• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Also they need an actual game library section. Not cram games and apps together. I think they should have stuck with the older UI with more tabs.

xbox-one-dash.png

Oh yea, that would have been better

m23

If anyone ever wants to play, my gt is Munish Thiara. So far I've picked up Forza 5, Ryse, Assassin's Creed 4, Killer Intinct and Battlefield 4

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Where do we go to do the initial kinect setup that measures sound and other things. I skipped it during first boot up. Thanks.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Do any of the games have demos?

jbug617

Banned
Amazon priced matched some of the Walmart pre-black friday sale

$49.00

Dead Rising 3
NBA 2k14
Forza 5
Ryse
COD: Ghosts
Lego Marvel

Fowler

My gripes so far:
  • No download history
  • Can't manage HDD space
  • No auto sign-in without Kinect camera
  • Party chat flaws/confusion
  • Install times can take a long time
  • Friendlist seems packed away, not as visble as the Xbox 360

I'm with you on these. Not being able to manage the HDD seems especially bizarre given that everything has to be installed.

I'd also like to add that it'd be nice to get a warning before a game is shut down (and replaced with another); was trying to pause my Forza download, but launched it instead, and wiped out my in-progress FIFA match.

hawk2025

How can I get Suspend/Resume to work?

I've tried multiple things, but every time I shut off the console, Dead Rising 3 is back to the main screen. Am I missing something?

Any help would be great :)

Eric WK

I work at target and we literally had a guy just come up and beg to buy an Xbox One...but we are completely out. The back room only has two day one editions and both are on pre order holds. The video game section has an X1 set up, not playable, but just displayed and there's so many guys that come by and start explaining about the tv stuff and games to their wives ( you can tell they are trying to get the O.K. From them to get one lol).... It's funny to watch.

I've had this conversation so much over the past few days.

"Hey, come check out this Xbox Fitness stuff!"

"Look how easy Skype works!"

"We won't have to move the Apple TV back and forth between the living room and the bedroom anymore!"

etc. etc.

I'm honestly thinking of picking up an Xbox One solely for that fitness stuff. Like literally throw it on my TV in the basement and use it for nothing else.

If that rumor of a "lite" model coming out are true, something like one without a bluray drive and neutered CPU/GPU/RAM so it can only run Kinect and apps for around $199, I would totally do that too!

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
Also they need an actual game library section. Not cram games and apps together. I think they should have stuck with the older UI with more tabs.

xbox-one-dash.png

I agree 100%. I was actually surprised they consolidated the tabs to just three. I hope this gets rectified quickly because right now navigation is definitely more cumbersome because of it.

Bollocks

How's XBox Fitness?
Does it come with a schedule when you do Insanity for example?

Would love to hear some impressions as I would totally buy the Bone solely for this feature.

Well, awesome! Confirmed that designating the home console thing for Gold users gives any person on that console full access to online and their digital games and app access even while not currently logged in online with that account. Digital family share, basically. The owner of the content can even log in on another X1 and play against/with that person allowing for one purchase of a digital content being used at the same time over Live. A nice reason to go digital. And you can change your home console any time with seemingly no apparent limitation outside of being a current subscriber.

I wish that the voice commands for launching games was more flexible. Having to say "EA Sports NBA live 14" to start the game is pretty ridiculous.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amazon refunded me $30 because I purchased the three first party titles. Wonder if I should buy Crimson Dragon. Any impressions?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So is there any way to switch Skype accounts on one profile? You can't sign off of Skype once signed in on a profile so it seems impossible.

I'm with you on these. Not being able to manage the HDD seems especially bizarre given that everything has to be installed.

I'd also like to add that it'd be nice to get a warning before a game is shut down (and replaced with another); was trying to pause my Forza download, but launched it instead, and wiped out my in-progress FIFA match.

The HDD management is intentional because microsoft is in theory using their cloud network to store certain things like game saves or at least will be so its not as cut and dry as to what data lives where.

Does anyone know why my games dont continue to install in standby? It keeps saying net connection lost when I boot up to check status

Amazon refunded me $30 because I purchased the three first party titles. Wonder if I should buy Crimson Dragon. Any impressions?

Read SAB CA's excellent thoughts on it in the OT. It's retro-feeling and definitely Japanese. As a PD/Futatsugi fan, I'm obliged to say it is worth the money, but I also haven't spent much time with it beyond the first few missions. Very slow-feeling intro dragon and getting accustomed to controlling a lot more of your dragon while shooting with the camera is centering/moving all around is a bit cumbersome, even janky-to-the-max. Not for everyone, but if you've really got a desire to play a rail shooter or revisit PD, and if you can deal with some clear grinding of the shorter missions, it may not turn you off and be worth the $20. Not for every PD fan...

Fowler

The HDD management is intentional because microsoft is in theory using their cloud network to store certain things like game saves or at least will be so its not as cut and dry as to what data lives where.

Does anyone know why my games dont continue to install in standby? It keeps saying net connection lost when I boot up to check status

But the problem with that is every game needs to be installed to the hard drive and games are at least 10GB. And I'm going digital, so it's even worse. I don't even want to THINK about re-downloading Forza given how long it's taking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, awesome! Confirmed that designating the home console thing for Gold users gives any person on that console full access to online and their digital games and app access even while not currently logged in online with that account. Digital family share, basically. The owner of the content can even log in on another X1 and play against/with that person allowing for one purchase of a digital content being used at the same time over Live. A nice reason to go digital. And you can change your home console any time with seemingly no apparent limitation outside of being a current subscriber.

Same as PS4, sounds like. Still frustrating for me compared to the old Playstation system that basically allowed two primary consoles. As I'd buy any games on my account, it makes it difficult for one of my kids to have their own console. So physical is actually more convenient for that

JayDub

So digital or retail? I like the idea of going digital but if the download times and install times are as bad as the PS3 I think I'll pass.

They're bad, no doubt about that. I hope now that its launched, every future game will be handled like Steam. Pre-download week before, and on launch day download a small activation key.

EDIT: Oh, and all digital.

Top Bottom