• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

LNBL

Would be great if I can't get my hands on a XB1 before I leave for India.

It would have been great if both had the same GPU, I think that's where the main performance difference comes and not the RAM

I'll be very happy if it happens around February, otherwise I might consider importing it or going to Germany to get one.

im started to question the build quality of the controllers. playing killer instinct has caused the seem on the bottom part of the right handle to separate some. Just enough that if I tap on it, I can hear the two halves hit each other. Where as if I tap on the left handle there is no noise because the two halves are clamped together perfectly.

Also, the right stick doesn't click in cleanly. There 2 thinner clicks before the final main click. On the left stick there is one clean click.

I had this as well, took it back to the shop I bought the console from and got a replacement.

Not sure if there is any truth to it but I have read a few times the non day one controllers feel they are of a better build? I might buy one and keep my day one around as a spare.

I picked up both and I can already tell I'll be spending a lot more time in NFS, even with all its flaws. It's just much more raw fun. Honestly I don't even know if I'll be able to go back to Forza.

If I had to guess Forza was rushed this time around to meet XB1's launch. I expect T10 to blow it out of the park again with the next Forza

Sordid

Holy shit, I have to send my controller from the UK to the Czech Republic to get it replaced and then wait up to 28 days to get one back. The replacement is free but I have to pay for the postage myself, checked Royal Mail quickly and they said it'd cost £13.50 (~$22) to send.

:(

If I had to guess Forza was rushed this time around to meet XB1's launch. I expect T10 to blow it out of the park again with the next Forza

I would like to say if they don't I won't be returning to the series as F5 has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth... but I know in the back of my head I will be there regardless. Doh!

Alexalder

Banned
My triggers make a lot of noise when i trow Pila in Ryse, it sounds like a driller and it is really strange at touch, is this normal?
Also first post, hi everyone :D

CaLe

Microsoft Customer Service is pretty much shit. A quick recap, I bought an Xbox One console with a faulty controller. The DPAD doesn't work properly.

I spent 2 hours (I have chat logs to prove it) with a customer service agent in a chat session and that ended up nowhere. Microsoft wants *ME* to pay for shipping for the faulty controller to have it shipped back to them. What the f*cking hell ?

I then called Microsoft instead of trying to talk to someone over chat. I spent an hour (literally) waiting for someone to pick up. He then tells me that he can't do anything because he works in the billing department, and proceeds to transfer me to the Hardware department. How foolish of me to believe him !

The next person to pick up after 30 min tells me the exact same shit, he's from the billing department and can't do anything about it. He then proceeds to transfer me yet again.

I've been waiting for 40 min.

In total, I must have been 4 hours trying to get Microsoft to send me another controller.

Fucking hell.

Edit: For the record, it's a Day One edition controller.

Edit: I was transferred to the Xbox 360 department. TRANSFERRED AGAIN!

derFeef

I start to believe my Day One controller is a bit messed up, the rumble in the left trigger is really loud and has a much more hefty vibration. The thumb sticks click seem to be sticky as well.

Alexalder

Banned
I start to believe my Day One controller is a bit messed up, the rumble in the left trigger is really loud and has a much more hefty vibration. The thumb sticks click seem to be sticky as well.
Same for me with the right one, it makes a really loud strange noise, i'll try to make a video tomorrow

Lima

So for now this is a singleplayer system. Everything there works really well but playing online with your friends, inviting them to matches, party chat etc. is all so unnecessary complicated compared to the 360. I am at a loss for words at how awful it is.

Sordid

Edit: For the record, it's a Day One edition controller.

I start to believe my Day One controller is a bit messed up,.

Same for me with the right one, it makes a really loud strange noise, i'll try to make a video tomorrow

It's my Day One controller that's wonky too. I'm going to give support a shout tomorrow, they never mentioned sending it abroad when I put in my request :/

Klocker

I have a shelf above my TV for my center speaker. I just moved it back and put the Kinect on it. I am waiting to receive the official Kinect TV mount from Best Buy. I also heard you can make a "make-shift" mount by using a CD jewel case to put above your TV.

Ok watching red zone so I just built my own based on the design linked below but instead of velcroing the kinect to mount I drilled a hole through it and found a screw that fit into the threaded sleeve in kinect and then velcroed the mount to tv

Have a thin bezel Samsung but solid as a rock

http://www.instructables.com/id/3-DIY-Kinect-TV-Mount/

Edit
Oh. And turned off Kinect first but handled it like a new born baby... :)

SRTtoZ

So for now this is a singleplayer system. Everything there works really well but playing online with your friends, inviting them to matches, party chat etc. is all so unnecessary complicated compared to the 360. I am at a loss for words at how awful it is.

For real? Didn't Mort say something like this a while ago? It's a shame if so.

p3tran

Banned
The gameplay is fine, I am enjoying it. My only real beef with the game is that the campaign is way too short.

