• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Just in case anyone is wondering, it doesn't look like you have to hook up kinect at all. I skipped the option to hook it up and tossed in the closest =P

h0J3nwrl.jpg

fucking LOL

So Kinect is working perfectly, and the voice navigation is flawless except one command I can NOT get to work for me.

"Xbox, On."

I've had it work once, when I said it in the stupidest way as a joke (Xbawcks, Oane), so I'm trying to figure out how you need to say it? How long do you have to pause for "Xbox, On?" I normally pause for one second and every command works, Xbox On doesn't though...

Just received via FedEx a copy of Ryse, a limited edition Ryse book (only 200 made), and a pretty cool t-shirt I would definitely wear, but I'm not too certain it would fit, but that's my fault for not specifying my size. :p Sent by the Ryse Team with the signatures of about 13 different members of the team. I was warned about spoilers in the book ahead of time, but I couldn't resist looking through it some since it's going to be awhile before I actually play it.

And, man, let me tell you, this book is really beautiful end to end. Nice, long pages with lots of really fantastic art and details about what their inspiration was for different parts of the game involving story, characters, combat etc. It also looks to have a section for every single level in the game, as well as all MP maps. Visually it really does border on feature film like quality at times based on what I'm looking at in here. In fact, this thing may look even more awesome in book form than it does on screen, which is a feat in itself. Plenty of major story spoilers and such, but they're really making me even more excited for the game. And looks like animation "tells" were truly a big part of their design focus. The idea really is for the player to predict, not react, to what they should be pressing for the various executions based solely on player's carefully reading the main character's various animations or movements. Simply reacting to the color prompts after the fact will never actually earn you a legendary bonus. It seems that's only possible through accurate prediction, or memory if you've encountered an execution a few times already. And maybe I missed it before, but timing, which I always knew played a role in the normal combat, is more important than I expected. I didn't suspect that it made as big a difference in the player's actual combat speed and thus combo chaining capabilities. Essentially, there's a bigger benefit to perfectly timed hits than just entering burning eagle mode and the benefits that come with doing so, and just thinking about applying this timing concept to attacking multiple enemies at once seems like it adds an interesting challenge. Not something that seems to make the game harder, of course, but just a little personal challenge for people that will actually care about wanting to master that aspect of combat.

Just spent about an hour or so pouring through this thing. Did lots of skipping around obviously, since it's 99 pages worth. Spoilers all over, particularly a quite massive (and quite clever) one in the opening pages that I'm stunned I never thought about, but I don't want all the blanks in the story filled in, so I'll probably be holding off on reading up on every little detail till when I can actually have an opportunity to try this game for myself. But this book, as far as collectibles go, is pretty awesome.

Does Forza look good Bruce? I see so many differing opinions but I trust your eyes.

I think it looks fantastic. I get the complaints but the PQ is just so nice on a decent tv. It doesn't look as plastic as some of the other games. The racing is just perfect though and smooth as butter. Frankly none of the launch games on either platform are graphically perfect but Forza is just impressive enough for me.

Just spent about an hour or so pouring through this thing. Did lots of skipping around obviously, since it's 99 pages worth. Spoilers all over, particularly a quite massive (and quite clever) one in the opening pages that I'm stunned I never thought about, but I don't want all the blanks in the story filled in, so I'll probably be holding off on reading up on every little detail till when I can actually have an opportunity to try this game for myself. But this book, as far as collectibles go, is pretty awesome.

You can download a pdf of that book via the smartglass app. I agree it's a lovely piece of work.

Feep

Banned
I don't have a box yet, but can I get some general impressions of the voice command accuracy levels? As I'm developing a voice controlled title, this is of some fair interest to me. >.>

sangreal

So Kinect is working perfectly, and the voice navigation is flawless except one command I can NOT get to work for me.

"Xbox, On."

I've had it work once, when I said it in the stupidest way as a joke (Xbawcks, Oane), so I'm trying to figure out how you need to say it? How long do you have to pause for "Xbox, On?" I normally pause for one second and every command works, Xbox On doesn't though...

You're in an "Xbox, On" country, right?

I think it looks fantastic. I get the complaints but the PQ is just so nice on a decent tv. It doesn't look as plastic as some of the other games. The racing is just perfect though and smooth as butter. Frankly none of the launch games on either platform are graphically perfect but Forza is just impressive enough for me.

Just worried my 1080i Bravia won't show the great IQ.

Computer

I notice that when Cable TV is playing voice commands don't work well over the tv audio. I hope they update the mic gain or something.

Lee

Where is that tutorial mode for KI? I am mashing, lol.

Coupons son.
Pre-ordered Ryse, DR3 and AC4.
Those each came with $5 cards. Then AC4 also had a deal where you bought Redbull and got $10.
And I had 2 of those 30% off coupons.

Damn. I knew I should have tried for more of the 30% off coupons.

FrankT

Guys this is the first year line up for the X1:

D4
Project Spark
Below
Titanfall
Sunset Overdrive
Max: Curse of Brotherhood
Halo
Forza Horizon 2 (I'm certain it will be out next year)
Plants Vs Zombies

And possibly Quantum Break.

Best first year line up ever?

Oh I think it's going to be a very strong year.

Just waiting on UPS at this point. They always come late to my house though.

RdN

Guys, I need some help.

I bought 2 Xbox Ones, one for my living room and another for the basement. I want to go all digital, but I don't know how this system works.

Is it the same as the 360, where the content was available to every user on the console that it was originally downloaded and available in any other console only when I'm signed in with the account that bought it? Or did they change it?

Thanks!

sangreal

Guys, I need some help.

I bought 2 Xbox Ones, one for my living room and another for the basement. I want to go all digital, but I don't know how this system works.

Is it the same as the 360, where the content was available to every user on the console that it was originally downloaded and available in any other console only when I'm signed in with the account that bought it? Or did they change it?

Thanks!

similar, but not exactly the same. instead of it being tied to the console you purchase on, you set a "home console" and everyone on that console can use your content/gold sub. you can still access your content from any console as long as you're signed in

rjcc

Ryse looks pretty frickin good, 900p or now.

Forza looks good too, it certainly looks ever pixel of 1080p, I'm not noticing jaggies and it doesn't drop frames when I spin the camera around.

Mayyhem

Uh oh, my friends Xbox One suddenly wont turn on at all anymore...

It worries me because mine is working perfectly fine with no issues, but so was his up until this random occurrence.

edit: but what are the chances right? right!?

RdN

similar, but not exactly the same. instead of it being tied to the console you purchase on, you set a "home console" and everyone on that console can use your content/gold sub. you can still access your content from any console as long as you're signed in

Hm, so I can;t alternate which console I buy content, right? I have to buy everything on the console that I designate as the "Home Console"?

sangreal

Hm, so I can;t alternate which console I buy content, right? I have to buy everything on the console that I designate as the "Home Console"?

no, that's how it was on 360. on xb1, everything you buy is tied to your home console instead of the console you buy it on

if you buy on another console, you'll have to be signed in to use it on that console but you can go back to your home console and use the content offline

RdN

no, that's how it was on 360. on xb1, everything you buy is tied to your home console instead of the console you buy it on

if you buy on another console, you'll have to be signed in to use it on that console but you can go back to your home console and use the content offline

I see.. So just to be sure, the other console, the one that won't be the home console, will always need to have my gamertag signed-in in order to play games, correct?

EDIT: I got it. Thanks very much, sangreal!

Doffen

So the $49 titles are:

Ryse
Forza 5
Dead Rising 3
NBA 2K14
CoD Ghost

missing something?

EDIT: eh wrong thread, but: amazon.com

Top Bottom