• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

BizzyBum

Resolution be damned, Ryse looks pretty stunning.

I can't wait to see what these games will look like a few years from now.

Blu10

Finally UPS dropped it off. Took about 5 minutes to update, and the first thing that happened was a friend sent me a party chat invite, and started giving me the play by play of the UI. When I asked him where the download queue was he said he didn't know, so I said xbox download queue, and sure enough there it was. Super intuitive.

Only bad thing was when I went to make my avatar my gamer pic and i got " something horrible happened" for an error message. Working in web design I can say that is not something we'd want to convey to a user.

GavinGT

Banned
Oh man, connecting my PC through HDMI is so awesome. I'm watching the Giant Bomb livestream while playing Forza right now. Nvidia control panel even recognizes my Xbox One and treats it like a monitor.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I saw a menu on the dash of a list of games currently being played online. It wasn't the activity feed. Anyone know what it was?

Showed an amount of people currently playing what game on XBL.

Man, I remember waiting outside of Toys R Us in the cold and snow for my Xbox 360 on launch day. Super bummed I had to miss this one, but I'll be able to afford this thing sometime.

Anyways, super jealous, I want to join the next gen party!

USC-fan

Banned
I think i know why installs take so long on xbone.

It treats disc base install the same as a downloads. You can only do one at a time. So if it downloads a patch it hold the install until its complete.

Unlike ps4 that does everything at the sametime.

Naked Lunch

This year during E3 as soon as I saw Battlefield was 64 players and a launch title, Metal Gear V on all platforms, and the Halo 5 + Titanfall trailers - I preordered my XB1 the next day. Jump forward to today: Finally 64 player Battlefield in the living room. I have been waiting for that ever since BF2 PC. 60 fps is just icing. The game plays like a dream. I played five 30 minute 64 player matches and got disconnected from only 1. I will be playing this game nonstop until BF5 hits. 14 maps at launch and 4 more on the way in a couple weeks. Its overwhelming.

Killer Instinct seems super rad too but I will need some major practice. I used to bust out combos like mad in KI 1 but I couldnt do crap in the new version or the old.

Navigating around the dashboard is going to take some getting used to because it is very different from 360. Im not entirely sure its for the better either. Time will tell. Kinect was working really well for me and I didnt even plan on hooking it up. The controller's bumpers will also take some getting used to especially in Battlefield because you are using every button at all times esp as a jet pilot. I like the 360 controller better but the XB1 is still good.

Crazy how long it takes to get everything up and running - but thats just how console gaming is these days I guess. Took me 2 hours of patching and installing to get into my first game.

Installing Forza 5 now :)
Good gaming times indeed...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oh man, connecting my PC through HDMI is so awesome. I'm watching the Giant Bomb livestream while playing Forza right now. Nvidia control panel even recognizes my Xbox One and treats it like a monitor.

Couldn't you just snap the twitch app?

grendelrt

Just got my XB One and I have some weird ass high pitched noises during the update, theres no disk in the drive so I am guessing its the HDD??? When I play KI it goes silent, but as soon as kill KI I can hear the noise again, it sounds like HDD reading. Its loud enough I can hear it from my couch, can anyone confirm if they have simliar noises?

Loud whine and crackling during update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7wakCWabOo

From KI to Dashboard (11 seconds when I kill KI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGQq7i-vuc

StoOgE

I'm in midtown manhattan and mine came this morning as well which is odd since packages from UPS tend to arrive in the late afternoon for me.

Same. I'm used to stuff showing up right before I get on the train or when I'm on the train headed home. Mine left Philly at like 10PM last night. Amazon Ninjas at work.

Glad it got dropped off earlier so I didn't have to hit refresh all day :p

level44

Finally UPS dropped it off. Took about 5 minutes to update, and the first thing that happened was a friend sent me a party chat invite, and started giving me the play by play of the UI. When I asked him where the download queue was he said he didn't know, so I said xbox download queue, and sure enough there it was. Super intuitive.

Didn't that bring up his download queue as well?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, DR3 is installing pretty fast. It seems like it installs the patch first which is weird, makes it seem like it's stuck at 0 for awhile.

