• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Lima

It is not really needed but will surely be introduced once the external HDD support will be patched in.

Saves are kept on both HDD and in the cloud and you can still see how much a game takes up from your HDD if you press the menu button while highlighting it in my games & apps.

Then once your HDD is full it will tell you to delete some stuff and it will then show you the oldest data on the drive as a selection for you to delete.

So I'm downloading Forza 5. Had about 45% left and I turned the system off. Is it in suspend or no? I activated that quick game resume beta function or whatever, but is that the same thing?

If you turned it off I think it continues to install as long as you have the power setting set to "Instant On" (not sure if that's the exact name). If you have it on "Energy Saving", the xbox turns off completely.

The quick resume means that any game you left running when it went into standby (Instant On mode) will resume right where you left off.. Some games don't seem to handle this properly yet, though, so beware.

Deuterium

This is gonna take some getting used to.

I keep lauching Forza, playing for a bit then going through the different apps, dash and menus and then going "it's gonna take a while" only to click Forza and it pick up exactly where I left off.

I keep trying to trip it up but no luck so far. It goes straight to where I left off without any hiccups.

Going to let BF4 and maybe Ryse download over night. I figured Ryse would be good enough for eye candy. Do wish there was a demo though.

One of the things I love about Dark Souls, is the fact that there is no way to "pause" the game (that I know of) on the X360. This is significant...especially when you are in the heat of a boss battle. The game pulls no punches, and will not allow you to catch your breath or take a "time out", in order to think over various strategies and tactics during an engagement.

In light of this...how will the Xbox One function with a game such as Dark Souls. Hypothetically speaking, if Dark Souls 2 was released for the X1...would you be able to use the X1's multi-media / UI functions to "cheat", and effectively initiate a hard pause / suspension during game-play?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Not sure how you mean. "Friending" someone works exactly like 360. You send a request, they accept, you're friends. The only difference is there is a halfway state where once you've sent a friend request, you're following them and will continue to do so even if they never accept your request.

Er. When you add a friend, you are just adding them to your list of followers.

You then show up at the top of their follower list and would have to add you back to be friends. If they pop into their follower list and back out, your notification is lost to alphabetical order.

That's at least how it has worked for me.

So how is TV viewing through the Xbox One? Is the transitions as slick as the demos showed? Any videos out there demonstrating it?

seems to work as advertised. I have issues with parental controls on my cable box and the xbox has no idea what the code is. Not a fault of the TV app, it can't know this. Not sure how to rectify it, though. I need to have the cable box remote handy to enter that code. It's a bit annoying, but I guess once the xbox supports its own channel locks (or does it already?) I have to keep using this code.

Er. When you add a friend, you are just adding them to your list of followers.

You then show up at the top of their follower list and would have to add you back to be friends. If they pop into their follower list and back out, your notification is lost to alphabetical order.

That's at least how it has worked for me.

yeah that sounds about right.. but i'm not sure what you meant about unnecessary communication. it seems straightforward enough. maybe I haven't done enough with it. lol

Had a fun time this evening with the XBone. Truly glad next gen is here finally. Still trying to get used to the nuances within the UI, but very slick overall.

Ran 3-4 races in Forza and started Ghosts ( dat Ivy)

Enjoy folks - looking forward to a fun weekend ahead.

Always bet on Black!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yeah that sounds about right.. but i'm not sure what you meant about unnecessary communication. it seems straightforward enough. maybe I haven't done enough with it. lol

Basically to ensure that you are added you have to send a message along with it. That's why there should be a complete separation except when both follow each other.

Its kinda irritating

One of the things I love about Dark Souls, is the fact that there is no way to "pause" the game (that I know of) on the X360. This is significant...especially when you are in the heat of a boss battle. The game pulls no punches, and will not allow you to catch your breath or take a "time out", in order to think over various strategies and tactics during an engagement.

