• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

U2NUMB

There is just something very cool about checking your activity feed and not only seeing what your friends did all day but viewing the clips of what they did. The key is that games record events on their own... no effort needed.

RoKKeR

Next gen baby!

080.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So does the Xbox One have suspend features or is that coming in later? I had a game of Forza 5 running and decided to power down, but it didn't resume back from where I left off.

This feature is missing on both consoles at launch it seems, I'm disappointed

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is there a way to get my TV and controller to turn on when I say "xbox on"?

I'm trying to figure it all out.

Go to Settings for your TV

Controller is manual as its wireless isn't on when off

Though if you are using wired?

So does the Xbox One have suspend features or is that coming in later? I had a game of Forza 5 running and decided to power down, but it didn't resume back from where I left off.

Its disabled by default

Go to settings and enable it. Its obvious they are still testing it as it says BETA beside it lol

ParityBit

I think it's there but you need to turn it on. It has a BETA tag next to it.

Chitown B

There is just something very cool about checking your activity feed and not only seeing what your friends did all day but viewing the clips of what they did. The key is that games record events on their own... no effort needed.

word. Xbox Snap Activity Feed. bam.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
man the ui is great but i wish you could disable background stuff. so annoying when settings are in the top window, who cares

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I have it installing Forza 5 now...but I want to go to bed. Can I shut the machine off and it will keep installing or should I wait up?

I think if you have it set to be on standby mode for fast wake-up it continues installing, BUT maybe that's just for downloads. Not sure about disc installs.

Klocker

Cant believe they actually pulled this off for launch. Must have been crunching hard.

Can't wait to see how they refine this over the next year. :)

Beant

I purchased madden because my brother really wanted a football game. What a piece of shit, graphics look just like 360.

EA really dropped the ball. Nba live is a joke all around. Madden looks like 360 on ps4 and x1. Battlefield 4 has not been working for a solid week on ps4/pc. Hope they get their act together

ElfArmy177

My controller is losing sync with the console and freezing.. Not the console but like the controller freezes. Anyone else get this error?

This is gonna take some getting used to.

I keep lauching Forza, playing for a bit then going through the different apps, dash and menus and then going "it's gonna take a while" only to click Forza and it pick up exactly where I left off.

I keep trying to trip it up but no luck so far. It goes straight to where I left off without any hiccups.

Going to let BF4 and maybe Ryse download over night. I figured Ryse would be good enough for eye candy. Do wish there was a demo though.

HokieJoe

I think Kinect IR blaster takes care of the turning it on if you receiver does not support the CEC protocol... The problem with hdmi splitters is that the xbone would have to turn each device on, change their inputs accordingly (all of which it can do), and also set up the splitter to the right channel...

Yeah it depends on the HDMI splitter/switch. I change inputs on my HDMI matrix switch via a Xantech IR blaster. Outside of the usual HDMI handshake delay, it works great.

Ugh, I think my Day One console is busted. I was noticing white flickering pixels all over dark screens and often it seems to have trouble sending a picture to the screen despite hearing audio. Normally I'd just swap at Amazon but how does this work with a Day One console?

DopeyFish

Ugh, I think my Day One console is busted. I was noticing white flickering pixels all over dark screens and often it seems to have trouble sending a picture to the screen despite hearing audio. Normally I'd just swap at Amazon but how does this work with a Day One console?

Did you try an alternate HDMI cable?

Alright I'm done with my Xbox One for tonight, I was watching the Lakers game and turned off my receiver, TV and Xbox by saying "Xbox Turn Off" and then a few seconds later "Yes". I know I probably shouldn't be impressed with voice commands in 2013 but I am. This also makes me wonder what environments some reviewers were testing their systems in that led them to conclude that the voice controls don't work very well.

I think a lot of them went into it with much cynicism and expecting voice commands not to work. It's almost like they wanted it to fail and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. But if you go into it open-minded and follow the instructions, you find it works very well.

