• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Just a follow-up to my issues I had from the other day, and for any that may have a similar issue... My controller was malfunctioning, and I couldn't get past the initial setup on my Xbox One. The screen with the controller and the flashing Xbox button was where my journey ended, evidently due to a faulty controller that couldn't connect wirelessly with the system, only via USB cable. All was well once I connected the controller directly, but I could still only use it when it was plugged in.

I spoke with MS support and they're going to send me another controller after I ship out the faulty one. I don't know if my wireless-less controller issue is a one-off problem or if it's more widespread than I'm aware of, but for those that may have the issue at startup, connect it via USB, and if that works, try disconnecting it and seeing if it works after... If not, you'll have to contact MS support.

Hope this helps someone else!

Weird. I hit the same issue at setup time. But After the Xbox was setup, the controller could sync perfectly fine over wifi.

Wookieomg

Weird. I hit the same issue at setup time. But After the Xbox was setup, the controller could sync perfectly fine over wifi.

Yeah, I tried everything I could think of. Connected and reconnected multiple times, turned the system off and on multiple times, unplugged and plugged everything back in, checked the surrounding area for any potential interference, etc etc... It was just not wanting to cooperate. :( I bought a second controller yesterday and it worked like a charm, so I confirmed that it wasn't my system with the malfunctioning wireless signal, just the controller.

malfcn

Fiancee is laying Just Dance and she wanted to buy a song. The total was $2.99 and she had $3 but it wanted a card to buy it. Tax?

Nevermind, she did buy it and it was another song she wanted to buy.

Yeah, I tried everything I could think of. Connected and reconnected multiple times, turned the system off and on multiple times, unplugged and plugged everything back in, checked the surrounding area for any potential interference, etc etc... It was just not wanting to cooperate. :( I bought a second controller yesterday and it worked like a charm, so I confirmed that it wasn't my system with the malfunctioning wireless signal, just the controller.

that sucks man. It'd be really frustrating to hit that day one. I had a borked powersupply as well, but due to, erm connections, I got that sorted out.

fernoca

Hmm..is there any trick on getting the command "Xbox On" to work?

A friend and I can't get it to work, no matter what. We know it needs to be on "standby", and "Xbox Record That", "Xbox Turn Off" work without problem. Kinectalso recognizes me without any problem; so far is the only thing that I (we) cant' get to work. I don't mind much, but my friend was asking if it was just him.

Guys,

Is it normal that the power brick stays always on?

My Xbox is set for powering on with "Xbox, on", is it on because of that?

Yep. When it's fully off it turns to orange.

A friend and I can't get it to work, no matter what. We know it needs to be on "standby", and "Xbox Record That", "Xbox Turn Off" work without problem. Kinectalso recognizes me without any problem; so far is the only thing that I (we) cant' get to work. I don't mind much, but my friend was asking if it was just him.

try to recalibrate kinect

First: I have a question: Does someone know how Skype-sign-ins works? If it's activated after I signed in, my Girlfriends joins me on the couch, Kinect recognises her and signs her in (on the system, not on skype), then I leave for work.... then I think I'm still the skype-account that's active?!?? Does she have to sign me off in skype manually and sign herself in manually?!??
Should we make a caller-group "me and GF infront of TV?" and... can we even do that?!?

Yep if he wants english he will have to choose an english region until they add english as a german option. I think they said they were working on this but do not know what the final word was.

This is SOOO dumb. I'd go as far as calling it discrimination of minorities. A lot of countries don't even have a "national language" because the accept and endorse diversity.

I know this sounds ignorant, but I (personally) could have lived better with their DRM and Always-On bullshit than with this.

Options I want:
System Language: German
Kinect Language: English
Marketplace: German (but can be switched without reboot and not tied to IP or credit card region)
Game Language: English
[Subtitle-options if they ever make Kinect talk with us]

FLIP THAT S*W*I*T*C*H!!!

Sean

Banned
Guys,

Is it normal that the power brick stays always on?

My Xbox is set for powering on with "Xbox, on", is it on because of that?

Yup by default the Xbox goes into a standby mode (low power mode that listens for the "Xbox On" command and I think can download game patches/updates).

If you want to truly have your Xbox turn completely off you can do so under Settings > Power (but then you'll also have to deal with the long 1 min+ cold boot load time).

Are you in front on the Kinect? I couldn't get it to work until I sat right in front of the Kinect, now it works all the time.

Honestly, I'm curious as to what reviewers were doing wrong when they said Kinect doesn't work very often. Its been working for me perfectly since Day One when I learned all commands. Had a problem for the first hour since I didn't know what to say "Xbox, Off" instead of "Xbox, Turn Off", "Xbox, Redeem code" instead of "Xbox, Use a Code". Etc. After I figured out the commands Kinect is just flawless. Works perfectly I love it.

jem0208

Apparently people are being banned from using Upload studio and Skype for swearing:

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1rd0su/psa_for_upload_studio_do_not_use_any_profanity/

I made a video and said a bad word (not really a swear in my opinion, but I do understand their displeasure - the nickname of the name Richard) and now I am not able to put Kinect videos on my uploads or upload gameplay at all. I have no idea how long this will last.

Woah, this just happened to me. Was typing to my buddy on Skype, typed a few words of profanity talking about movies, and when I jumped back to Xbox One, it said I was banned from it.

Another guy said this in the comments:

Wow, so that's probably why I'm banned from Skype, I uploaded a video and said check this shit out. Just checked also can't use upload studio. Does anyone know if you can set upload studios videos to friends only? If I ever get unbanned.

MaulerX

Are you in front on the Kinect? I couldn't get it to work until I sat right in front of the Kinect, now it works all the time.

