• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

The future is here!

iPA2JC4Op0EcJ.JPG

FINALLY!!!

wow...the controller is so damn good, the kinect is smaller than i imagined, and the console is very quiet as of now!

Ecto311

The initial update downloaded over something like 5 min, then the system reset and sat there for what seemed forever. Then once it got going the setup was easy and the Killer Instinct download was quick for 3gb+ but installing forza and downloading the kinect rivals thing are both taking forever.

Did get it setup for the TV usage though and goddamn does it work well. I was thinking the kinect being shot away from the tv or cable box would not work well but both are like magic.

Got the kinect on the entertainment stand for now but have to find out how to mount it and the old kinect on the same shelf in the living room since we still use the old one with the kid.

Yes they did.

Device
Step 1) Plug in your remote
Step 3) www.myharmony.com
Step 4) Add Device
Step 5) Next
Step 6) Microsoft as Manufacturer and Xbox One as Model
Step 7) Done

Activity
Step 1) Click on Activities
Step 2) Add Activity
Step 3) Pick Additional Play A Game
Step 4) Click Next
Step 5) Name it Xbox One
Step 6) Next
Step 7) Select Game Console
Step 8) Next
Step 9) Pick Input you use
Step 10) Next
Step 11) Click Done

Thanks, updated my remote. Can't wait to introduce my Harmony One to my Xbox One. :-D

You should check now to see if yours is defective so you could send it in for repairs if it is

I'm definitely going to do that. I don't have any games yet, but I'll try it out to ensure that I don't have a defective unit.

I was one of the unfortunate ones who wound up with a DOA PS4 (but I'm already back in business, thanks to Amazon).

skc

Banned
Woah, I didn't think it would he nearly that close! Didn't XB1 launch in way more countries than PS4?

Yes, but it's surprising nonetheless because the PS4 has probably sold some 1.5 million consoles already and is 100 bucks cheaper.

Bodes well for the XBox One's attach rate then.

sangreal

btw, since there was a lot of confusion about this from the press... while "xbox, record that" only captures the last 30 seconds, you can save the full last 5 minutes by opening gamedvr and choosing "end clip now". some people were saying you can only save the next 5 minutes, which is wrong

the "tips and tricks" video was useful for something...

I will receive my One tommorow. Can I redeem my points that I bought over here ( Holland ) to buy games on the UK-store? Switching my locaole to UK btw.

IRQ

Banned
Hey
Did any of you found out how to make the controller always invert as standard?

I did that on my 360 so every game I put was inverted without me having to go to the game menu to do it every time.

ekim

btw, since there was a lot of confusion about this from the press... while "xbox, record that" only captures the last 30 seconds, you can save the full last 5 minutes by opening gamedvr and choosing "end clip now". some people were saying you can only save the next 5 minutes, which is wrong

the "tips and tricks" video was useful for something...

Where can I find that video.

Victrix

*beard*
After bootup it went to a screen with the controller and pulsing 'push A' indicator - not doing anything. Am I supposed to just sit here or is it stuck?

edit: Holding the dashboard X changed it to 'turn on your controller' flashing the X button. Turned it back on, back to the A button, A button not registering.

edit: restarting the system didn't work either. Waited to turn on controller till it asked, then pressed A. Heard the A 'beep' sound acknowledgment, then nothing. Continues to sit on the A button screen.

I can't install any disc based games. What the fuck. It just sits at zero percent. I even tried installing them offline and nothing. Is my consol dead or will there be a patch for this?

Fiddled around with mine last night. UI feels slick and powerful, esp. with Kinect shortcuts, which worked very well for me. Didn't see any games I felt compelled to buy.

Where are:
- demos?
- DLNA support? (I used my ipad as a bridge to play to the xbox, but I can just do that to the tv directly)
- Browse all games?

The power on/off stuff seems good, except it can't turn my receiver on and off. Haven't figured out how to tell it what receiver I have, or if this is even actually possible/working.

Media services (amazon, netflix, vudu, etc.) seem to work fine, but that's to be expected when all the other devices in my entertainment center, including my TV, already have them as well.

Have not tried Skype yet.

TV integration is pretty cool, worked well with my cable box, even seems to record shows automatically on the DVR while I'm watching so that I can rewind, pause, etc. Too bad I never watch TV outside Netflix etc. except for Archer. It wasn't able to handle muting, though, because my TV's speakers are already off, since the receiver handles everything. Not being able to interact with the receiver seems like a moderately big downside.

Console settings didn't seem to be quite as in-depth as PS4's, although the screen calibration tools and advice are a nice addition for users who have never bothered with such a thing.

There's an option in the settings (I think it's the TV tile in settings) to configure it to work with your receiver

waffledoodle

Neo Member
The initial update downloaded over something like 5 min, then the system reset and sat there for what seemed forever.

While it was sitting there, did it appear to be turned off entirely or were you at a green screen? Mine keeps downloading the update, attempting to restart, and then appearing to just shut off.

Heysoos

One of the things I noticed yesterday watching streams is that a lot of them their voice commands failed, but as I'm trying at it at home, it's damn near flawless. One thing I did notice is that they were often times giving commands wrong. Other times I noticed the Xbox wasn't listening when they were giving commands, so they kept repeating commands but the Xbox wasn't actually is listening mode. You kind of have to give the Kinect a chance to listen to the command and not just blaze through what you're trying to tell it.

ekim

I can't install any disc based games. What the fuck. It just sits at zero percent. I even tried installing them offline and nothing. Is my consol dead or will there be a patch for this?

It is downloading a patch for the game first. It takes a good while.

One of the things I noticed yesterday watching streams is that a lot of them their voice commands failed, but as I'm trying at it at home, it's damn near flawless. One thing I did notice is that they were often times giving commands wrong. Other times I noticed the Xbox wasn't listening when they were giving commands, so they kept repeating commands but the Xbox wasn't actually is listening mode. You kind of have to give the Kinect a chance to listen to the command and not just blaze through what you're trying to tell it.

I've had the same experience, I watched a bunch of videos of people trying to use the voice commands and I assumed they'd barely work when I got to use it myself but so far it's worked over 90% of the time for me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
First person to answer the following question gets a free mystery game code.

Q: What creature is has its glands milked for the Baron Harkonnen's pleasure in David Lynch's masterpiece, Dune?

Woffls

Anyone got HDMI pass-through working on their 360? Saying it's not getting a signal when I switch to TV... dunno if that's the bit I'm supposed to use anyway? Only thing I can think of is that I had my 360 outputting over optical and have not change it to HDMI so maybe Xbone won't pass-through if there's no audio signal?? Hmph. I wanna play PGR3.

[edit] My HDMI cable unplugged itself.... :( working now.... yo dawg i heard you like xbox live so we put live in your live so you can live while you live

ParityBit

So under the display and sound setting there is color depth, what should that be? It defaults to 24 bits per pixel .... Should this be adjusted?

Excellent UI. Voice controls working at about 90% for my DirectTV so far.

Install times are ass compared to my PS4. They just are. But everything else is very nice.

Top Bottom