In light of this...how will the Xbox One function with a game such as Dark Souls. Hypothetically speaking, if Dark Souls 2 was released for the X1...would you be able to use the X1's multi-media / UI functions to "cheat", and effectively initiate a hard pause / suspension during game-play?

what the game does when it comes back from being suspended is up to the developer. If they are hardcore about it, if you suspend, they will just start you over from the last saved checkpoint or whatever. however, as a gamer, I would prefer it kept going where it left off.. people need to take bathroom breaks after all :)

Gurrry

This console is fucking amazing.

Its really the perfect piece of technology for me. Ive had so many moments with it in such a short time that have awed me and shown me that this is truly next gen.

My only issue so far is that I cant get the kinect to work for the rivals demo... its probably my space im in right now, but hopefully I can fix that.

Cant wait to try xbox fitness tomorrow morning instead of jogging. Im super stoked on that app, and I hope you guys give it a shot.

Overall, this has been worth every penny.

Basically to ensure that you are added you have to send a message along with it. That's why there should be a complete separation except when both follow each other.

Its kinda irritating

ah.. gotcha.. doesn't the other player see a message like "so and so is now following you" or "so and so sent you a friend request"? what if you add them as a friend on xbox.com?

Had a fun time this evening with the XBone. Truly glad next gen is here finally. Still trying to get used to the nuances within the UI, but very slick overall.

Ran 3-4 races in Forza and started Ghosts ( dat Ivy)

Enjoy folks - looking forward to a fun weekend ahead.

Always bet on Black!!

cant believe more people have not been talking about how good the control is now...the ds4 has nothing on this

The rumble through the triggers and handles makes games like forza 10 time better as you can really feel what your car is doing on the track.

This console is fucking amazing.

My only issue so far is that I cant get the kinect to work for the rivals demo... its probably my space im in right now, but hopefully I can fix that.

Overall, this has been worth every penny.

Same problem here, wife and I wanted to race some JetSkis but could not get it to work.

Try screwing around with it tomorrow again.

Gurrry

Just because I have no one else to share these moments with, ill leave them here.

1) I was playing some Dead Rising, then took a break to get something to eat. Came back with my hands full. I say, "Xbox, Go to TV". And bam. I am sitting down and eating, watching TV seamlessly. No fumbling around for the remote or looking for something to watch.

2) Playing KI, heard that there was a close game on ESPN (college football). I snap ESPN to KI, and while im playing online matches im watching a triple OT football game.

There were more, but I wanna get back to gaming. Just thought id share some of the scenarios where the new features have been applicable in my life so far.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
cant believe more people have not been talking about how good the control is now...the ds4 has nothing on this

The rumble through the triggers and handles makes games like forza 10 time better as you can really feel what your car is doing on the track.

So is no one having issues with the bumpers? I was having a nightmare with them? Uncomfortable to use for me

Just because I have no one else to share these moments with, ill leave them here.

1) I was playing some Dead Rising, then took a break to get something to eat. Came back with my hands full. I say, "Xbox, Go to TV". And bam. I am sitting down and eating, watching TV seamlessly. No fumbling around for the remote or looking for something to watch.

2) Playing KI, heard that there was a close game on ESPN (college football). I snap ESPN to KI, and while im playing online matches im watching a triple OT football game.

There were more, but I wanna get back to gaming. Just thought id share some of the scenarios where the new features have been applicable in my life so far.

someone should necro bump the thread(s) where the discussion was around voice commands and snapping and how so many people went out of their way to point out that these things were "useless".

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I agree.

The controller is excellent. I am a Forza vet and it just feels soooooo much better and immersive. You feel the pull of the car and weight in turns from my short time playing.

The rumble was the first thing my neighbor and a fellow Forza player mentioned as soon as he started a race.

SO glad this released on a weekend !

Gurrry

So how is TV viewing through the Xbox One? Is the transitions as slick as the demos showed? Any videos out there demonstrating it?

Everything has been perfect for me.

