Xbox LIVE Marketplace Updates" title would fit better.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SO, does anyone have any idea what the Summer of Arcade deal means, when it list that you get "Crimson Alliance and all 3 characters FREE!" for buying all SoA games? Is CA going to be a free-to-play game, and each of the 3 characters cost 400 points to unlock? Is it trying to say we'll get 3 avatar outfits free? Are there 3 additional playable characters? Does the game come with NO playable characters (LoL)?

It's some VERY odd wording, that really makes no sense so far...

OnPoint

fernoca said:
Nice.
Another way, to possible avoid cluttler could be for example making it like:

From recent to older, in separate categories and the dates been inside each category; so that all arcade games are together, by date, all the deals together; etc.

But just saying ,the current thread looks fine; so as long as you find a way that it's easier to you and fun (so you don't get bored just updating it :p) it'll be fine. ;)

Great ideas. I took it one step further and added images haha Now i just need someone with image editing skills to make the header image for each section transparent where all that white space is, and I'll be good to go.

toythatkills said:
If you're going to include demos at all, I'd recommend renaming the thread something other than XBLA. Some kind of generic "Xbox LIVE Marketplace Updates" title would fit better.

Good point. I requested a change, but if not then I'll change it up in September

KAOS

I will check out the Summer of Arcade releases but I'm really waiting for Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes.

KAOS said:
I will check out the Summer of Arcade releases but I'm really waiting for Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes.
Another thing for the OP: A list of XBLA titles that have been announced and whether or not they have a release date tied down yet.

fernoca

OnPoint said:
Great ideas. I took it one step further and added images haha Now i just need someone with image editing skills to make the header image for each section transparent where all that white space is, and I'll be good to go.

Nice update. ;)
And...This?
*Images used by OP*
Let me know if that's what you meant. :p

TheOddOne

SAB CA said:
SO, does anyone have any idea what the Summer of Arcade deal means, when it list that you get "Crimson Alliance and all 3 characters FREE!" for buying all SoA games? Is CA going to be a free-to-play game, and each of the 3 characters cost 400 points to unlock? Is it trying to say we'll get 3 avatar outfits free? Are there 3 additional playable characters? Does the game come with NO playable characters (LoL)?

It's some VERY odd wording, that really makes no sense so far...
I was gonna ask the same thing, bizar wording indeed.

TheOddOne

The lack of co-op games in Summer of Arcade really bums me out, but at the same time I see quality single player affairs.

OnPoint

fernoca said:
Nice update. ;)
And...This?

http://i.imgur.com/f8ANT.png/img]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z5Nfj.png/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QurUI.png/IMG]

Let me know if that's what you meant. :p[/QUOTE]

Awesome work. Thank you good sir

AEREC

I remember casting a vote for what would be deal of the week at the beggining of July and Mass Effect 2 DLC was winnign by a fair margin...did the DLC ever go on sale or have they said anything?

AEREC said:
I remember casting a vote for what would be deal of the week at the beggining of July and Mass Effect 2 DLC was winnign by a fair margin...did the DLC ever go on sale or have they said anything?

It definitely hasn't gone on sale recently and I haven't heard anything about the results from that poll, sorry.

Sagitario

Bastion, From Dust and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.... mmm... will wait for them to be on sales, I have a big backlog anyway [and not enough points :p]

Gaspode_T

Darn, I don't have The Maw either and I heard it's a great one...

I really doubt the Summer of Arcade games will go onsale until the end of the year, if it's anything like Lara Croft they will go on sale a lot the *following* year (which seemed to help that particular game get lots of sales over time). I don't think I would be able to wait that long for most of them.

For sales it almost seems like they have a pattern, like Week 1-> MGS stuff, Week 2->Insert bunch of 2K/EA/UbiSoft games DLC, Week 3->Bunch of XBLA games, Week 4->Xbox Classics Game on Demand on sale (LOL), repeat.

