• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Doffen

I don't think that's always true. I've heard some stories of Amazon overnighting someone a new console, etc

I'm not sure about US, but here in Norway it's very simple and easy to contact Microsoft for replacement discs, accessories or hardware if you need it.
And retailers always say that you should go to Microsoft directly since they are the only one who do certified service on Microsoft products.

Special C

So does Xbox off put it in standby? Because when I do that and turn it back on my game is not where it left off. It returns to the start screen.

nikos

Did anybody try FIght Sticks on retails Xbox One yet? We know they worked on the demo stations.

EDIT: 360 sticks, I mean.

Just tried my MadCatz Sanrio stick and it didn't even light up. I have an Eightarc that I could try later, but it probably won't work.

aperman

Neo Member
anyone else's digital installs taking forever? i've had Forza installing at a rate of roughly 10%/hour. I have a 30mbps download speed and am attached with an ethernet chord.

-Stranger-

Enjoying my Xbox One alot, been playing Forza 5 & Battlefield 4.
However there is a few bugs I'm experiencing.
I can't use voice commands at all now, though it did work just after midnight when I got it then just stopped.

I can't view my achievements, friends or console settings in the UI.
It's difficult to quit games back to the dash as the home button on the controller won't work.

It's strange as I could access these things just after midnight, the next day nothing. ....

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just tried my MadCatz Sanrio stick and it didn't even light up. I have an Eightarc that I could try later, but it probably won't work.
Markman already said the only reason sticks worked on the demo units were because they were dev units that supported those things.

I thought it was pretty clear no xbox 360 accessories will be working on this thing. I'll have to mod my vshg or something.

Just as I expected, despite preordering in September, mine just went to shipping today, and the estimate arrival date is December 3rd...

I'm never preordering anything related to gaming on a retail store again. If I didn't paid already for the god damn console I could just walk up to a store and get it...

Rsinart

Got everything hooked up and ready to go. First impressions are how slow it feels. Tried the TV features and running directv through the xbox takes forever to change channels. For being a main selling point for them I expected it to work a lot better. Its so bad the wife already said the xbox isn't staying in our living room. Bummed, know its only the first day, but that along with the extremely long d/l and loading times is a turn off, kinda regretting my purchase. Hope it gets better over the next few weeks. Otherwise I may just sell it off and wait a year or two.

golem

Fucking UPS claimed that they attempted to deliver my Xbox already but I was here the whole fucking time. No knock on the door, no SMS text or anything. Dog didn't even bark all day. I was sitting here playing SSF4 when these fuckers said that they arrived almost an hour ago!

4a4u.jpg

And WTF? They usually just knock on the door and leave whatever the fuck I ordered right there.

Fucking so mad right now. No I won't be OK!

Go pick it up at the distribution center

it stays pinned, but in the "my games and apps" screen it goes all the way to the end with a cloud icon; prompts you to redownload it if you try to run it

I uninstalled Killer Instinct to test (since it's a small download)

When the game is uninstalled is the game tile darkened or the same as if it was installed?

Oozer3993

It doesn't work using the Kinect IR blaster?

I hadn't tried. I skipped the TV setup because I don't have a cable box. I just plug the cable straight into my TV. I just set it up, and by golly it works! Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone know if there is a good review of the console settings etc. Really looking at an in-depth look on the video/sound/blu-ray settings.

Does it bitstream over HDMI? (DTS Master-HD, Dolby TrueHD.)
Blu-Ray play-back, OSD..
Video settings, reference levels/resolution/white/black levels..

How in depth are all these?
Also what sound format are games in? Dolby Digital and/or DTS?

I popped in a Blu-ray for a little bit today to test out the function. It was very smooth and fast. I can't speak too much to the fidelity of the picture since I'm just using a cheap VIZIO, but it looked great to me. The controls overlay was on the bottom third of the screen and was much more attractive than the similar display on either the PS3 or PS4 (the two OSDs are extremely similar). I don't think I can help with any of your audio questions since I just use my TV speakers.

Moldiver

So my unit arrived today and well have a look...

