• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Hindle

Banned
With a few small UI changes (more tabs basically), they could easily do Kinectless 399$ SKU.

Microsoft are aiming for the mass market with Kinect, they currently have software in development for the device, as well as studios dedicated to it. They'll cut the price but Kinect isn't going anywhere, at least not for a long time.

Amir0x

Banned
Once I got used to the controls, it is pure old school bliss. It really doesn't control anything like Panzer Dragoon, but once I adapted (took a few missions), I'm a pro now. I don't understand all the stuff with the upgrades yet, but the wingman is cool because you can tell him where to go, like if you have enemies coming from in front and behind, you can send him behind you, for instance.

The grading system is super satisfying too... each mission has like 5 checkpoints, like mini missions, and you get graded on them instantly during the mission. I'm having a ton of fun, and would recommend it to anyone from the Saturn era of gaming, if you know what I mean. Looking forward to unlocking everything.

Oh thank you. I was very concerned when people starting talking about microtransactions in this game too, as Crimson Dragon is my most anticipated next-gen full stop. I really wanted it to work out. Seems it's all sunshine. Since I trust your perspective, you're on my trusted GAFers list, I feel I can take this opinion to heart :D

Do you have the system? The UI is made for the Kinect and it is lined with Win 8 in design. The UI is not going anywhere. MS did not put all that money into the Kinect tech to drop it, no matter what some random forum board thinks.

I think people will be waiting a long time. A very long time (i.e. not going to happen). But we shall see.

I used it quite extensively at my friends house for a day. I'd say 1 in 4 voice commands failed, and using the controller only made the UI seem extremely mediocre. So to me, both methods were not where they should be, and I still would prefer the controller since that is always reliable. But that's just me. I prefer dependability and efficiency in my UI, and dependability comes first, so I'll take slightly slower navigation speeds with a controller over voice commands, since for me it was an exercise in frustration.

In the end, it is not necessary. You can do almost everything you need to do without it; in fact you can toss it straight in the garbage and still have a perfectly functional Xbox One that does anything you'd want. And I'm sure any quirks that are not there yet will be patched in and it'll be perfect with a controller too eventually, ending even the nuance in this debate.

You may ultimately end up correct, but I suspect they will go with a Kinectless SKU. What matters is winning the console war and maximizing profit, not bulletpoints for fans.

The voice recognition is definitely better than 360 but still has a way to go. Apparently it learns and gets better as it goes along, I'll believe it when I see it. It's magical when it works, whatever the opposite of magical is when it doesn't.

The Xbox One stuff is like the uncanny valley of interfaces, lol. It does a lot of things well, and does seem "magical" when it all works, but it makes the random little quirks and issues all the more noticeable because of that.

Sobriquet

Just dropping this in here for the Lulz cos its funny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25037562

Video on the bottom....

"Xbox Bing"
"Newsbeat"

Brings up HEAT the movie

"Yes, I think the voice recognition is, I'd say a lot better than it is on the Xbox 360... So I'd say an improvement in my book"

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT?

I didn't watch the video, but doesn't Bing only bring up content on or available on the console?

operon

After having it for a couple of days I love it. Controller is amazing truly amazing. Voice commands are fantastic when the work, at time they don't only once have I got it to turn on with my voice. I think they changed a few things like friends and party chat and not for the better. Getting into a party is far more work that it should be. Chat sounds quality is amazing. All in all am enjoying it though there are things they need fixing

Sanjuro

Is the power brick suppose to be making a loud noise when my Xbox one is off.

My guess is, yes. The old one would remain on after being unplugged for a few moments. This one is supposed to have a fan built in, so I imagine it will do something similar.

The voice recognition is definitely better than 360 but still has a way to go. Apparently it learns and gets better as it goes along, I'll believe it when I see it. It's magical when it works, whatever the opposite of magical is when it doesn't.

It'll evolve and fast. A day 1 vs year 1 comparison will be night and day, no doubt.

still the best bit for me is the new controller. Never can play a racing game without these triggers. Hoping BF4 takes advantage of the triggers also.

I have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer:

1. Is there any way to adjust the party chat volume? Whenever I'm playing CoD Ghosts it drowns out the game sound and I can barely hear anything.

2. How do you invite people just to the game? Whenever I invite people to the game through Ghost's internal friends list it invites the person to the party chat and then they join.

Only issue i've had is that whenever I turned my console on it doesn't recognise me. Its easily fixed with a "Xbox, show my stuff", i've tried re-doing the visual recognition but wonder if its because my Macbook Pro is close to the camera that it doesn't get a full image of me.

