• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Bsigg12

Finally bought some retail games, Dead Rising, Battlefield 4, and Ghosts. Sadly Dead Rising 3 isn't a Day One... Hope I'm not losing any decent DLC.

Combined with my Digital Forza 5 copy, I'm set for a while. Have enough for one more Digital Game, or Killer Instinct and 2 other $20 game... Not sure now.

All you get with the Day One DR3 is 2 outfits for the main characters in the first two games.

operon

Really weird my xbox would not display right with the supplied hdmi cable. Nothing showing except coloured dots. Swapped hdmi cable with my bt vision box worked, update installed now for some setup and gaming

Just saw something hilarious pointed out, when using the bing search via Kinect there is no way to search for a term that includes the word 'Xbox' using Kinect as it assumes your using the voice command instead.

rezn0r

Microsoft congratulated sony on their launch last week, right?

Seeing nothing but "Why settle for this when PS4 is ultimate" on social media right now.

Oh well....

Sony congratulated back on Twitter this morning, I saw it around 8:30am est. I'm sure that was the last bit of nice from either of them though.

Good to hear. I personally hate my DirecTV remote, so I am very much looking forward to the voice commands and new interface. I'll probably even start watching more TV again because of this.

The ultimate test will be when my parents stay with me next, if this works well with them it may be the first remote they don't complain about being too complicated.

im9Zfvb.jpg

About to play cod ghosts?

Lucifon

Am I right in thinking parties have been messed up? Seems they're game specific so you can't do matchmaking in a different game whilst the party is set to another. E.g 3 friends were on cod, I tried to search for a Killer Instinct ranked match, it wanted to change the party game to KI so I said ok, then it said I couldn't search for a match because my party was too large and to leave the party to search. Is that a Killer Instinct specific issue or does it run deeper?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had a glitch going from Blu Ray to TV. TV picture would come up and lost sound. Some bugs need to be worked out. Overall I'm loving it so far. Got the Kinect setup nicely.

ironcreed

Banned
Microsoft congratulated sony on their launch last week, right?

Seeing nothing but "Why settle for this when PS4 is ultimate" on social media right now.

Oh well....

That is funny to me because for a system that is supposed to be not as focused on gaming, it sure as hell has more games I want to play. Make no mistake, I am still excited for the PS4, there are just no games or features that makes me want to get one for awhile. My hype for it just kind of fell flat, while the Xbox One kept winning me over even though I was set firmly against it. Strange how things turned out.

Ive been meaning to try this... but what if you add someone to your favourites?

Obv they disable online notifications because with 2000 friends it could get pretty annoying very quickly

yea i just added a couple people to my favorites, no idea if it will work though

edit: nope, didn't work

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Am I right in thinking parties have been messed up? Seems they're game specific so you can't do matchmaking in a different game whilst the party is set to another. E.g 3 friends were on cod, I tried to search for a Killer Instinct ranked match, it wanted to change the party game to KI so I said ok, then it said I couldn't search for a match because my party was too large and to leave the party to search. Is that a Killer Instinct specific issue or does it run deeper?

There is no lobby in KI yet...

yodandy

Got mine setup, really flawless setup so far. Loving voice controls & TV.

Questions:
1.) Can I control and view my DVR with the OneGuide?
2.) When I say 'Xbox Off' is that putting it in standby mode or all the way off? I'm assuming standby as I was able to say 'Xbox On' after and it came back on.
3.) In whatever mode that it goes into after I say 'Xbox Off', is it still installing games/updating stuff?
4.) Is there a way for me to say something that turns Xbox, TV, Receiver, and Cable box off? Then upon 'Xbox On' it all comes back up? I'm trying to eliminate the comcast or any remotes entirely.
5.) Where is system video player? For my networked/shared .avi files.

Fletcher

Haha. I have the Xbone on while it's installing nba 2k and watching the giantbomb live stream on my computer and brad just said "Xbox go to upload" and it sent my system to upload also.

That has the potential to be bad.

