• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Vert boil

Released today,

Color Symphony 2 - 10$, 241MB.

Fenix Furia - 15$ (12$ with gold), 305MB.

HeartZ: Co-Hope Puzzles - 10$ (8$ with gold), 805MB.

In Between - 12$, 940MB.

Neon Chrome - 15$ (13,50$ with gold), 366MB.
(Trial available. No time limit, unsure if you could eventually unlock achievements as it doesn't track progress.)

Soul Axiom - 20$, 5.42GB.

New DLC,

Minecraft: Story Mode
--Episode 6 - 5$

Montresor

That's a rave review for In Between. Anyone picked it up?

I went ahead and bought both In Between and Fragments Of Him. I'll probably have full thoughts at the end of this weekend or next week.

That review of In Between switched something on in my brain haha. It's like "Montresor, you have to get this game asap".

zorbsie

Ah that sounds like a shame. I looked through your tag and saw you played Submerged. I kinda liked Submerged but in some instances its frame rate did give me a headache too.

Submerged had that effect too, but not as bad as Solus for me. Probably because the point of view. Being 3rd person made Submerged frame rate more bearable.

Really want to check out Neon Chrome.

zorbsie

Neon Chrome is fantastic. Really enjoying it. Exactly what I wanted from it. Top down twin stick shooter rougelike. My only real complaint is that there is no brightness options. It's really dark on my plasma and I'm not going to fiddle with my TV settings for one game. :) Shame I'm the only one on my friends list playing it. Going to try out the coop during E3 when friends come over.

Montresor

Alright this weekend will be busy gaming for me!

I'm (hopefully) going to play through and beat these four games:

Broken Sword 5 (and older purchase from my backlog)
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
Fragments of Him
In Between

In Between is unreasonably good. I am only 10 minutes into the game and I am shocked, SHOCKED at the quality of the presentation, art style, story, music, and game play.

What the hell is this game??? How did it fly under everyone's radar?

I wonder if we will see more high reviews for this game (like icxm's 10/10).

Vert boil

Released today,

Dovetail Games Euro Fishing - 18.50$, 3.98GB.

Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride - 10$, 1.55GB.
(Trial available. No time limit, unlocks achievements.)

New DLC,

Goat Simulator
--GoatZ - 5$
--MMO Simulator - 5$

New Pre-order,

Kung-Fu for Kinect - 20$ (18$ with gold)

-----
The Escapist received a title update that added the London Tower level.

-----
The Monkey King Saga (currently a china only F2P game) achievements have been translated to english. Hopefully shouldn't be too long before it's available.

Professional Farmer 2017 $ 39.99 was also released today.

I will check if I can install Monkey King Saga in my US Xbox and report back.

Edited: yeah, Monkey King Saga works on my US Xbox, everything in English. The achievement list shows the same I already owned on my Chinese Xbox, however my progress in the game was wiped.

Really late to the party I know but Rocket League is a lot of fun lol, first time playing it ever, might pick it up for real next time it's in a sale!

I just saw on the game menu there is a physical release of it coming out in a few weeks! I love having physical discs for my collection so I might just pick that one up instead! Woo, good timing for me for once! :D

Having said that, it really feels like a good game to always have on your console ready to play at any moment without having to get up and change discs haha. :p Hmmmmmm.

Really fun game though, now I know what all the hype was about.

U2NUMB

I just saw on the game menu there is a physical release of it coming out in a few weeks! I love having physical discs for my collection so I might just pick that one up instead! Woo, good timing for me for once! :D

Having said that, it really feels like a good game to always have on your console ready to play at any moment without having to get up and change discs haha. :p Hmmmmmm.

Really fun game though, now I know what all the hype was about.

Do you have best buy gamers club unlocked by chance? 20% off the physical version right away.

Montresor

I played a bit more of In Between last night. It is an extraordinary game. I can easily see this as being this gen's Braid or Fez for me - my favourite XB1 puzzle game of the entire gen.

Positives:

*Wonderful art style and presentation. The way the game transports you from one set of puzzles to another is fantastic. Whenever you're not in a puzzle, you walk from left to right to advance the story and your character + environment transforms as you do so. An example: maybe your character is a small child at school, but you walk right and the environment changes to some dreary factory and your character is taller, older, shaved, and wearing completely different clothes. It's very neat.

