• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Vert boil

Released today,

Grand Prix Rock 'N Racing - 8$ (6.39$ with gold), 533MB.

GunWorld 2 - 8$, 156MB.

New Pre-order,

Super Night Riders - 10$
Site - Trailer

-----
Smite is available to all silver members and all of the gods are unlocked until the end of the weekend. There's also double XP, Worshipers, Favor & Fantasy Points.
http://www.smitegame.com/double-everything-weekend-may-13th-15th/

GunWorld 2 has launched today. So far every review has been positive (and I was specifically sending review copies out to people that hated the first game).

I'd be happy to answer any questions anybody posts here, since no one will likely make an OT for the game lol.

speedomodel

GunWorld 2 has launched today. So far every review has been positive (and I was specifically sending review copies out to people that hated the first game).

I'd be happy to answer any questions anybody posts here, since no one will likely make an OT for the game lol.

Are there odd pointed achivements? ;)

Will most likely grab this over the weekend, was always interested in the first but just never got to it. Congrats on another game! Hope you're seeing some worth-while engagement on Xbox.

Are there odd pointed achivements? ;)

Will most likely grab this over the weekend, was always interested in the first but just never got to it. Congrats on another game! Hope you're seeing some worth-while engagement on Xbox.

There are two odd point achievements. The first is given to you as soon as the game begins, and it specifically reads "Uh oh, one gamerscore? This is going to upset some people". The next is a 4gs achievement that you get literally seconds after that, that says "just kidding, I told you I wasn't going to do that again".

Also yes, the first game saw solid engagement on Xbox One, which is what led to the decision of GunWorld 2 being a (for the moment) exclusive.

danowat

Banned
There are two odd point achievements. The first is given to you as soon as the game begins, and it specifically reads "Uh oh, one gamerscore? This is going to upset some people". The next is a 4gs achievement that you get literally seconds after that, that says "just kidding, I told you I wasn't going to do that again".

Heh, nice ;)

speedomodel

Also yes, the first game saw solid engagement on Xbox One, which is what led to the decision of GunWorld 2 being a (for the moment) exclusive.

I literally might buy it just for the two achievements. That's awesome! haha

Glad to hear!

Montresor

I just started Qube Director's Cut (first person puzzle game).

This game looks astonishingly good. The art style and graphics are pretty simple (a lot of white tiles everywhere) but the visuals are so clean and crisp. I don't know exactly how else to describe why, but despite the game's simplicity the game is beautiful to look at.

The game play is fun so far - I did not expect it to have such polished visuals/controls. This feels like a small puzzle get made a veteran dev.

Might I ask why you're on the fence, and make myself available to persuade you? After all, my family needs to eat =P.

I completed the first one but it took me an extortionate amount of hours because it was rather overly punishing. There was a strange relationship between "holy shit I finally beat this level!" and "Ive spent a long time doing that"!

Is the game easier? With better checkpoints? Im playing a few things atm but if its less grueling than its predecessor I could be tempted. Im not looking for something overly easy fwiw, just not something I felt was so frustratingly punishing :p

There was actually some decent level design and puzzley bits in the original one, there was one particular bit in the last level near the beginning where you had to jump between stuff going up and down but with a turret at the top or something I enjoyed mastering

I completed the first one but it took me an extortionate amount of hours because it was rather overly punishing. There was a strange relationship between "holy shit I finally beat this level!" and "Ive spent a long time doing that"!

Is the game easier? With better checkpoints? Im playing a few things atm but if its less grueling than its predecessor I could be tempted. Im not looking for something overly easy fwiw, just not something I felt was so frustratingly punishing :p

There was actually some decent level design and puzzley bits in the original one, there was one particular bit in the last level near the beginning where you had to jump between stuff going up and down but with a turret at the top or something I enjoyed mastering

I can answer a couple of these questions, but because I'm the developer and I don't want you to feel misled, I encourage you to read one of the 6 currently published reviews. Metacritic only has one of them posted, so I've assembled the rest in a list on my website.

The game is much easier, at least I feel so. Most people that have finished the first game agree. Reviews still point out the high difficulty (because it is still challenging), but I'd rank it as a little above Shovel Knight in difficulty. Some people think Shovel Knight is absurdly difficult, so obviously millage may vary on those opinions.

Checkpoints are a little more frequent, however to retain challenge I still made them sparse. The game is designed to be challenging as a base, but offer alternatives and options for less skilled players to get through. There is a consumable item in the game that allows you to respawn with full health right where you died, wherever on the screen you want. It's up to the player if they want to make the game easier by buying them.