Honestly, I'm curious as to what reviewers were doing wrong when they said Kinect doesn't work very often. Its been working for me perfectly since Day One when I learned all commands. Had a problem for the first hour since I didn't know what to say "Xbox, Off" instead of "Xbox, Turn Off", "Xbox, Redeem code" instead of "Xbox, Use a Code". Etc. After I figured out the commands Kinect is just flawless. Works perfectly I love it.

Pretty much exactly what you said for me. Once Kinect gets properly calibrated to your personal space it works pretty darn good. One issue I had initially is that Kinect was not seeing my entire body but then when you calibrate it I learned that Kinect has a manual tilt where you can adjust it.

jem0208

Game Reviewers and Journalist from Popular websites...imo, most of them....have been ruining gaming since the beginning of last gen.

I'll just speak for my favorite genre. American Football gaming.

Sure it's easy to point to EA..and rightfully so, but reviewers for along time now (just recently changed their tune) but for a long time now have not held EA Sports accountable for their product. Have been corporate apologists and have helped spread lies for the series.

they have also helped hold back the genre....from complaining that making it a sim is too hard for them, to slamming any potential competition that is trying to advance the genre with unfair reviews, to lies. Not giving the benefit of the doubt for the new up start competition, yet giving excuses left and right for EA Sports.

now that is just for my favorite genre.

have game reviewers helped advance gaming for your favorite genre? or have they annoyingly tried to hold it back?

Wrong thread maybe? :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I'm having trouble turning my xbox on with voice and it keeps asking me to sign in with the controller. Voice works fine once I'm in.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

jem0208

I don't believe this at all. Imagine the shit storm if you get banned for swearing in private skype conversations. It has to be something unrelated.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm pretty sure that swearing on an Upload Studio video gets you banned from using US and Skype.

That's if it is true.

I don't believe this at all. Imagine the shit storm if you get banned for swearing in private skype conversations. It has to be something unrelated.

Like I posted in the other thread, the guy didn't get a notification from Microsoft that he was banned and someone else on that page even talked to MS support who told him that he wasn't banned so I have a feeling it's just an Upload Studio bug.

I don't believe this at all. Imagine the shit storm if you get banned for swearing in private skype conversations. It has to be something unrelated. Especially as skype conversations are assumed to be private.

They better be private! My buddy and I want to have a wife show privately in 1080p one day!

MaulerX

For some reason I'm having trouble turning my xbox on with voice and it keeps asking me to sign in with the controller. Voice works fine once I'm in.

But if your system is of how can it tell you to sign in with the controller? Maybe you mean signing in to your profile?

Is the left thumb stick not as responsive for you guys?

Other than that I am truly amazed by this console. I am very very happy. Once the little bugs are worked out, I really feel the next 7 years with this machine will be magical.

I'm not saying this as a fanboy, but I just look at my PS4 and have no desire to even pick up the controller.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Like I posted in the other thread, the guy didn't get a notification from Microsoft that he was banned and someone else on that page even talked to MS support who told him that he wasn't banned so I have a feeling it's just an Upload Studio bug.
That's what I'm thinking.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
But if your system is of how can it tell you to sign in with the controller? Maybe you mean signing in to your profile?

Yeah, it won't turn on with my voice. So I start it with the controller. Then it doesn't recognize me I guess so I sign in with the controller.

"Xbox On" was working before?

sith ewok

So, no way to see a list of people that you have played with online? (Trying to ask one more time. Wondering if I've somehow ended up on everyone's ignore list.)

The dude going on about Skype bannings is probably trying to start a hot rumour. 0% chance it would happen.

Would be a good way of MS admitting they tap into all skype communications as well, it is meant to be encrypted.

Entrecôte;91146385 said:
The dude going on about Skype bannings is probably trying to start a hot rumour. 0% chance it would happen.

Would be a good way of MS admitting they tap into all skype communications as well, it is meant to be encrypted.

Yeah, if they truly are listening in on conversations that would have a huge effect on Skype especially for businesses.

R3TRODYCE

Oh man after playing a good bit of Ryse I must say that it is easily the best looking next gen game across both consoles. I was in awe at Killzone and NFS rivals but this game just blew me away.

MaulerX

Yeah, it won't turn on with my voice. So I start it with the controller. Then it doesn't recognize me I guess so I sign in with the controller.

"Xbox On" was working before?

Go to settings, right under "About me", click on "Sign-in, security & passkey". Turn on Kinect sign in and if anything hit the "Reset Kinect sign-in data" to start again. Also, under "Power & startup", make sure the correct boxes are checked. "Xbox on" didn't work for me at first but now it just works.

Majanew

Banned
So I have to get up and hold the power button on the system to get it to fully turn off instead of going into standby? Is that the only way?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Go to settings, right under "About me", click on "Sign-in, security & passkey". Turn on Kinect sign in and if anything hit the "Reset Kinect sign-in data" to start again. Also, under "Power & startup", make sure the correct boxes are checked. "Xbox on" didn't work for me at first but now it just works.

I will give that a try, thanks.

So I have to get up and hold the power button on the system to get it to fully turn off instead of going into standby? Is that the only way?

Does the controller option work, like on 360 (holding down guide button, and turning it off from there)?

Also, I hope I don't get banned for cursing in videos, cuz uh...yeah

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The voice stuff is fucking good, especially with the Xbox Music Pass. While I'm cleaning:

"Xbox On"
"Xbox Bing"
"Albums by Pink" (which ended up with a search Music - Pink)
"Funhouse"
"Play album"

Worked perfectly, didn't have to stop what I was doing and doing it with a controller would have taken a few mins.

Brilliant stuff.

Got my kid the console, after reading about drive issues would it make sense to test and do updates before wrapping it up?

Worried about him seeing from my gamertag I've been using it though, don't want to ruin the surprise.

Top Bottom