I saw several video reviews where they just were talking to it like a conversation and that's just not how it's designed to work. Natural language processing still requires the cloud and these commands need to work when you are offline so they can't use that cloud processing power (except "Xbox Bing" which does use natural language and uses cloud processing to make it work... and it works very well).

DopeyFish

Anyone using the Follow feature for friends? If so, how do you like it?

Its both great and awful at the same time... I wish there was add as friend and follow as separate options

Still want the friending process to work like 360... right now forces a lot of unnecessary communication

What is the proper way to sync the controller to the system? With the Xbox 360, I remember it being very dumby-proof. Just hit one of the sync buttons then the other. I've so far tried to use the sync button on the system first, then the controller's... and visa versa. No luck yet. :/

If you hold the controller while the Kinect sees it, it syncs automagically that way. If you aren't using a Kinect or it can't see the controller, you have to do it the old fashioned way with the sync button on the back of the controller.

Dead

well not really...yet
Microsoft support said the power supply is supposed to be silent. Said id either have to pay to ship the PSU to them to replace it or return the xbone to the retailer I bought it from.

Motherfuck, ill return it but they wont have any to replace it with god fucking damnit.

First time Ive ever had an issue with a launch console.

Special C

Well I called for my replacement from Amazon. No big deal because I can keep playing mine with the loud fan until my new one gets here. Still kinda stinks that I have to redownload everything when it comes.

Smokey

So I'm downloading Forza 5. Had about 45% left and I turned the system off. Is it in suspend or no? I activated that quick game resume beta function or whatever, but is that the same thing?

Thank you, this helps a lot. So I can say "Xbox Select Ghost Dad" and it will search for and start Ghost Dad? Very cool. I'm guessing Amazon video would be the same.

I think you need to pause between "Xbox Select" and anything else. Think of "Xbox Select" as a separate command like "ok, now I want you to listen to everything I say from now on, until I tell you to stop or time runs out"

DopeyFish

So I'm downloading Forza 5. Had about 45% left and I turned the system off. Is it in suspend or no? I activated that quick game resume beta function or whatever, but is that the same thing?

As long as you didn't put it on the lowest power state you should be fine

Bsigg12

I purchased madden because my brother really wanted a football game. What a piece of shit, graphics look just like 360.

I'm holding out hope that the hip hop gamer rumor of 2K making a return to the NFL game is true. EA really fucked up with all these launch spirts games. 2K killed it with NBA.

malfcn

I kind of want to pick up a shooter. If I had to choose Ghosts or Battlefield?
But then I have another 30% off 2 games coupon, so if I get one game it becomes stupid not to grab a second.

Lima

So there is currently no way to listen to some custom music while playing a game like you can on the 360 correct? I snapped Xbox Music and could listen to some music (with the game music still playing though unlike on the 360) but as soon as I unsnapped it the music stopped playing.

DopeyFish

Thank you, this helps a lot. So I can say "Xbox Select Ghost Dad" and it will search for and start Ghost Dad? Very cool. I'm guessing Amazon video would be the same.

Nah, they don't have names for separate shows

So when you say Xbox select... wait and a bunch of popups show up

So if you wanted to watch ghost dad and its on screen, it may have Select 7 as the call out.

You can navigate through the app with just voice as you would on controller, unless you are looking for something specific.

Obviously best for browsing or playing from recently played stuff.

Its both great and awful at the same time... I wish there was add as friend and follow as separate options

Still want the friending process to work like 360... right now forces a lot of unnecessary communication

Not sure how you mean. "Friending" someone works exactly like 360. You send a request, they accept, you're friends. The only difference is there is a halfway state where once you've sent a friend request, you're following them and will continue to do so even if they never accept your request.

Kintaco

So how is TV viewing through the Xbox One? Is the transitions as slick as the demos showed? Any videos out there demonstrating it?

Top Bottom