The levels are a lot more dense. There are more hidden secrets, and each new level introduces a brand new enemy type and gameplay mechanic. Every one is a little different. The guns you get through the game are all used for puzzle solving/navigation much more frequently, and there's an RPG/gear system where you can get armor and upgrades that give you perks (like reduced knockback or extra damage).

Check the reviews out to learn more, but since there isn't an OT for the game I figured this was an ok place to answer questions about it.

I can answer a couple of these questions, but because I'm the developer and I don't want you to feel misled, I encourage you to read one of the 6 currently published reviews. Metacritic only has one of them posted, so I've assembled the rest in a list on my website.

The game is much easier, at least I feel so. Most people that have finished the first game agree. Reviews still point out the high difficulty (because it is still challenging), but I'd rank it as a little above Shovel Knight in difficulty. Some people think Shovel Knight is absurdly difficult, so obviously millage may vary on those opinions.

Checkpoints are a little more frequent, however to retain challenge I still made them sparse. The game is designed to be challenging as a base, but offer alternatives and options for less skilled players to get through. There is a consumable item in the game that allows you to respawn with full health right where you died, wherever on the screen you want. It's up to the player if they want to make the game easier by buying them.

The levels are a lot more dense. There are more hidden secrets, and each new level introduces a brand new enemy type and gameplay mechanic. Every one is a little different. The guns you get through the game are all used for puzzle solving/navigation much more frequently, and there's an RPG/gear system where you can get armor and upgrades that give you perks (like reduced knockback or extra damage).

Check the reviews out to learn more, but since there isn't an OT for the game I figured this was an ok place to answer questions about it.

Hmm, that all sounds... pretty good. I get the challenge thing so im not against that, I think I will get it if I can finish my backlog which has been hampering me for a while now to get the final few games done.

Do you have any plans to release the game in the UK/EU? It wasnt on the store for UK but if necessary i'll just load up with some $ and get it on the US store. I feel like ive started a franchise so I should continue going...!

Hmm, that all sounds... pretty good. I get the challenge thing so im not against that, I think I will get it if I can finish my backlog which has been hampering me for a while now to get the final few games done.

Do you have any plans to release the game in the UK/EU? It wasnt on the store for UK but if necessary i'll just load up with some $ and get it on the US store. I feel like ive started a franchise so I should continue going...!

I really want to release in the UK/EU, but PEGI ratings are absurdly expensive. Like..I can't talk numbers specifically, but I could get the game ported over to PS4 for potentially cheaper than it would cost me to get a PEGI rating. I've been encouraging UK/EU gamers who are disappointed with infrequent indie releases to contact PEGI and let them know. Because honestly, the game has to do really well for me to even be able to justify it.

I also hope nobody feels like discussing the game in this thread is inappropriate. The last thing I want is people to think I'm shilling the game. When big/medium outlets don't want to cover your game, my only options are to talk with every single person I can one-on-one to alleviate concerns or questions. If there were an OT I'd keep it confined to there.

I really want to release in the UK/EU, but PEGI ratings are absurdly expensive. Like..I can't talk numbers specifically, but I could get the game ported over to PS4 for potentially cheaper than it would cost me to get a PEGI rating. I've been encouraging UK/EU gamers who are disappointed with infrequent indie releases to contact PEGI and let them know. Because honestly, the game has to do really well for me to even be able to justify it.

I also hope nobody feels like discussing the game in this thread is inappropriate. The last thing I want is people to think I'm shilling the game. When big/medium outlets don't want to cover your game, my only options are to talk with every single person I can one-on-one to alleviate concerns or questions. If there were an OT I'd keep it confined to there.

I think its fine, I made the thread for interaction, perfectly fine you're in here to talk to people :)

The PEGI price seems crazy and that you can get it on PS4 for cheaper. Would you pack the first one in as well?

Pretty sure you can talk about it...Jamie has for his ID@Xbox game (ID@Xbox Twitter even promoted it): http://www.gamedevblog.com/2014/07/making-a-shoestring-budget-game-for-the-xbox-one.html

I don't think it's a secret that PEGI and USK are beyond expensive (with Australia and New Zealand being even worse)

breezer79

Unfortunately the game isn't available on the xbox store here (Belgium).
Is it normal ?

