• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I feel like an idiot, but how do you enter standby mode?

Make sure it's turned on in Power inside of Settings (should say Instant-On I believe). After that, just turn it off by either:
1) Power button on console
2) Holding guide button for like 4 seconds and a power options menu should appear
3) With voice: "Xbox Turn Off"

Sydle

Faulty drive here. : (

TV features are slick. No issues whatsoever navigating around with Kinect commands, but I had grown accustomed to its finicky ways on the 360.

Everything else seems to be working fine.

Downloading KI now. May just go digital with Forza, Dead Rising, and Ryse as well.

zou

Received the console earlier today and haven't had any major issues so far. UI is great and I can barely hear the fans.

But I haven't had much luck with my controllers. With the included one the bumpers rattle and the bottom doesn't connect evenly and wobbles. The additional one I bought doesn't have those issues, but unfortunately the two shells don't line up properly and the top one sticks out and the edge is rather sharp. Oh and yeah, the bumpers suck. Everything else is an improvement over the 360 controller though.

Hoping Amazon will be able to replace just the controller, not interested in sending back the whole console.

mrdark

Banned
I can't post threads, so if someone wants to turn this into one I wouldn't be opposed to it:

Has anyone tried getting a computer with Windows Media Center to work with the TV functions of the Xbox One? I'm still really disappointed that they stripped it out and after some of the launch problems I'm not entirely sure I don't want to just return it and wait until Titanfall/Halo/Sunset Overdrive, etc.

I don't know if there is a way to get it to work with an IR blaster, or if anyone else has fiddled with it now that they're out in the open. One thing I know for sure is that I'm not going to pay the cable company 20 dollars a month to rent a crappy DVR

Edit: I didn't specify, but I meant by connected the computer that has Media Center to the XBO with an HDMI cable. I assume there isn't any way to get it to work with just the TV tuner over a network, and even if it does you probably wouldn't have a guide.

Make sure it's turned on in Power inside of Settings (should say Instant-On I believe). After that, just turn it off by either:
1) Power button on console
2) Holding guide button for like 4 seconds and a power options menu should appear
3) With voice: "Xbox Turn Off"
Thanks. That's what settings I have. How do you know it's in standby? On PS4 the lights change color.

turtle553

My UPS guy comes between 4 and 5 every single day. Of course when I have two consoles coming with one promised to someone else it is at least two hours left.

Why today of all days even after I left work early?

Woffls

WAY too much lag on the HDMI pass through. PGR3 unplayable :( Yes I'm playing a 360 launch game on my Xbone.

Is there an active downloads area?
Only been able to find it by initiating a new download :s OS is a bit of a maze at the moment...

sangreal

I feel like an idiot, but how do you enter standby mode?

I had the opposite problem -- I wanted to move my xbox but couldn't figure out how to turn it off (PS4 has warnings about unplugging it in standby wihle downloading so I was concerned).

I ended up just disabling the standby mode and turning it off to move it

All active downloads, I mean.

I started to download Killer Instinct and then I lost track of it...

yeah, that's where you go to see active downloads. they're the furthermost to the left

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you guys hear a light hum (fan/electronic noise maybe?) even in standby? I know the PS4 has fans on slightly in standby but I can't tell which it is. The gaming section of my desk now sounds like a turbine.

I had the opposite problem -- I wanted to move my xbox but couldn't figure out how to turn it off (PS4 has warnings about unplugging it in standby wihle downloading so I was concerned).

I ended up just disabling the standby mode and turning it off to move it

yeah, that's where you go to see active downloads. they're the furthermost to the left

Got it. I'm really lost in the menus still, but I haven't fully explored.

Justin

Not that I have found. If you highlight it in games and apps and push the "options" button you can pin it to the dashboard and it will have the progress bar.

I'm a bit confused, if you go into that games and apps menu on the far left you should see all your queued downloads and at the very front of that should be whatever is currently downloading/installing.

Cloudy

Banned
So the issue with my console was the disc drive and not the fan (the sound went away with no disc inside) BB had one to exchange with so we'll see how that goes tonight...