Torro, I didnt know you where rocking an xbone already..
do some great gifs for us the peasants that have not received the console yet :)

and (fake edit) CBOAT
you know we love you. but you fed jargon and made people worry.
to rectify, you must bring GOOD news about xbone (I guess there MUST be a couple of those), to make up for worries caused.
do that, and you are fine with me, and I am a tough cookie on such things.. :)

fritolay

Having played XB1 since Friday, it is just an awesome console. I am not sure about outside of the US, but in the US I think people will really like all the things you can do with it outside of gaming. I think it will be a huge selling point to many. It just looks fancy compared to PS4 UI and features.

I own both consoles. If the PS4 games who a big graphics advantage in time, I may buy more games for it. Until then, I really just enjoy the new Xbox.

I expected more issues this weekend during launch. It has been a pleasant surprise.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Ok watching red zone so I just built my own based on the design linked below but instead of velcroing the kinect to mount I drilled a hole through it and found a screw that fit into the threaded sleeve in kinect and then velcroed the mount to tv

You can use any standard camera stand screw with the Kinect. I am using the Joby GorillaPod of my DSLR with it as a crutch until an official mount becomes available.

dvO29Gq.jpg

I also used it on top of my TV since the stands are designed to be twined around things.

Going to post some brief impressions having spent some "considerable" (see: ignores all else in life) time with this in past 3 days.

UI: Works wonderfully with my voice commands. Lags more than I would like between apps (friends, TV, my profile, etc) but still very smooth. My only complaints are that it's a new ecosystem and, thus, can be hard to navigate at first even with the option to pin to home. With that said, some streamlining here would help considerably and I'm sure it'll get better.

Watching TV:: Personally, my favorite feature of the UI. Works flawlessly. Sounds great. Looks beautiful. My DVR recordings are darkened and sound output there is stereo. Being that I'm new to Cable TV, I'm unsure if this is a DVR or Xbox issue. Everything else works fine. The TV Guide doesn't pick up on a few channels that my cable box does. Hope that gets fixed too. Voice commands for navigating the TV Guide is a mess right now.

Ryse: So, having swapped so many disks in and out of both my PS4 and Xbox One, for some reason, the game I was dreading most winds up being the one that is in my tray the most. If I can summarize this, i would describe it as an arcade brawler with 'through the roof' production values. Everything from the beautiful music, visuals, set pieces, mo cap work and acting is done so very well here. It may be good enough to have you overlook everything else that's been under a lens for past few weeks on this site (QTE context, enemy variety, etc).

With that said, I find the combat to be addictive when you start to learn to control the flow of the battle. Being surrounded by 5-7 barbarians and setting up double executions while avoiding your combo chain from being broken is a thing. Yes, you can button mash your way here despite the suggested color QTE, but there is still very much a lot in your control. The game also has a sense of urgency and, often, dread to it that keeps me going. I want to protect my men, I want to unleash two executions, I do want to see the story through, and I do want to upgrade all my executions and skills.

Forza:: the game I was anticipating most and why I leaned on Xbox one as my first next gen console choice (Though I did buy PS4 too). Plays really well and the rumble in the triggers are fun. Love playing in "cockpit" mode. With that said, a tad disappointment sinks in for me. 14 tracks (?), very very generic music (really not so much of an issue once I get my own music on the box), some very slight screen tearing on roads for me catches my attention and maybe missing some thrills here on some of these circuits. Some of the magic is lost and I cannot, for the life of me, put my finger to it. I think variety may be it. I get out of one league (which can have up to 6 races) in one circuit only to see that there's more before fully completing that circuit but I keep asking what the differences are if the tracks are all the same.

Mechanically, however, it is rock solid.

Dead Rising 3: I wish I could offer some insight here but I'm running into an issue wherein the game kicks me out to UI at the exact same time lapse and location in game. Unsure, but this may be disk related. Tried reinstalling but to no avail.

Summary: With all that said, I'm absolutely loving this console. I hope they work out the kinks, streamline the user experience. Still can't help but hope that they upgrade the specs later but wishful thinking :(

Going to pick up Crimson Dragon (I've played Orta more times than I can count) and Killer Instinct next week.
I had something similar on Forza to the experience you're having on DR3. No matter what, when I got to a certain point it would boot me back to the home menu. I tried a guest profile and that profile was able to get past with no issue, so my guess is it's a corrupted save. Going to research how to delete saves, as I didn't see any clear option on the system. Other than this one issue, loving the machine.

EDIT: Also, careful with Crimson Dragon. If you love Orta, iirc you control the reticle with the same stick as movement, but in Crimson Dragon you use the left stick to move and right stick for reticle. I really dislike this control scheme personally. If it had a Panzer Dragoon/Star Fox scheme I could see playing it a lot more.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Having played XB1 since Friday, it is just an awesome console. I am not sure about outside of the US, but in the US I think people will really like all the things you can do with it outside of gaming. I think it will be a huge selling point to many. It just looks fancy compared to PS4 UI and features.

