• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One June Preview Update - My Real Name is External Storage

Q: Can I store game saves on the external storage device?
A: No. Game saves are automatically stored in the cloud and synced to the Xbox One console.

Aren't saves local too though?

zeron

Banned
Q: Can I store game saves on the external storage device?
A: No. Game saves are automatically stored in the cloud and synced to the Xbox One console.

Aren't saves local too though?

yes, but they probably dont want to take the risk of people editing their save files

yes, but they probably dont want to take the risk of people editing their save files

This. So many people jacked around with transferring saves to increase their achievements that's it's best to just keep one place on the HDD you can't touch and save backups to the cloud.

Also, still no update in WI

Kelsey

Banned
Awesome. How did you find this out?

I'm hoping they continue to improve the stability of the audio through the controller. It's pretty good, but I still get occasional drop outs of sound here and there.

Miss Portia in the beta forums. And yes, it's to address audio issues.

Ran Ran

Courtesy of a Wario RT

BocJSD2CIAAXbQM.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/thelittlemoa/status/470354894202093568

Looks a little better.

Could definitely use some more work though.

Oozer3993

Got the update. I can't try out the external storage because I don't have any USB 3.0 drives. The system gave me an error when I tried an older drive and flash drive. The store looks exactly the same, which is a little odd. System version is 1406 though.

Edit: Huh. I still had the Titanfall Beta
and Alpha
on my hard drive (my laziness precluded me from deleting it), but it has disappeared with this update. I think it's still taking up space, but doesn't show up in My Games and Apps.

Edit 2: Ok, so I quit and restarted My Games and Apps and now they're there. So never mind.

ElRenoRaven

Yup it was the update. Auto Sign in rocks! External storage is set up and a go. So glad too. I only had 137GB left. Now I have that and a TB more.

Still no update for me. They added the ability to "manually update" a while ago, but they still seem to be tightly controlling when you have access to the update. It really doesn't make sense.

It's been hours since the update began rolling out.

Still no update for me. They added the ability to "manually update" a while ago, but they still seem to be tightly controlling when you have access to the update. It really doesn't make sense.

It's been hours since the update began rolling out.

I assume the manual button should be work for the general pop updates pretty much all at the same time, but I think they still specifically roll out the preview builds in waves. Probably just in case something big is wrong with the build, they can pull it before it affects everyone in the preview program.

Still nothing here, Im not sure if Im even in the program to be honest, I did receive the message from MS but Im still not sure, I received it during last update also but received it when it officially came out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I loved the store layout that they showed during the Xbox One reveal. Does anyone remember that? I hope one day we get something similar to that.

External storage is cool, wish you wouldn't need the disc but oh well.

Hmmm, well this is weird, I have a whole library full of games on my X1 that I switch instantly between simply by saying "Xbox go to" and then the name of the game I want to play and I've never had to put a disc in my console.

In fact, I don't even own any discs at all.

Am I doing it wrong?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wonder if installing games to external storage will affect load times and/or streaming textures and such?

If anything it would be faster I think. Isn't USb 3.0 has faster transfer rate than SATA ports these consoles have?

Hawk269

Hmmm, well this is weird, I have a whole library full of games on my X1 that I switch instantly between simply by saying "Xbox go to" and then the name of the game I want to play and I've never had to put a disc in my console.

In fact, I don't even own any discs at all.

Am I doing it wrong?

I am pretty sure the other guy is stating he wishes that his purchased disk based gamed no longer need the disk in the drive. You have your game DIGITAL which do not require the disk. I am not sure if the other user was being serious as it seems pretty odd to think adding HDD external support would not require you to have the disk for disk based games.

Blanquito

If anything it would be faster I think. Isn't USb 3.0 has faster transfer rate than SATA ports these consoles have?

Yeah, that's what it looks like, but as I'm researching this out I see people who say that since sata is specialized for file transfer which makes a difference. But I don't know anything about this so I'm trying to find people and legitimate sources that could make things clear.

Bsigg12

Yeah, that's what it looks like, but as I'm researching this out I see people who say that since sata is specialized for file transfer which makes a difference. But I don't know anything about this so I'm trying to find people and legitimate sources that could make things clear.

Sata II is pretty slow and USB 3.0 is actually faster than Sata II. 5.0 Gbps (USB 3.0) vs 3.0 Gbps (SATA II). I think being able to use a 7200 rpm hard drive in the external will actually be the most beneficial thing as right now the Xbox One uses a 5400 rpm drive internally.

Blanquito

Sata II is pretty slow and USB 3.0 is actually faster than Sata II. 5.0 Gbps (USB 3.0) vs 3.0 Gbps (SATA II). I think being able to use a 7200 rpm hard drive in the external will actually be the most beneficial thing as right now the Xbox One uses a 5400 rpm drive internally.

Yeah, I've seen that it's faster. What I was trying to understand if there are other factors that would impact the performance: for example, I've read that if you use a 7200 rpm HDD that it won't come close to filling the bandwidth of either interface, so it wouldn't matter which drive you install it on.

Another thing I've read is that USB by its nature has to support lots of different devices and uses and therefore isn't as good as SATA at file transfers.

The sad thing is, all the things I've read have just been on forums and not from good, reliable sources, so I'm not sure I believe it.

Anyway, maybe DF can do an in depth analysis of some games off an external HDD to clear things up. That's cool that it will be an option for Xbox soon.

U2NUMB

No update in the Midwest yet (Twin Cities).. Tried power cycle and no go.. time for bed and hopefully we are a go in the Morning.

Happy updating those lucky enough to get it!

Top Bottom