• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

sangreal

Same here. Not sure what the issues some of the reviewers were having when they were filming having issues with Kinect understanding, it has been pretty much flawless for me and my fiancée. Only issues are when we try to tell it something that it does not understand, once I say it properly it is flawless. While watching TV, it has some issues recognizing certain channel names, outside of that, for Xbox Menu's etc, Kinect has been very good...and it is just going to get better as they update it.

It is painfully obvious from the launch streams that none of them bothered to learn how to use it. It's not entirely there fault though, they probably expected a 2013 experience using natural language instead of predefined commands ala a 2005 cell phone.

I don't mean this to bash the kinect voice recognition or anything -- It has been flawless for me too, it's just very limited compared to things like siri, google now, or even kinect 360

Um, is it just me or is the power brick making noise? Mine's louder than the console itself...

I can't hear mine (again, probably deaf) but it does have a fan inside

The sales thread is hilarious- its so easy to see through people's bullshit in that thread.

It's breaking people's hearts that the $100 more expensive and "underpowered" machine is off to a strong start.

I stopped reading it...can't believe people are this hung up as if their own self worth was reflected in their chosen console outselling the competition by 15%...

I was one of the people that was terrified of the ass-storm and much weaker hardware. Now that it's here, the games are amazing...console works for the most part flawlessly, servers are fully operational...I love it...I hope the PS4 guys are enjoying their console as much as I am...I really do...I don't get the salt.

Sobriquet

For those with a play and charge kit: does the yellow light ever change to green? It seems like mine's been plugged in for hours and I have no idea if it's charged. Any way to check the charge?

Dukey

Banned
The sales thread is hilarious- its so easy to see through people's bullshit in that thread.

It's breaking people's hearts that the $100 more expensive and "underpowered" machine is off to a strong start.

Is that the thread where the same few people are proclaiming with joy over and over that Xbox One isn't sold out?

For a console without native streaming yet, there sure are a ton of Xbox One games being streamed at the moment. I love it.

uninstall.png

sorry, didn't see your edit with more details but I can take those later when my gf is off the tv

darkened, but again only in my games and apps. there is no indicator that its uninstalled in the pinned section

Thanks.

The amount of salt is overwhelming.

It's funny since the same people probably would have said that it was "impossible" for the system to sell more than 1 Mil in all territories just a few days ago.

Just sad all around.

People thinking MS wouldn't do a million were never going to be right. MS launched in their strongest territories and 11 more countries then Sony, there was no way they'd do less than a million unless something went catastrophically wrong.

Voice controls in NFS: Rivals are blowing my mind right now.

The game added a quick GPS menu in the top left corner, similar to GTA V's, but navigating it can be costly when you are running from cops and need to get to your hideout ASAP.

"GPS. Hideout"

MIND BLOWN.

The amount of salt is overwhelming.

It's funny since the same people probably would have said that it was "impossible" for the system to sell more than 1 Mil in all territories just a few days ago.

Just sad all around.

Yep...wish someone could explain to me why it's so important that your chosen console win the sales war...do they really thin that if PS4 sells 80mil and XOne 60mil that somehow programmers will ignore the 60mil?

I don't get it...

ParityBit

Is that the thread where the same few people are proclaiming with joy over and over that Xbox One isn't sold out?

For a console without native streaming yet, there sure are a ton of Xbox One games being streamed at the moment. I love it.

Yep! Talking about selling in North America and the world and etc etc etc.

KillGore

Weird...I could've sworn I managed to control the volume with Kinect but doesn't seem to work anymore? I also don't see it on the command list. Maybe I've gone crazy.

Oozer3993

So I just downloaded the Netflix and YouTube apps and when I opened them, I was already signed in. That was kind of freaky. I'm guessing since I already signed into both on the 360, the activation just carried over with my Live account.

Ramirez

So uh, Battlefield is installing from a disc, and after 5 minutes, it's only at 1%? Is this normal?

nvm, jumped to 100% right after I posted, weird.

Alcander

So I just downloaded the Netflix and YouTube apps and when I opened them, I was already signed in. That was kind of freaky. I'm guessing since I already signed into both on the 360, the activation just carried over with my Live account.

Yeah it auto-signed me into netflix, which honestly was awesome, since I have no idea what my login info for that is anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned

Same happened for me with Hulu Plus. And yeah, I guess they carried things over from the Xbox 360.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Hey guys hoping someone can help im at work so cant check much.... two of my friends bought cod and dead rising 3 and cant seem to work out how to play together, does anyone know how?

jem0208

Voice controls in NFS: Rivals are blowing my mind right now.

The game added a quick GPS menu in the top left corner, similar to GTA V's, but navigating it can be costly when you are running from cops and need to get to your hideout ASAP.

"GPS. Hideout"

MIND BLOWN.

