• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

They're bad, no doubt about that. I hope now that its launched, every future game will be handled like Steam. Pre-download week before, and on launch day download a small activation key.

EDIT: Oh, and all digital.

Thanks. I still might go all digital. I hate having a shelf full of games. Is it possible that xbl is getting hammered and thats whats slowing it down?

Klocker

Ok i let the xbox sit for at least twenty minutes with nobody near it and it still has not gone to the dark screen saver... wonder what's up? Maybe because tv is paused in window?

Mr_eX

I have a Xbox One Day One Edition but haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet since I already have a PS4 with 8 games. I do want to play Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 and I know there will be more games I want to play on it in the future. I have absolutely no interest in any of the extra features the xbox one offers, it would just be for playing games. I probably wouldn't even hook the kinect up.

Would you guys recommend keeping it or returning it?

I have a Xbox One Day One Edition but haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet since I already have a PS4 with 8 games. I do want to play Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 and I know there will be more games I want to play on it in the future. I have absolutely no interest in any of the extra features the xbox one offers, it would just be for playing games. I probably wouldn't even hook the kinect up.

if you live in Charlotte area sell it to me :p

T.O.P

Banned

Killer Instinct is amazing so yes?

Try it on a store if you have the chance, is insanely fun

Wanted to try DR3 today, but got caught up in 5 hours of KI like yesterday lol

golem

Take it back.. it seems like youre not too interested in the exclusives and have already picked a next gen console for now. Wait till something comes out that you want badly. I know my PS4 is sadly already collecting dust.

I've had this conversation so much over the past few days.

"Hey, come check out this Xbox Fitness stuff!"

"Look how easy Skype works!"

"We won't have to move the Apple TV back and forth between the living room and the bedroom anymore!"

etc. etc.
Yup haha...I can tell why they are focusing on a multi function living room box...might not be the best for us gamers per say (even though I'm very pleased so far), but I can see how big this can be if they get the price down and get some issues ironed out.

Smokey

Depends on the standby mode. In low power mode it doesnt download. And it doesnt finish downloads and goes into standby either like the 360 did.
To finish downloads you have to use the sleep mode where kinect always listens.

Oh that's where I messed up last night. I just shut the system down with the controller. Today I did xbox off and it kept downloading my titles.

yea I understand what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't work. whats going to happen when there's like 30 apps, and people own like 20 games, 15 arcade titles, and 10 indie titles? going to be a mess.

The whole UI needs a overhaul IMO, just way too confusing.
You quickly say the game you want to play to Kinect so you don't have to navigate your library? ;P

Or organize your pins as you go along, unpin old games you never play frequently, and old apps? :p

derFeef

No voice command suck, Game DVR and stuff like that feels really limited. Funny I can turn them on in Dead Rising 3 - this game can understand German (from Austria...)

Albert get on this, Austrians speak German too :(

You quickly say the game you want to play to Kinect so you don't have to navigate your library? ;P

Or organize your pins as you go along, unpin old games you never play frequently, and old apps? :p

some things I'd rather just use a controller for.

kinect is nice when it works, but sometimes it has issues. It's nice to have options, especially when the average consumer isn't going to memorize the commands for the kinect.

sangreal

No voice command suck, Game DVR and stuff like that feels really limited. Funny I can turn them on in Dead Rising 3 - this game can understand German (from Austria...)

can't you just set it to german - germany? you should be able to still use xbox.com to access austrian marketplace

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm, talking about this, what are the german commands for things like "Xbox on", "snap" and other stuff. Are they awkward?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

It kinda is. I expected it to be basically perfect after all the promo talk about the new kinect, it's kinda unbelievable how bad the recognition can be. Seems to work flawless for some people and really problematic for others.

But: Isn't One supposed to "only" work for the person logged in? I thought others couldn't interfere with voice command trolling.

Hammer24

Banned
Short Impressions on Region lock:
- there is None :D!