EDIT : oh I have seen the previous answer.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuckin Moss... €50 for .digital-only Raiden V ! Might as well import the physical sku now, especially since it got the English dub with a free patch

jogu

Question about xbox gold. I just bought xbox one, installed it, and used the 14 days trial gold. Do i get sunset overdrive if i buy the real gold? I know i cant get it with trial gold. I read somewhere that buying gold now doesnt allow me to download games and i couldnt find any place where i could cancel the trial 14 days.

Vert boil

Question about xbox gold. I just bought xbox one, installed it, and used the 14 days trial gold. Do i get sunset overdrive if i buy the real gold? I know i cant get it with trial gold.

Yep, if you buy a 1/3/12 month gold sub you'll be able to grab Sunset Overdrive. You'll have access to it as long as you have an active gold sub. If it lapses you'll regain access to GwG titles when you get another sub.

Today is the last day Sunset Overdrive is available so you'll have to be quick.

Montresor

I finished QUBE Director's Cut over the weekend. That is one excellent puzzle game.

+ Crisp, clean graphics
+ The visuals and art style are simplistic but beautiful. In the beginning of the game the environments are white and pristine, but later the geometry becomes more chaotic (due to the story, which is a nice touch).
+ The puzzles are satisfying and varied. Each new sector has a new puzzle-solving gimmick/method, but those build upon each other, which I found quite nice.
+ The story / voice acting was great. I won't say much more other than there are two different characters that speak with you through radio throughout the entire game. They talk to you once every two or three puzzles. It was always a treat to hear radio static/crackling after solving a puzzle and then hearing one of those two characters have another monologue.

I give it a 4/5 - definitely a big recommendation to anyone that likes puzzle games. Just a heads up - it is a first-person puzzle game, in case you're not into the genre. Fingers crossed you enjoy this one...

lifelower

I've discussed with a JP indie dev about rating costs. He's making a game for multiplatforms and waiting for MS&Sony to support IARC. XB1/PS4 ver of his game is on hold until it.
IARC gives you ratings for free and covers almost all regions... sounds wonderful. Definitely a big help for indies.

I've discussed with a JP indie dev about rating costs. He's making a game for multiplatforms and waiting for MS&Sony to support IARC. XB1/PS4 ver of his game is on hold until it.
IARC gives you ratings for free and covers almost all regions... sounds wonderful. Definitely a big help for indies.

That would be so nice. I want the game out in every region. I was hoping to cover the rating expenses from sales, but my launch sales are so weak that I don't know if it'd be worth it. That kills me because I know there are people outside of US/Canada that want it.

Montresor

Started Albedo and I'm quite disappointed. When the game first came out I saw the trailer and I was really intrigued by the game's scifi/alien premise.

The game itself has a very clunky UI/controls and extremely grating voice acting. It is difficult to perform mundane tasks like picking up items... And the main char spits out phrases/suggestions in rapid fire fashion, sometimes with no pause between the suggestions even if they're unrelated. And the voice acting sounds like it was recorded with a phone app... at the start I thought someone far away from my main character was talking TO the main character when it was really the main character talking.

I'm pretty bummed. I bought this on sale but even at $7.50 this is looking like a waste. I just finished QUBE, a vastly superior FPS puzzle game, so to go from that to Albedo, a pretty mediocre FPS puzzle game, is a bummer.

Tntnico

Subnautica is a great surprise ! I bought it after the 1hour trial ended :)

Talking early access survival games on Xbox One, is Ark any better since launch ? I'm waiting for performance update on this one.

danowat

Banned
Subnautica is a great surprise ! I bought it after the 1hour trial ended :)

Talking early access survival games on Xbox One, is Ark any better since launch ? I'm waiting for performance update on this one.

It's not bad, but I am just not creative enough for this type of game I think, I just end up wondering (swimming) around aimlessly not knowing what to do next.

Vert boil

Hard Reset Redux will be coming out June 3rd, 20$.

Site - Trailer

-----
Cinder is the free character in Killer Instinct this week.

-----
In Between will be coming out June 8th.

Site - Trailer

-----
Prison Architect will be leaving the Game Preview program June 28th, it'll stay at 30$.

People that buy/bought the Game Preview version will receive the All Day and a Night dlc for free (will cost 10$).

-----
Soul Axiom will be coming out June 8th, 20$.

Site - Trailer

-----
The Elite Dangerous expansion/season pass Horizons will be coming out June 3rd, 30$.
They'll also be a bundle including the base game for 60$.

