• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I had a clip of a long chip in during a playthrough of power star golf which I saved because I was proud of myself. I was messing around on smart glass and noticed that it got 30 views in the past day. Pretty bizarre.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I might wait on BF4. Its current state is pretty glitchy. It's crashed on me and sometimes it just refuses to log into the EA BF servers.

I recommend Forza.

I fall for sim-racers about once every 3 years and am not going to do it again. :p

I play them for a bit and then move on. Arcade racers are my bread and butter. A PGR would have been a no brainer day 1 for me (or RR).

These are all obviously short term problems as Titanfall will probably be my main squeeze in 4 months time.

Bgamer90

Banned
Once you get the dash figured out it is way better than the guide button. It still takes the same number of button pressed to get to anything you need.

However the party system and matchmaking IS more cumbersome in my opinion. It'll get better over time with feedback. But for now it is a step back.

Agreed though I wouldn't say the dash is "much better" than the Xbox mini guide on the Xbox 360; it is pretty much the same in terms of amount button presses though.

Heck, in some cases it's faster (or takes fewer button presses). To check out a fresh message or achievement on the Xbox 360 while you were in a game, you had to scroll a lot. On the Xbox One though, all you have to do is hit the Xbox button, move up two times, hit A, and boom -- everything's there.

Cru

People are going to have different experiences and or issues. Saying "lol wut works for me" doesn't really help anyone out. I wasnt getting any sound from my center channel until I checked the surround (beta) option. Might try that and see if it works.

StoOgE

Agreed -- I wouldn't say the dash is "much better" than the Xbox mini guide on the Xbox 360, but it's the same in terms of button presses.

Heck, in some cases it's faster. To check out a fresh message or achievement on the Xbox 360 while you were in a game, you had to scroll a lot. On the Xbox One though, all you have to do is hit the Xbox button, move up two times, hit A, and boom -- everything's there.

It's honestly like the start menu in Windows 8 vs the old start menu.

It's not that its better/worse it's just different and people have been trained to expect a certain thing by the Xbox 360 for so long that it's blowing their mind. Returning to the dash feels like "quitting" the game even though you arent. It'll take some time to get used to, some people may never like it.

At this point I prefer the Windows 8 system to the old start menu, but appreciate a lot of people hate it.

Got a question for you guys. You can buy a 3 year hardware warranty for the Xbox One through the Microsoft Store.

If you buy your console elsewhere, is there a piece of paper or flyer or anything in the box that lets you buy the same warranty?

I bought a launch Xbox 360 and I bought the warranty inside the box for $60. Microsoft replaced about 8 or 9 Xbox's because of that warranty.

Chitown B

I fall for sim-racers about once every 3 years and am not going to do it again. :p

I play them for a bit and then move on. Arcade racers are my bread and butter. A PGR would have been a no brainer day 1 for me (or RR).

These are all obviously short term problems as Titanfall will probably be my main squeeze in 4 months time.

I always only get arcade racers, because I'm not good at sims (I love Blur, for instance). however I wanted to give this a shot because it looked so pretty - and I found that the assists on it really help you play as a beginner. Love it so far.

ParityBit

I always only get arcade racers, because I'm not good at sims (I love Blur, for instance). however I wanted to give this a shot because it looked so pretty - and I found that the assists on it really help you play as a beginner. Love it so far.

Is Need for Speed good? Look good and play good? I am the same ... I fall for Sims (I got Forza) but I just ... suck. I don't know why. I am really good at PGR and such.

Lee

I might wait on BF4. Its current state is pretty glitchy. It's crashed on me and sometimes it just refuses to log into the EA BF servers.

I recommend Forza.

I have Forza on the way from Amazon. I wasn't sure, but when it dropped to $49 I gave in. Still might just send it back unopened as I picked up Call of Duty: Ghosts from Walmart on Friday for $49 as well, and so far I'm really enjoying it. It feels (to me) as fun as Call of Duty 4. Easy to get into, balanced maps, the killstreaks and perk system are a bit confusing but after the weekend I feel pretty well adjusted.

Honestly, between Ghosts and KI (free via email) I think I might be set until PVZ:GW and Titanfall.

Got a question for you guys. You can buy a 3 year hardware warranty for the Xbox One through the Microsoft Store.