Gaspode_T

It's a big giant banner as the #1 thing people see when they log in to Xbox Live, that features a different highly hyped XBLA game per week (and usually some of the best of the best of what's coming in the entire year), this year if you buy all of them you get a free game. The past years have resulted in some of the most highly regarded games like Limbo and Trials HD.

Rlan

BigJiantRobut said:
So what is the Summer of Arcade, exactly? Is there a sale? Is there an event?

An promotional event pushing great games on the platform, to get more people to notice in general. There is an additional promotion with it -- get all 5 games and you get another game, Crimson Alliance, for free.

Rlan said:
An promotional event pushing great games on the platform, to get more people to notice in general. There is an additional promotion with it -- get all 5 games and you get another game, Crimson Alliance, for free.

Oh.

Well... I'll be buying Bastion!

acm2000

BigJiantRobut said:
Oh.

Well... I'll be buying Bastion!

the correct answer was "well... i just got ms splosion man, i will be buying bastion and from dust the second they exist on the server"

H3xum

SoA or not, everyone should give Bastion a shot

It's something fresh, which is sadly few and far between these days

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Downloaded the GTA deal of the week content. Don't remember this game being so ugly..

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyone know what the dotw is this week?
Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Next week is where it's at, though.

Change your Gamertag – at a discount

I'm never going to complain about a shit DotW again. No deal at all would be better than that crap.

Gaspode_T

Hmmmm, actually it seems to be listed in a different place than DOTW but there's a pretty huge Microsoft Games Studios sale...almost everything is up there, Halo, Forza 3, Crackdown, Fable 3, Alan Wake

I am playing through Fable 3 right now so I picked up those two DLCs - there seems to be a mistake on one of them because the graphic says 280 but it rang up at 200 pts (Traitor's Keep).

Do I remember correctly that the DLC for Forza 3 will port over to Forza 4? Some of them look pretty cool, almost cool enough for me to get back into that over other games...but there are so many of them I really don't even know what is appropriate for my playing level (casual).

OnPoint

The MGS sale for this week includes the following content, according to this site

Halo: Reach
• "Halo: Reach - Defiant Map Pack" - 400 MSP **
• "Halo: Reach - Noble Map Pack" - 400 MSP **

Halo 3
• "Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Halo 3 Mythic II Map Pack" - 400 MSP **

The "Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack" is currently not included in the sale.

Halo Wars
• "Halo Wars Strategic Options Add-on Pack" - 400 MSP **
• "Halo Wars Historical Battle Map Pack Add-on" - 400 MSP **

Gears of War 2
• "Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection" - 400 MSP **
• "Flashback Multiplayer Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Combustible Multiplayer Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Snowblind Multiplayer Map Pack" - 200 MSP **
• "Dark Corners Multiplayer Map Pack" - 280 MSP **

Forza Motorsport 3
• "Community Choice Classics Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Autoweek Car Show Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Nurburgring GP Track Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Jalopnik Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "The Road & Track Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "The Summer Velocity Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "World Class Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "VIP Car Pack" - 400 MSP
• "Motorsport Legends Car Pack" - 200 MSP
• "Benchmark High Speed Ring" - 200 MSP
• "Sidewinder Proving Grounds" - 200 MSP
• "Hot Holidays Car Pack" - 200 MSP

"The Exotic Car Pack" is currently not included in the sale.

Fable III
• "Fable III Traitor's Keep Quest Pack" - 280 MSP ** (now at the correct price)
• "Fable III Understone Quest Pack " - 200 MSP

Kinect Sports
• "Kinect Sports Calorie Challenge Pack" - 160 MSP **

Alan Wake
• "Alan Wake: The Writer" - 280 MSP **
• "Alan Wake: The Signal" - 280 MSP **

Crackdown 2
• "Premium Toy Box Pack" - 280 MSP **
• "Premium Deluge Pack" - 280 MSP **

Top Bottom