• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Kacho

Gold Member
People think Black Flag looks bad? It's easily the most impressive of the games I own. Admittedly, I don't have Ryse, but still.

It's OK in parts I think. The water and foliage both look fantastic. At times though it looks straight up like a 360 game. I chalked that up to it being a cross gen game.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Owning 360s in the past don't mean shit when you're as negative as you are. Even I was going to call you out on another thread and realized it was pointless. I enjoy your posts on OT but over here, holy shit, you're so damn negative on the X1.

As far as Im concerned, after all the dust has settled on the beginning of this gen, and all the fanboys go in hiding (like it did with the 360-PS3 "war"), you'll be remembered as one of the ones who flamed the fire for all this "console wars" bullshit. On fucking GAF, of all places.

We're not fucking 12. You like the PS4, go to the PS4 thread. If I don't like something, and I see something negative about it, I won't go out of my way to post about it. Cause I don't give a shit about it.
Since I comment on legitimate concerns about the system I should go to the ps4 thread. Is this stealth "sonybot" nonsense?

Some of you are ridiculous.

Unless i'm in here abiding by your rules then I should go somewhere else? Buying the console isn't enough around here. You better sing the praises from the high hills.

Sobriquet

I still haven't unboxed my xbox one day one edition yet. Honestly, I want to just for football sunday and the nfl app. The other side of me says I should sell it or return it and wait until some more appealing titles come around and they iron out the jankyness. First world problems I know.

I hate regretting purchases and im a big worrier. These things make me gun shy.

You're missing out. Really. It's an awesome system. FWIW, I have a game on with the NFL app snapped to the side right now. :D

zou

Is there a good way to navigate Amazon Video with Kinect, specifically episode listings for shows? There's a bug where it doesn't remember your previous position, but even then, to navigate episodes you can only use "next page". Since they only show 3 episodes at a time, using Kinect is a waste of time. Ideally I could just say the episode number, but it only listens to the 3 current episodes listed, which is kind of useless.

Alcander

Is there a good way to navigate Amazon Video with Kinect, specifically episode listings for shows? There's a bug where it doesn't remember your previous position, but even then, to navigate episodes you can only use "next page". Since they only show 3 episodes at a time, using Kinect is a waste of time. Ideally I could just say the episode number, but it only listens to the 3 current episodes listed, which is kind of useless.

Yeah, navigating with Kinect inside actual apps kind of sucks at the moment. Its a bummer

Hindle

Banned
I preordered it during the summer. We had little to no details about the console at that point. Just because I'm not singing its praises doesn't mean I have a hidden agenda.

However, I do appreciate the change of tone.

If you're having doubts about your purchase then it's best you get a refund. Based off your comments here the system isn't for you yet, it's how I feel about the next gen in general.

There isn't anything that justifys so much money being spent IMO at this time. However the consoles first year is looking incredible, so you're best off waiting until then. Titanfall to be exact.

RotBot

Just got off the phone with Amazon to replace my X1 with a loud fan and possible overheating. Don't know if going through Microsoft warranty lets you do this, but I can keep the Day One controller and ship everything else back after I receive my replacement.

you're just experiencing fanboys posse-up, where they form cliques to try to ignore legitimate problems people have just so they can collectively silence criticisms. Then they gang up on the person expressing their problems, so that it seems like they're the "outsider" and may back off from their claims. It's actually not at all unique to Xbox fans - all fanboys do it. official topics for games are usually insufferable until about a month out because that's about the time the ultra fanboys stop circling people with criticisms like rabid dogs and allow people to accept the reality that there are real problems.

How is any if this constructive or allowed in tis thread? Would a mod care to chime in, please? This armchair therapy has no place here and the bolded is completely uncalled for.

MThanded

How is any if this constructive or allowed in tis thread? Would a mod care to chime in, please? This armchair therapy has no place here and the bolded is completely uncalled for.
Are you concerned with the rest of the posters in here mouthing off?

Owning 360s in the past don't mean shit when you're as negative as you are. Even I was going to call you out on another thread and realized it was pointless. I enjoy your posts on OT but over here, holy shit, you're so damn negative on the X1.

As far as Im concerned, after all the dust has settled on the beginning of this gen, and all the fanboys go in hiding (like it did with the 360-PS3 "war"), you'll be remembered as one of the ones who flamed the fire for all this "console wars" bullshit. On fucking GAF, of all places.

We're not fucking 12. You like the PS4, go to the PS4 thread. If I don't like something, and I see something negative about it, I won't go out of my way to post about it. Cause I don't give a shit about it.

Relax. Breath. Its a gaming system

Question for the UK owners.

How easy is the console to set up?