Vio-Lence

Banned
amazon is finally matching the 49.00 xbox one game pricing of walmart. so tax free option is available for people or for price matching for people who pre-ordered at regular price.

ekim

Short summary of my first few hours with the X1:
- setup and day one update went very smooth. I expected XBL to be down during launch day.
- controller feels very good (loving those impulse triggers) although it's a little bit too small for my hands. The 360 controller feels more comfortable for me. (Maybe because I used it for years now)
- Kinect voice control works nearly flawless for me. Every time I turn on the console via voice I have that little grin on my face
- OS is very fast and switching/snapping of apps works without any stutter but there is still a lot of stuff missing and some things feel like a step back. (No list of games only, no data management, store feels dumbed down a bit, Download queue handling)

Games:
Forza 5 - looks and plays wonderful. Was my main reason to get the console. Head tracking feels natural after some fine tuning. Impulse triggers give valuable feedback and actually improve my driving.
Kinect Sports Rivals PreSeason - best looking game I've played today. Kinect steering works well enough for me but my arms did hurt after 3 sessions. :p
Dead Rising 3 - well... It's still downloading. I was able to play the first 20 minutes which were alright. Game is not the best looking but I'm looking forward to the open world.
Killer Instinct - very good tutorial. Not a huge fighting game fan but the few matches I've played were quite fun.
FIFA 14 - only played one match while still downloading (I love that feature). Looked good, played good. It's FIFA alright. (60FPS only during gameplay - close ups feel slower)

rezn0r

amazon is finally matching the 49.00 xbox one game pricing of walmart. so tax free option is available for people or for price matching for people who pre-ordered at regular price.

I know I should probably just contact them but any idea if they will automatically do this? Ordered 2 games the beginning of the week, shipped separately.

Glad to see that BF4 still crashes on XB1. First game that's crashed on me. Was playing 64 player conquest when I suddenly was booted to the dash and the game was closed.

I was thinking about getting Premium but no way I'm doing that until they improve the stability.

Vee_One

Is live slow for anyone else? The update (551megs) downloaded quite fast on my connection but everything else is ridiculously slow. Dead Rising 3 took ages to install (687 meg patch) and Killer Instinct has been downloading for at least 5 hours and at 71%.

Any settings I should be using for the network?

Any tips for improving install time from disc?

malfcn

Thanks Target, $125
Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Assassin's Creed 4, Just Dance 2014 with a 4 pack of Redbull and $10 in Giftcards.

uVtIUL3.jpg

ekim

Is live slow for anyone else? The update (551megs) downloaded quite fast on my connection but everything else is ridiculously slow. Dead Rising 3 took ages to install (687 meg patch) and Killer Instinct has been downloading for at least 5 hours and at 71%.

Any settings I should be using for the network?

Any tips for improving install time from disc?

Hm... Seems fine for me (Germany) - downloading DR3 (19 GB) since 4 hours and it's nearly done. (I have 16 MBit connection)

Mr.Green

Weird. Further investigation needed but the Xbox will only work when connected directly to the TV and not through my AV receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-42).

I only get snow...

nbraun80

Was thinking about going all digital, but couldn't resist $49 games at WalMart. Ha

also in case anyone is wondering, my buddy resurrected his old account that has went back to silver, and he could play on Live and such on my system so the one gold account per system does work. :)

GoDLiKe

Just got mine :) The console is really big, whoa! All in all everything looks premium for me, Kinect is cool and the new controller is perfect.

Just a question - do you guys know if codes are region free? I want to buy FIFA 14 from an european gaffer but my console is Brazilian.
Anyone?

Vio-Lence

Banned
I know I should probably just contact them but any idea if they will automatically do this? Ordered 2 games the beginning of the week, shipped separately.

they should, but it doesnt hurt to contact them via chat. only takes 2 or 3 minutes to resolve successfully.

f0lken

I'll pick up mine later in the night, but does anyone has the updates that MS took down from its page? I don't want to wait for it to update. that time will be better spent downloading KI :D

malfcn

I know my speakers have always been a little noisy, but I am getting more than usual buzzing. Could it be the mess of wires behind my TV or something else?

I just contacted them via chat and they denied multiple times that they would price match walmart on anything other than televisions.

Top Bottom