• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Klocker

I had similar problems.

This resolved it for me:

- Shut down the X1. Off, not standby.
- Disable UPnP and NAT-PMP in your router.
- Delete any manual port-forwards setup for the X1.
- Power cycle your router. (Unplug, wait a bit, replug)
- Enable UPnP. Leave NAT-PMP disabled for now. (If you really need it for other devices, you can enable it later.)
- Start up the X1 and check NAT status.

I'm having sh*tloads of fun in DR3 right now. I'd say try that.

Also, you might as well pick up the free versions of KI and Kinect Sports.

Thanks I tried similar but not exactly ...I rebooted router not power off and i re-enabled nat pmp with upnp yesterday but that didn't work.

Might try that later but just now added a router to gateway and opened nat. Evidently if isp blocks nat before it hits gateway that may be the only way... but it could be the process you described would work for me as well, similar to what MS help on xbox one nat issues describes

Going to post some brief impressions having spent some "considerable" (see: ignores all else in life) time with this in past 3 days.

UI: Works wonderfully with my voice commands. Lags more than I would like between apps (friends, TV, my profile, etc) but still very smooth. My only complaints are that it's a new ecosystem and, thus, can be hard to navigate at first even with the option to pin to home. With that said, some streamlining here would help considerably and I'm sure it'll get better.

Watching TV:: Personally, my favorite feature of the UI. Works flawlessly. Sounds great. Looks beautiful. My DVR recordings are darkened and sound output there is stereo. Being that I'm new to Cable TV, I'm unsure if this is a DVR or Xbox issue. Everything else works fine. The TV Guide doesn't pick up on a few channels that my cable box does. Hope that gets fixed too. Voice commands for navigating the TV Guide is a mess right now.

Ryse: So, having swapped so many disks in and out of both my PS4 and Xbox One, for some reason, the game I was dreading most winds up being the one that is in my tray the most. If I can summarize this, i would describe it as an arcade brawler with 'through the roof' production values. Everything from the beautiful music, visuals, set pieces, mo cap work and acting is done so very well here. It may be good enough to have you overlook everything else that's been under a lens for past few weeks on this site (QTE context, enemy variety, etc).

With that said, I find the combat to be addictive when you start to learn to control the flow of the battle. Being surrounded by 5-7 barbarians and setting up double executions while avoiding your combo chain from being broken is a thing. Yes, you can button mash your way here despite the suggested color QTE, but there is still very much a lot in your control. The game also has a sense of urgency and, often, dread to it that keeps me going. I want to protect my men, I want to unleash two executions, I do want to see the story through, and I do want to upgrade all my executions and skills.

Forza:: the game I was anticipating most and why I leaned on Xbox one as my first next gen console choice (Though I did buy PS4 too). Plays really well and the rumble in the triggers are fun. Love playing in "cockpit" mode. With that said, a tad disappointment sinks in for me. 14 tracks (?), very very generic music (really not so much of an issue once I get my own music on the box), some very slight screen tearing on roads for me catches my attention and maybe missing some thrills here on some of these circuits. Some of the magic is lost and I cannot, for the life of me, put my finger to it. I think variety may be it. I get out of one league (which can have up to 6 races) in one circuit only to see that there's more before fully completing that circuit but I keep asking what the differences are if the tracks are all the same.

Mechanically, however, it is rock solid.

Dead Rising 3: I wish I could offer some insight here but I'm running into an issue wherein the game kicks me out to UI at the exact same time lapse and location in game. Unsure, but this may be disk related. Tried reinstalling but to no avail.

Summary: With all that said, I'm absolutely loving this console. I hope they work out the kinks, streamline the user experience. Still can't help but hope that they upgrade the specs later but wishful thinking :(

Going to pick up Crimson Dragon (I've played Orta more times than I can count) and Killer Instinct next week.

Got my kid the console, after reading about drive issues would it make sense to test and do updates before wrapping it up?

Worried about him seeing from my gamertag I've been using it though, don't want to ruin the surprise.

I'd definitely recommend checking and as a bonus, you'll have updated it for him so no pesky waiting times for him when he unwraps it.

If you're worried about him seeing you're using one, you could always delete him from your F.L until after you're done checking it...

Hawk269

Anyone else notice how much better Audio is with the Xbox One. Forza and Battlefield 4 sound amazing. I have a Denon 7.1 Receiver with the matching speaker set up and my games never sounded better.

Is it possible to switch focus on snapped apps so the main screen and sidebar switch? Did a Skype call with TV snapped to the side but couldn't get it so TV was larger and Skype was snapped to the side.