(TV is wallmouted and I have my consoles + kinect and MBP all on my desk)

golem

The Xbox One stuff is like the uncanny valley of interfaces, lol. It does a lot of things well, and does seem "magical" when it all works, but it makes the random little quirks and issues all the more noticeable because of that.

Yeah thats the problem with interfaces like Siri... it works well enough that when it fails its incredibly disappointing.

Bsigg12

I wonder when the first update will be. I hope they pull away from the 2 major updates a year methodology and switch it up to be fixing things weekly and adding features quarterly.

man I know gafs mantra of "I just want it to play games" is something we all agree with but dammit if this isn't an easier sale on the girlfriend/wifey.

Took my one away from my monitor setup and finally got it hooked up in the living room for football sunday and goddamn....this shit is beyond impressive. No remotes, just laying on my couch eating pizza while fucking around on my phone.

So next gen

omfg Cam why you throw dat

I really enjoy my Xbox One. I had the beta box checked for 5.1 sound on my Onkyo, yet still noticed no 5.1 sound coming from my Direct. I guess that's because I had 7.1 PCM checked off. I unchecked that and checked the DTS on the bottom and BOOM, I'm watching Chargers/Chiefs with 5.1 going.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
man I know gafs mantra of "I just want it to play games" is something we all agree with but dammit if this isn't an easier sale on the girlfriend/wifey.

Took my one away from my monitor setup and finally got it hooked up in the living room for football sunday and goddamn....this shit is beyond impressive. No remotes, just laying on my couch eating pizza while fucking around on my phone.

So next gen

omfg Cam why you throw dat
Yeah ,what was that.

Klocker

Anybody else having issues where xone only sees the NAT as strict even when 360 and other devices are using UPnP and Nat-t to see as open?

I got it to see it as open by clearing the mac address (advance network)and a reboot but later went back to strict

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody else having issues where xone only sees the NAT as strict even when 360 and other devices are using UPnP and Nat-t to see as open?

I got it to see it as open by clearing the mac address and a reboot but later went back to strict

Yeah, I have been having issues to., but I have had problems with the 360 as well. My IP address changed on my X1, why would it do that. I also can't open the 80 TCP port. Said it is already in use?

Klocker

Yeah, I have been having issues to., but I have had problems with the 360 as well. My IP address changed on my X1, why would it do that. I also can't open the 80 TCP port. Said it is already in use?

Damn

Yes im using a adsl gateway now and going to try and add a router to it and see if that works

no problem getting on live at all just unable to join matchmaking in AC4

Hawk269

I disagree but will drop it here. People are dliuted to think there will not be multiple sku's.

It's a matter of when. Integrated or not, there is a major market for a Kinectless system.

Let's see where we are in the spring. Personally, I don't want to yell at my tv at 12:30am.

Thing is, you don't have the yell as you put it. I can speak softly and in a low tone and it still picks me up perfectly. If you did the calibration properly (turned up your speaker system as instructed) it does a good job at picking up your voice even when you speak softly.

It'll evolve and fast. A day 1 vs year 1 comparison will be night and day, no doubt.

still the best bit for me is the new controller. Never can play a racing game without these triggers. Hoping BF4 takes advantage of the triggers also.
Yeah the triggers are amazing. Love the feeling you get when you switch gears in Forza, really authentic.

Hawk269

I wonder when the first update will be. I hope they pull away from the 2 major updates a year methodology and switch it up to be fixing things weekly and adding features quarterly.

There is going to be a lot of smaller updates for a while is what I think will happen. The 2 major updates on 360 were usually met with new features etc. There are plenty of little things they need to fix that would require smaller updates and that is what I am expecting. I am sure there are things they wanted to have but ran out of time and those are the things that we will get with smaller updates.

I just hope they are very proactive and keep fixing all the little things to make it even better.

nikos

Amidst my indecision of whether or not I should keep the XBone, I decided to buy Ryse. I only have Forza at the moment, making it harder to decide. My logic is that I need something else to push me one way or another.

BlindRage

Looking around under the achievements tab, do you guys remember how we could click on the tab that would show you how many games you completed and the order that you did? Is that a thing of the past.. I hope not.

Bsigg12

Yeah the triggers are amazing. Love the feeling you get when you switch gears in Forza, really authentic.

I got scared by them the first time they were used in DR3. I didn't know that with guns as you get close to being out of ammo the triggers vibrate, which is fucking awesome and hope FPSes adopt it, so I kinda freaked out a little when it happened the first time.

