• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

I was in-personally told by someone from Devolver Digital that they're being kept from releasing most of their games on Xbox One due to the ID@Xbox parity clause. They would prefer to launch first on PlayStation and then port to Xbox One, but as of now Microsoft is not letting them.

The Hotline Miami games would be so awesome to have on XB1. MS has to get their shit together.

Montresor

White Night is absolutely incredible. I'm up to Chapter 5 now. I'm stoked to get this finished and do some more playthroughs.

Lara Croft Temple of Osiris is also quite good. That game looks astonishingly pretty on XB1, especially when
you get further along in the story and the open world area goes from nighttime to daytime

I'm trying to 1000/1000 both those games in time for next Monday, in which (*crossing fingers*) I hope I'll get a free copy of Ori and Blind Forest thanks to gaf member lifeexpectancy's giveaway.

flkraven

The way you describe it, it sorta sounds like Trials.

Similar to Trials, but the combo system makes it less about completing the level in a certain time and more about executing a diverse set of moves perfectly the entire time. It hooks you in the same way Trials does for sure.

Similar to Trials, but the combo system makes it less about completing the level in a certain time and more about executing a diverse set of moves perfectly the entire time. It hooks you in the same way Trials does for sure.

I hear that. I was thinking Trials plus Tony Hawk. It sounds pretty fun. I may pick it up on a sale or something.

I was in-personally told by someone from Devolver Digital that they're being kept from releasing most of their games on Xbox One due to the ID@Xbox parity clause. They would prefer to launch first on PlayStation and then port to Xbox One, but as of now Microsoft is not letting them.

Octodad coming out this Summer.

... I'm legit shook that Octodad can get around the Parity Clause but that Devolver cannot.

I hear that. I was thinking Trials plus Tony Hawk. It sounds pretty fun. I may pick it up on a sale or something.

... I'm legit shook that Octodad can get around the Parity Clause but that Devolver cannot.
I think the difference you will see is that Octodad, and many other titles that have gotten around the clause, are smaller games with new/newish devs. I'm sure MS can understand why a dev would want to focus on one platform for their first game.

Devolver on the other hand is a big enough publisher where they could ship on the same day with Xbox and Playstation if they wanted to, they just choose not to since they have a "relationship" with Playstation. Not saying that I agree with MSs stance if that is it, but I think there's a difference and why you see these smaller studios titles coming later and not studios like Devolver.

Final Fantasy seems to cost the same as any other retail game, at least here in the US. And it's a lengthy game with high production values. I'd buy if i I didn't have piles of other games to play right now.

New games sure but this is a remaster. Those prices don't seem as fixed.

Metro Redux seemed like a steal at $50, but even there I should have waited (because it dropped in price so fast). Type-0 HD just seems overpriced to me.

Montresor

Too many games coming out recently. So little time. =/

Will have to see if I should add LA Cops to the "list of games I eventually want to play".

zorbsie

Damn, zorb. You suck at this.

Looks damn good though. Not sure if it's worth checking out with HLM2 out now as well as it looks pretty similar...hmm.

I really did suck on that mansion level. I feel like this is a poor mans Hotline Miami. I like that it's polygonal but some of the UI is terrible. Character selection is wonk. The objectives staying up all game is brutal. Couldn't see an enemy shooting me a few times because of that. The enemies are really inconsistent. Sometimes a gun shot alerts them and other times nothing. Sometimes they can see/shoot you through walls other times they can't. And the cops are made of wet paper and go down so quickly. But I love the style of this game. There is experience to be earn and you can upgrade the cops with more health/speed/power and ammo. So I might try to grind out some early levels and retry that mansion level again. Sad that there is no online coop. I don't like saying this, but I might have been playing the game wrong. Not sure if they want to be slow and planning or guns blazing. Guns blazing was not working for me. :) I'll keep at it and stream some later when my little one has a nap. Hopefully I won't suck so much.

EDIT: OK, I've fully upgraded 2 cops now. It's much much easier to take down baddies. Now I'm getting in the swing of things. Going to stream some later so I can redeem myself. :)

RedStep

Picked up LA Cops, buying it the same week I got Hotline Miami 2 was mistake. Thoughts:

- It's like a cheap HM, but is slow and you get stuck on walls, and get shot by off-screen enemies even more. Aiming without the lock-on is practically useless. Definitely no zipping around racking up combos here.

- UI is terrible, as mentioned. Selecting cops is rough, they give you a bunch but who in their right mind wouldn't just upgrade 2 and use those exclusively? The others have minor stat differences in the beginning but that's it.

- Objectives so far are really boring (on mission 6 of 8, I believe). Go in, kill/arrest everybody, sometimes break machines, go up to next floor and do it again. HM can get by with "kill everybody" because the act of doing it has so many variables and is so fun.

- There are no melee weapons and only "standard" guns (pistol, shotgun, uzi, assault rifle, grenade launcher). No upgrading guns, but you can upgrade the cops' stats (like Clip Size).

- Your cop only takes like 2 shots (on Normal, 1 on Hardcore/Nightmare) to go down. Combine that with offscreen enemies (and no Look button) and you will OFTEN just get killed and have no idea why. On the harder difficulties, most enemies wear vests and take many shots to die. Since if you can shoot them, they can shoot you, it's ridiculously unfair right from the start.

- The Buddy Cop mechanic is unique, but you have to babysit your partner (move here, look here). Sometimes he murders a whole room full of enemies without taking a hit, sometimes he just walks in, stands still, and is killed immediately.

- The enemy AI is just as unpredictable. Several times I've busted through a door and murdered everybody in the room... only to walk forward and get capped by a guy who was just standing and watching the chaos, apparently.

