• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

TRios Zen

Is there any way to add kids to the XBox One? After signing myself in, I created a profile for my wife, but I want to add my kids as well. They don't have email addresses or anything. I'm hoping I don't have to create some for them.

I agree, I can not find a way to do this either. One of the "head-scratcher" moments I noted above. IT was simple on the 360, but not easily available on the One. Interesting.

Hammer24

Banned
I have tried going to en-US but it just tells me to add a credit card whenever I try to buy anything.
For some reason it does not let me add PayPal, has that not been added yet?
PayPal and MS funds (in £) only show when it is set to en-UK.

Like I said, haven´t tried paypal yet, so I can´t help there.
But if your account is prefilled with spacebucks, it should work. Lets try something different, which worked for me:
- goto https://store.xbox.com/en-US on your PC
- try to buy a game there
- it´ll tell you that you´re in the wrong "purchase region" or something similar
- it´ll give you the option to change this, displaying a site with different countries you can simply click on
- that´ll get you back to the game and let you purchase it
Worked for me yesterday.

sith ewok

Is there a way to see players met? I can't find anything and i was disconnected from an awesome dead rising game.

Sucks but man that was fun.

I asked a couple of times yesterday without an answer. Seems like there's no way to do it, which feels like a big oversight for the reputation system.

Thanks! Glad to be among you GAF dicks! ;)

You could drop your gamertag now that you can have followers and don't have to accept friend requests... ;)

Astroroot

Banned
The wife loves Xbox Fitness. I hate it. I was only able to get through half of the first Beach Body work out before I threw in the towel. My wife completed all of it. She loves it as well as the KSR demo which she keeps beating me at because my 2 year old keeps getting in the way.

MS needs some kids games for this stat!

dcx4610

My biggest gripes with the Xbone so far...

- No voice recognition. I had thought that Kinect would associate your voice and your face to your profile that way only you could control it. That's not the case at all. Anyone can shout "Xbox ___" commands and the system will respond. I couldn't imagine how horrible that would be if you had a bunch of kids or asshole friends. "Xbox Turn Off!"

- No media streaming. I thought this was the "One" box? Where is my media streaming?

- Internet Explorer. "Sorry, you need Xbox Live Gold to use this feature". Kiss my ass.

I'm just giving Whitta some crap because I remember his over hype of IPad Mini Retina and that product turned out to be junk. Issues galore. Just thought it was funny seeing him hype
Wait, what? The iPad mini retina is fantastic, the best tablet out there. There's almost no argument on this. Couldn't be happier with it. Junk? What issues? "Over hype"? WTF are you talking about?

Like I said, haven´t tried paypal yet, so I can´t help there.
But if your account is prefilled with spacebucks, it should work. Lets try something different, which worked for me:
- goto https://store.xbox.com/en-US on your PC
- try to buy a game there
- it´ll tell you that you´re in the wrong "purchase region" or something similar
- it´ll give you the option to change this, displaying a site with different countries you can simply click on
- that´ll get you back to the game and let you purchase it
Worked for me yesterday.

I got a message from a fellow GAFer stating that you can use CCs from any region as long as the billing address matches the console region. So Borderlinx to the rescue yet again! I'm going to try it later. EDIT: Confirmed it by adding card on Xbox.com.

Its available here: https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Friends?xr=mebarnav#recentPlayers

..but I didn´t see it on the box itself yet either.

Unfortunately any people you met on Xbox One are not shown there. The randoms on FIFA I've played are not shown.

Phreaker

Back at work, what a fun weekend. I have to say I am really impressed. Had a ton of fun with Dead Rising, Forza, and Battlefield this weekend. Only a few hickups with Live, mainly around party chat and BF4 servers. I think I had more fun with the launch games on Xbox One than PS4, but both systems are great.

My controller disconnect a few times from the One. I tried resyncing etc and it didn't help. It's not often, but it should never disconnect when using it normally 10ft away. My 360 and PS controllers never have. I hope they get that resolved via software quickly. Once when it happened it happened to both myself and a buddy playing co-op in Dead Rising. How do both of our controllers disconnected for each of our Ones at the same time many cities away?

Well my console is due to arrive today! Hopefully it gets here before I have to leave for work. So I heard the day one patch is about 2GBs, is this correct?

Hate being at work. WANT TO PLAY KILLER INSTINCT!

BTW... anyone else having OneGuide issues with Comcast? The HD channels are doubled on the guide in Little Rock so it punches in the wrong channels with voice controls. :(

- No voice recognition. I had thought that Kinect would associate your voice and your face to your profile that way only you could control it. That's not the case at all. Anyone can shout "Xbox ___" commands and the system will respond. I couldn't imagine how horrible that would be if you had a bunch of kids or asshole friends. "Xbox Turn Off!"

