• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Special C

Guys I think my fan may be messed up. Its not very loud but I can always hear it making a noise that does sound quite natural? So far no issues on 12 hours of gaming.

Edit: just noticed its a bit louder when playing a game rather than being on dash.

Dukey

Banned
wow; I just got a chance to try Forza. I'm not the biggest Forza fan, the last one I bought was 2 or 3 but damn. That intro, those impulse triggers (wish they had real force feedback though), the visuals. Everything seems fantastic so far

I tried and failed to notice the 2d crowds

Do people look at crowds in racing games? Lemme guess, this was a complaint people that never intended to buy an Xbox One lobbed at the game pre-release?

Keep those videos coming, guys. I'm a couple more Killer Instinct videos away from buying a One.

KI is crazy fun. And as someone who has always been barely above a button masher the dojo is a revelation. I've never realized the degree to which fighting game tutorials suck before. I mean I'm still awful, but at least I know what I should be doing now.

Karram

So my Xone was working fine with my satellite reciever till I restarted the Xone, then it just stopped sending commands. I entered the reciever's model and still it can't control the reciever. Any help ?

PS I hope MS adds support to the Pioneer VSX1123

Cru

If you have a Pioneer receiver and having issues enable the surround sound beta and try the Direct setting on the receiver. I switched it to Pure Direct and started having issues this morning.

golem

Guys I think my fan may be messed up. Its not very loud but I can always hear it making a noise that does sound quite natural? So far no issues on 12 hours of gaming.

Edit: just noticed its a bit louder when playing a game rather than being on dash.

I have the same problem.. just requested an exchange with Amazon, should be here monday.

Redshirt

Banned
Anyone having problems with KSR, make sure that Kinect can see from the tip of your head to your feet. Kinect 2.0 in general isn't picky, but KSR is.

There's a fan inside it.

From what I have gathered you need to go to Settings > Power options and set it to "Low power" (or something to that effect). Otherwise, when you shut off your XB1, it goes into standby mode and draws 10watts, keeping the fan in the stupid powerbrick on...
That fixed it, thanks! Only downfall is you lose standby mode and auto-updates if you enable energy saving mode.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Got my day one edition today, bought KI, Forza, Ryse and COD. Love The OS but the graphics are a step back compared to my PS4 a little sad to see the difference on day 1

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Updating my Xbox One - it gave me a scare when I first plugged it in and it wasn't turning on. I unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in and it worked. I'm assuming that I didn't have the power supply actually connected. There wasn't any light or anything on the power supply when I first tried to turn my Xbox One on, but the second time a light appeared.

Lima

So is there no longer a system setting that will automatically invert controls in all games?

No. They got rid of all that stuff from the 360. No system setting for vibration anymore either etc.

I'm sure it will be back though soon through updates.

Anyone tried disconnecting their kinect to see what happens?

There's a message in the upper right of the dash where the Xbox logo usually is that just says "Kinect disconnected".

Updating my Xbox One - it gave me a scare when I first plugged it in and it wasn't turning on. I unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in and it worked. I'm assuming that I didn't have the power supply actually connected. There wasn't any light or anything on the power supply when I first tried to turn my Xbox One on, but the second time a light appeared.

Glad it's working. FYI, when it's updating it will stay on the green xbox screen for like 5 minutes. Don't restart it!

I need some help with the process of changing a gamertag. If I change it, what happens to the old gamertag? I noticed that there is an option to set a gamertag via the profile screen, does that mean I can change it for free?

Unity2012

Not here. The controller is a freaking dream!

I don't know how Kinect is for you guys but it has worked 99% of the time for me. Really loving this so far.

The triggers pull so smooth.

Agree with all of the above!

Settting it up was a breeze. If one takes the time to go thru the help, how-to-videos and settings, everything works great.

So far I've tried, AC4--which looks great BTW. I played just a little bit of the X360 version and I am impressed at the quality on the X1. I also tried a bit of KI--insanely fun, and RYSE...
...and yes, even after the low reviews, the brutal negativity around it, and aware of it's existing design flaws or shorts I may say; I am Loving the game. It is not just Gorgeous but it brings something different. After the last generation's focus on FPS and war games, It feels kind of refreshing to fight Barbarians during the fall of Rome around a whole different backdrop; even if only with a sword, shield and a few perks.

I hope everyone is enjoying the experience! and that those who encounter issues find a solution to them and join the fun!

It can only get better from here. I have Faith that all developers will come out with great Ideas to maximize the potential of these machines (including the PS4 of course).

EDIT: Using the Smart Glass App was also great during the setting process and finding my way around the game's controlers, map, etc., I highly reccomend it.

Have fun everyone.

Lima

I need some help with the process of changing a gamertag. If I change it, what happens to the old gamertag? I noticed that there is an option to set a gamertag via the profile screen, does that mean I can change it for free?

No it costs 10$.

The old name will then be made available again in 24-48 hours.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Glad it's working. FYI, when it's updating it will stay on the green xbox screen for like 5 minutes. Don't restart it!