Shit, I even just snapped Netflix while playing DR3. Didnt even think that would work. Now im hittin some always sunny and trucking zombs.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
And with the Xbox One, I have all the next-gen goodness I could ask for: WiiU, PS4, Xbox One, Vita, 3DS, iOS and Android.

First impressions: The controller is a disappointment. The Xbox 360 is was my favorite controller, right ahead of the Gamecube's pad. Behind those two would probably be the distant Dreamcast for it's nifty VMU but not for ergonomics. But the Xbox One really goes back in a lot of way in my opinion: The joysticks are looser, they're also a bit smaller. The pad as a whole *feels* smaller. The trigger is more tiring to hold down. And my fingers don't have enough room on the backside to rest comfortably. And it's just missing a lot of features the DS4 has now: the touchpad, the gyro controls (AMAZING for the on-screen KB), the share button. Plus, the DS4 REALLY improved Sony's sticks... suprisingly; I'd have never guessed it, but I think the DS4 will end up being my favorite controller yet.

... That said, the new rumble is REALLY cool, and I can't wait to experience it in a shooter that takes it into consideration.

Forza's lighting looks DAMN good. The game has jaggies out the wazoo - and that sucks. But man, there are some parts where you're in the cockpit of a nice car, whipping past a hillside at 160mph and 60fps, and the glare from the sun blinds you and the reflection hits the windshield. Bliss. Looks great.

... ... but holy crap at the freaking money-grabbing. The whole game seems like a F2P game; yet I paid sixty bucks for it. Really freaking pathetic, and a shitty way to begin the new gen.

Outside of that, nothing really jumps at me to buy. I'd grab Ryse for $30 just to show off the system - but it doesn't seem worth $60. DR3's horrible framerate sends me running. I could totally understand the allure of KI - but I'm not a fighter fan.

So, right now the One is my $500 Forza machine. Even with Titanfall, I'll probably get it on PC. But the thing is, we all know the system - like every other - will eventually get a huge number of must-own exclusives; and so with that, I'd rather just have a new toy now.

The console is big, but it's not whale-sized like I expected. Honestly, I've been mean to it in the past; but in person, it really doesn't look that bad. It's boring. But it's not ugly. It fits right in with an entertainment center and 95% of people don't care, anyway.

The Kinect is a lot smaller, and doesn't look absurd sitting on top my TV - though I'm gonna buy the TV mount tomorrow to make it more stable.

The OS is snappy enough. Though I do prefer the simplicity of the XMB more. But really, just personal preference. They both do what they need to intuitively enough.

The voice commands are way too limited. Pretty much anything I'd probably prefer the precision of a controller. Same goes with "swiping/grabbing" the OS with your jerky on-screen hand representation.

The Kinect cable is pretty long - good on them for that. The HDMI cable actually is pretty nice quality - dangit, Major Nelson.

Setup was easy. Glad the update was painless.

Not sure if I like the new store setup. Need more time.

Wish there were more demos.

RdN

So is no one having issues with the bumpers? I was having a nightmare with them? Uncomfortable to use for me

I'm having some issues with the bumpers to, which I'm crediting to the fact that I'm unable to play games with both the index and the Middle fingers on top of the controller (I only play with the index and alternate between trigger and bumper). This controller seems made for people which play with both on top.

Nothing that I'm worried, though. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. Specially when the rest of it feels completely amazing.

Kintaco

seems to work as advertised. I have issues with parental controls on my cable box and the xbox has no idea what the code is. Not a fault of the TV app, it can't know this. Not sure how to rectify it, though. I need to have the cable box remote handy to enter that code. It's a bit annoying, but I guess once the xbox supports its own channel locks (or does it already?) I have to keep using this code.

Everything has been perfect for me.

Shit, I even just snapped Netflix while playing DR3. Didnt even think that would work. Now im hittin some always sunny and trucking zombs.