- No media streaming. I thought this was the "One" box? Where is my media streaming?

- Internet Explorer. "Sorry, you need Xbox Live Gold to use this feature". Kiss my ass.

Doesn't the system come with a 2 week live gold trial? You needed gold on the 360 for IE, dont know why you expected any different for the One.

How is that any different than having a bunch of asshole kids/friends that push the power button on the console?

(Besides, when they say "Xbox, Turn Off" they still have to say "Yes" to confirm - you can just say "No" and cancel it.)

Astroroot

Banned
I agree, I can not find a way to do this either. One of the "head-scratcher" moments I noted above. IT was simple on the 360, but not easily available on the One. Interesting.
Yes, even Windows 8 allows you to create child accounts. This is so stupid. On top of that, Xbox One doesn't seem to register children voices above a certain pitch. My two year old can say "Xbox Watch TV" as clear as day, but it doesn't respond. Now, I'm glad it doesn't because he's a little troll, but I just found that to be curious.

derFeef

Doesn't the system come with a 2 week live gold trial? You needed gold on the 360 for IE, dont know why you expected any different for the One.

It comes with one month even, asked me during setup if I want to try Gold for 30 days.
Not to defend tie IE thing, it's terrible.

Razdek

Banned
Yes, even Windows 8 allows you to create child accounts. This is so stupid. On top of that, Xbox One doesn't seem to register children voices above a certain pitch. My two year old can say "Xbox Watch TV" as clear as day, but it doesn't respond. Now, I'm glad it doesn't because he's a little troll, but I just found that to be curious.

Their focus group probably didn't have kids so it wasn't implemented. The OS seems like a work in progress and it'll be interesting to see how quickly they iterate it or wait until one big release a year which would be a big mistake in my opinion if they go with the latter.

Getting an xbone for xmas had a couple of questions:

I purchased it day one, but won't be able to open it until xmas, Is the day one achievement for those who purchased day one units or signed on, on the 1st day? Probably the latter

What games do you suggest? I got a PS4 already with BF4 and AC4 and hate COD

Hows DR3?
I've heard good things about KI but wasn't sure about grabbing a fighting game as my only thing to play.

Not sure if this was the best place to ask these questions..

Got mine setup and playing games, snapping TV etc on Friday night. Seems like some folks are having tough luck with theirs. First impression is sure it's not a perfect console by any means but I see potential and personally enjoy MSFT expanding functionality beyond gaming *braces for tongue-lashing by GAF.*

Anyways one issue I didn't see mentioned so it might be unique to mine is that while playing a single player game, the game itself triggers the Xbox One to record a clip however then the game crashes and I lose all my progress then it throws me back to the home screen. It's odd because with NBA 2K14 this game-automated Game DVR functionality worked fine at first but now it crashes, and with Ryse this worked perfectly from the start. I haven't played AC IV Black Flag yet but will be today so we'll see. Figured I'd bring it up in case someone else here has experienced it

Pixels

Played with a one at the MS store and holy crap are the load times long. It took forever to switch from KI to Forza and they were both on the HD. MS needs to fix this thing and I'm sure they will.

Special C

Looks like I got a bad fan. It's very loud and I can tell it isn't balanced. No worries, Amazon will have my replacement to me tomorrow and the one I got still works enough to play so I don't lose any game time.

I looked up how to change your "home" console and it's super easy. I remember the terrible game license transfer system on the 360.

werks

Banned
It comes with one month even, asked me during setup if I want to try Gold for 30 days.
Not to defend tie IE thing, it's terrible.

The PS4 comes with a code for 30 days Plus and a code for $10 PSN credit. At the end of the 30 days, I don't have PSN Plus.

The Xbox One comes with a 30 day trial that requires a credit card to be added to the account. At the end of 30 days, I get charged unless I cancel.

How MS does business is sleazy, especially in comparison to its closest competitor.

Simpsonology

Neo Member
Avatars are actually more hidden and unused than I expected. There's an Avatars app that lets you edit ours, use the avatar store, and view a list of friends' avatars. I've yet to see any of them outside of the app. Your friends list doesn't even use them anymore, it uses gamerpics. I believe the only time you see avatars outside of the app is if someone uses their to make a gamerpic.

Yeah, and it's a bit shame, i preferred the 360 one myself, now it looks like really bad FB page.

I'm mainly looking to get an XBONE for those rare, unique Japanese developed games that always find their way to Microsoft's machine somehow.