That's pretty awesome.

xkramz

Can anyone confirm if it's true that once you put your Xbox one controller down. It turns off automatically to save batt. I'm assuming this work because Kinect see that you Sony have the ccontroller on your hands?

Redshirt

Banned
anyone else's digital installs taking forever? i've had Forza installing at a rate of roughly 10%/hour. I have a 30mbps download speed and am attached with an ethernet chord.

No. I have a similar connection speed and have had no issues maxing it out.

Ramirez

Can anyone confirm if it's true that once you put your Xbox one controller down. It turns off automatically to save batt. I'm assuming this work because Kinect see that you Sony have the ccontroller on your hands?

Mine's laying on the ground right now and it's still on.

U2NUMB

Say waaaaht? I don't see it man(Except the menus are shitty)

Ok for me there are 2 things I like in previous NBA 2k games.

1) My Player.. I have sat on that Park black court for what seems like ages and I have yet to get into a game. A friend of mine got past it and could not in any way figure out how to skip to his next sub in a game. He was very frustrated.

2) In the past I enjoy creating a couple players and then placing them on a roster and play multiple seasons with my created team. Up until now (and I have looked and looked) I have not found a way to do this.

So because of those 2 things I am pretty frustrated.

jem0208

Yes, it goes into a low power state.

Also why did you slip Sony into this post...?

sangreal

I dont know if it does some kind of power saving, but it certainly doesnt turn off (light stays on, doesn't need to be turned back on)

I know this was claimed in the press lately, but I don't think its even in a low power state. all the buttons respond without it being in your hand

LTWheels

From what I heard it doesn't turn it off, but puts it in a low power state.

R3TRODYCE

Ok for me there are 2 things I like in previous NBA 2k games.

1) My Player.. I have sat on that Park black court for what seems like ages and I have yet to get into a game. A friend of mine got past it and could not in any way figure out how to skip to his next sub in a game. He was very frustrated.

2) In the past I enjoy creating a couple players and then placing them on a roster and play multiple seasons with my created team. Up until now (and I have looked and looked) I have not found a way to do this.

So because of those 2 things I am pretty frustrated.

Number one has me worried.

popeutlal

I have not tried, but when I looked through xbox video to see if you can stream from a PC (which it says you can in the description) I found absolutely no options for anything other than videos on xbox video service (I know you can use playto though)

in short, I doubt it
If you try it out, please post the results here... make sure to quote me so I can actually find the post. Thanks.

Um, is it just me or is the power brick making noise? Mine's louder than the console itself...

There's a fan inside it.

From what I have gathered you need to go to Settings > Power options and set it to "Low power" (or something to that effect). Otherwise, when you shut off your XB1, it goes into standby mode and draws 10watts, keeping the fan in the stupid powerbrick on...

Starting Dead Rising 3 right now... the game actually looks pretty nice, graphically. Wish more of my friends jumped on the Xbox One at launch, so I'd have someone to play Co-Op with.

If you don't have Kinect plugged in, you need to manually sign your profile in EACH TIME you turn on the system. At least, as far as I can tell...Some BS, imo...Can we submit bugs to Microsoft?

golem

Mine's running well but the fan makes a fair amount of noise.. probably going to complain about it somewhere down the line.

ended up picking one of these up today. totally unplanned. so far it's been a challenging process. the firmware update took forever. installing disc games is taking forever. installing their respective patches is taking forever. kind of took the excitement out it.

anyway, not sure what i think so far. i'm kind of bummed that hitting the xbox button doesn't bring up the mini-menu anymore. seems like more steps to get anywhere with the controller (friends list, messages, etc...). you're def better off using the kinect voice commands which i haven't had any problems with at all. it will be interesting to see how i feel about the machine after i've used it for a week or so.

i also have a ps4 with a bunch of games, so i only picked up dead rising 3 and ryse. my brother (we're roommates) decided he wanted to get cod: ghosts for it. i'm looking forward to checking both of the games i got out.

as an aside, where do i go to view my current downloads? i can't find it anywhere...

edit: also, how long is it taking for people to be able to play a disc game after starting an install? it's taking at least 20 mins before it tells me it's "ready to play"

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Hey guys hoping someone can help im at work so cant check much.... two of my friends bought cod and dead rising 3 and cant seem to work out how to play together, does anyone know how?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
sticks on the controller are too small, my left thumb keeps slipping, anyone else?

BlindRage

You can choose. One option allows you to free roam, another has a time limit.

Ah, at least they realized we wanted the opportunity to do whatever we wanted and to explore on our own.

I picked that and ryse up today, I couldn't find a day one edition of dr3 at any targets (wanted to use the 30% off coupon)

So I got,
Madden
FIFA
Ryse
DR3
Cod
& I'll be trading up bf4 once I get to rank 25 on 360.

Haven't played the last gen versions of AC4 or Lego marvel, might grab them with another target coupon

Top Bottom