• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Quick question...

I bought 2K last night at best buy for 60...

Where are the video game deals like the buy two get one free deal at target last week? Anywhere?

Thanks guys

GreyWind

I have a question. Currently I have my Xbox One connected to my computer monitor via HDMI but the only problem is the sound. Now, I was considering getting some gaming headset only for the gaming sound, I don't really care about chat. I was wondering if it was possible to use the Ear Force X12 just to get my sound.

Got everything set up quickly, but man is the start up not very user friendly. No loading/progress bars, just sits on the Xbox one screen for 5 minutes when you first power it on. I was freaked out at first thinking it was defective.

Sean

Banned
I'm getting constantly disconnected from the network and it's really irritating me. I'd say about 10-15 disconnects so far in the hour that I've been playing with it (mostly in the OS and downloading apps/games). If I do the internet connection test it'll sign me back in but this is annoying.

Have an 802.11n Airport Extreme (2008 I think?) router. Detailed network statistics say 18.10 Mbps download speed, 35.70 Mbps Upload speed, 0% download packet loss, 0% upload packet loss, 1480 MTU, 96 ms Latency, 87% wireless strength. That seems okay to me?

Not sure if my Xbox is defective or if it's my network or what.

Tabris

It's 4pm PST / 7pm EST on Friday night on the first launch day Sean. Of course you are going to have issues connecting to XB Live.

General consensus after using it for the past 5 hours or so:

-User friendliness is fairly medium/low. It's easy to pick up the basic commands, but some things take awhile to figure out.
-Install times are on the high end. At least for Ryse, it took quite some time to actually get in.
-Ryse is better than what the reviews would lead you to believe. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, despite it being "simple". Kotaku had it right on it being a good buy. Maybe not at the price it's retailing for normally, but at a lower price . . . definitely.
-The overall functionality of the Xbox One is mind blowing. I'm really excited to introduce my wife to it tonight, and get her profile setup. The more I discover, the more I'm amazed.
-The inevitable PS4 comparison: Xbox One is winning my personal console war. With the PS4, I felt like I discovered everything within minutes and ran out of cool new things to discover. With the Xbox One, I keep figuring out new things and being amazed. Truly innovative.

So, would I recommend a purchase? Hell yes!

P.S. No issues with mine yet, except when I tried to sync my controller up. I apparently hit the buttons too quick, and it didn't like that and froze. After that, I took my time through the menus and read everything on each page . . . not on hiccup. Mine came from Amazon, Day One edition.

Is anyone else having trouble turning on the Xbox with Kinect? Pretty much every command works perfectly except for "xbox on".
I was having this issue earlier. I was saying "Xbox" waiting a second then saying "on". Didn't work once. Started saying it nearly as one word, or with a very short pause, and it works every time. Though worth noting when I had this problem and posted about it, the guy who replied to me said the complete opposite to what I've just said.

Anybody know if there is a way to turn off the automatic clip saving? It saves clips for the most useless crap.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Got home with my loot.

83xvX26.jpg

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Wow these cases are garbage. First they have a terrible disc release mechanism... then they're so flimsy that two out of three game cases from the Microsoft Store actually have cracks. I may not have noticed them but the Day One edition insert is shiny and so I investigated a couple of minor blemishes... and sure enough, big cracks behind them. Grr...

Oozer3993

I've been stuck on the same damn thing in Killer Instinct's training mode for 2 hours. The mode is very, very poorly done. It throws everything at you way too quickly.

ironcreed

Banned
General consensus after using it for the past 5 hours or so:

-User friendliness is fairly medium/low. It's easy to pick up the basic commands, but some things take awhile to figure out.
-Install times are on the high end. At least for Ryse, it took quite some time to actually get in.
-Ryse is better than what the reviews would lead you to believe. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, despite it being "simple". Kotaku had it right on it being a good buy. Maybe not at the price it's retailing for normally, but at a lower price . . . definitely.
-The overall functionality of the Xbox One is mind blowing. I'm really excited to introduce my wife to it tonight, and get her profile setup. The more I discover, the more I'm amazed.
-The inevitable PS4 comparison: Xbox One is winning my personal console war. With the PS4, I felt like I discovered everything within minutes and ran out of cool new things to discover. With the Xbox One, I keep figuring out new things and being amazed. Truly innovative.

So, would I recommend a purchase? Hell yes!

P.S. No issues with mine yet, except when I tried to sync my controller up. I apparently hit the buttons too quick, and it didn't like that and froze. After that, I took my time through the menus and read everything on each page . . . not on hiccup. Mine came from Amazon, Day One edition.

Very nice impressions. Loving everything I'm hearing.

Controller feels great, but I now know what people mean with the bumpers being harder to press now. Wish they were more like the 360's bumpers.

hmmmmmmmmm still kinda bothered and :/ at the hums I hear when I play games , such a disappointment at this flaw in my system .

unless anyone else has the slight buzz noise sound /install sound for like 5 seconds , it happens randomly which is dumb. longest one was 15 seconds.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow these cases are garbage. First they have a terrible disc release mechanism... then they're so flimsy that two out of three game cases from the Microsoft Store actually have cracks. I may not have noticed them but the Day One edition insert is shiny and so I investigated a couple of minor blemishes... and sure enough, big cracks behind them. Grr...

Glad I am going to continue my transition into full digital once I get one. I pretty much have already for the most part this past gen. With external hard drive support coming, I'll be set

AmyS

Um I just tried it, but the game crashed back to the home screen. Still having issues it seems.

Interesting.

BF4 was working really well today on PS4 with lots of people all over the large Conquest maps, that I could see both on the map and on-screen within a match.

However, now PSN is down.

I had my PC hooked up to the Xbox earlier -- it's normally straight to the tv. At first it worked fine. The desktop was extended as usual and I could mouse from the monitor to the TV. Later on when I went back, the mouse was bounded to the monitor even though the setting was still set to extended. Not sure why it done that, I assume it's the PC, but it was a bit annoying. Going to look at it again later.

The brushed surface on the controller is pretty cheap. Getting the back battery cover open there are about four scratches on it already.

Other than that the build of the console and Kinect seem solid. The Kinect is heavy, but it seems one push away from toppling off the TV.

Top Bottom