If you buy your console elsewhere, is there a piece of paper or flyer or anything in the box that lets you buy the same warranty?

I bought a launch Xbox 360 and I bought the warranty inside the box for $60. Microsoft replaced about 8 or 9 Xbox's because of that warranty.

Pretty sure anyone can extend it to 3 years through Microsoft Complete via the MS Store, no matter where you bought it from, no?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/warranties-and-repair/complete

StoOgE

Is Need for Speed good? Look good and play good? I am the same ... I fall for Sims (I got Forza) but I just ... suck. I don't know why. I am really good at PGR and such.

We should form some kind of support group.

At least once a gen I'm all like "oh man, all of that customization and tracks, it's gonna be so dope"

3 weeks later "Well, remind me never to do that again"

maomao

Banned
My quick bits after a weekend of using the xbone:

Love switching back and forth with TV and games. I don't know how long the load times is in forza, DR3, ryse and NBA 2k, I just go watch TV when it starts loading, when I come back, they are ready to play. Also works with KI match searching. I would get a notification, hold xbox button and join, super slick.

I originally was using the pin apps/games to my pins, then I don't think it's needed, if it's not my most recent app/game, I just use voice command.

love the clip feature, xbox record that, though sometimes it records a clip even without my command, is that normal?

Suspend feature only works for the most recent game, that sucks. I thought they said that saving games is no longer needed in E3, guess not.

Achievements and friends app should stay launched in memory all the time, I don't want to see the flash logo screen when I go to those, it should be in memory like how TV does it, the switch should be instant.

A few glitches where I had to unplug the power and restart the box to get TV working again, another couple times it will forget my wifi info and I have to put it in again, not sure it's because I'm connecting it to a 5ghz band from my router

As for games, Forza and DR3 feels truly next gen in different areas. NBA and Ryse is really held back by the last gen game play.

StoOgE

love the clip feature, xbox record that, though sometimes it records a clip even without my command, is that normal?

A few glitches where I had to unplug the power and restart the box to get TV working again, another couple times it will forget my wifi info and I have to put it in again, not sure it's because I'm connecting it to a 5ghz band from my router

1) It auto-records acheivements I think.

2) I've had this as well. It happened twice and in both cases it was because TWC reset or updated the software on my cable box. I don't know if its related, but it may just be that the system needs a hard reset when the cable box has reset itself?

Caused me a lot of consternation the first time it happened.

Moldiver

After a good sitdown, i realised what i need to do with my Xbox One HDMI passthrough

No-Brainer....Shenmue....!!!
DSC03476_zps08483e28.jpg

How did you get that to work?

Dreamcast vga box into HDMI convertor into passthrough.

Jeff-DSA

Ugh, I hate the dashboard. It's a mess. It doesn't help that Kinect responds only 60% of the time on a good day. Resorting to browsing with a controller is barely an option though, because it's such a convoluted mess. I hate it.

Oh yeah, and the party functionality is ridiculous.

Turn this around Microsoft. As someone who played the 360 99% of the time over the PS3, I'm pretty bummed out about how piss poor the Xbox One's UX is right now.

Is anyone here able to play an NBA2K game online?

I constantly see, "2K sports server is not available at this time." 99% of the time since launch. The 1% of the time it finds a match then disconnects out at some point.

Bgamer90

Banned
Is anyone here able to play an NBA2K game online?

I constantly see, "2K sports server is not available at this time." 99% of the time since launch. The 1% of the time it finds a match then disconnects out at some point.

2K servers are terrible. I'm hoping that they'll use MS' free dedicated servers for NBA 2K15.

Chitown B

Ugh, I hate the dashboard. It's a mess. It doesn't help that Kinect responds only 60% of the time on a good day. Resorting to browsing with a controller is barely an option though, because it's such a convoluted mess. I hate it.

Turn this around Microsoft. As someone who played the 360 99% of the time over the PS3, I'm pretty bummed out about how piss poor the Xbox One's UX is right now.

The dashboard, if anything, is too simple. Not a mess. There aren't enough things on it. However, Kinect works almost flawlessly for me - so maybe your setup is less than ideal. In order to work around less tiles, you just speak what you want it to do or open. Which is much faster than controller function in most cases.

What's your particular problem with parties? I haven't tried it yet.

I NEED HELP.