*Intriguing and potentially heart-breaking story (as far as I can tell - I'm still early but I'm sure the ending of the game will make me sad). The main character is diagnosed with cancer - as you travel from puzzle to puzzle he narrates about different parts of his life: he talks about his past (childhood, girlfriends, graduation, etc...) and about how his cancer affects him currently.

*The dev has very cleverly transformed and leveraged story events/concepts into puzzle mechanics. I.E. early on there is a story section about the narrator being afraid of the dark as a little boy. Then you encounter a heartfelt sequence where mom reassures him that "If you face the dark, it will be afraid of you" or something similar. So in that story sequence, you start to face the dark directly and fight it off successfully. Then boom, you're now in the next world of puzzles, and darkness is a puzzle mechanic (and you need to face the dark, just like when you were a child, to fight it off and proceed through each puzzle).

*Incredible music that fits the mood in each puzzle room, and more importantly also fits in very well with the game's bittersweet themes

*The pause menu is refreshingly unique. The pause menu is snappy, responsive, and has modern gaming amenities (level select, the ability to see which levels you have beaten, and not 100% sure but I believe it also shows you which levels you've found collectible in). That should be expected, but what really seems ingenious is the pause menu is designed like an arcade box/unit. When you pause, you see an arcade box's television monitor. And from there you can hit Left on the control stick to control a young, child version of the narrator, completely separate from the main campaign's story, puzzles, etc... When you control the young, child version of the narrator, he's in his bedroom, decked out with all the awesome things you'd expect a 10-year-old to have in his room: television, video games, toys, etc... The good old days, before he got cancer. ='(

*The world structure is creative too. The developers have structured each world of puzzles to mimic the five stages of grief/death, with respect to the narrator's cancer diagnosis. The first world is the Tutorial. Second world is Denial. Third world is Anger. I feel like whenever I get to Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance, I'm going to be shattered emotionally. =(

*Game play: In Between nails puzzle game play. It's a mix between platforming / puzzle game play with refreshing controls. The game only uses the left stick and right stick. The left stick moves the character, and the right stick changes your footing (or gravity). So push Up on the right stick so that gravity is flipped vertically. Use left or right on the right stick to flip gravity horizontally. And so on. You traverse by using a combination of conventional movement (left stick), and swinging/changing/flipping gravity (right stick).

Negatives:

*The only negative I can think of is that the first 1 second of game play has a terrible animation - the main character is in a wheelchair and it looks terrible when he turns left-to-right or right-to-left. I've let the developer know lol, but I've emphasized strongly with the dev that I pretty much love everything else about the game.

I hope gentlymad's next game is just as good. The only other two times I've been so unexpectedly impressed with an indie game that I've messaged a dev are: 1) Pneuma Breath Of Life, and those guys are coming with another XB1 game soon called Turing Test, and 2) QUBE Director's Cut, and those guys are coming out with QUBE 2 on XB1 soon as well.

Tawpgun

Any must have games on the Xbone for under 15 dollars? I got that 10 dollars from the fallout mistake and looking to get something.

Flux

Any must have games on the Xbone for under 15 dollars? I got that 10 dollars from the fallout mistake and looking to get something.

What kind of game are you looking for? I can try to help if you have a genre in mind.

Otherwise you can always use it towards staples like Rocket League or Minecraft (added bonus of good local split-screen for both)

Tawpgun

What kind of game are you looking for? I can try to help if you have a genre in mind.

Otherwise you can always use it towards staples like Rocket League or Minecraft (added bonus of good local split-screen for both)
Pass on minecraft, have rocket league. Was thinking about getting ori, or is there good stuff coming soon?

Flux

Pass on minecraft, have rocket league. Was thinking about getting ori, or is there good stuff coming soon?

Ori Definitive edition is great, can't go wrong there.
I think the only thing I had on my radar is Mighty Number 9, otherwise its a typical summer/E3 drought for games in general. Cuphead is also a good choice on the horizon if you don't mind waiting.

For unexpected treats that I've really enjoyed: Cobalt, Kaiju Panic, Quest of Dungeons, Kalimba (RIP PressPlay, so freaking good), Spectra. YMMV with all of them. Kalimba is the best of that lot.