I am however getting atrocious DL speeds for now. Guess I lucked out as the update was fast, but KI has been going for awhile and is only 35%.

Also, how do I switch color for the dashboard tiles?

About to pick up Forza, FIFA, and NFS Rivals. Already got Killer Instinct.

I kinda still want Ryse. A friend described it as Double Dragon with awesome graphics and that kinda appeals to me.

Amir0x

Banned
In the Chrimson Dragon OT the talk about a patch that softens a lot of the grindy mechanics - more XP per mission, more items, more ingame-currency. If you are looking forward to it, keep at it!

Oh that's good to hear. I haven't followed the OT because I didn't want to be spoiled, I want my first Crimson Dragon experience to be virginal whenever I get to playing it, but that's wonderful. I really was getting worried that the move off Kinect and onto XBO removed one hurdle (kinect controls) only to add another (microtransactions for excess grindy gameplay). But this gives me real optimism again.

I cannot stress how anticipated Crimson Dragon was for me. Most anticipated does not even begin to describe how hard I've wanted that game

I got the xbox one and have hooked it up, not sure how i feel about kinect and i will make people upset but it is not needed and feels forced.
Sorry my opinion

KI is great and i won first 4 matches online.

GIGqYXM.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I got the xbox one and have hooked it up, not sure how i feel about kinect and i will make people upset but it is not needed and feels forced.
Sorry my opinion

KI is great and i won first 4 matches online.

GIGqYXM.jpg

Truth is truth. Don't apologize. But damn, so much gaming goodness in such a contained space. Friday was an EPIC game day

Mario 3D World
Zelda
Xbox One and its associated games like Forza 5
Tearaway

Too...much...gaming...goodness

Seville

Still a decent # of consoles that are not reserved at Yonge/Dundas EB games in toronto, the one outside. If anyone wants to pick one up.

The downloaded sizes for the Xbox One game updates are massive. 1.1 GB for Ghost... and now I have to install it as well. Still 0% after a minute, can I play a game like Forza while it installs?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
waiting for forza to install (btw, stuck at 0% now for 5 min???) and voice control has been absolutely flawless as i navigate around the UI. this is some next gen shit. love it

sangreal

Alright, DR3 is installing pretty fast. It seems like it installs the patch first which is weird, makes it seem like it's stuck at 0 for awhile.

I am however getting atrocious DL speeds for now. Guess I lucked out as the update was fast, but KI has been going for awhile and is only 35%.

Also, how do I switch color for the dashboard tiles?

yeah, a lot of people mentioned that it does updates first. weird

click on yourself on the home page and go to my profile->choose color

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn console launches are so exciting. Congrats to everyone who got their consoles. Ignore the noise about faulty consoles, I was paranoid bout my ps4 for the first few days, but it's just in the age of social media everything is overblown.

Computer

When I say Xbox turn off why dose it not shut off my tv or cable box? Any one know if it is made to do this or not? Also is the turn off command putting it into sleep mode or completely off?

Scooping up my XB1 with Forza, DR3 and Madden 25 on my way home from work.

Then next week I'll get Zelda and Super Mario World in the mail and I've already got the PS4 sitting at home on the shelf too

The. Year. Is. Done lol

The downloaded sizes for the Xbox One game updates are massive. 1.1 GB for Ghost... and now I have to install it as well. Still 0% after a minute, can I play a game like Forza while it installs?

Yup, you can play games while other stuff download/installs.

When I say Xbox turn off why dose it not shut off my tv or cable box? Any one know if it is made to do this or not? Also is the turn off command putting it into sleep mode or completely off?

Check in the settings for TV, there's an option for power settings.

ekim

You have to set the right preferences in the settings menu to turn on/off your tv and cable box. You can also decide there whether you want it go into standby or energy saving mode.

StUnNeR H2K

So is the new controller completely infrared? Put in the exactly same place my 360 was and the dang controller wont stay connected, and yes my 360 was out of line of sight...

StoOgE

In all the Snap videos, one piece of content is always really small. Is there a way to snap them evenly?

Nope, it's just the small bar to the side.

I think an even snap with 16:9 content would be a nightmare with letterboxing.

I guess a horizontal 50/50 seperation could work better? Might be a memory issue at that point though.

Top Bottom