• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

So I officially completed 1000/1000 on Contrast last night. I can say that I finished a game before official release now :p.

Review should be up later today

Excellent, glad to see the games are finally rolling out on Xbox One now. Been tempted by full-price Tomb Raider in the store far too often thanks to the lack of alternatives (playing Valiant Hearts atm, loving that!)

How is Another World on Xbox One?

aries_71

How is Another World on Xbox One?

Is as good as any of the new versions for current generation hardware.

Problem with the game is that the mechanics show its age. I like it, for nostalgic reasons, but I don't think it's a game ready for 2014. The achievements are easy, the new graphics are ok.

Is as good as any of the new versions for current generation hardware.

Problem with the game is that the mechanics show its age. I like it, for nostalgic reasons, but I don't think it's a game ready for 2014. The achievements are easy, the new graphics are ok.

Thank you.

I'll probably pick it up for nostalgic reasons myself. I think it was the recent Flashback game that was making me slightly wary.

derFeef

The Contrast dev said on reddit that they made some improvements in terms of platforming and mechanics for the XBO version. Not sure if that would make the game "better" as I have not played it on any platform yet.

Chitown B

Too many downloadable games coming on XB1... I will never finish my 360 backlog. =p

for serious.

I gotta say, I think making every single game 1000GS is ruining achievements. The weight of a 2 hour game shouldn't be the same as the weight of a 50 hour game, score-wise.

Too many downloadable games coming on XB1... I will never finish my 360 backlog. =p

Yeah, it's been a busy summer so far surprisingly. I feel like I'll never get to the GwG 360 games. Still want to dig into Dark Souls, SSFIV and Charlie Murder but I feel like I don't have the time.

This was my first time playing Contrast, missed it on PS+ and last gen. I actually quite enjoyed myself. It's a tad bit on the shorter side, there are 3 Acts, and I completed the game in 2 sittings. I wish I could say how long it took me, but the Smartglass app sucks and under time played it says 0, so it is glitchy as usual.

The platforming is pretty great though. The puzzles are pretty good for the most part, although some are annoying due to the precision needed in shadow form, the story is very good, and the music is a shining part of it all.

With that said, $15 might be asking a bit much, I think $10 would be a bit more appropriate.

contrasthnkk8.png

Added to OP.

Need to dive into my review copy, been playing a lot of Zombie Driver atm, i'll post my impressions when I've written them up.

Magic 2015 has a release date of 16th July btw according to this so i'll update the image on that too

for serious.

I gotta say, I think making every single game 1000GS is ruining achievements. The weight of a 2 hour game shouldn't be the same as the weight of a 50 hour game, score-wise.

It is very difficult to make any distinction.

A retail game can be only 2 hours long (Terminator) or super fast achievements (Avatar) and a download only title can be 30+ hours long or have super hard achievements.

Those things happened all the time with the 360, and its download titles (XBLA) was no near simple was originally envisioned back in 2004.

So the decision (correct in my point of view) was made: games are games and every one should have 1000G.

Of course the commulative score of achievements is pretty useless in any case/scenario, sod if you want to have an idea how good a player is you have to look for individual games achievements.

Montresor

for serious.

I LOVE that every game is 1000 gamerscore. Feels great IMO.

I am double-dipping on Telltale's three games later this year partially for this reason.

Chitown B

It is very difficult to make any distinction.

A retail game can be only 2 hours long (Terminator) or super fast achievements (Avatar) and a download only title can be 30+ hours long or have super hard achievements.

Those things happened all the time with the 360, and its download titles (XBLA) was no near simple was originally envisioned back in 2004.

So the decision (correct in my point of view) was made: games are games and every one should have 1000G.

Of course the commulative score of achievements is pretty useless in any case/scenario, sod if you want to have an idea how good a player is you have to look for individual games achievements.

I LOVE that every game is 1000 gamerscore. Feels great IMO.

I am double-dipping on Telltale's three games later this year partially for this reason.

Which pads your gamerscore easily. I don't know, just seems to cheapen the actual number, to me. While I agree that some downloadable arcade-like games have hard achievements and some disc movie based games are super easy (Avatar,I'm looking at you) - for the most part, the disc games seem to be more complex and take longer to get the achieves. You won't find a "Seriously...." type achieve on a $15 game, for instance.

But yes, you have to start looking at actual achieves rather than score, I guess.

Ms should mandate more achievements if they want developers to make more effort.

Something like SSSP where the developers wanted weekly leaderboards they could have done one that was like "register a score on both game modes once a week for 4 weeks" or something (or made it a challenge I guess)

klodeckel

Banned
Ms should mandate more achievements if they want developers to make more effort.

I think developers are competely free in their decisions regarding achievements. The only limits are max. 1000 GS and min. 8(?) achievements. Everything else should be pretty much up to them. And of course they can add as much Challenges later on as they want. They can even add new achievementss with new content.

