• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

eastx

Absolutely and it's why I'm finding the whole indie expansion kind of "meh". Ironically, everything looks the same.

That's what AAA games are for then. Indie devs make the games they can afford to make. Unless a specific art style that a game has rubs you the wrong way, these types of complaints are simply not reasonable.

That's what AAA games are for then. Indie devs make the games they can afford to make. Unless a specific art style that a game has rubs you the wrong way, these types of complaints are simply not reasonable.

Of course I appreciate all their efforts, but I can see his point: everyone seens to following a trends, which should be the opposite of indie.

danowat

Banned
At least in terms of the console market, the Indie scene seems to be taking the safe option, and cookie cutter pixel/survival/crafting games are the theme at the moment.

I always thought Indie games were meant to be edgy and diverse, not clones of everything else.

don't get me wrong, I have as much fun as the next man with things like Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac, but want to see more diversity.

Special C

The Escapists is fairly unique, but it does have a crafting system and I'm really tired of those. Do you guys look up recipes or try to figure then out on your own on these kinds of games?

Why not? Their games aren't standing out in any particular way from one another to extent I'm not willing to put down my cash. There's nothing to stop someone producing a 3D indie game or even one that doesn't devolve down to 8/16bit art. That's ignoring the genre fatigue too.

eastx

Why not? Their games aren't standing out in any particular way from one another to extent I'm not willing to put down my cash. There's nothing to stop someone producing a 3D indie game or even one that doesn't devolve down to 8/16bit art. That's ignoring the genre fatigue too.

Genres are a different story; I'm just talking about art style. 3D graphics that are visually pleasing are way more expensive and time consuming than 2D artwork (especially simply pixel art). Most indie developers couldn't possibly afford to compete against AAA or larger indie developed 3D games graphically. So yeah, they often go with 2D artwork, maybe even pixel art, because those art styles don't require as many resources as 3D graphics and AAA games aren't working in that space to begin with.

Nobody's saying you have to like indie games or 2D games. But saying, "hey indie devs, make more 3D games," when most of them literally can't afford to do that - again, is unreasonable.

Nobody's saying you have to like indie games or 2D games. But saying, "hey indie devs, make more 3D games," when most of them literally can't afford to do that - again, is unreasonable.

I neither claimed that it's been suggested I have to like 2D and/or indie games. The market is over-saturated in both the art department and genres, and I for one, feel particularly fatigued by it and constant circle jerk around them that for all intents and purposes seems un-warranted or without merit.

Whether or not a studio can afford it is irrelevant as the market is what it is.

Does The Escapists seem incredibly hard to anyone else? Did the tutorial level, struggling with the first prison... haha

It's one of those games that the moment you learn some tricks the game becomes extremely easy, the RNG on loot is not enough to make the game hard.

Not seen the newer prisions they added but i'm sure it's the same learning curve.

Bsigg12

I'm pretty excited for Hand of Fate and Pneuma over the next 2 weeks.

I'm enjoying The Escapists though, it's a very unique game.

Doukou

I'm enjoying Escapists but I feel so lost. I only got out of the first prison after beating the all the guards up and running. I have no idea how to go about planning.

I'm enjoying Escapists but I feel so lost. I only got out of the first prison after beating the all the guards up and running. I have no idea how to go about planning.

Yeah, this is what I was worried about which is why I haven't picked it up quite yet. Seems like a game with a lot of trial and error and figuring things out as you go.

Guerrilla

So I just wanted to pick up the escapist, but then I noticed it's 20$ isn't that a bit steep? I would be there for 10$ max, but 20 seems overkill. Or is it still worth it compared to other games in that price range?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
So I just wanted to pick up the escapist, but then I noticed it's 20$ isn't that a bit steep? I would be there for 10$ max, but 20 seems overkill. Or is it still worth it compared to other games in that price range?

I'm only buying the game at 10€ maximum.

I might be interested in:

Pure Pool
1001 Spikes
Strider
Tetris Ultimate
Giana Sisters
Thomas Was Alone
Pier Solar
Shadow Warrior

Shadow Warrior and Thomas Was Alone the main ones I'm interested in.

Also if MS wanted to make Ryse and DR3 Legendary/Apocalypse Editions mega cheap I could dig that

It would be good of they share the discounted games before the sale... There is a psn sale right now and I am looking at Tomb Raiders Osiris, but I eould prefer it in Xbox One.

Some of those deals look alright to me, if they stay like that.

Lords of the fallen for 85% off is amazing if real, i'd glady buy that game again digitally for £6 or so.

"go gold now" makes me think it could be a limited offer to new gold members maybe, have microsoft ever done something like that before?

Some of those deals look alright to me, if they stay like that.

Lords of the fallen for 85% off is amazing if real, i'd glady buy that game again digitally for £6 or so.

