• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

mjc

Sorry if this has been asked...but is there any way to play Killer Instinct ranked matches while you're in a party chat with other players? I get a message saying I can't play ranked if I'm in a party. This makes zero sense and feels like a total step back from last gen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have it installing Forza 5 now...but I want to go to bed. Can I shut the machine off and it will keep installing or should I wait up?

suaveric

There's no way to get the Xbox to change which input is on with my receiver, right? I like being able to tell the Xbox to turn on and it will turn on my whole setup, but if the last thing I was doing was playing Wii U then my receiver is set to a different input. The Xbox doesn't know this though and then I have to manually change it.

Sorry if this has been asked...but is there any way to play Killer Instinct ranked matches while you're in a party chat with other players? I get a message saying I can't play ranked if I'm in a party. This makes zero sense and feels like a total step back from last gen.

Maybe they did that so no one can cheat.

ban

Neo Member
If you're having trouble with your Kinect recalibrate and turn up your tv as loud as it goes. I was having to yell earlier and now I just speak in a normal voice and my Kinect follows my commands.

Special C

So how does the "Home" console thing work. If I get a replacement from Amazon can I make that console my "Home" console? I know all the purchases are tied to your account but Don't I only share gold benefits on one console?

mjc

Maybe they did that so no one can cheat.

I'd believe that but Ryse does the same thing when you try to start a co-op game. That's just two players against the CPU...no cheating is possible there. There has to be an issue with cross communication between players on different titles.

I'd believe that but Ryse does the same thing when you try to start a co-op game. That's just two players against the CPU...no cheating is possible there. There has to be an issue with cross communication between players on different titles.

Possibly, there are various things that are missing in general so i expect them to bring updates soon.

Haklong

Been loving the XBOX One all day but I had a question for some of you. Any of you with the day one edition notice that the down on the d-pad is weird. Sometimes it doesn't respond. My second controllers doesn't have this issue.

RdN

Is there an option where I can shut down the system but it keeps on a low power state and continues downloading? How do I turn it on?

nikos

"XBOX, record that" is the new go-to XBL shit-talk phrase.

Some dude just landed a beastly combo on me in KI and said that. Felt the burn.

Lima

ok so theoretically if I were to format this xbox one and return it and buy one down the road i'll have all my progress still when I redownlad KI right?

Yes if you log in with your gamertag it will retrieve that stuff.

There's no way to get the Xbox to change which input is on with my receiver, right? I like being able to tell the Xbox to turn on and it will turn on my whole setup, but if the last thing I was doing was playing Wii U then my receiver is set to a different input. The Xbox doesn't know this though and then I have to manually change it.

There is a way for it. First obviously it needs to be connected with HDMI to the AV-Receiver. Then you need to turn on HDMI control, CEC whatever in the receiver. Then in the system settings of Xbox One under TV you need to tell the Xbox what kind of receiver you have (full model number, it doesn't support all of them though).

After that it knows which input your One is and will change accordingly. You will then also be able to lower or raise the volume using voice commands. Works extremely well with my Onkyo.

Prologue

So the stereo/hdmi issue wasn't just a rumor then? Is it something that can be fixed through an update or is this a permanent like the wii u?

Also there were rumors that cable looks works through the xbox one, is that true?

Wookieomg

GAF I need your help! I turned on my Xbox One, got past the green screen, and am currently stuck at the screen that has the controller with the pulsing xbox button on it. My controller is turned on, the system is turned on, everything is powered up... But I can't seem to get past this screen no matter what I do. I'm really hoping it's just a simple error on my part, and not something more dire.

Curiously, if I touched the power button on the Xbox One to power down while my controller was powered on, the system would just restart itself. Powering down the controller first, then powering down the system allowed me to do a full shutdown... But even if I start the system with the controller, that screen still appears. I tried syncing the controller to the system as well... But no dice. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious here. ;_;

Ecto311

GAF I need your help! I turned on my Xbox One, got past the green screen, and am currently stuck at the screen that has the controller with the pulsing xbox button on it. My controller is turned on, the system is turned on, everything is powered up... But I can't seem to get past this screen no matter what I do. I'm really hoping it's just a simple error on my part, and not something more dire.