Klocker

Oh man after playing a good bit of Ryse I must say that it is easily the best looking next gen game across both consoles. I was in awe at Killzone and NFS rivals but this game just blew me away.

i hope both of these get demos. Please :)

I have AC4 and the resolution looks fine but you can see it is a cross gen title...
Forza 5 is beautiful too but 1080p /60 needed some sacrifices.... NBA2k is beautiful too

But I think NFS and Ryse are the top of the mountain for launch games (from vids and feedback). Want to see on my tv

I'd definitely recommend checking and as a bonus, you'll have updated it for him so no pesky waiting times for him when he unwraps it.

If you're worried about him seeing you're using one, you could always delete him from your F.L until after you're done checking it...

Yeah that might work well, I thought rather than testing a game a DVD would show up any problems just the same?

R3TRODYCE

i hope both of these get demos. Please :)

I have AC4 and the resolution looks fine but you can see it is a cross gen title...
Forza 5 is beautiful too but 1080p /60 needed some sacrifices.... NBA2k is beautiful too

But I think NFS and Ryse are the top of the mountain for launch games (from vids and feedback). Want to see on my tv

Yeah they have both made my jaw drop; At first I was like eh it's EA so it'll be cross gen garbage but then I saw it on my tv and ate crow.

Klocker

Shame. Complete downgrade from the 360.

Yea custom soundtracks or running any bg music with a game is a sad omission

One of my few complaints so far..

Hoping it is one of those features slated for future updating. This os is amazing considering they probably only competed it at the last minute... can not wait to see the hot updates that will continue to trickle out with fixes and feature adds

Can I just say I love the clips feature, watching people's clips is great and the quality is so good it's like having the game run natively on your system. Once they add live broadcast it's going to be amazing.

Babetronic

Neo Member
Hi gaffers, first post here.
I need to report a serious issue with the analog sticks. They become loose after few hours of gaming, see gif below.
It's an european "DAY ONE 2013" controller, i first noticed it this morning moving the analog sticks from up to down and vice versa.
Did anyone reported this issue before?

07HiT9q.gif

Klocker

What kinect mounts are people using?

I found my gesture issues were because my Kinect is too low, when i temporarily attached it on top, it worked much better.

Hawk269

Anyone wonder how MS was able to make the Blu Ray drive almost silent? Other than the noise it makes when you insert/remove a disk, it is virtually silent. Even when reading off the disk it is silent. My PS4 is really loud when it does the initial seeking, like when I play a game and it checks if the disk is in the system it is pretty loud, but then it stops. On the One, it makes no noise at all.

Hawk269

What kinect mounts are people using?

I found my gesture issues were because my Kinect is too low, when i temporarily attached it on top, it worked much better.

I have a shelf above my TV for my center speaker. I just moved it back and put the Kinect on it. I am waiting to receive the official Kinect TV mount from Best Buy. I also heard you can make a "make-shift" mount by using a CD jewel case to put above your TV.

It's sounding like I wasn't that insane to have a little faith in Ryse after all. I'm almost surprised at the number of gaffers that have good things to say, but I guess you really don't know till you get hands on with these things..

I just came back into my office and sat down, message pops up "Hi, Sean"

I feel loved.
I love that, and also the sad sound it makes when you walk away.

Did a Skype call today with the in-laws so we could all chat and they could see the baby bopping around the living room. I felt like we were one of those AT&T "You Will" commercials. Killer feature.

Evo_Nine

Banned
Anyone else notice how much better Audio is with the Xbox One. Forza and Battlefield 4 sound amazing. I have a Denon 7.1 Receiver with the matching speaker set up and my games never sounded better.

I did straight away on the same games as you.

I was especially impressed with forza. The cars which I currently have (Type R and RX7) sounds exactly as they should in real life and going through the stadiums you get an awesome echo going.

Hearing a GTR scream by me at full throttle is just....amazing.

Im so happy at the moment with how these games are turning out.

Going to post some brief impressions having spent some "considerable" (see: ignores all else in life) time with this in past 3 days.

UI: Works wonderfully with my voice commands. Lags more than I would like between apps (friends, TV, my profile, etc) but still very smooth. My only complaints are that it's a new ecosystem and, thus, can be hard to navigate at first even with the option to pin to home. With that said, some streamlining here would help considerably and I'm sure it'll get better.

