• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

It varies from game to game and of course your download speed. I was able to start Ryse about when it was 40% or so, can't remember exactly.

BTW...Ryse is really good. I know the reviews suck, but playing on the 2nd to the highest difficulty level makes it a lot better imho. It is more rewarding when you trigger the slow motion finishing moves. Visually, it is simple breathtaking. I have both consoles and right now I say Ryse is visually the best looking Next Gen game..not saying it is the best, but visually the best.

Good to know, I bought NBA 2K14 and installed it, is there anyway to not have to keep putting the disc inside, or is that just when you purchase through the online store?

Hawk269

Alright I'm done with my Xbox One for tonight, I was watching the Lakers game and turned off my receiver, TV and Xbox by saying "Xbox Turn Off" and then a few seconds later "Yes". I know I probably shouldn't be impressed with voice commands in 2013 but I am. This also makes me wonder what environments some reviewers were testing their systems in that led them to conclude that the voice controls don't work very well.

Yeah, me and my fiancée are really digging the system and the voice/facial recognition. I made her a profile and she left the room. I said "Xbox Turn Off" and it shut down all my equipment. Then she came in the room and said "Xbox On", it turned everything on and loaded her profile. I then simply walked into the room, sat on the sofa and it visually picked me up and said "Hello Hawk26".

We then were trying to figure out how to switch profiles with voice and could not for the life of us figure it until she said "Xbox Go Home" and because it picked up her voice, it switched it to her profile. When I said "Xbox Go Home", then the home screen reloaded with my color/tiles etc. It is actually, pretty damn impressive that it can do that so easily. We have had no issues with the voice recognition other than it misunderstanding the names of certain TV channels.

Hawk269

Good to know, I bought NBA 2K14 and installed it, is there anyway to not have to keep putting the disc inside, or is that just when you purchase through the online store?

Digital only due to the change of DRM. I wish there was a way to let us still do it. Like a way to "Opt In", but not sure how the logistics of that would work. I have a few Digital titles (Ryse & Dead Rising 3) and it is nice to just switch between the two on the fly.

Yeah, me and my fiancée are really digging the system and the voice/facial recognition. I made her a profile and she left the room. I said "Xbox Turn Off" and it shut down all my equipment. Then she came in the room and said "Xbox On", it turned everything on and loaded her profile. I then simply walked into the room, sat on the sofa and it visually picked me up and said "Hello Hawk26".

We then were trying to figure out how to switch profiles with voice and could not for the life of us figure it until she said "Xbox Go Home" and because it picked up her voice, it switched it to her profile. When I said "Xbox Go Home", then the home screen reloaded with my color/tiles etc. It is actually, pretty damn impressive that it can do that so easily. We have had no issues with the voice recognition other than it misunderstanding the names of certain TV channels.
"Xbox show my stuff" will switch between the given users content on the home screen.

Lima

Similar but not exactly the same. Could just be the way it recorded though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SmlxqYaSWnc

Yeah every Xbox One I heard so far (I heard it on 4 of them myself and 2 of my friends also said they have some kind of noise coming from either the fan or HDD) has this. I can only hear it when I'm putting my ear very close to the system. Nothing at my seating distance though.

So I would go with that this is normal behavior.

Maybe we can get some more impressions from owners here.

Justin

Xbox Fitness trip report!

PTqVREq.jpg

The app is really cool. I had to pay attention to where I was because I kept wandering outside of the kinect's range. Be careful on the basketball move or you might just punch the ceiling really hard.

waffledoodle

Neo Member
Welp, my Xbox is stuck in an endless loop at the initial day one system update. The update downloads, says "the system will now reboot," and then it just shuts off instead. I turn it on, it turns back off. I turn it on, it turns back off again. The third time it turns back on for real and attempts to download the system update again. I have been through this process about twenty times, trying it on different outlets, different TVs, with and without cable in, with and without kinect attached.

I waited for almost two hours in their tech support queue. They told me I'd need a replacement, and sent me to the hardware service request page. The page gives an "an error occurred. try again later."

Fuck this.

Special C

Yeah every Xbox One I heard so far (I heard it on 4 of them myself and 2 of my friends also said they have some kind of noise coming from either the fan or HDD) has this. I can only hear it when I'm putting my ear very close to the system. Nothing at my seating distance though.

So I would go with that this is normal behavior.

Maybe we can get some more impressions from owners here.

I can hear it from across the room.'

Edit: Nosiness depends on what I'm doing. FIFA is quitter than AC4.

Hawk269

I moved my kinect from the table to above the TV and without recalibrating a few times it couldn't hear me anymore

Yeah, whenever you move it, you should re-calibrate it. It does a sound field test and then it knows where your voice should be coming from. Moving from the bottom to the top would throw it off a bit. The calibration is really quick.

BTW..Love the scanning of codes versus keying them in. For something so simple, it is pretty impressive feature.

They have to work on improving load times though. It is all games, so I am sure a future firmware update can improve things. Wonder when the next update will be? PS4 had another update about 5 days or so after launch. I just want them to take what they have and just optimize it, improve Kinects ability to interpret wider range of commands, give me the ability to check battery level on the controller, hard drive space/usage etc and let me use an external hdd!