E3 will probably reveal Inside, Below, Cuphead, Ashen etc news/dates. Otherwise, of recent stuff In Between seems pretty tasty, and Neon Flux has a demo and is kinda cool.

I'm looking at Tron Run/r. Any impressions on it? I'm thinking of getting it now that it's on super sale.

I like it. I wish I hadn't paid $30 for the Deluxe edition, but $10 for the whole thing seems pretty good to me.

I haven't gotten very good at it because of real life and other games, but it has a lot more going on than most runners I've played, and it's a blast when you get in the zone.

Funny thing is that it's become my 4-year-old niece's go-to game over Lego Marvel and Movie, and she's actually getting pretty good at it.

zorbsie

I like it. I wish I hadn't paid $30 for the Deluxe edition, but $10 for the whole thing seems pretty good to me.

I haven't gotten very good at it because of real life and other games, but it has a lot more going on than most runners I've played, and it's a blast when you get in the zone.

Funny thing is that it's become my 4-year-old niece's go-to game over Lego Marvel and Movie, and she's actually getting pretty good at it.

Nice. Thanks for the thoughts on it. I think I'll take the plunge.

Montresor

I don't feel like writing out something long, I'll just write out my ratings for the four puzzle games I've played recently:

Fragments of Him: 2.5/5
*No real game play, all you do is touch stuff and hear characters narrate. Touching story.

Grim Legends: 4/5
*More Artifex Mundi goodness.

Broken Sword 5: 4/5
*Surprisingly great point-and-click adventure. I'm really digging the art style and the twists and turns in the story

In Between: 5/5
*Already wrote in a previous post what I loved about the game. It feels like "Braid" to me in terms of being the best new puzzle game of the gen.

Vert boil

Yes! 😁

But the microtransactions are there, even for the ones that are paying for it now???
First off, ya fuckin' bastard!!! ;)

They haven't shown up on the site or store yet like they did with the Chinese release but it isn't uncommon for games to not surface microtransaction. Hard to say without people playing the paid release.

First off, ya fuckin' bastard!!! ;).

Well, it was a quite expensive $10 game for me. Chinese Xbox Ones aren't cheap, you know.

I did not played it much yesterday (still fighting Kick & Fennick and was a little bit sick the last days). I will check again it later for the microtransactions.

Montresor

Inside is tempting me to pre-order. The game looks so slick. Perfect spiritual successor to Limbo. I just don't know if I can justify $20.

Montresor

Will you have to go without food and water?

Well no it's not like that. But I want to be more frugal if possible.

Edit: Actually, forget it. I just pre-ordered it on XB1. I loved the original Limbo so darn much. The trailer/reveal at the XB1 conference was mesmerizing.

Montresor

Finished Broken Sword 5 today and got the full 1000/1000; I really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to anyone that is a big adventure or puzzle game fan. The game had a really intriguing murder mystery story with a magical/fantasy twist. The game had some weaknesses (like awkward/cumbersome character movements, and it was so annoying that whenever you investigate an item, your cursor disappears and then unpredictably appears somewhere else). The puzzles were fantastic - there were some obscure ones but the game has a built-in help system. It had neat characters, funny dialogue, a lot of surprising sexual innuendo, and a great art style (pictures from my playthrough are below).

Does anyone know what kind of server/privacy options 7 Days to Die will have on console? A friend and I are thinking about getting it, but we'd like to play by ourselves, or possible in a game that only friends can join. Some of the stuff on the website sounds like maybe you can, but it's not clear.

Create – Unleash your creativity and build the ultimate world by yourself or with friends. Enjoy unlimited access to nearly 400 in-game items and 1,200 unique building blocks in creative mode.

Choose – Play the Navezgane campaign world, or dive back in with friends in a randomly-generated world with cities, towns, lakes, mountains, valleys, roads, caves and wilderness locations. The possibilities are infinite with over 300 locations.

tuna_love

Banned
Does anyone know what kind of server/privacy options 7 Days to Die will have on console? A friend and I are thinking about getting it, but we'd like to play by ourselves, or possible in a game that only friends can join. Some of the stuff on the website sounds like maybe you can, but it's not clear.
if its anything like pc you will be able to, it'll probably be invite only server or password server

Top Bottom