I honestly don't see much non-gaming stuff that couldn't be or hasn't been done on other consoles. Only snap comes to my mind, and so far this feature hasn't impressed me much. Snapping TV is almost useless due to the missing audio controls.

Iacobellis

Can you go into detail about it?

Kacho

Gold Member
So I have to say, both KI and Dead Rising 3 are Xbox One essentials. Best exclusives hands down. Forza 5 seems alright. Only played for a bit though. Also enjoying AC4 but damn that game is janky as hell.

Wiile it works, it's a lot more hassle than before, which needs fixing. The party stuff is too complicated and confusing.

Watching the GiantBomb guys trying to get it working during the livestream on Friday showed all of that, it was completely demoralizing to watch. I'm going to give them until the new year to sort it out with a UI update instead of fighting with it right now, since that is a fairly large part of my online gaming.

Lima

Can you go into detail about it?

Sure.

I tried to play some Forza with a buddy of mine.

So I loaded up Forza, went into multiplayer. Do some button presses to make a private lobby.

Now tab out of the game and open up the friends app. Now I need to first click on my friend, invite him to the party and game. Then the party snaps to the side. Have to enable the party chat first before we can start talking (at this point I was already pissed off at how much more time it takes compared to the 360). Alright then say Xbox unsnap.

Now back to the game, he joins and we can start to play.

Um yeah.

On 360 that would have taken half the time.

Start the game, go into lobby, press guide button, bring up friends list, hit X to invite and boom we are done.

Majanew

Banned
So I got my first party chat invite and I didn't hold the Xbox button fast enough so I had to go looking for how to get into the party chat that was sent. Never found it so I had to send a party chat invite of my own. What a fuckin nuisance.

And MS banning people for saying Dick in the upload videos? What a bunch of fucking dickheads.

Lima

So I got my first party chat invite and I didn't hold the Xbox button fast enough so I had to go looking for how to get into the party chat that was sent. Never found it so I had to send a party chat invite of my own. What a fuckin nuisance.

Notifications are in the upper left corner, to the left of your profile picture.

fritolay

I honestly don't see much non-gaming stuff that couldn't be or hasn't been done on other consoles. Only snap comes to my mind, and so far this feature hasn't impressed me much. Snapping TV is almost useless due to the missing audio controls.

I don't want to do a console comparison in this thread. I am just saying, the XB1 UI is fancier, more splashy, which will appeal to many people and kinect integration is better than I expected. These combined, makes the XB1 a unique experience as a whole.

FuturusX

I'd say CBOAT is a former QA tester for MS. I wouldn't be suprised if he got fired or replaced. It would explain his recent bias.

Impressive detective work. Now there's this case in London that needs solving. White Chapel. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Bsigg12

Do we have a schedule of upcoming XBone game releases?

I'm gonna need a couple games to hold me over until the heavy hitters drop in spring.

Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare is out in February. Peggle 2 is in December, so hopefully next week! Other then those, no idea of anything before Titanfall.

fritolay

Can you disable your profile activity for when you watch TV? I would rather everyone, or friends, not know when I am watching TV. What games I am playing is good though, so I don't want to turn off activities completely.

Do we have a schedule of upcoming XBone game releases?

I'm gonna need a couple games to hold me over until the heavy hitters drop in spring.

Peggle 2 and Halo: Spartan Assault are both December
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (18th) and Thief (25th) of Feb.
Titanfall is 11th March

D4 is due out in February and Kinect Sports Rivals is Spring sometime.

Bsigg12

Can you disable your profile activity for when you watch TV? I would rather everyone, or friends, not know when I am watching TV. What games I am playing is good though, so I don't want to turn off activities completely.

I think at a minimum you can't change that. You could appear offline if you wanted?

Sure.

I tried to play some Forza with a buddy of mine.

So I loaded up Forza, went into multiplayer. Do some button presses to make a private lobby.

Now tab out of the game and open up the friends app. Now I need to first click on my friend, invite him to the party and game. Then the party snaps to the side. Have to enable the party chat first before we can start talking (at this point I was already pissed off at how much more time it takes compared to the 360). Alright then say Xbox unsnap.

Now back to the game, he joins and we can start to play.

Um yeah.

On 360 that would have taken half the time.

Start the game, go into lobby, press guide button, bring up friends list, hit X to invite and boom we are done.

There is no way it will stay that way. I think it's because they didn't have time, MS is not that ghetto when it comes to UI lol. There are various issues that need to be addressed and hopefully asap. Game library needs to be separate compared to apps and needs organization options. Also you cant see where your local saves are.

Top Bottom