Good to hear, that snapping feature with live TV seems like an awesome combination! Going to make the wait for the Xbox One hard.

abracadaver

I remember seeing a picture that showed the top games being played currently and how many players were in each game.

Has this been taken out ? I cant find it

CougRon

So mad with the fedex guy right now. They put my One on the truck for delivery this morning and then apparently drove around all day with it and returned to the facility 12 hours later and said its "not due for delivery". WTF?!? Apparently they estimated it would be delivered by a certain date and goddamnit they will not deliver a day earlier then estimated even THOUGH ITS RIGHT THERE!!! ARRRGGGHHH!!! And I now see there is an 'instruction' for weekday delivery so I don't think I'm getting it this weekend. Grrrrrr...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Pretty much all gyro functions can be done with Kinect because it always watches the controller. Stuff like shaking off zombies in DR3 for example.

Probably true; but I expect a higher level of precision from the PS4's gyro. Plus, I *really* liked it for text input.

Dukey

Banned

Clearly you have ADHD. /sarcasm (dont get mad, just sick of hearing that stupid excuse people use for not wanting SNAP functionality).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Okay it is an awesome controller, but I still can't get used to the bumpers.
WAAAAAHHHH FUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Wow, I had a blast today with my Xbone, what a great launch :)
Download speeds seemed normal, UI worked great w/ snapping and switching, voice control was awesome, controller melted into my hands, Killer Instinct is hella fun, Battlefield felt next gen (when it didn't crash).

My only complaint is that the party system is really picky with NAT. Had a few friends that just couldn't join our chats. Honestly, the chat should be hosted on the cloud now, not a local box.

But overall, very very pleased.

Dukey

Banned
Probably true; but I expect a higher level of precision from the PS4's gyro. Plus, I *really* liked it for text input.

I like the DS4 when compared to the DS3, but hate it compared to 360 and XB1's controllers. The stick tops are just too small and too slippery. And what's worse is that the more I use the left stick, the more it degrades. I'm clearly going to need a new controller. I called Amazon to ask for a replacement and they said they could only send me a new console. That seems like a waste to get a new controller. I'll just buy a new one. I also dont like the size of the triggers. My triggers on the DS3(with attachments) were so much bigger and nicer. I wish I could take the tops off the XB1 controller and put them on the DS4's analog sticks.

Skel1ingt0n

I like the DS4 when compared to the DS3, but hate it compared to 360 and XB1's controllers. The stick tops are just too small and too slippery. And what's worse is that the more I use the left stick, the more it degrades. I'm clearly going to need a new controller. I called Amazon to ask for a replacement and they said they could only send me a new console. That seems like a waste to get a new controller. I'll just buy a new one. I also dont like the size of the triggers. My triggers on the DS3(with attachments) were so much bigger and nicer. I wish I could take the tops off the XB1 controller and put them on the DS4's analog sticks.

Fair enough. I'm not running into those issue. Not saying that the Xbox One controller is bad - it isn't. It's actually, really, really good. I'm just surprised that I'm finding myself liking the DS4 more. Though, I haven't had the sticks degrade on me, yet. If it does affect me, I admit I probably won't like dropping $60 on a new controller every six months until they fix it.

Last gen, I'd have said:

Xbox controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> off brand Xbox controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS3

Whereas this gen, I'd say:

DS4 >>> Xbox One controller/ Xbox controller >>> Gamecube controller (for reference)

The_Afroman

As someone that bought both, I have to say it's going to be a super fun ride! Both have their issues. PS4 launch lineup was weaker. But remote play is killer. Being able to go upstairs lay in bed and play some games with no hiccups is amazing. Also streaming is a WAY bigger deal then I thought. Totally didn't see that coming.