Curiously, if I touched the power button on the Xbox One to power down while my controller was powered on, the system would just restart itself. Powering down the controller first, then powering down the system allowed me to do a full shutdown... But even if I start the system with the controller, that screen still appears. I tried syncing the controller to the system as well... But no dice. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious here. ;_;

Might try aiming the controller at the kinect if you have not done that. I was playing some game with my daughter and had the controller over the side of the couch and it was not doing all the things I needed. Aimed it at the kinect and it worked fine.

Ecto311

Another thing for gaffers showing codes in pictures online or eBay - you can take a pic of it with your phone and lower the brightness of the phone then the kinect will try and read it. Kinda feel bad for people trying to sell codes on ebay and just block out the code numbers but not the block of QR info.

MajorPain

I had that same issue with the extra controller I bought but when I used the one that came with the console it worked fine. Make sure you are using the one that came with the console.

I had that problem too. I sync'd the controller and it seemed to work fine.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
"Just buy digital" isnt really a great option in australia, out of the three games I checked prices on on the aussie marketplace, cod ghosts was $100.20, battlefield was $99.45 and dead rising 3 was $99. Pretty shit when theyre all $79 in store.

Wookieomg

I had that problem too. I sync'd the controller and it seemed to work fine.

What is the proper way to sync the controller to the system? With the Xbox 360, I remember it being very dumby-proof. Just hit one of the sync buttons then the other. I've so far tried to use the sync button on the system first, then the controller's... and visa versa. No luck yet. :/

I had that same issue with the extra controller I bought but when I used the one that came with the console it worked fine. Make sure you are using the one that came with the console.

I'm using the controller that came with the console. Haven't bought a secondary controller yet.

Might try aiming the controller at the kinect if you have not done that. I was playing some game with my daughter and had the controller over the side of the couch and it was not doing all the things I needed. Aimed it at the kinect and it worked fine.

As for the Kinect, is it normal to have three red lights in the center of it? I assumed I wouldn't see the IR lights unless I was taking a picture or something. Really hoping that's not an issue... >_<

Lima

As for the Kinect, is it normal to have three red lights in the center of it? I assumed I wouldn't see the IR lights unless I was taking a picture or something. Really hoping that's not an issue... >_<

Yes that is normal. It is constantly blasting those IR's.

SegaShack

I was looking forward to the system for months, my anticipation couldn't have been more unrealistic. That being said, after just a few hours with the system I am confident in saying that the XB1 has surpassed all my expectations. This is an incredible device and I am really loving it. This thing is a beast and looks great in person.

I have some questions though, when you start Netflix, is there a way to use voice commands to watch a movie/show or can you only start up the program with it? Also, how do you un-snap something without going to the home screen first? Also, what is color depth? What should I have it set to?

I was looking forward to the system for months, my anticipation couldn't have been more unrealistic. That being said, after just a few hours with the system I am confident in saying that the XB1 has surpassed all my expectations. This is an incredible device and I am really loving it. This thing is a beast and looks great in person.

I have some questions though, when you start Netflix, is there a way to use voice commands to watch a movie/show or can you only start up the program with it? Also, how do you un-snap something without going to the home screen first? Also, what is color depth? What should I have it set to?

Only question I can answer is you say "xbox unsnap" it's one of the commands I feel works very consistently.

im finding the voice functionality to be really really good and i have a thick southern accent, but it has always gotten every command on the first try. I am actually quite pleased with this, microsoft have outdone themselves.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

you can use "Xbox Select"

it allows you to navigate the entirety of netflix by voice command

it's awesome, except having to use "Select #" when you're selecting what show you want to watch

when in doubt, Xbox Select.

HoTHiTTeR

To work and home w/o picking up my XBONE. Don't know that $500 for another rig is really worth it after PS4 came out last week. I'm saying that as a 7yr XBL live member w/ LIVE already paid up until 10/2015 on the account and $178 in my "Microsoft Wallet" after the pts to $ conversion... convince me.

ok so theoretically if I were to format this xbox one and return it and buy one down the road i'll have all my progress still when I redownlad KI right?