So, the initial update, it's been stuck on the "updating..." screen for the past 30 minutes.

The grey bar at the bottom hasn't filled whatsoever, what should I do?

Jeff-DSA

The dashboard, if anything, is too simple. Not a mess. There aren't enough things on it. However, Kinect works almost flawlessly for me - so maybe your setup is less than ideal. In order to work around less tiles, you just speak what you want it to do or open. Which is much faster than controller function in most cases.

What's your particular problem with parties? I haven't tried it yet.

It's a mess in the case that you have to go through multiple screens to find anything, and some stuff is just outright hidden from you unless you're an expert explorer. And it doesn't have to be a slow process with a controller, the PS4 pulls it off just fine. And my Kinect setup couldn't be more ideal. It's in a basement living room where it's dead silent aside from my own gaming activity. There's no reason why Kinect should be such a hit and miss experience.

Parties are just more complicated. You get invited to a party, join it, and chat isn't active. You have to then go and click to enable party chat, as if I wanted to be in a party and just sit there silently. The default is reversed there. There are other issues with it, but that's just an example of a simple oversight. Also, I keep getting static pops from friends, and half the time we don't even hear each other.

Okay so here's something cool.

The XB1 can power my external audio interface (the type used for recording audio etc).

I'm currently powering an Edirol UA-25 which is connected to my speaker setup (basically two studio monitors) and it works perfectly :D

Bgamer90

Banned
And my Kinect setup couldn't be more ideal. It's in a basement living room where it's dead silent aside from my own gaming activity. There's no reason why Kinect should be such a hit and miss experience.

How loud did you have your speakers during the kinect audio calibration?

Bsigg12

Redo your Kinect calibration and crank your sound up really loud. I had mine to where I was covering my ears it was so loud and I have no issues with kinect hearing me.

Enosh

The PS4 comes with a code for 30 days Plus and a code for $10 PSN credit. At the end of the 30 days, I don't have PSN Plus.

The Xbox One comes with a 30 day trial that requires a credit card to be added to the account. At the end of 30 days, I get charged unless I cancel.

How MS does business is sleazy, especially in comparison to its closest competitor.
don't ahve either of the consoles but I watched a setup video and psn asked the guy for his credit card number before he could claim the 30 days free trial and a message popped up warning him that he will get billed for a new moth if he doesn't disable auto renew

They definitely did, all the FUD was bullshit. Doubt CBOAT will ever show his face again. Haven't been this impressed by a system at launch in a long time.
Nobody seems to have called mortimer out on all his shameful FUD either. Pretty despicable.

Anyone remember this,
a guy with a blog said:
The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.”

And this,
a guy with a blog said:
I’m putting it all out on the line here. I enjoy breaking leaks but if this is wrong I’m fucked. I know this."

His only response to the fact that he *was* wrong and that everything seems just fine with the Xbox One overall is something along the lines of "Hey, the giant bomb guys had some issues with the party system."

Freaking pathetic considering the incredible amount of FUD that came from his "leaks". Really, really gross. I say this as a guy who only owns a PS4 right now and probably won't get an Xbox One for a few months.

Getting away from mortimer and back to the cboat for a sec, perhaps elevating a disgruntled, deceptive employee to hero status isn't the best idea. It's not like he's a whistle blower who's trying to save our country from corruption. He's a malcontent employee who has been violating his NDAs for years on an internet forum as a sad, deceitful, back door way to try to take out his apparent grievances on his employers. Sometimes with truth, sure, but often times with straight FUD and falsehoods, hyping up supposed "ass storms" and giant, terrible upcoming reveals that either never happen or are such a fart in the wind no one really notices. It's not exactly admirable.

JambiBum

So I only have two HDMI ports on my tv. When I was using the 360 and PS3 and my PC, I had to use a splitter so that I didn't have to keep unplugging them. Now, I can just plug my PS4 into my One and be able to split between the two whenever I want. Waiting for a game to install on either system just became a lot better.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I had a clip of a long chip in during a playthrough of power star golf which I saved because I was proud of myself. I was messing around on smart glass and noticed that it got 30 views in the past day. Pretty bizarre.

Your clips will appear in the product page, so when people are looking at "trailers" for the game, they can be watching your clips. Which is kind of awesome.

