• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

N° 2048

Don't know if this is the right thread (can't find an actual XO thread) but does the XO download while on standby mode? Just got one and mine seems to be shuffling download queue around randomly when turned off. Would suck if I have to leave it on to download things.

Rembrandt

Banned
Chariot is okay so far. (only done first level/speedrun) Seems like it would be a lot of fun with multiplayer which makes online a weird omission. Haven't discovered any blueprints for the shops, so idk what's in there yet. Overall, not a bad first ID@Xbox game at all.

Killer

Banned
Chariot is okay so far. (only done first level/speedrun) Seems like it would be a lot of fun with multiplayer which makes online a weird omission. Haven't discovered any blueprints for the shops, so idk what's in there yet. Overall, not a bad first ID@Xbox game at all.

no online mp? that's a bummer.

Games like Chariot and Totem that require precision don't have online MP because lag or any type of latency might ruin some of the timing and perfection needed for puzzles. At least that is what Press Play told me at PAX on why Totem wouldn't have it...and after playing it local it made sense to me

Montresor

I may pass on Chariot. It doesn't look that great. Too reliant on puzzles and physics.

Okay. It's a physics-based puzzle game. It's fine to not be into that genre, but the way you wrote your post it's like if someone said, MCC doesn't look that great, it's too reliant on shooting and guns.

Rembrandt

Banned
no online mp? that's a bummer.

None at all.

Games like Chariot and Totem that require precision don't have online MP because lag or any type of latency might ruin some of the timing and perfection needed for puzzles. At least that is what Press Play told me at PAX on why Totem wouldn't have it...and after playing it local it made sense to me

I can see that, especially with how physics reliant the game is. Should still be an option, though.

if it's not your thing, free doesn't matter. I dont stop for the free samples of diabetic candy at the grocery store.

But some point you've tried candy to realize that it isn't worth free to you, right?

I agree, don't get it if you don't want it, but the file is pretty small and it can't hurt to try it out for an hour...who knows, the poster might be pleasently surprised.

E92 M3

I remember being shocked when I couldn't find many demos on Xbox One, after they went so hard last gen with making sure almost everything had one. Just one of the many aspects from Xbox 360 I really loved.

Another decision that Spencer needs to reverse. Demos sell games. Without demos I am not buying any of the "smaller games" that come out on the store.

Krilekk

Banned
The only people it's hurting are developers that don't do a demo. The framework is there, they just have to use it. But yeah, good luck selling your $25 indie games that cost <$10 on Steam.

MS really took a step back this gen without demos. Like many people are going to buy a $25 indie game they've heard little or nothing about.

This is absolutely correct, but on the other hand, there is nothing stopping developers from doing demos (considering trials had their own certification anyway on 360) and they did add back the ability to do trials like on XBLA iirc? Both can do more (developers and MS) but its a shame its not mandatory.

Another decision that Spencer needs to reverse. Demos sell games. Without demos I am not buying any of the "smaller games" that come out on the store.

XBLA titles might be different, but haven't we found out that generally demos don't sell games? Otherwise everyone would be doing them, and they aren't... although perhaps my comment is more referring to bigger AAA games, but the cost/effort involved, people would do it if they thought it was worth it, presumably.

Jet Car Stunts is coming out in the next few weeks. Released on 360 already at $6.99/£5.59

Launch trailer

Agreed on this so much.

While there are no demos, I don't really agree that there is no exposure or information available. Besides the outside channels like reviews and impressions on sites/youtube, XB1 also features people streaming the game on the game's store page. I was watching someone play D4 yesterday while I was checking out the store page looking for footage. What I saw made me really want to buy the game as it looked whacky and right up my alley for an adventure game.

While I agree it isn't the same as playing the game itself, watching someone play it should be enough to sell the game if someone really wants it.

While there are no demos, I don't really agree that there is no exposure or information available. Besides the outside channels like reviews and impressions on sites/youtube, XB1 also features people streaming the game on the game's store page. I was watching someone play D4 yesterday while I was checking out the store page looking for footage. What I saw made me really want to buy the game as it looked whacky and right up my alley for an adventure game.

While I agree it isn't the same as playing the game itself, watching someone play it should be enough to sell the game if someone really wants it.

Agreed. There's tons of materials out there that directly give you a sense of how the game will play.

Plus, if developers can put that extra time that they would devote to making a demo towards making the actual game better, it benefits consumers in the long run.

U2NUMB

I think the problem is price. Even with Arcade games it started out in the 9.99 -15 dollar range. Now getting to $25 or so most people at least in the Xbox universe are used to trying it out. For instance I already have bought far less games than I used to as I am simply not gonna drop 20 bucks on a game that I can not try out. The only one recently was Defense Grid 2 where I loved the first but looking at the leaderboards the pricing has failed and it is selling like crap.

Looks like we have our first Xbox One announced game casualty: The Last Tinker
https://twitter.com/MimimiProd/status/515040290865176576
https://twitter.com/MimimiProd/status/515040492305014784

Seems PS4 sales were too low, and since XB1 total console sales aren't too close to PS4 console sales, it isn't worth it for them to continue work on X1 side of things.

