• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Montresor

Finished off the 1000/1000gs in both Grim Legends and In Between over the weekend. Both solid puzzle/adventure games.

I started Teslagrad and I like it so far. It's a 2-D side-scrolling puzzle game, but my first impression is it seems like it may be more of a Metroidvania game, just with no combat and pure puzzle/exploration game play (which I have no problem at all with!).

Montresor

Well gosh darn it. Deadlight Director's Cut no longer has the $10 discount. They never said it was a timed discount...

I had a look at the rating I originally gave it on 360: 2.5/5. Hmmph. Maybe I'll just skip this game entirely then (the Director's Cut). Whether it's $20 or has a $10 discount.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I started Teslagrad and I like it so far. It's a 2-D side-scrolling puzzle game, but my first impression is it seems like it may be more of a Metroidvania game, just with no combat and pure puzzle/exploration game play (which I have no problem at all with!).
It's not, because the progression is actually really linear. You just go up a floor at a time, acquiring new abilities to change the puzzles as you go. I thought the controls were too loose, making two of the bosses way more annoying than they should have been. Otherwise it was cute and entertaining enough but really short and greatly outshined by contemporaries like Guacamelee and Ori.

Vert boil

Released today,

Deadlight: Director's Cut - 20$, 4.91GB.

Drawful 2 - 10$, 222MB.

Mighty No.9 - 20$, 7.22GB.
--Ray Expansion - 5$

Pac-man 256 - 5$, 279MB.

New DLC,

Minecraft
--Battle Map pack 1 - 3$
--Battle Map Season pass - 10$

-----
Rocket League received the Neo Tokyo update yesterday.

muzzymate

Is it not the same as the free mobile version?

It mentions having a multiplayer mode with local co-op. Otherwise, probably the same except with a controller instead of a touch screen.

I'm a sucker for Pac-man and I had $5 worth of credit from Bing Rewards, so I picked it up.

Captain N

It mentions having a multiplayer mode with local co-op. Otherwise, probably the same except with a controller instead of a touch screen.

I'm a sucker for Pac-man and I had $5 worth of credit from Bing Rewards, so I picked it up.

It's the same as the iOS version and has the Apple TV multiplayer. No micro transactions.

There's an achievement for getting a score of 255. I did it twice and it didn't unlock. :/

jond76

Banned
Well gosh darn it. Deadlight Director's Cut no longer has the $10 discount. They never said it was a timed discount...

I had a look at the rating I originally gave it on 360: 2.5/5. Hmmph. Maybe I'll just skip this game entirely then (the Director's Cut). Whether it's $20 or has a $10 discount.

I played it on 360 and liked it. I missed the discount too :(

I really, really didn't like the original. Like, I hated it.

Montresor

It's not, because the progression is actually really linear. You just go up a floor at a time, acquiring new abilities to change the puzzles as you go. I thought the controls were too loose, making two of the bosses way more annoying than they should have been. Otherwise it was cute and entertaining enough but really short and greatly outshined by contemporaries like Guacamelee and Ori.

Thanks for the impressions! So far I think the art style and especially the animations are beautiful. In the first level, the backdrop is absolutely gorgeous (shows what appears to be a rural village contrasted by a gigantic industrial skyscraper).

Vert boil

Kyub will be coming out July 13th, 20$.

Site - Trailer

-----
And a few other dates were announced during EEE,

Reversi Quest will be coming out July 15th, 15$.

Site - Trailer

-----
We Happy Few will be joining the Game Preview program July 26th.

Site - Trailer

-----
Verdun will be coming out Aug 30th.

Site - Trailer

-----
Yesterday Origins will be coming out Sept 29th.

Site

RedStep

It's the same as the iOS version and has the Apple TV multiplayer. No micro transactions.

There's an achievement for getting a score of 255. I did it twice and it didn't unlock. :/

Quick note: I discovered that the achievement (though not worded that way) is for getting a 256-dot combo.

zorbsie

Heart and Slash looks promising. Anyone play it yet? Would love to hear some thoughts on it.

Finished Kick & Fennick and really enjoyed my time with it. Fun mechanic that doesn't get too difficult with timing/platforming. Only had one frustrating part, but that was my fault for trying something when I didn't have the right booster enabled. Definitely worth the price. Will probably go back to it to find all collectibles.

Montresor

Any suggestions for the best game $10 can get on Xbox One right now? Including 360 games.

There are tons of games I love but no easy way for me to sort them by price (to see which ones are $10).

But any suggestions from me will be very very heavily skewed towards puzzle/adventure games as that's my go-to genre for indies on XB1.

One suggestion off the top of my head is the game "In Between" which is a fantastic puzzle game and is only $12.

------------

Anyway, I'm close to buying Monochroma. It's only $10 and the description on the store sounds incredible.

Monochroma is a cinematic puzzle platformer that takes place in an industrial-alchemic setting. It's about being a child, having a little brother, growing up, falling down and solving some other puzzles. Monochroma offers a deeply visual, intellectual, and emotional experience. The game tells it story without using any written or spoken words. It has black and white graphics only coloured with red. Monochroma features realistic locations and puzzles modelled with accurate physics. Puzzle designs are far from arbitrary trial-and-error gameplay.