I disagree but will drop it here. People are dliuted to think there will not be multiple sku's.

It's a matter of when. Integrated or not, there is a major market for a Kinectless system.

Let's see where we are in the spring. Personally, I don't want to yell at my tv at 12:30am.

I haven't yelled at my team one time to get it to hear me. This thing is working great for me when it comes to voice commands. I talk to my X1 calm and crisp. Works almost every time so far.

MaulerX

Whoa! What happened here!?

something about tossing Kinect "straight in the garbage". Seriously, come on now...

You can do almost everything you need to do without it; in fact you can toss it straight in the garbage and still have a perfectly functional Xbox One that does anything you'd want.

There is so much wrong with this statement in so many ways... It's just... Wow.

There is going to be a lot of smaller updates for a while is what I think will happen. The 2 major updates on 360 were usually met with new features etc. There are plenty of little things they need to fix that would require smaller updates and that is what I am expecting. I am sure there are things they wanted to have but ran out of time and those are the things that we will get with smaller updates.

I just hope they are very proactive and keep fixing all the little things to make it even better.

I'm expecting a bunch of smaller updates as well, at least I hope that's the case.

dejay

Banned
Wow, this thread. I go to sleep and look what happens!

MThanded's style seemed to grate on some people. He's never sure on any purchasing decision and asks a lot of questions. That's about the extent of his agenda.

I was getting frustrated with mine so I did another calibration and I was flying through shit. Perhaps try that.

No Love

Banned
I'm curious myself. Might be from OT section.

I think it's from this topic, he was being aggressive to other posters and derailing it. IDK, maybe PM a mod or something.

It wasn't nearly as bad as what he used to do in the Breakng Bad OT though during Season 5. :p

Bsigg12

One thing that I saw someone else mention that helped me was to really turn up your volume when you're calibrating the microphone.

Yea I had mine uncomfortably loud when I did it and I rarely have issues with voice commands outside of remembering the actual commands.

Kalm

I got it to see it as open by clearing the mac address (advance network)and a reboot but later went back to strict

I had similar problems.

This resolved it for me:

- Shut down the X1. Off, not standby.
- Disable UPnP and NAT-PMP in your router.
- Delete any manual port-forwards setup for the X1.
- Power cycle your router. (Unplug, wait a bit, replug)
- Enable UPnP. Leave NAT-PMP disabled for now. (If you really need it for other devices, you can enable it later.)
- Start up the X1 and check NAT status.

Amidst my indecision of whether or not I should keep the XBone, I decided to buy Ryse. I only have Forza at the moment, making it harder to decide. My logic is that I need something else to push me one way or another.

I'm having sh*tloads of fun in DR3 right now. I'd say try that.

Also, you might as well pick up the free versions of KI and Kinect Sports.

Anyone else having trouble with joining party chats sometimes?
Yesterday morning my buddies and I couldn't join a party together, but later that day we could.
Now, this morning we can't join together :/

Yea I had mine uncomfortably loud when I did it and I rarely have issues with voice commands outside of remembering the actual commands.

I redid the calibration earlier today because I was having some trouble with commands when watching TV but now I can reliably send commands to the Kinnect with a music video playing on my laptop and the tv turned up fairly loud along with the usual noises of my apartment.

Edit:

Related to this I wish I could select how much the xbox turns down/up my volume when I give it the appropriate commands.

CaLe

My controller does not work properly. Pressing down on the DPAD does nothing unless I press hard and multiple times on it. Also, the Thumb-stick goes left or right sometimes when I push it upwards. I'm seriously bummed.

What can I do ?

Wookieomg

Just a follow-up to my issues I had from the other day, and for any that may have a similar issue... My controller was malfunctioning, and I couldn't get past the initial setup on my Xbox One. The screen with the controller and the flashing Xbox button was where my journey ended, evidently due to a faulty controller that couldn't connect wirelessly with the system, only via USB cable. All was well once I connected the controller directly, but I could still only use it when it was plugged in.

I spoke with MS support and they're going to send me another controller after I ship out the faulty one. I don't know if my wireless-less controller issue is a one-off problem or if it's more widespread than I'm aware of, but for those that may have the issue at startup, connect it via USB, and if that works, try disconnecting it and seeing if it works after... If not, you'll have to contact MS support.

Hope this helps someone else!

RdN

Guys,

Is it normal that the power brick stays always on?

My Xbox is set for powering on with "Xbox, on", is it on because of that?

Top Bottom