BraXzy

I hope they create a workable version of their original plans that don't screw us consumers, because damn, if I didn't appreciate physical collections and resale value, I would dive on digital only. Just being able to change games as fast as "Xbox, go to Killer Instinct" but for every game you own would be awesome. Microsoft, find a way to let us play without discs without terrible DRM.

Also, I'm not yet a fan of the way they have done the new party system. You and your friends get into a party pretty easily, but then you have to opt in for voice chat which is dumb. But more importantly, your party replaces traditional pre-game lobbies so to speak. Now instead of having a clear, easy invite player/party button, games with multiplayer aspects now just sort of.. includes your friends if they want to join you. Which in a way is cool because it saves you the trouble but its problematic atm. For whatever reason, because certain games have multiplayer number limits, the party up aspect doesn't work. Say you are in a party of four (to chat) and try to get a game of killer instinct going with one of them, it doesn't seem to work, it fails to invite anyone. I also couldn't do Ryse multiplayer because I was in a party too big. If they fix the bugginess of it, it will probably be a step forward, but god its so weird and annoying not being able to click on a friends GT and just send an invite to their inbox manually. Or a join session in progress, I haven't noticed that either.

Lima

I can hear it from across the room.'

Edit: Nosiness depends on what I'm doing. FIFA is quitter than AC4.

Okay that is not normal then I guess. The noise from the video I posted can only be heard if you are very close to the system. If you move like one meter away from the system I can't hear it even in an otherwise pretty silent room.

Hawk269

"Xbox show my stuff" will switch between the given users content on the home screen.

Thanks man, I thought there was another command. :)

Looking for more friends on my list. Gamertag is Hawk269 and I have the following games:

Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Forza 5
Madden
Battlefield 4
Need for Speed Rivals
Lego
Killer Instinct
Crimson Dragon

Atsumi

Xbox Fitness trip report!

PTqVREq.jpg

The app is really cool. I had to pay attention to where I was because I kept wandering outside of the kinect's range. Be careful on the basketball move or you might just punch the ceiling really hard.

I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. I need to move it into the basement entertainment center to have room. (My room with the other consoles isn't big enough)

Ryse is definitely the best looking game some truly breathtaking moments in it but....It sucks ass. The first hour me and my brother we like "You know what this aint so bad" One hour later its time to trade this trash in. I don't even care to continue just to see the set pieces the game is so boring.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I decided to start a new account and I guess the Xbox One automatically chooses your gamertag for you and then you get one free chance to change it to the gamertag you actually want? I got really scared for a second when it chose a really random gamertag as my gamertag. Xbox 360 did it differently so I was expecting it to be the same.

Alcander

My kinect can't hear me when TV/NFL app etc are playing with people talking :( It can't even hear me say 'xbox'. Tried calibrating too. Bummer.

Lima

So I decided to start a new account and I guess the Xbox One automatically chooses your gamertag for you and then you get one free chance to change it to the gamertag you actually want? I got really scared for a second when it chose a really random gamertag as my gamertag. Xbox 360 did it differently so I was expecting it to be the same.

No the process has been the same on the 360 for quite a while now.

My kinect can't hear me when TV/NFL app etc are playing with people talking :( It can't even hear me say 'xbox'. Tried calibrating too. Bummer.

How far back are you? It had trouble hearing me at first but we moved Kinect forward more on the entertainment center and it seemed to fix it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
No the process has been the same on the 360 for quite a while now.

Oh, so it chooses a gamertag at random when you create one on the 360 and then you just change it? Interesting. I haven't created a new gamertag in a while so I'm new at this all over again. Anyway, there's no connection to that old, random gamertag that the system chooses for you, is there? I know when someone changed their old gamertag years ago on the system, there would be some sort of connection to the older name even though your gamertag changed.

FrankT

MitchyD: Xbox One has already sold 1 million units worldwide. 60 million killed in Dead Rising 3. Crazy, man. http://t.co/50APhA2sPJ

Been at all night. Loving that open world Dead Rising.

Flawless experience so far on the box. First day install took minutes. Dead Rising install took far less time than I thought.

Well I should say near flawless. When I snapped in ESPN app a couple of times no sound from the app. Not sure if I needed to make an adjustment.

Day one love.

Thanks man, I thought there was another command. :)

Looking for more friends on my list. Gamertag is Hawk269 and I have the following games:

Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Forza 5
Madden
Battlefield 4
Need for Speed Rivals
Lego
Killer Instinct
Crimson Dragon

Damn son. Can I borrow a game?

brarstar

Neo Member
I must say I didn't think the Kinect Voice thing would be something I used but I got my xbox today and messed around with it and it has worked pretty much flawless for me so far. I love it!

I will say I have a coffee table that I might need to move to play xbox fitness for some certain exercises but for everything else connect works great. I'm really happy with my xbox one so far.

Does Xbox One support cloud saves? Like is all my progress in KI being saved to there cloud servers or is it on the hard drive?? On PS3/4 every game asks you if you want cloud saves or HDD saves but xbox doesn't give me that prompt

Lima

Has anyone seen their box go into a screen saver mode of any kind?

Mine has not nor do I see a setting

Yep. Goes to a near black screen after like 10 minutes.

Does Xbox One support cloud saves? Like is all my progress in KI being saved to there cloud servers or is it on the hard drive??

It does both. Keeps a local copy on the HDD for offline use and automatically syncs it with the cloud. Unlimited storage too. No 512MB limit like on the 360.

Top Bottom