Xbox One is beautiful in its giantess kind of way. It's big and imposing. Lots of ports on the back.. Meant to do more. I hooked up my directtv to it and watched tv, setup kinect. Had a blast with the interface. Needs some mild tweaks.. But I can't believe they were able to shrink the 100s of menus of the Xbox 360 into as many as the xbone has now. Liner has been about 85% responsive. As I have a 3 year old.. He liked to shout. The day one patch was super fast for me.. But the game
Installing is a bit slower then the PS4. Dead rising 3 and Forza are amazing launch titles. Matched with Knack and Killzone? I think I have a great variety of genres.

Controllers? Both feel great. The bumpers on Xbox don't bother as much, but I do see the gripes. Now for the killer features of both.
Xbox and those amazing trigger rumbles. OMG. Forza feels amazing. Propriety headset?! No. Not happy. Also? Do we know if we will get full sound out of the controller? Because that to me is the killer feature on the DS4.. A full blown headphone/set jack. Makes playing loud shooters/adult games late at night way easier. Xbox.. Get on it.. Because it's huge!

All in all. With Wii U.. PS4 and Xbox One. It's an amazing time to be a gamer!
Some images I made.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
XBO looks surprisingly beautiful (sleek as fuck) in a media cabinet, the PS4 looks awesome too. Both controllers look amazing and oddly complement eachother somehow.

I've decided the Xbox One just hates my receiver. I was able to get a picture by booting into low-res safe mode and was even able to adjust it in settings up to 720p but at 1080p it just craps out. 1080p works fine when connected directly to the TV, and I've never had another device that this receiver wouldn't display.

Ugh, I don't want to have to buy another receiver just for this fucking thing.

GTI Guy

I have a couple of questions that I'm not sure there's a solution for.

1. Is there any way to snap a Skype session into the smaller screen vs the big screen? I swear there's Xbox One promo vids that show this off, I couldn't figure it out.

2. Does Xbox One have a way to stream videos off of my PC? I can do this just fine from my Xbox 360 but the Xbox One does not seem to have an option.

Skel1ingt0n

As someone that bought both, I have to say it's going to be a super fun ride! Both have their issues. PS4 launch lineup was weaker. But remote play is killer. Being able to go upstairs lay in bed and play some games with no hiccups is amazing. Also streaming is a WAY bigger deal then I thought. Totally didn't see that coming.

Xbox One is beautiful in its giantess kind of way. It's big and imposing. Lots of ports on the back.. Meant to do more. I hooked up my directtv to it and watched tv, setup kinect. Had a blast with the interface. Needs some mild tweaks.. But I can't believe they were able to shrink the 100s of menus of the Xbox 360 into as many as the xbone has now. Liner has been about 85% responsive. As I have a 3 year old.. He liked to shout. The day one patch was super fast for me.. But the game
Installing is a bit slower then the PS4. Dead rising 3 and Forza are amazing launch titles. Matched with Knack and Killzone? I think I have a great variety of genres.

Controllers? Both feel great. The bumpers on Xbox don't bother as much, but I do see the gripes. Now for the killer features of both.
Xbox and those amazing trigger rumbles. OMG. Forza feels amazing. Propriety headset?! No. Not happy. Also? Do we know if we will get full sound out of the controller? Because that to me is the killer feature on the DS4.. A full blown headphone/set jack. Makes playing loud shooters/adult games late at night way easier. Xbox.. Get on it.. Because it's huge!

All in all. With Wii U.. PS4 and Xbox One. It's an amazing time to be a gamer!
Some images I made.

Agree with the point of your post. If you have the time and the money, there's absolutely zero reason to play favorites. Competition stems creativity, it boosts the customer's power, and it keeps the big players in check. And ultimately, anyone who pretends that any console doesn't have absolute must-play exclusives by their end of life is full of it. Can't wait for new IPs and new entries in my favorite series: Zelda, Halo, Uncharted, Metal Gear, etc, etc. Great time to be a gamer.

Alcander

Dang I am loving this. So awesome for a launch day.

Few gripes
- I want the voice navigation w/i apps to be better. I was showing my gf the voice stuff, and it was awesome until you're actually within like, say, netflix, and then I fumbled some command and had to fallback on the controller.