Planetary Landings and The Engineers will be available when it launches.

Montresor

I'm here to say I'm so glad that it seems the "Challenges" nonsense seems to have died off this gen for Xbox One.

Challenges were time-limited zero-gamerscore achievements. They provided no discernible advantage that justified the achievements being time-limited. I can't remember the last game that I played that had them. I don't see any recent indie games using them. And even Microsoft's recent big releases aren't buying into challenges: Halo 5, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, and Quantum Break did not have any challenges, which I'm thankful for.

Ah... just as I type this all out, I remember that Unravel had a challenge for completing the trial before the release date (which I think you need EA Access to do). I'll be glad if Microsoft completely abolishes them, and I'll continue to be pleased that almost none of the games I play these days have any challenges.

I'm here to say I'm so glad that it seems the "Challenges" nonsense seems to have died off this gen for Xbox One.

Challenges were time-limited zero-gamerscore achievements. They provided no discernible advantage that justified the achievements being time-limited. I can't remember the last game that I played that had them. I don't see any recent indie games using them. And even Microsoft's recent big releases aren't buying into challenges: Halo 5, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, and Quantum Break did not have any challenges, which I'm thankful for.

Ah... just as I type this all out, I remember that Unravel had a challenge for completing the trial before the release date (which I think you need EA Access to do). I'll be glad if Microsoft completely abolishes them, and I'll continue to be pleased that almost none of the games I play these days have any challenges.

I avoided them myself for GunWorld and GunWorld 2. As a developer I couldn't think of a fun or practical reason for them, and as a player myself I find them annoying.

Montresor

So I've played a ton of puzzle and adventure games on XB1 and I've really enjoyed my time with the system as a result. I used to love this genre on 360 but there has been so much more content for me to enjoy thanks to indies! One thing that hurts is because I'm on XB1 instead of PS4, I'm missing out on two excellent, potentially near perfect 5/5 games: The Witness and The Talos Principle... I really hope those make it over some day.

I've posted a list like this below in the past, but here are all the puzzle/adventure games I've played again, with ratings, including some of the newer games that I've played recently.

Not included in the below list are these games in my backlog, which I have yet to play: Broken Sword 5, Teslagrad, Oxenfree, King's Quest, Book of Unwritten Tales 2, The Park and (I'm not sure if this last one qualifies) Gemini Heroes Reborn.

Excellent, near perfect puzzle/adventure games, rated 5/5:

So Many Me
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Unravel
White Night
Limbo
The Walking Dead Season 1
The Wolf Among Us
Life Is Strange
Thomas Was Alone
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

The next tier of excellent puzzle/adventure games, rated 4.5/5:

A Boy and His Blob
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
The Bridge
Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut
Gone Home: Console Edition
The Walking Dead Season 2

Great puzzle/adventure games, rated 4/5:

Flockers
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Kalimba
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Lifeless Planet
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna)
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
Pneuma: Breath of Life
Unmechanical: Extended Edition
The Fall
Beyond Eyes
Stick it to the Man
Cubot - The Complexity of Simplicity
The Swapper
6180 The Moon
The Walking Dead: Michonne

3.5/5:

Back to the Future: The Game - 30th Anniversary Edition
Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series
Submerged
Tales from the Borderlands

3/5:

Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series
Contrast

2.5/5

Murdered: Soul Suspect
Blues & Bullets

2/5:

Whispering Willows
Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition

1/5:

NERO
Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space

Vert boil

Released today,

Not a Hero: Super Snazzy Edition - 13$ (10.39$ with gold), 773MB.

OlliOlli2: XL Edition - 15$ (12$ with gold), 675MB.

New Bundles,

#IDARB: Tightwad Edition - 12.75$

Kinect Bundle: Beats & Squids - 11$

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty - Deluxe Edition - 10.50$

The BunnyLord Pro Hater Pack - 17.84$
(Not a Hero: Super Snazzy Edition and OlliOlli2: XL Edition)

DLC,

Pinabll FX 2
--Marvel Pinball Season 1 Bundle - 23$
--Marvel Pinball Season 2 Bundle - 22$
--Originals Season 1 Bundle - 16$
--Originals Season 2 Bundle - 15$

----------
Among the Sleep will be coming out June 3rd.

Site - Trailer

-----
Pacman 256 will be coming out June 21st.

Site - Trailer

-----
10 Second Ninja X will be coming out July 19th.

Site - Trailer

Top Bottom