Watching TV:: Personally, my favorite feature of the UI. Works flawlessly. Sounds great. Looks beautiful. My DVR recordings are darkened and sound output there is stereo. Being that I'm new to Cable TV, I'm unsure if this is a DVR or Xbox issue. Everything else works fine. The TV Guide doesn't pick up on a few channels that my cable box does. Hope that gets fixed too. Voice commands for navigating the TV Guide is a mess right now.

Ryse: So, having swapped so many disks in and out of both my PS4 and Xbox One, for some reason, the game I was dreading most winds up being the one that is in my tray the most. If I can summarize this, i would describe it as an arcade brawler with 'through the roof' production values. Everything from the beautiful music, visuals, set pieces, mo cap work and acting is done so very well here. It may be good enough to have you overlook everything else that's been under a lens for past few weeks on this site (QTE context, enemy variety, etc).

With that said, I find the combat to be addictive when you start to learn to control the flow of the battle. Being surrounded by 5-7 barbarians and setting up double executions while avoiding your combo chain from being broken is a thing. Yes, you can button mash your way here despite the suggested color QTE, but there is still very much a lot in your control. The game also has a sense of urgency and, often, dread to it that keeps me going. I want to protect my men, I want to unleash two executions, I do want to see the story through, and I do want to upgrade all my executions and skills.

Forza:: the game I was anticipating most and why I leaned on Xbox one as my first next gen console choice (Though I did buy PS4 too). Plays really well and the rumble in the triggers are fun. Love playing in "cockpit" mode. With that said, a tad disappointment sinks in for me. 14 tracks (?), very very generic music (really not so much of an issue once I get my own music on the box), some very slight screen tearing on roads for me catches my attention and maybe missing some thrills here on some of these circuits. Some of the magic is lost and I cannot, for the life of me, put my finger to it. I think variety may be it. I get out of one league (which can have up to 6 races) in one circuit only to see that there's more before fully completing that circuit but I keep asking what the differences are if the tracks are all the same.

Mechanically, however, it is rock solid.

Dead Rising 3: I wish I could offer some insight here but I'm running into an issue wherein the game kicks me out to UI at the exact same time lapse and location in game. Unsure, but this may be disk related. Tried reinstalling but to no avail.

Summary: With all that said, I'm absolutely loving this console. I hope they work out the kinks, streamline the user experience. Still can't help but hope that they upgrade the specs later but wishful thinking :(

Going to pick up Crimson Dragon (I've played Orta more times than I can count) and Killer Instinct next week.

Great,well considered impressions.

So the Xbox One has shown me how good the multitasking is.

I'm playing Dead Rising 3 when the wife walks in asking if we want to watch something on Netflix.

Fire up Netflix, but we can't decide what to watch. Wife starts looking at her phone so I fire up Killer Instinct and play a few rounds.

After she's done checking her phone, I switch to Netflix and start watching a film.

Good stuff.

yatesl

Might have already been asked, but is anyone's "SmartGlass for Xbox One" not working? Tried it both on iOS and Windows 8 tablet. My pins etc. are synced to the cloud, it seems, but my devices can't connect. Can't see it automatically, nor can I connect via IP.

Loving the Xbox One so far. I was wondering though has the motto and bio completely disappeared? And is there really no way to disable vibration ? =(

Edit: A wild CBOAT appears.

I am absolutely loving this console there is so much to do and I honestly believe MS deserves more credit for just how ambitious this device is. It's already incredible and the potential for what this thing can evolve to is sky high as well.

One of the huge improvements I noticed first off is the sound quality on the chat headset is crystal clear. It is a huge improvement over the 360 and my PS4.

Another area of surprise is how quiet the console runs even with the BR drive spinning. It is quiet all the way thru and yes it is quieter than even my PS4.

The dashboard/UI is quick and easy to operate and being able to pin your most used stuff is nice too. I have been using my voice since the beginning and have ran into only a few instances where it didn't hear or understand me.

The negative aspects are all things that have been promised to be coming in the future I just hope they come pretty quick.

so uh, audio CD player seems to work fine, though it's super barebones. It's not exactly gonna get a ton of use from me anyway (and I don't think anyone's even mentioned it in this thread), but I just put 3ft High & Rising in, and it did the proper database lookup or whatever. The only other options are for shuffle and repeat. Sound quality is fine I guess, *shrug*

Obviously can't rip or do anything else with it right now though. You also can't rewind or fast forward individual tracks. I give this app a 7/10

So there it is, the definitive Audio CD App review for Xbox One. Add that shit to metacritic.

Top Bottom