- Sometimes suspended apps take a while to open up which throws off the otherwise smooth flow of the UI

- More demos -_- seriously

- Amazon prime app seems laggy. Meh

- Need alternative versions of commands/app names. I could not get the system to recognize Assassin's creed 4, for instance (the voice command prompt even had the copyright or trademark symbol in the name...)

----

I need more XBL buddies so add me: pr0xima (with a zero)

Chitown B

Games can keep running when you zoom out. Some of them have already in my experience.

Really want the machine but I dont subscribe to cable so I feel like I wont be using this to its potential which kind of sucks, wish they sold a kinectless version.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So this evening I said screw Amazon and manged to find an Xbox One at an EB Games in downtown Toronto. Every other place I called was sold out but they had a stack of them. It's not a Day One Edition like I have ordered but it's not a big deal for me, I can live without the controller and achievement.

I really love the console, the UI is definitely next gen, even if it's a little rough around the edges. Navigating with voice worked extremely well and I fucking love instantly going in and out of games. I still feel like I have a lot of things to set up and learn to use, the OS is very deep.

Since I'm going all digital I only had a chance to play KI and Ryse, Forza is downloading now so I'll get to play it tomorrow. KI is loads of fun, my girlfriend and I were playing and she kept saying "just one more match". I wouldn't mind the 720p if they implemented some sort of AA but other than that the game looks great.

Ryse just completely blew my mind graphically. Just stunning. Only on chapter 2 but so far I'm enjoying it a lot, I think it's better than many of the reviews have claimed. Yes, it's not deep but I still find the combat fun.

Can't wait to play with it more tomorrow. The only question is do I cancel the Amazon order or keep it and try to resell it?

WiCkEd_Co

I can't get SmartGlass to connect from my PC but my phone will connect just fine, and yes I have the version for Xbox One. Get error 0x8000001F.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I'm having some issues with the bumpers to, which I'm crediting to the fact that I'm unable to play games with both the index and the Middle fingers on top of the controller (I only play with the index and alternate between trigger and bumper). This controller seems made for people which play with both on top.

Nothing that I'm worried, though. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. Specially when the rest of it feels completely amazing.

That's exactly my problem. I alternate my index too. It's a major oversight for me and easily makes the dual shock 4 my controller of choice. 360 controller was my favourite controller too

Rommel

Love my Xbox One. I've put in time with Ryse, Killer Instinct, Forza 5 and Xbox Fitness.

Ryse I've found to be some mindless fun, just what I was looking for from it. I know people don't like the QTE aspect of it but I just started at the hardest difficulty so I never saw it in the first place. Pretty fun at that level... actually feels like I have to work for it.

Killer Instinct is a blast, holy crap I forgot just how much I used to like fighting games. Course since its been 10 years since I've really played one I'm terribad. Got rolled online but it's all in good fun =)

Forza is... well Forza

Xbox Fitness is pretty cool, kicked my ass first go around, I need to build up some stamina!

Setup was a breeze and my Time Warner cable box passes through perfectly. I have a Yamaha YSP-5000 sound bar as my receiver and it seems that the surround is working good for me.

Patch went quickly although the game downloads were a little slow, but I will attribute that to the servers being slammed. Over 60 gigs downloaded in Ryse and Forza alone.

I'll probably fold and buy NBA 2k14, Deadrising and Fifa tomorrow

Haklong

I've decided the Xbox One just hates my receiver. I was able to get a picture by booting into low-res safe mode and was even able to adjust it in settings up to 720p but at 1080p it just craps out. 1080p works fine when connected directly to the TV, and I've never had another device that this receiver wouldn't display.

Ugh, I don't want to have to buy another receiver just for this fucking thing.

I had the same issue. I just switched HDMI cables. I used the ones that came with the Xbox One and that solved my problem.

Top Bottom