As mentioned, incredibly easy. Had mine up and running in around 20 minutes. Download was a little slow for the size of the patch and there were a few minutes where it remained static on the splash screen, but it's very easy to set up...

harSon

Banned
Since I comment on legitimate concerns about the system I should go to the ps4 thread. Is this stealth "sonybot" nonsense?

Unless i'm in here abiding by your rules then I should go somewhere else?

You're in the same boat as I am, albeit in my case I'm more favorable towards the Xbox One. I have a lot more respect for someone who despite criticizing a platform or having a preference, actually has an open mind about potentially purchasing the console in question, or furthermore in our case, have taken that extra step and actually purchased it. It's one thing to have a negative opinion about something, but it's another to continually shit up threads about something that you have no intention of ever owning.

Don't mind the haters. At least your opinions from here on out will be an informed one based on first hand experience, which is a lot more than I can say about a lot of people.

Hindle

Banned
As mentioned, incredibly easy. Had mine up and running in around 20 minutes. Download was a little slow for the size of the patch and there were a few minutes where it remained static on the splash screen, but it's very easy to set up...

Awesome, and thanks dudes.

How is Kinect to set up btw? When I get the X1, it will be my first experience with the device, so I'm interested in how easy it is to get working.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
is there a way to have a pop up when a friend signs online like on the 360?

bakeray

As a person who didn't even hook up the Kinect until a day after I got the system, I gotta say now that because of the voice commands and UI navigation I don't ever see myself unhooking it.

Had some issues w/ BF4 servers and party chat, but those seemed to be EA's issue and my friend's NAT.

Really loving the system so far, and Killer Instinct is great.

Alcander

Is it me or are there no voice commands for the YouTube app? I then paired it with my phone and that was janky as fuck

Dunno about the YouTube app, haven't tried it yet. But navigating the Netflix and Amazon apps is difficult with voice commands since its a lot of "next page" or "item 1" etc. They need to make it so you can open either of those apps and just use a simple command like "watch Suits season 2" for instance and it would open that show's view.

I am. There's no need for all of that. Your choice is your choice.

Not to further derail the thread, but if you ordered the system in the summer, presumable during all of the DRM, software behind schedule, weak sauce GPU mess, what makes you hesitant now that the system is out and actually proving to be pretty good so far?

MThanded

I am. There's no need for all of that. Your choice is your choice.

Not to further derail the thread, but if you ordered the system in the summer, presumable during all of the DRM, software behind schedule, weak sauce GPU mess, what makes you hesitant now that the system is out and actually proving to be pretty good so far?
Loading Time, Install Times, UI, Voice control and TV guide issues.

Sure the hardware is weaker but I usually buy multiplat for the exclusives. Also a lot of people I know will only be on xbox live.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Ami is replying in his... typically colourful fashion to express frustration about the fact that MThanded came here as a sincere participant, trying to discuss stuff with people and get help, and got called out as a fanboy with a secret agenda trying to undermine Xbox. And also got told, literally, that negative opinions weren't welcome here.

It would be our preference if people tried to discuss "fanboys" as little as possible and focused instead on making the thread a good place for discussion, but as you are asking for us to explain why Ami's post is allowed, my answer would be that he appears to be participating in good faith and responding to a group of people who appear to be participating not in good faith.

Of course I would encourage people to adopt a tone that does not encourage derails and further arguments and obviously Ami's tone often leads, whether he's correct or not, to fights in threads. So that's not ideal.

The best move at this juncture would be if subsequent replies to the thread were about Xbox One instead of the psychology of fans of one product or another or calling out groups or individuals for perceived stuff. Let's get it back on track gents.

Sure but it is easier to ignore posters I'm non to familiar with. I think there's a far better way to react to them rather than resort to grouping them as fanboys, conduct a class on psychology, and calling it a day.

For all I know, these other posters are probably reacting to the negativity we've seen in past weeks .think we are all very exhausted at the tone this site has seen. That in no way excuses how MThanded has been spoken to and we need a better way of clarifying our concerns and then addressing them than how it's been done in past few pages, that includes those of us who would seemingly hold ourselves to better standards.

Hindle

Banned
Loading Time, Install Times, UI, Voice control and TV guide issues.

Sure the hardware is weaker but I usually buy multiplat for the exclusives. Also a lot of people I know will only be on xbox live.

The console has just been released. There are always initial problems at launch, I'm sure Microsoft will get around to releasing a patch.

Badgerst3

<vent>
This will NOT happen. When will people realize this? Kinect is so ingrained in the system, either get it with the damn camera or don't get the system.

How is this so hard for people here to understand?!
</vent>

So ... NFL App. I wish you could customize your point system. I do not use NFL.com, but I would LOVE the feature.