Yes, or the more common scenario being you go to a friends house and sign in with your profile, you'd be able to access your game saves.

----------------------

DL'ing BF4 right now and it's taking forever. Things being in the queue behind it doesn't slow down my DL at all does it?

Also, party system appears to not work at all.

Razdek

Banned
OK I have ADD, I can't help but snap things to the side when doing something and I'm playing KI while watching Netflix right now.

What is the proper way to sync the controller to the system? With the Xbox 360, I remember it being very dumby-proof. Just hit one of the sync buttons then the other. I've so far tried to use the sync button on the system first, then the controller's... and visa versa. No luck yet. :/

Yeah, I had to hold down the sync button just a little bit longer than what feels right. Did the console one first then the controller.

now the real question is... how many people realize their controllers are doing the same thing? heh :D

Hah! I just looked after you said that, completely took me by surprise, lol.

Is there any way to control the kinect speakers volume during gamplay? I was playing KI just now and some guy started screaming at me that I'm a "button mashing n word" and kept getting louder and louder

After spending a day with the console, I think it's pretty good.

The only major fault I have right now is with the new bumper buttons on the controller. They're terrible. I didn't think much about them until I was playing battlefield and you have to hold one down for the binocs. My finger would constantly hit the inside where they don't register as well, forcing me to awkwardly contort my finger just to find the sweet spot on the ends

SegaShack

Yeah every Xbox One I heard so far (I heard it on 4 of them myself and 2 of my friends also said they have some kind of noise coming from either the fan or HDD) has this. I can only hear it when I'm putting my ear very close to the system. Nothing at my seating distance though.

So I would go with that this is normal behavior.

Maybe we can get some more impressions from owners here.

The fan on mine definitely is making noise, I can only notice it when I am within a foot of the system though. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was slightly worried because I heard how it was supposed to be completely silent and wondered if something was messed up.

Only question I can answer is you say "xbox unsnap" it's one of the commands I feel works very consistently.

Thank you!

you can use "Xbox Select"

it allows you to navigate the entirety of netflix by voice command

it's awesome, except having to use "Select #" when you're selecting what show you want to watch

when in doubt, Xbox Select.

Thank you, this helps a lot. So I can say "Xbox Select Ghost Dad" and it will search for and start Ghost Dad? Very cool. I'm guessing Amazon video would be the same.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone know how well Xbox one is working with Canadian cable providers? I.e. Is Xbox TV working well (the one guide)?

apparently not yet

at least that's what one news outlet said and MS Canada says they will be bringing stuff over soon

you can still watch TV through the xbox, just don't get the fancy guide/channel switching/whatever

Klocker

now the real question is... how many people realize their controllers are doing the same thing? heh :D

So if you set up all of your devices with the correct model numbers and it finds it does it use hdmi or ir blast?

Since I did that my devices respond more quickly

To work and home w/o picking up my XBONE. Don't know that $500 for another rig is really worth it after PS4 came out last week. I'm saying that as a 7yr XBL live member w/ LIVE already paid up until 10/2015 on the account and $178 in my "Microsoft Wallet" after the pts to $ conversion... convince me.

It really depends on what's important to you. I really thought Xbox Live would still be a huge leap ahead of PSN but it doesn't seem like it. The UI isn't a whole lot better either. Voice commands are amazing but how important are they to you as an individual? How important is resolution to you? Do you game on a monitor or large TV and notice little details.

There's a lot of questions you need to ask yourself.

It really depends on what's important to you. I really thought Xbox Live would still be a huge leap ahead of PSN but it doesn't seem like it. The UI isn't a whole lot better either. Voice commands are amazing but how important are they to you as an individual? How important is resolution to you? Do you game on a monitor or large TV and notice little details.

There's a lot of questions you need to ask yourself.
UI is far better .psn is bare bones still.

xkramz

Been loving the XBOX One all day but I had a question for some of you. Any of you with the day one edition notice that the down on the d-pad is weird. Sometimes it doesn't respond. My second controllers doesn't have this issue.

I feel like my day one LB is harder to push in than my RB. Any logic to this?

Top Bottom