- Movement/navigation is awful. Doors just get in the way (but hilariously explode into bits if you just push up against them for a moment), rotating the screen just makes it worse, your cop is slow to move/aim, etc.

It may sound horrible (I've seen a lot of 3/10 and 4/10 reviews, which feels about right) but there is some enjoyment in running through and killing a floor full of thugs. It's just massively overshadowed by the game it's imitating and not worth $15. I'd recommend a purchase at $5-7 if it's up your alley.

RedStep

LA Cops gets better with upgrades. Streaming again now.
http://www.twitch.tv/z0rbs

Upgrades help with the difficulty, but they don't undo the poor design decisions. Here's an example from the first mission on Nightmare difficulty:

Good Run
I'm able to bait them out and shoot them, which is really the only way to succeed. As you can see with the last guy, their range for hearing is rather short. As you can also see, when I walk through the doorway I won't be able to see him (but he will shoot me regardless). There is no lock-on in this mode, so running in and shooting blindly or baiting are the only ways to get through. When you have 20 enemies on a floor, this is an issue.

Bad Run
Same setup, but trying to shoot instead of bait. The enemies insta-kill you when they see you, even if they're getting shot up at the time. This is ridiculously awful design.

Upgrades help with the difficulty, but they don't undo the poor design decisions. Here's an example from the first mission on Nightmare difficulty:

Good Run:
I'm able to bait them out and shoot them, which is really the only way to succeed. As you can see with the last guy, their range for hearing is rather short. As you can also see, when I walk through the doorway I won't be able to see him (but he will shoot me regardless). There is no lock-on in this mode, so running in and shooting blindly or baiting are the only ways to get through. When you have 20 enemies on a floor, this is an issue.

Bad Run:
Same setup, but trying to shoot instead of bait. The enemies insta-kill you when they see you, even if they're getting shot up at the time. This is ridiculously awful design.

Yes it is terrible, if they not gonna do something about it, especially on higher difficulty settings then playing on Nightmare doesn't make any sense. Completing last level on nightmare would be a bitch. At least let us use auto aim if rest have to stay.

PaulLFC

Final Fantasy seems to cost the same as any other retail game, at least here in the US. And it's a lengthy game with high production values. I'd buy if i I didn't have piles of other games to play right now.
Here in the UK, it's £54.99 ($81) on the Xbox store, which is an absurd price for any digital game, never mind for a remaster - especially when that remaster contains just one game rather than two or three like most other 'HD Collection' remasters. SE being SE, basically.

I still stand with what I said about the LA Cops and no one should really pay more than $5 for it, but after some practice game gets ridiculously easy, even on Nightmare. Just completed Hardcore and Nightmare and barely had to redo any levels.

So to make it short, game is not worth more than $5 and after some practice it's get super easy, even on Nightmare without auto aim.

Took me 2 hours to get everything done, upgraded only 3 Cops, can't do it anymore lol

16619803187_57e898ab97_o.png

I still stand with what I said about the LA Cops and no one should really pay more than $5 for it, but after some practice game gets ridiculously easy, even on Nightmare. Just completed Hardcore and Nightmare and barely had to redo any levels.

So to make it short, game is not worth more than $5 and after some practice it's get super easy, even on Nightmare without auto aim.

Took me 2 hours to get everything done, upgraded only 3 Cops, can't do it anymore lol

16619803187_57e898ab97_o.png

Thanks for this.. I will wait till its on sale or something.

Fox Mulder

I think the difference you will see is that Octodad, and many other titles that have gotten around the clause, are smaller games with new/newish devs. I'm sure MS can understand why a dev would want to focus on one platform for their first game.

Devolver on the other hand is a big enough publisher where they could ship on the same day with Xbox and Playstation if they wanted to, they just choose not to since they have a "relationship" with Playstation. Not saying that I agree with MSs stance if that is it, but I think there's a difference and why you see these smaller studios titles coming later and not studios like Devolver.

This shit is so stupid. If MS didn't have Forza I'd bail on them too.

The gap in consoles sold should really have them thankful for any dev interest. They don't have a 360 domination to back a bullshit policy like this. It's sad to see how they've fallen since the peak of xbla.

PaulLFC

Is this the same Jet Car Stunts that's on PSN? It's cheaper than the PSN version, so I don't know if that means things have been cut, or whether they just priced it differently due to it arriving so much later than the PS3/Vita version.

Speaking of arriving late, they talked about a PS4 version last year which would have been crossbuy, so I bought the PS3/Vita version on sale - and the PS4 version is nowhere to be found. Yet still I'm tempted to buy it again here. Ugh.

Is this the same Jet Car Stunts that's on PSN? It's cheaper than the PSN version, so I don't know if that means things have been cut, or whether they just priced it differently due to it arriving so much later than the PS3/Vita version.

Speaking of arriving late, they talked about a PS4 version last year which would have been crossbuy, so I bought the PS3/Vita version on sale - and the PS4 version is nowhere to be found. Yet still I'm tempted to buy it again here. Ugh.

I played the game for the first time on Xbox One and I think it's great. Couldn't put the controller down until I finished everything.

My Nerves of Steel achievement run:
https://account.xbox.com/de-de/game...man&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

Makes me happy to see jet car stunts come to console, since I never owned a ps3 did this come out on the sony side of the pond before now?

It's a cool game, I own the iOS version and had a great time with it.

Delryk

tinyBuild seems really supportive of XB1 which is nice.

I wonder when we'll get a date for SpeedRunners.

Saw an interview with one of the devs on twtich (GeekandSundry were interviewing people at the Gaming Expo in Texas) and the guy said SpeedRunners only has 1 dev working on it right now for the console version and had no release date/time line....

Top Bottom