Maybe I will start a league next year with my wife .... Hrm

I disagree but will drop it here. People are dliuted to think there will not be multiple sku's.

It's a matter of when. Integrated or not, there is a major market for a Kinectless system.

Let's see where we are in the spring. Personally, I don't want to yell at my tv at 12:30am.

Unless i'm in here abiding by your rules then I should go somewhere else? Buying the console isn't enough around here. You better sing the praises from the high hills.

Oh please. Lots of people have posted legitimate concerns in here, just when it comes from a huge console warrior like you people are going to react negatively towards it.

Ami is replying in his... typically colourful fashion to express frustration about the fact that MThanded came here as a sincere participant, trying to discuss stuff with people and get help, and got called out as a fanboy with a secret agenda trying to undermine Xbox. And also got told, literally, that negative opinions weren't welcome here.

It would be our preference if people tried to discuss "fanboys" as little as possible and focused instead on making the thread a good place for discussion, but as you are asking for us to explain why Ami's post is allowed, my answer would be that he appears to be participating in good faith and responding to a group of people who appear to be participating not in good faith.

Of course I would encourage people to adopt a tone that does not encourage derails and further arguments and obviously Ami's tone often leads, whether he's correct or not, to fights in threads. So that's not ideal.

The best move at this juncture would be if subsequent replies to the thread were about Xbox One instead of the psychology of fans of one product or another or calling out groups or individuals for perceived stuff. Let's get it back on track gents.
yep

Sanjuro

Xbox One is the worst console I've ever owned.

...thanks to Amazon! Guaranteed for the 22nd my ass.

idHcodWVt4KEA.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dunno about the YouTube app, haven't tried it yet. But navigating the Netflix and Amazon apps is difficult with voice commands since its a lot of "next page" or "item 1" etc. They need to make it so you can open either of those apps and just use a simple command like "watch Suits season 2" for instance and it would open that show's view.

Yea that would be ideal. Twitch has the Item 1,2...stuff and it works and is serviceable for now. That reminds me, I have to set up some Twitch channels on my One Guide.

Amir0x

Banned

Because it's true. I am simply stating the reality. I've been here for long enough to know it remains true of any official topic for the first month, no matter who the fans are. And as soon as I made the comment, it was immediately confirmed to be true by Hawk's comment asking MTHanded to leave because he didn't want things to start getting negative in here. I want to repeat that this is ABSOLUTELY not unique to Xbox fans. All fanboys do this. It happened even in the thread for Ghost Trick. I was the first person to extensively detail my issues with that game in that topic, and i had three pages straight of people attacking me instead of any of the points I made. It's a fanboy thing.

If you don't want it to be true, then take the steps required to make it not true. Instead of trying to isolate those with criticisms, embrace them and try to understand where they are coming from. Ask why they have these problems. Explain how your experience differs from theirs. Elaborate on how you think you can make their life easier, maybe they're not using it properly.

What should not be the case, and yet what always is the case, is whenever an official topic comes and someone wants to express their criticisms, eighty people jump on them, often attacking the individual instead of his points raised, desperately trying everything to try to stifle the commentary so that it doesn't "spread." It does not help constructive conversation.

That you felt the need to try to appeal to a mod like a little rat is on you; the truth remains the truth either way.

Awesome, and thanks dudes.

How is Kinect to set up btw? When I get the X1, it will be my first experience with the device, so I'm interested in how easy it is to get working.

I actually skipped the Kinect set up. I was in a hurry to start playing DR3. Kinect still works even without a set up, but I imagine it would probably work better if I had gone through the set up process.

You can set up auto login via the settings menu if you decide to skip the set up process. I did it earlier, but it's very annoying there's no option to auto login if you don't have it set up with Kinect.

I disagree but will drop it here. People are dliuted to think there will not be multiple sku's.

It's a matter of when. Integrated or not, there is a major market for a Kinectless system.

Let's see where we are in the spring. Personally, I don't want to yell at my tv at 12:30am.

With a few small UI changes (more tabs basically), they could easily do Kinectless 399$ SKU.

Sanjuro

Enough console wars shit.

I need to know...is the Pizza Hut app back for the Xbox One? If so, how are the graphics?

This is important.

golem

That you felt the need to try to appeal to a mod like a little rat is on you; the truth remains the truth either way.

That's pretty uncalled for. The poster was just asking for a rules clarification/reminder which is sometimes useful, no need to throw elbows.

FrankT

Who cares about MThanded guy is all over the place and if he can't figure out his own purchases or what to keep or whatever then forget it. Don't hold his hand in this nonsense.

Top Bottom