I´m in Germany, console set to en-US. All US apps can be downloaded and used. When switching back to de-DE, some Content is unavailable inside the app, but the Basics work, and they are visible.
Installing physical German game on en-US set console: works.
Buying Points off Amazon.com, redeeming them (just Switch the Region on your acoount Setting in your Profile on your pc), then buying from american Marketplace: works. Nice euro-Dollar conversion! :D

Now give me Flash for the browser (so I can use NFL GamePass), add the SlingPlayer app, and I´m set for life!

MarkusRJR

Holy shit this console is big. How much space is too little? My entertainment center isn't big. It'll have like 3-4 inches above it and 1.25" on each side. Is that alright or should I be worried?

Also, is there a way to rent movies off Xbox Video using Paypal now? For some reason they removed that functionality on the Xbox 360 (yet I can still rent movies off my W8 tablet).

RdN

The first time I used the Xbone controller, I had the same issue. I really did not like the bumpers.
But now I am adjusting to how the controller is designed to push the bumpers, and it feels great.

I'm guessing you usually take your finger off the trigger to press the bumper?
Try keeping your finger on the trigger, and just rolling it to press the bumper.
Here is a video I found that clearly shows the method I'm trying to describe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-smJELJ4A

Wow! This is some solid advice! I tried it out and works great. Can't believe I hadn't thought about it.

Thanks a lot, Garrett!

Dukey

Banned
Ok i let the xbox sit for at least twenty minutes with nobody near it and it still has not gone to the dark screen saver... wonder what's up? Maybe because tv is paused in window?

Maybe the new consoles don't have screen savers. I know PS4 doesn't.

Hammer24

Banned
So I set my MS account to a fake adress in US and I am good to go?

You don´t even Need that. When you try to redeem american Points on the german Marketplace, it says you´re in the wrong Region. And then Comes the site to Change the Region just for the market. Click USA, bam.

derFeef

You don´t even Need that. When you try to redeem american Points on the german Marketplace, it says you´re in the wrong Region. And then Comes the site to Change the Region just for the market. Click USA, bam.

American points? I thought everything is region free now... weird.
Anyway, I don't have a CC and paypal is my only option. Can I buy digital games then?

Hammer24

Banned
American points? I thought everything is region free now... weird.
Anyway, I don't have a CC and paypal is my only option. Can I buy digital games then?

Haven´t tried PayPal yet.
Can´t you buy a prepaid american CC? I thought those are available on the interwebs...

Ah, now I get it. I didn´t buy Points, but an XBOX gift Card (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4CFCXO/?tag=neogaf0e-20).
And These are in Dollar, so thats probably why it wanted me to Change the market Region on my PC (XBOX.com).

Rey

Short Impressions on Region lock:
- there is None :D!

I´m in Germany, console set to en-US. All US apps can be downloaded and used. When switching back to de-DE, some Content is unavailable inside the app, but the Basics work, and they are visible.
Installing physical German game on en-US set console: works.
Buying Points off Amazon.com, redeeming them (just Switch the Region on your acoount Setting in your Profile on your pc), then buying from american Marketplace: works. Nice euro-Dollar conversion! :D

Now give me Flash for the browser (so I can use NFL GamePass), add the SlingPlayer app, and I´m set for life!

I thought you can switch your region once in 3 months or something? I'm so confused.

Klocker

By the way. Hit menu button (start) while on a pin and it will allow you to move it to the front so you can put your most used pins up close

Hammer24

Banned
I thought you can switch your region once in 3 months or something? I'm so confused.

We are handling three regions here:
- your account (via XBOX.com)
- your purchase Options/Marketplace (via XBOX.com)
- your console (X1)

It might be, the first one can only be changed so often. But as this has no further consequence that I´m Aware of, just set an american adress an leave it at that.

Bollocks

michael-scott-no.gif

There's a reason why there's a border, lets keep it that way.
Proper I18N or don't try at all Albert.

Rey

We are handling three regions here:
- your account (via XBOX.com)
- your purchase Options/Marketplace (via XBOX.com)
- your console (X1)

It might be, the first one can only be changed so often. But as this has no further consequence that I´m Aware of, just set an american adress an leave it at that.

Will setting your region to US have any influence on your ping with online gaming?

Top Bottom