Runekiller

Neo Member
Just finished setting my console up. I went to play Forza and looks like I got the shitty disk drive problem. It clicks and then says it cannot read the disc. Time to get on the phone with microsoft

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't hear my ps4 or my xbox one at all when they're on, let alone standby. I must be going deaf :(

(or it's because of the ac)

I don't find either of them loud, but I'm not playing in a living room type setting where I put 10 feet between me and the devices. They're maybe a yard away on the return portion of my desk.

I have never complained about console noise (even the launch 360, which I took to calling the White Beast), but at least they got quiet when I shut them off. Now I can hear buzz buzz constantly.

edit: And then on second thought....it could be in my head.

LowerLevel

Do you guys hear a light hum (fan/electronic noise maybe?) even in standby? I know the PS4 has fans on slightly in standby but I can't tell which it is. The gaming section of my desk now sounds like a turbine.

No hum here. Hope you don't have an issue coming soon... I got a "tone" while paused on BF4 is all.

Tabris

Anyone know how to get auto-sign in working without turning on a controller?

I want to hit "Watch Cable" on my Harmony remote control, say "Xbox on", say "Watch TV" but be signed into Xbox Live for messages / Skype chats / game invitations / etc.

abracadaver

I dont get notifications when my friends come online ?
To check or compare achievements I have to leave the game ?!

Everything seems slower and more complicated than on the 360

Cloudy

Banned

Take the game out of the xb1 and see if it goes away. That's what I had and I'm getting it swapped tonight

Victrix

*beard*
After bootup it went to a screen with the controller and pulsing 'push A' indicator - not doing anything. Am I supposed to just sit here or is it stuck?

edit: Holding the dashboard X changed it to 'turn on your controller' flashing the X button. Turned it back on, back to the A button, A button not registering.

edit: restarting the system didn't work either. Waited to turn on controller till it asked, then pressed A. Heard the A 'beep' sound acknowledgment, then nothing. Continues to sit on the A button screen.

Worked on my third reboot. That was not a nice opening experience :(

Anyone know how to get auto-sign in working without turning on a controller?

I want to hit "Watch Cable" on my Harmony remote control, say "Xbox on", say "Watch TV" but be signed into Xbox Live for messages / Skype chats / game invitations / etc.

Doesn't the Kinect just recognize you with its camera?

zou

Damn this is amazing. I was watching a show, paused and left the room to for a few minutes. I come back and see the screen has been dimmed. I'm about to grab the controller but as I walk over Kinect turns the screen back on for me. Between this, auto-sign in and scanning codes/coupons, I'm starting to see the value in Kinect.

Never had Kinect before, its invisible ray beams freak me out!

20131122_172850-MOTION.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this is amazing. I was watching a show, paused and left the room to for a few minutes. I come back and see the screen has been dimmed. I'm about to grab the controller but as I walk over Kinect turns the screen back on for me. Between this, auto-sign in and scanning codes/coupons, I'm starting to see the value in Kinect.

I loved zipping through my codes with Kinect. So easy!

Had a near-death experience when I just turned on the Xbox One and got sound but no video over HDMI. Apparently there's an issue with the cable not seating well, some expert jiggling fixed it.

Update it progressing really fast, well done MS on that one.

I do think it's kind of ridiculous that they didn't include any kind of mount or design the base in such a way that it would be easy to put this thing on top of a standard flatscreen TV. I ordered the PDP mount but in the meantime you guys would not believe the monstrosity of cardboard and duct tape this thing is currently sitting on.

One of the things I noticed yesterday watching streams is that a lot of them their voice commands failed, but as I'm trying at it at home, it's damn near flawless. One thing I did notice is that they were often times giving commands wrong. Other times I noticed the Xbox wasn't listening when they were giving commands, so they kept repeating commands but the Xbox wasn't actually is listening mode. You kind of have to give the Kinect a chance to listen to the command and not just blaze through what you're trying to tell it.

The only thing I've had a problem with is it not recognizing "Skype" and instead launching Skydrive.

Top Bottom