I think developers are competely free in their decisions regarding achievements. The only limits are max. 1000 GS and min. 8(?) achievements. Everything else should be pretty much up to them. And of course they can add as much Challenges later on as they want. They can even add new achievementss with new content.

They don't even need new content to add new achievements now, they don't even need a title update. Crimson dragon just added new achievements this week just cause.

I've never cared about the overall number for gamer score I have but more so that feeling of accomplishment in getting 1000/1000. The move to 1000 gamers core per game just encourages these smaller games to add more incentives to play or come back so I think it'd a great move

I also enjoy having the "beat x game on hardest difficulty" on my account.

U2NUMB

I've never cared about the overall number for gamer score I have but more so that feeling of accomplishment in getting 1000/1000. The move to 1000 gamers core per game just encourages these smaller games to add more incentives to play or come back so I think it'd a great move

I also enjoy having the "beat x game on hardest difficulty" on my account.

The only thing I wish MS had taken from Sony's system is an achievement that indicates the game is completed like the Plats. Would be a cool number to have next to your name... number of games completed. But this new snap achievement app is freaking amazing for grinding games like Forza or Dead Rising.

eastx

Oh hey, Guacamelee is the free Games with Gold title in July. Weird, right?

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/games-july-games-with-gold

Anyone try RBI baseball? I know its not deep or anything. In season mode, does it keep your players stats?

I played a single game but didn't mess around with Season Mode. It is the most plain-Jane baseball game you could imagine, though. People who miss the NES experience will probably appreciate it, but the lack of modes and features (including online play) is pretty disappointing given the high price.

My hands-on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oprV1eqgr3U&list=PL0w19DzXpZAlnRLVemjuqTghfPzXg8r3a&index=2

klodeckel

Banned
Great that it is a new game, disappointing that is only one game. Didn't MS said 2 games per month? Keeping Max another month is a little trickery.

I don't think they ever said this. They said this would count only for June - "E3 month". Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Good stuff on Guacamelee being free! I actually had hope that they would follow PS+ offerings from the first few months where Sony made the free games brand new release games. Good stuff. Shame it's only one game, but Battleblock Theatre on 360 will be mine as well!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd rather take 1 free new game a month than 2 older ones, honestly. I was surprised we got 2, given the fact the system hasn't even been out a year yet. And I don't really think it's too bad that Max is *Still* free, because it just means that more people who buy new One's have a chance to get it too.

With every platform giving out either free games, or great, quality games with sub $5~$20 purchases, it's not like I'm desperate for games. These freebies remain a nice bonus, tacked on as an addition to the purchases I make. And if I wasn't buying anything at all... then they'd be a nice bonus in a time where I was spending money on other things.

It's also nice that Guacamelee comes with all it's DLC and stuff too. So even those who played it before (like me) might have something new to mess around with.

Lima

Is the outlast dlc worth the money? Just finished the main story yesterday. Scared the fuck out of me all the way til the end.

Yes it is my friend. Just as scary as the main game and there is some real shit to be seen in that DLC. It's around the same length as well.

TK Turk

Banned
Finally, some news on Pier Solar HD!!!

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/blogs/?rdirectlink=30

PSHD Update Part 1: a bunch of updates you won't want to miss!
Hi Everyone.

It's been a super busy month, trying to wrap up everything and and lined up for release, here are a bunch of news and interesting stuff.

NEWS

We're starting the submission process for PSHD. Valve already approved it for release on Steam so that's done and done. We may contact some of you who subscribed to beta test to test the game on Steam using a beta key. Stay tuned. Microsoft already evaluated Pier Solar as well but we failed some internal requirements on the certification and we're correcting them for the next submission. This also impacts Wii U and PlayStation(s) submissions since we want to send it as clean as possible so that we don't get another failed certification. Luckily, the process doesn't take as long as we thought, so the perspectives to getting a release date gets better. As soon as we're certified on all platforms we'll announce the date and put it on the street. We're also submitting PSHD for PEGI, which is slightly more complex than ESRB, but required for a release in Europe. We're expecting a rating of PEGI 7. One last thing, we're working to get a publisher to release PSHD in Japan. Due CERO regulations it's only possible to release a game if a studio has an established working office in Japan and we don't have it. So once we get it we're secure to release in Japan, this, hopefully could also lead to having a publisher for 360. Fingers crossed.

Ok GAF, I have $17 still sitting in my Xbox account from the GameStop points bonanza and I'm torn equally between Valiant Hearts and Contrast. Any thoughts? Which one do you guys like better.

Right now I'm leaning towards VH but the dev note on Contrast makes me want to support them. I'm torn!

purg3

slept with Malkin
Ok GAF, I have $17 still sitting in my Xbox account from the GameStop points bonanza and I'm torn equally between Valiant Hearts and Contrast. Any thoughts? Which one do you guys like better.

Right now I'm leaning towards VH but the dev note on Contrast makes me want to support them. I'm torn!

VH, without question.

Top Bottom