• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Alcander

Damn, the controller feels SO GOOD. I get what people are saying about the bumpers, though, if your fingers are completely flat against them they can get tough to actually push down... will probably have to relearn my finger placement for those.

Otherwise, though, it feels amazing. The build quality of the controller is off the charts.

NeoUltima

Freaking scalpers. Work in retail and everyone buying the Xbox this morning, sans a few, were scalpers. No games, no accessories. Just consoles (which kill my store's numbers). They all even did tax exemption for "resale" purposes. That shit really pissed me off. I hope they get fucked for tax fraud, all ~7 of them 'worked' for the same company. I'm not even one who gets made at the occasional scalper (people gotta make money somehow), but this was just shameless.

Vee_One

I had the same problem, my piece of crap HDMI cable I've had plugged into my 360 for years wasn't working right with the new console.

haha yeah - I still don't regret paying $5 for it though.

In other news - any good impressions of Ghosts or BF4? I have both on PC but they are both buggy as hell and the other is a Ghosts Town (badoom tish)

Sean

Banned
It's 4pm PST / 7pm EST on Friday night on the first launch day Sean. Of course you are going to have issues connecting to XB Live.

Well I haven't really seen anybody else complaining about frequent network disconnects (though I've only quickly scanned the thread) and 10-15 in a row seems rather excessive. Hopefully it's an XBL day one load issue like you say and not some kind of hardware issue with my console.

TheZink

Received the console earlier today and haven't had any major issues so far. UI is great and I can barely hear the fans.

But I haven't had much luck with my controllers. With the included one the bumpers rattle and the bottom doesn't connect evenly and wobbles. The additional one I bought doesn't have those issues, but unfortunately the two shells don't line up properly and the top one sticks out and the edge is rather sharp. Oh and yeah, the bumpers suck. Everything else is an improvement over the 360 controller though.

Hoping Amazon will be able to replace just the controller, not interested in sending back the whole console.
My day one edition controller is messed up also. The bottom left side has a gap and wobbled. Also the left thumbstick has a problem. Amazon is sending me a new one for free so that's good

Feep

Banned
Asked this earlier in the thread, got no response:

How's the accuracy on the voice recognition? ("Xbox, On" notwithstanding, since the low-power mode may affect the CPU) Is it notably better than Kinect 1.0? Does it feel natural?

Miles X

How's the accuracy on the voice recognition? ("Xbox, On" notwithstanding, since the low-power mode may affect the CPU) Is it notably better than Kinect 1.0? Does it feel natural?

As long as you say what you're suppose to, it has worked flawlessly for me.

Just literally walked into my living too, Xbox On, light came on. So far it hasn't missed me saying it, sure it will one day but I have done it a few times now since last night.
Also still blows my mind, grabbing your window with your hands, each side and minimising it. Minority report style.

I haven't used it in any games but using it to get around the UI and to control my cable box has been really good as in it works about 90% of the time for me. I'd say it doesn't feel as natural as Google Now or Siri do but it doesn't really feel awkward either. I can change channels, mute/umute, lower/raise the volume, launch apps and snap/unsnap things without really thinking about how to say it.

EvB

Not possible. Only way to stream music and video for now is using the Play To feature built into W8/8.1.

Incorrect, there are other ways of using this DLNA feature besides just W8.

I've been streaming music from my iphone to my Xbox One today.

Klocker

My experience with voice so far has been amazing. Loving this

Loving the quick swap between games states too ...

Note... search the settings menus lots of features to be set too...also i had to change out two of my hdmi cables to get full connection between all devices

nikos

Does anyone know if it's possible to mix or switch between audio when playing a game and watching TV simultaneously?

Moa

drM1Q9j.png

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/404050270532825088

Prophezz

Banned
Can't wait to get an Xbox One when there's more in stock (I don't like hunting for systems lol). First thing's first, gotta get my little cousin(s) a Wii. Poor little guy bought Sim City for the PC but couldn't play it because of some issue with that EA Origin program. Tried helping him over the phone but to no avail. Sucks because he lives pretty far from me other wise I would help him install it (he's only 10 and his pops isn't too saavy with video games, let alone Origin). So hopefully he and his little sister will enjoy the Wii for the holidays.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This damn console is amazing. I programmed my tv with it so now when I say xbox on or off, it turns the tv on or off with it, awesome. And I've been giving all my love to Killer Instinct, haven't even played Dead Rising 3 because I'm not going to stop playing muahahahah!

Alcander

Ok so the voice commands actually work pretty freaking great, and it honestly feels futuristic or something saying a command and having it work instantly... pretty fucking awesome. I am the type of person who generally hates voice commands too.

Gripe: half the time I don't know how to phrase the command properly for it to work. They need to get in like multiple variations of the same command which do the same thing. Same for game/app names. I kept saying "amazon prime" rather than "amazon instant video" and it wouldn't work -_-

Did anyone else have a problem with getting picture but no sound on the cable box passthrough? I'm wondering if the Xbox just doesn't like my cable box (Xfinity X1)

Satchel

Banned
Anyone figure out how to in pin a Crackle movie? Can unpin the app, but not a movie from it.
Makos, the Day One controllers are definitely made differently from the standard ones. The standard ones are actually better.

German voice recognition is literally perfect for me. Hand recognition had one or two times where it jumped to the tile directly next to it but otherwise it's been good so far.
Now they only need separate settings for game language and Kinect language. German VOs are garbage.

Top Bottom