The trailers and pictures on the XB1 store look phenomenal. But the darn game has a 55 metacritic on PC and no reviews on XB1 and PS4........

Montresor

Any suggestions for the best game $10 can get on Xbox One right now? Including 360 games.

I went ahead through my favourites and came up with this list of puzzle games that I love, all $10 or close to it:

In Between ($12)
Limbo ($10)
Thomas Was Alone ($11)
A Boy and His Blob ($10)
The Bridge ($10)
Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut ($10)
Kalimba ($10)
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart ($10)
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink ($10)
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek ($10)
Unmechanical: Extended Edition ($10)
The Fall ($10)
Stick it to the Man ($10)
Cubot - The Complexity of Simplicity ($2)
6180 The Moon ($4)
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride ($10)

Also, there's this which I enjoyed too:

Forza Fast and Furious ($10)

Tntnico

I went ahead through my favourites and came up with this list of puzzle games that I love, all $10 or close to it:

In Between ($12)
Limbo ($10)
Thomas Was Alone ($11)
A Boy and His Blob ($10)
The Bridge ($10)
Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut ($10)
Kalimba ($10)

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart ($10)
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink ($10)
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek ($10)
Unmechanical: Extended Edition ($10)
The Fall ($10)
Stick it to the Man ($10)
Cubot - The Complexity of Simplicity ($2)
6180 The Moon ($4)
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride ($10)

Also, there's this which I enjoyed too:

Forza Fast and Furious ($10)

For me Kalimba is one of the best Xbox One game to date. Shame that Press Play closed :(

speedomodel

How do I do that?

Also, when does Halo 5 Free Play Days start?

If you go to Bing.com, should be an option at the top to join the rewards. Then you simply bing search every day on PC and mobile device, add friends (fake accounts) if possible, do the random daily tasks. It takes a bit of time but it seriously adds up. Depends how much time you invest into it.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but are there any good couch co-op games you guys can recommend that I can play with a young teenager that aren't overly violent or complicated?

Flux

Not sure if this is the right thread, but are there any good couch co-op games you guys can recommend that I can play with a young teenager that aren't overly violent or complicated?

Generic answers:
Minecraft
Rocket League
Lego games. Might be too old, only the right themed one would interest him/her.
Skylanders

MP emphasis:
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 or 2, its a "shooter" but not in the traditional sense. Can do the horde mode and multiplayer in the 2nd game online with a local splitscreen.
I think Star Wars Battlefront can do the same. It's not overly violent, but does have guns, basically on the level of the movies.

If you had these with GWG:
Guacamelee. Punch stuff.
Child o Light.
Rayman Legends. Gets tougher later on with tricky platforming.

schlew

Lovers in a Dangerous Space-time is a blast co-op. You each control a crew member of a space ship, moving around its insides to man the appropriate function (lasers, shield, movement, etc.) as the situation dictates. Fun single player too, but it's clearly built for co-op.

RedStep

Heart and Slash looks promising. Anyone play it yet? Would love to hear some thoughts on it.

Finished Kick & Fennick and really enjoyed my time with it. Fun mechanic that doesn't get too difficult with timing/platforming. Only had one frustrating part, but that was my fault for trying something when I didn't have the right booster enabled. Definitely worth the price. Will probably go back to it to find all collectibles.

I picked up Heart & Slash - the gameplay is intriguing (yet another roguelike, but I don't think they're fully saturated yet) but the camera is straight ass, with no controls (that I can find) to adjust.

It plays like the sensitivity is set to Ultra High in all directions. It's playable since the attacks are wide enough to not need super precision, but it's kind of nauseating. I haven't played the PC version to compare, but I'm hoping its a bug as opposed to a feature.

Example (Forgive the pause, that's the joy of "Hey Cortana"'s new processing ability)

My Hot Take is that Neon Chrome edges it out as far as recent games go, but that one kind of fell through for me after a successful run so maybe this one has better endgame content.

Vert boil

Released today,

7 Days to Die - 30$, 3.29GB.
--The Walking Dead Skin Pack - 2$

Full Mojo Rampage - 13$, 419MB.

Resident Evil 5 - 20$, 15.95GB.

Risk: Urban Assault might show up later as well.

New DLC,

Xbox Fitness (Sunset announcement)
--Mobility and Strength Training - free
--Zombies - free

----------
Tumblestone will be coming out July 16th as a Games with Gold title, 25$.

Site - Gameplay - Cinematic Trailer

-----
The Magic Circle: Gold Edition will be coming out June 29th.

Site - Trailer

-----
Ethan: Meteor Hunter will be coming out July 1st.

Site - Trailer

-----
Banner Saga 2 will be coming out July 1st as a Games with Gold title, 20$.

Site - Trailer

Generic answers:
Minecraft
Rocket League
Lego games. Might be too old, only the right themed one would interest him/her.
Skylanders

MP emphasis:
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 or 2, its a "shooter" but not in the traditional sense. Can do the horde mode and multiplayer in the 2nd game online with a local splitscreen.
I think Star Wars Battlefront can do the same. It's not overly violent, but does have guns, basically on the level of the movies.

If you had these with GWG:
Guacamelee. Punch stuff.
Child o Light.
Rayman Legends. Gets tougher later on with tricky platforming.

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't remember Guacamelee having co-op but that seems like a good choice.

Top Bottom