• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Question...does the console have suspend save active yet or is that coming later? Like can I shut it off and then resume it without going through the other screens?

sangreal

Question...does the console have suspend save active yet or is that coming later? Like can I shut it off and then resume it without going through the other screens?

there is a beta setting that lets you suspend games when you shut down. you still have to open the game from the homescreen though

hwy_61

Banned
Happy to report no disc munching!!

This was officially the first thing I booted up on Xbox One

1mib8Mi.jpg

omgkitty

So something I noticed, which I'm sure has been posted, but if your cable box is a piece of shit, it's still a piece of shit when used with the Xbox. My cable box has IR issues and won't always accept what you're inputting into it. Seeing as how I guess the Xbox just sends out a signal to change the channel, my box frequently misses a number or two and ends up changing it to the wrong channel :(

Well, I'm actually loving Ryse. Glad I didn't let the reviews talk me out of buying it. Yeah, it's definitely on the repetitive side but at least I'm having fun. Oh, and the game is absolutely gorgeous. Between this and the PS4 I'd say this is at the top of my "Next-Gen looking" list with Killzone and NBA 2k14 close behind.

I'm a little disappointed with Forza 5's graphics oddly. Still enjoying that game.

Killer Instinct is fun but it needs a patch to put it in 1080p. If Ryse can do what it is doing at 900p, I think KI can do better than 720p.

Haven't even touched Dead Rising 3 yet.

Cels

i have some questions about the xbone's tv functionality.

how well does it work with your TV dvr? could you use kinect voice commands to tell the xbox to watch the walking dead episode that you recorded last week? can you tell it to jump to minute 25 of the recording? can you tell the xbox one to tell your DVR to record a show at a certain time via voice command? (e.g. "xbox, record the next new episode of mad men")

can you ask your xbone to search for live basketball games via voice command and then switch to one of the results?

suppose it's sunday and you know the broncos are playing, but you don't know which channel. can you ask the xbox to switch to the broncos game?

ttate90303

Neo Member
All setup, patched up, and installing COD. Very smooth so far. No update issues, disc munching or any weirdness. Enjoy and good luck to all. Enjoy your new console.

Moldiver

I'm sure I came across a video of someone going over the system and they mentioned some setting that was pretty well hidden, not sure if it was to do with voice or not. It's annoying knowing I can't find it.

This UI and game update system is an absolute mess. I went to play ryse and had to install it. The I was told to install an update I hadn't yet downloaded....and now I'm "installing" the disc one more damn time and am stuck at 0%. Goddamn this is a mess.

Chitown B

Can you explain? Should I increase this option?

This system is amazing

if your TV has 36-bit color, then turn it on. When I bought mine back in 2007 there weren't many that had it - mine's Pioneer Kuro. However maybe more/all have it now? Just increases the colors that it displays.

So far, have purchased:

Forza
BF4
AC4
KI: Ultra Edition

also grabbed Fitness, and a ton of apps.

Lima

Man Forza is good. It looked like shit back at Gamescom but that was probably because of those crappy LG TV's. Games looks stunning on my VT60.

Vestal

Hey gaf. anyone having issues being able to Play Kinect Sports rivals? it keeps telling me that Kinect needs a clean game space or something to that effect.

Panthers

BF4 crashed back to dashboard 4 times straight on me.

This was an issue on the PF4 for about a week. I am not having as many issues now, and they finally have the 64 Player servers up for Conquest. Just laggy right now.

Still BF4 is BY FAR my favorite launch game, at least online. Playing single player is meaningless with data corruption

Chitown B

I don't know how Kinect is for you guys but it has worked 99% of the time for me. Really loving this so far.

same here, 99%. Seems like it doesn't like the word Achievements - takes me to My Friends.

Otherwise, I can't believe how it took zero learning curve to understand me.

Dukey

Banned
I don't know how Kinect is for you guys but it has worked 99% of the time for me. Really loving this so far.

My neighbor has been using his all day. I went over there for an hour recently and was surprised how accurate it was for him. He was controlling everything except games with his voice and it looked fluid and second nature to him already. Made me wonder what the heck was wrong with the journalists in the live feeds.

jbug617

Banned
Just finished setting up. The green screen after the update freaked me out a little. The Kinect voice control worked pretty well but I didn't do much with it. Also put a blank cd into the drive to see if I had a problem and that went fine. Downloading KI now and probably play some DR3 later on.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Up and running. The UI is a revelation and the controller is as awesome as noted. I have ape hands and haven't had any issues with bumpers, etc. Only app I really messed with was Skype and it was slick. The zoom and pan from the Kinect is sorcery.

Currently playing Ryse and having a grand old time. Not only is it an absolute visual marvel, but the gameplay is pretty much what I was hoping for: fast and heavy and challenging (I started on the highest difficulty). I confess I'm a cheap date when it comes to brawlers, but the tech and spectacle combined with the weighty, chunky bad-assness that is the combat leaves me more than satisfied. (Cashing in on that Wal-Mart deal makes it even easier to appreciate).

Timan

Developer
Damn xbox's voice will not work with mine... but it sure did love to accept everything that was said on the giantbomb stream lol.

I hate how Microsoft advertises this thing as some instant on always ready all in one entertainment box yet the netflix player on it sucks (I noticed what I was watching was very jerky like it wasn't loading the scenes properly) compared to PS4 and unlike PS4 it doesn't load your profile instanty when it comes on there is a delay. There are also reports that the bluray player sucks on it for watching movies. What were they thinking when they were advertising this thing as a better media system than playstation yet all the offerings are inferior??? Come on guys

Your telling me they didnt have one QA person look into this before the system went into production?

mozfan12

Banned
I'm digging some parts of the UI but it has a learning curve. Some stuff that was easy on the 360 is either hard to find or takes more steps. I'm getting a hang of it but it's definitely not as streamlined as the PS4.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really happy with it so far. Aside from a faulty HDMI cable and a borked Dpad on my controller the Xbox is pretty cool, especially the kinect stuff. BF4 is still shitting the bed but Ryse is pretty awesome.

Justin

I just came back from my once every two year trip to game stop and I want to go on the record as the first person to be pitched a trade in on the Xbox One. I was trading in the copy of the PS4 version of Battlefield I got free from the Amazon buy two get one sale for a copy of the Xbox version because my friend are jerks and lied to me about what game they were getting. All three cashiers mentioned to me multiple times that they preferred the PS4 (I didn't ask their opinion) and made sure to mention I could trade in my Xbox One.

BTW if you are wondering you can head down to your local gamestop and trade in your Xbox One for $300.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How do I turn my TV off when I say "Xbox Turn Off"? I heard this was possible.

Top Bottom