Shame, as I was looking forward to it on X1. I'll be buying it on PS4 though ASAP now.

I think the problem is price. Even with Arcade games it started out in the 9.99 -15 dollar range. Now getting to $25 or so most people at least in the Xbox universe are used to trying it out. For instance I already have bought far less games than I used to as I am simply not gonna drop 20 bucks on a game that I can not try out. The only one recently was Defense Grid 2 where I loved the first but looking at the leaderboards the pricing has failed and it is selling like crap.

Yep, price is a HUGE problem. Many people (myself not included) perceive XBLA style games to need to be around $10-15. $20-25 is just too much, and any game launching in the area between $20 and $60 are likely in for a rough awakening. What it will take is a AAA style game to release at $40 for the public to start having a better view on pricing, because as of right now, if a game is low budget AAA game is $40, the public perception is that it is an inferior and poor product since it didn't launch at $60...but if it launched at $60 it would be deemed overpriced and still not sell. :/

Well, that's unfortunate about The Last Tinker. I can't say I'm really surprised by it but I was still looking forward to the game.

Maybe later down the line they can pick it back up and finish the port.

eastx

and? I haven't downloaded all the free games, only a couple. Why take up hard drive space on something I will probably not play?

The idea is to try the game and find out whether you actually will like it or not, instead of making up your mind in advance. You might be surprised, and that can be a very pleasant feeling. We can't make you be open minded though.

bidguy

Banned
got a pop up that says "alien isolation ready to start" out of the blue but it still takes me to the store page

pre loaded days ago from hk store

edit: oh wrong thread sorry

TK Turk

Banned
I have played Chariot for a few hours now with my fiancé and I am loving it and so is she. If you enjoyed Max I highly recommend this game.

Anion

So I happened to have a few friends over and we tried chariot for a bit. It was interesting. Definitely worth trying, especially since it's free

Orca

MS really took a step back this gen without demos. Like many people are going to buy a $25 indie game they've heard little or nothing about.

I'd like to see demos, but if I click on a game I'm not sure about the first thing to the right is the streaming section and game clips. Between the two I'll get an idea if I'd be interested or not.

TK Turk

Banned
Yeah, but if I download it and start it, my completionist attitude will kick in and I'll want to finish it, even if I don't enjoy it.

We'll see

Is it local co-op only? Because I always game alone.

Yes local coop only but can be played just fine alone.

Montresor

Yeah, but if I download it and start it, my completionist attitude will kick in and I'll want to finish it, even if I don't enjoy it.

We'll see

Is it local co-op only? Because I always game alone.

I am the same way, but really, life is too short to play games you don't like to completion. On the same token, you can never know if you'll enjoy new experiences if you don't give new things a try. What I do is a compromise between giving up on a started game and completing it - go for some minimum type of achievement/gamerscore you'd be satisfied with (i.e. 500/1000) and then just let it go. Not everything in your list has to be 1000'd. =) You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise. This is coming from someone who tries to complete almost every game he plays. So I'll go ahead and try out Chariot, because typically I really enjoy those kinds of puzzle games. But if it turns out to be a mediocre game, no foreskin off my back - I'll go for that "minimum" and then let the game go.

Also Project Spark is out

Microsoft should tell someone
Project-Spark-ChampionsQuest-07-jpg.ashx

Project-Spark-Screen-09-2014-15-jpg.ashx

Project-Spark-Screen-09-2014-10-jpg.ashx

Project-Spark-Screen-09-2014-07-jpg.ashx

derFeef

How is Spark anyway? I looked into the beta a few times, but did not follow it. Did they ruin it with dumb F2P decisions?

tuna_love

Banned
How is Spark anyway? I looked into the beta a few times, but did not follow it. Did they ruin it with dumb F2P decisions?
I think it started with dumb f2p decisions and they fixed them up a bit. Off topic but is it possible to get a refund on digital purchases off Xbox. Alien is pretty rough

Ape

Banned
I think it started with dumb f2p decisions and they fixed them up a bit. Off topic but is it possible to get a refund on digital purchases off Xbox. Alien is pretty rough

Yes you can. My refund of Destiny was provided by Microsoft without any hassles at all. All you have to do is ring them up and explain that the game wasn't your thing. That's what worked for me at least.

e: Then again, I have spent no exaggeration thousands and thousands of dollars with my Microsoft profile and at Gold status for many years. That was my only refund for a digital item ever. Not sure if that plays into it.

Oh really? Might be too late for me with Destiny though - onl played 2 hours or so :(

Oh, yeah. It's been a long time on that one. You can try! Just tell them to pull up your gamertag and see that you've played it for 2 hours lol. I really don't know what they look at.

derFeef

Yes you can. My refund of Destiny was provided by Microsoft without any hassles at all. All you have to do is ring them up and explain that the game wasn't your thing. That's what worked for me at least.

Oh really? Might be too late for me with Destiny though - onl played 2 hours or so :(

ekim

Do they revoke your license?

Top Bottom