Um .. do you mind asking what Japanese developed games? I thought Playstation gets more of those..

PG2G

So, is there any easy way to browse the store and remotely trigger a download?

I was thinking of downloading a demo as a test of it, but didn't see any way on the website to do that.

Hope they put out an app or something at some point.

Mrbob

Wait, what? The iPad mini retina is fantastic, the best tablet out there. There's almost no argument on this. Couldn't be happier with it. Junk? What issues? "Over hype"? WTF are you talking about?
Screen issues including ghosting and muted colors. It isn't even the best Ipad. Plenty of arguments against it being the best tablet out there but I suppose we probably shouldn't discuss this in the xb1 thread.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The PS4 comes with a code for 30 days Plus and a code for $10 PSN credit. At the end of the 30 days, I don't have PSN Plus.

The Xbox One comes with a 30 day trial that requires a credit card to be added to the account. At the end of 30 days, I get charged unless I cancel.

How MS does business is sleazy, especially in comparison to its closest competitor.

My Xbox One came with a 14 day trial card with a code, at the end of the 14 days I don't have Xbox Live. I didn't have to put in a credit card. Maybe it's different in Europe?

Getting an xbone for xmas had a couple of questions:

I purchased it day one, but won't be able to open it until xmas, Is the day one achievement for those who purchased day one units or signed on, on the 1st day? Probably the latter

the achievement comes in a qr activation code form

What games do you suggest? I got a PS4 already with BF4 and AC4 and hate COD

Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, and FIFA 14 if you like soccer games

Hows DR3?
I've heard good things about KI but wasn't sure about grabbing a fighting game as my only thing to play.

Not sure if this was the best place to ask these questions..

best launch game I've ever played (besides Super Mario World heh)

Razdek

Banned
What's funny is that they can't hide downloading demos a week early on the Xbox One behind Gold anymore because they are no demos available. That's one less feature of Gold being taken away and it's going to be interesting to see if they try to restore it.

My Xbox One came with a 14 day trial card with a code, at the end of the 14 days I don't have Xbox Live. I didn't have to put in a credit card. Maybe it's different in Europe?

maybe he created a new gamertag? you get a free month live gold subscription for every new live account you create, that's how it has been working for 360 for years.

derFeef

maybe he created a new gamertag? you get a free month live gold subscription for every new live account you create, that's how it has been working for 360 for years.

Nope, been on Live for a long time, but Gold ran out 10 days ago. It was not a code, it just prompted me during the setup.

What's funny is that they can't hide downloading demos a week early on the Xbox One behind Gold anymore because they are no demos available. That's one less feature of Gold being taken away and it's going to be interesting to see if they try to restore it.

demos are no longer compulsory for XBOX Live:

Publishers will not be required to include a demo of downloadable games on the new Xbox console, as Microsoft shift policies from the Xbox 360.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/04/game-demos-no-longer-compulsory-on-xbox-one-3949550/

Astroroot

Banned
Their focus group probably didn't have kids so it wasn't implemented. The OS seems like a work in progress and it'll be interesting to see how quickly they iterate it or wait until one big release a year which would be a big mistake in my opinion if they go with the latter.

The disappointment on my kid's face when he said, "Xbox, watch Bob the Builder!" and nothing happened was priceless. My kid's first gaming experience was on an iPad. If MS knows what's good for them, they'd rope these little kids in while they have the opportunity.

My two year old is smart enough to unlock an iPad, click Hulu Plus and find what show he wants to watch. MS has an opportunity to "raise" little kids on their brand so that all they know is Xbox. It seems kinda contradictory to have parental controls and have no way for children to sign up. Requiring an e-mail address is stupid and MS isn't alone in this. When I bought a Kindle Fire for my 9 year old niece, I was surprised when it required an e-mail address.

Razdek

Banned

Yea but it still means another "feature" of gold is lost. I really hope that MS takes a look at the things they perceive as value for gold members. As mentioned before in this thread, having IE locked behind gold is ridiculous and they should be begging for people to use not acting like it's a privilege. But I have to admit I like using IE more than the PS4 browser.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Take your time. Unboxing is supposed to be an experience.

Hah, when I was unpacking mine by girlfriend got all pissed that I was taking so long and carefully unwrapping each piece. I just gave her a look and said "You don't rush this woman! This is like foreplay".

hadareud

The Translator
They have to get rid of the paywall apart from for online multiplayer.

What they are doing may have made sense 5 years ago, but it doesn't anymore.

This is (the) one thing people are absolutely right to moan and whine about. It needs to change.

Top Bottom