"go gold now" makes me think it could be a limited offer to new gold members maybe, have microsoft ever done something like that before?

don't think so

If true, Lords of The Fallen, Sniper 3 and Temple of Osoris will be mine. Plus Aliens Season Pass. Mordor pass discount is weak, but I may pick it too. Worth?

Lords of the Fallen is a pretty good Souls clone, I absolutely love the Souls games and I found Lords a nice 'off-brand' one. Short but still enjoyed my time with it. Pretty nice graphics.

Crashes every-so-often and some weird glitches but I never overly cared because I was enjoying the game. The wait between Souls games can be pretty hard sometimes so its nice to have a clone game like this IMO to fill the gap, I'll happily play stuff like this.

On that note, where the heck is the DLC? lol. My achievements can't be finished because they put the DLC achievements up but didn't release the DLC? :|

Anyway, at that much discount it is easily worthwhile. Great filler for if you're waiting for Bloodborne or Dark Souls II ENH8NCED EDITIONZ™.

As far as the other stuff goes, time for me to grab the Shadows of Mordor DLC hopefully! Woo!

Kampfheld

Banned
Interesting side fact ... at least 3 Rare intellectual properties are currently in some form being worked on. Technically at least 4 - but let's not count Killer Instinct. Still an impressive number if you ask me.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Interesting side fact ... at least 3 Rare intellectual properties are currently in some form being worked on. Technically at least 4 - but let's not count Killer Instinct. Still an impressive number if you ask me.

A conker game is one of them? And don't count the thing of project spark.
I want a new conker game and viva piñata.

Hmm, Banjo, Battletoads, Conker (Project Spark) and then KI too seem the likely candidates. Someone needs to tell Microsoft to get announcing!

speedomodel

I might be interested in:

Pure Pool
1001 Spikes
Strider
Tetris Ultimate
Giana Sisters
Thomas Was Alone
Pier Solar
Shadow Warrior

Shadow Warrior and Thomas Was Alone the main ones I'm interested in.

Also if MS wanted to make Ryse and DR3 Legendary/Apocalypse Editions mega cheap I could dig that
Thomas Was Alone is absolutely brilliant. Definitely don't miss it. Shadow Warrior is a blast as well, been having a lot of fun with it.
A page is up for some of the Xbox One bits on the Aus xbox.com.

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/promotions/sales/ultimate-game-sale-xbox-one-deals-TEST

Screencap

The URL says test so don't come at me with pitchforks if things aren't accurate.
Would love it if this was true, but I'm a little doubtful. At the top it looks like "Xbox 360 Serious Savings" is highlighted, like it's the current page being viewed and yet all the sales are Xbox One...I dunno, hoping this is true.

Would grab Lords of the Fallen, Alien Isolation, Kinect Sports Rivals, Temple of Osiris and maybe even Angry Birds..

Kind of hope Life is Strange, Pier Solar, Sunset and Murdered see some nice cuts.
Do tell.

Kampfheld

Banned
Hmm, Banjo, Battletoads, Conker (Project Spark) and then KI too seem the likely candidates. Someone needs to tell Microsoft to get announcing!
E3 isn't that far away :) Still not sure if E3 might be too early for some things, but let's just wait. This will be Phils "first" E3 with heavy influence by him. I expect him to completely focus on this event.

That said ... Where is Happy Wars? :( Really funny game. Maybe they try to bring back cross play - but this is just my personal assumption.

On another note - and this is also just a personal statement - I'm super excited to see reactions to what projects Rare is up to.

E3 isn't that far away :) Still not sure if E3 might be too early for some things, but let's just wait. This will be Phils "first" E3 with heavy influence by him. I expect him to completely focus on this event.

That said ... Where is Happy Wars? :( Really funny game. Maybe they try to bring back cross play - but this is just my personal assumption.

On another note - and this is also just a personal statement - I'm super excited to see reactions to what projects Rare is up to.
I'm thinking it got delayed to try and work in Windows 10 cross play...just a guess though. I loved it on 360, perfect game to pick up and play a few matches with friends.

And about your Rare teases...well...just look at my name to see how badly I want a certain game with a certain bear and bird ;)

Happy Wars was Spring last they said, I'm expecting/hoping for an update next month.

E3 is just under 4 months away, thats loads :p Yeh, I think this year will certainly be interesting especially as they clearly have a lot of content they could show in some form both announced and unannounced:

> Scalebound, Halo 5, Fable Legends, Quantum Break, Crackdown, Phantom Dust, Forza 6, Tomb Raider all announced, with varying levels of information about them

> Unannounced: PressPlay, Twisted Pixel, Rare, Undead Labs, Black Tusk/Gears of War

Then any new partnerships they've formed, some of those studios could be on multiple things (LH on new IP too but not expecting that for a long while tbh). Big E3 and Gamescom coming up certainly

Top Bottom