DSC03432_zps75f9bcf7.jpg

DSC03427_zps15e6bedd.jpg

8E6D66D0-9933-4C42-A0BD-3B6B8844F83E_zpsoicqiiby.jpg

The last one lookes like it's unfinished as the 'waves' are a total different colour to the rest of the back plastic

Alcander

By the way, using Rdio through IE 10 while browsing the OS is awesome. Not sure about spotify but I imagine that works well too. Not quite a native app, but gets the job done at the moment. Awesome.

thesnowman

Neo Member
Got everything hooked up and ready to go. First impressions are how slow it feels. Tried the TV features and running directv through the xbox takes forever to change channels. For being a main selling point for them I expected it to work a lot better. Its so bad the wife already said the xbox isn't staying in our living room. Bummed, know its only the first day, but that along with the extremely long d/l and loading times is a turn off, kinda regretting my purchase. Hope it gets better over the next few weeks. Otherwise I may just sell it off and wait a year or two.

I found it a bit slow at first, but in about 30 mins it seemed to understand me better and was a lot faster.

Loiselle

Yes they did.

Device
Step 1) Plug in your remote
Step 3) www.myharmony.com
Step 4) Add Device
Step 5) Next
Step 6) Microsoft as Manufacturer and Xbox One as Model
Step 7) Done

Activity
Step 1) Click on Activities
Step 2) Add Activity
Step 3) Pick Additional Play A Game
Step 4) Click Next
Step 5) Name it Xbox One
Step 6) Next
Step 7) Select Game Console
Step 8) Next
Step 9) Pick Input you use
Step 10) Next
Step 11) Click Done

Mine is now set up for use! With one change... the remote will not do anything to the Xbox One in regards to its power state. It can control on menu level, for Blu-rays and the like.... but when it comes to turning on the activity, switching, or shutting down, the Harmony One will not do anything in terms of power. That's all still under voice control! I love my Harmony One remote!

nStruct

Neo Member
Getting really slow download speeds right now. The system update downloaded fast, as did the media apps, but KI is moving at snails pace.

EDIT: Speeds got better

sangreal

Do you mind posting a pic of it uninstalled. One pic of the games and apps section with KI uninstalled and then click KI and see what options are available.

uninstall.png

sorry, didn't see your edit with more details but I can take those later when my gf is off the tv

When the game is uninstalled is the game tile darkened or the same as if it was installed?

darkened, but again only in my games and apps. there is no indicator that its uninstalled in the pinned section

xkramz

Voice commands have worked 100% for me so far! As long as it's only one person give it commands. It really is easier to navigste by voice. Best way to use voice is Xbox (pause) command. Do not say everything together.

Hawk269

God using the voice commands to quickly jump around the OS is SO satisfying. I really am pumped about it right now.

Same here. Not sure what the issues some of the reviewers were having when they were filming having issues with Kinect understanding, it has been pretty much flawless for me and my fiancée. Only issues are when we try to tell it something that it does not understand, once I say it properly it is flawless. While watching TV, it has some issues recognizing certain channel names, outside of that, for Xbox Menu's etc, Kinect has been very good...and it is just going to get better as they update it.

malfcn

Catching up on the thread.

Ryse had a lock up where it was stuck, and would reload that point. I restarted the chapter and it has been fine since then.
Being able to transition between things is awesome. Paused Ryse, watched some Hulu and then went right back to the game.

Also, those impulse triggers are weird. I had to do a line in Ryse with firing Pila and the thing little buzzed and felt like it was going to jump out of my hand. So far the dpad is meh, and the rumble feels way different.

Dat 900p is impressive.

sangreal

Very important, is X1 able to play local media from a USB stick?

I have not tried, but when I looked through xbox video to see if you can stream from a PC (which it says you can in the description) I found absolutely no options for anything other than videos on xbox video service (I know you can use playto though)

in short, I doubt it

The sales thread is hilarious- its so easy to see through people's bullshit in that thread.

It's breaking people's hearts that the $100 more expensive and "underpowered" machine is off to a strong start.

Bgamer90

Banned
The sales thread is hilarious- its so easy to see through people's bullshit in that thread.

It's breaking people's hearts that the $100 more expensive and "underpowered" machine is off to a strong start.

The amount of salt is overwhelming.

It's funny since the same people probably would have said that it was "impossible" for the system to sell more than 1 Mil in all territories just a few days ago.

Just sad all around.

R3TRODYCE

It LOOKS great...but the game is VERY frustrating. They stripped out some basic things that I expected and the menu systems is just so horrible. The game is broken on many levels and has been annoying.

But it is pretty.

Say waaaaht? I don't see it man(Except the menus are shitty)

Top Bottom