Thanks for this tip! When I first started it, it stayed on the green screen for a minute or so and it's on the green screen now (after the update). I'm just glad that's normal! I wouldn't dare turn it off, but I'm sure this will help some people avoid doing that regardless.

jeremy1456

Holy crap. I have a PS4 and my Xbox One just came in the mail not too long ago.

I expected to hate the Kinect functionality, but actually, it works extremely well. After messing with it in excess of 15 minutes it never missed a single command.

Also, the size of the system is GAF hyperbole at best. I cleared off a huge section of my entertainment center for the thing and after doing so realized I can still fit my Wii U (or PS4) there with absolutely no problems. At least four inches on all sides for the air vents. WTF?

I haven't yet had a 'wow omg this is a new generation' moment with my PS4, but with the Xbox One it was definitely the Kinect commands.

Lima

Does anyone know if the disk in the console is continuously spinning while you play a game that is full installed?

No it will never spin the disc again (well when booting up the console it will) but not even when you start the game like on the 360 for verification. It knows the disc is inside the drive.

my god

if this console just had a better gpu it'd be perfect

the 720p is absolutely god fucking awful though

ugh, goddammit I can't go back to DS4 after experiencing this controller but dat 720p...

BraXzy

Even though I've had a Blu-Ray drive in my PC for over a year, I'd never actually bought a blu-ray movie. So when I picked up a second controller for my X1 from GAME, I spotted the LotR trilogy bluray for £8. It is now my first ever blu-ray movie. Lets see what all the fuss is about.

How long before you can start playing a game when downloading? I could of sworn they said you could play it right away, but that doesn't seem right.

Hawk269

This UI and game update system is an absolute mess. I went to play ryse and had to install it. The I was told to install an update I hadn't yet downloaded....and now I'm "installing" the disc one more damn time and am stuck at 0%. Goddamn this is a mess.

Not a mess, you just don't understand how it works. Basically, whenever you insert a new game disk into the console and you hit the install, it won't install if there is a patch. It will download the patch first, then it will install the data off of the disk.

I just did this with Need for Speed. It had a 374mb or so file to download first, so it sat there saying installing at 0 percent until the patch download. Once it did though, then the install starting to climb like normally.

But I agree, there are something things that need to be improved in the UI to make it more user friendly though.

Alright I'm done with my Xbox One for tonight, I was watching the Lakers game and turned off my receiver, TV and Xbox by saying "Xbox Turn Off" and then a few seconds later "Yes". I know I probably shouldn't be impressed with voice commands in 2013 but I am. This also makes me wonder what environments some reviewers were testing their systems in that led them to conclude that the voice controls don't work very well.

Hawk269

How long before you can start playing a game when downloading? I could of sworn they said you could play it right away, but that doesn't seem right.

It varies from game to game and of course your download speed. I was able to start Ryse about when it was 40% or so, can't remember exactly.

BTW...Ryse is really good. I know the reviews suck, but playing on the 2nd to the highest difficulty level makes it a lot better imho. It is more rewarding when you trigger the slow motion finishing moves. Visually, it is simple breathtaking. I have both consoles and right now I say Ryse is visually the best looking Next Gen game..not saying it is the best, but visually the best.

all of them

the 720p titles have very obvious graininess/blurriness

Ghosts, KI, BF4...all look god awful

2k14 looks so clean in comparison at 1080p

To be fair, I had a TON of fun playing all the above games, enjoying BF4 a LOT more than I did on PC

Same here, FIFA being 1080p looked good but BF4 was absolutely hideous in multiplayer. I also had to turn sharpness on my TV way down because the filter they use is nuts.

RoKKeR

It varies from game to game and of course your download speed. I was able to start Ryse about when it was 40% or so, can't remember exactly.

BTW...Ryse is really good. I know the reviews suck, but playing on the 2nd to the highest difficulty level makes it a lot better imho. It is more rewarding when you trigger the slow motion finishing moves. Visually, it is simple breathtaking. I have both consoles and right now I say Ryse is visually the best looking Next Gen game..not saying it is the best, but visually the best.
Good to hear about Ryse. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Just landed, headed home to see my fam and my Xbox One. Very exciting.

Dead

well not really...yet
There's a fan inside it.

From what I have gathered you need to go to Settings > Power options and set it to "Low power" (or something to that effect). Otherwise, when you shut off your XB1, it goes into standby mode and draws 10watts, keeping the fan in the stupid powerbrick on...
Hmmm, this fixed my issue.

So basically if I want to be able to turn on my Xbox with voice the power supply will stay on at all times drawing power and making noise?

Does anyone elses power supply make an audible noise?

Xone9

Banned
love the family features on this console..

got my wife and daughter setup, and added them to the family feature..

Battlefield 4 keeps crashing though!!!! ARGH

all of them

the 720p titles have very obvious graininess/blurriness

Ghosts, KI, BF4...all look god awful

2k14 looks so clean in comparison at 1080p

To be fair, I had a TON of fun playing all the above games, enjoying BF4 a LOT more than I did on PC

Forza looks extremely horrible after watching videos people have uploaded of gameplay =\

Top Bottom