Jeff-DSA

Redo your Kinect calibration and crank your sound up really loud. I had mine to where I was covering my ears it was so loud and I have no issues with kinect hearing me.

It was loud. Kinect just isn't great, guys. I don't think calibrating is the issue here. It's just a bad way to make you navigate content. It should be secondary, not primary.

Nobody seems to have called mortimer out on all his shameful FUD either. Pretty despicable.

Anyone remember this,

And this,

His only response to the fact that he *was* wrong and that everything seems just fine with the Xbox One overall is something along the lines of "Hey, the giant bomb guys had some issues with the party system."

Freaking pathetic considering the incredible amount of FUD that came from his "leaks". Really, really gross. I say this as a guy who only owns a PS4 right now and probably won't get an Xbox One for a few months.

Getting away from mortimer and back to the cboat for a sec, perhaps elevating a disgruntled, deceptive employee to hero status isn't the best idea. It's not like he's a whistle blower who's trying to save our country from corruption. He's a malcontent employee who has been violating his NDAs for years on an internet forum as a sad, deceitful, back door way to try to take out his apparent grievances on his employers. Sometimes with truth, sure, but often times with straight FUD and falsehoods, hyping up supposed "ass storms" and giant, terrible upcoming reveals that either never happen or are such a fart in the wind no one really notices. It's not exactly admirable.

I enjoy the leaks from both sides, but yeah its pretty obvious it feels disgruntled

Lee

I think it's great. So, I guess we're at an impasse...

Kinect has been great for me as well. Fairly small living room, and until I get a mount my Kinect is only about 2 feet off the ground, about 5 feet from my couch, but it hears me great. I'd put it at a 90% effective rate for voice commands so far.

Jeff-DSA

I guess I'm just struggling with how slow it all is. You can launch stuff with Kinect, but there's this 1-2 second "did it work?" delay while you see if it caught what you said. If it managed to work, you still wait for it to process your words and then execute the action. Obviously if it didn't work you have to try again.

I'd much rather have a dashboard where I can easily memorize where things are and just fly through the menus and screens with a controller and then use voice search to find something I'm not used to launching regularly or in place of text input.

Even with a controller the scrolling through screens is kind of slow. You can move through the PS4's screens lighting quick, but on the XB1 I've found it to be a slow march, and you get frame stutters when you're moving about.

I hope that future updates speed up controller-based navigation. I don't like how they took away the mini guide. I don't like how spread out content is across screens and tiles, and I don't like how slowed down everything became.

I'm sure I'll adjust, but it's still not ideal.

Kinect works great for voice. I've had almost no issues at all. It's been quick and accurate. Head tracking in BF4 has worked well so far. Had some issues when I was in a chair instead of the couch though.

Still enjoying the Xbox a lot. About to do Xbox Fitness.

cool_dude

Banned
The wife loves Xbox Fitness. I hate it. I was only able to get through half of the first Beach Body work out before I threw in the towel. My wife completed all of it. She loves it as well as the KSR demo which she keeps beating me at because my 2 year old keeps getting in the way.

MS needs some kids games for this stat!

Any updates on the Kinect Disney Fantasia game? That looks quite fun, especially for kids.

Chitown B

I guess I'm just struggling with how slow it all is. You can launch stuff with Kinect, but there's this 1-2 second "did it work?" delay while you see if it caught what you said. If it managed to work, you still wait for it to process your words and then execute the action. Obviously if it didn't work you have to try again.

I'd much rather have a dashboard where I can easily memorize where things are and just fly through the menus and screens with a controller and then use voice search to find something I'm not used to launching regularly or in place of text input.

Even with a controller the scrolling through screens is kind of slow. You can move through the PS4's screens lighting quick, but on the XB1 I've found it to be a slow march, and you get frame stutters when you're moving about.

I hope that future updates speed up controller-based navigation. I don't like how they took away the mini guide. I don't like how spread out content is across screens and tiles, and I don't like how slowed down everything became.

I'm sure I'll adjust, but it's still not ideal.

360 got slowed WAY down through the years. It got so clunky and I saw the spinning circle so often that I rarely ever wanted to do anything with it other than play the current game in the drive. Even bringing up pins or recent takes awhile on 360. I think you have some rose colored glasses about 360, honestly. X1 is SO much faster to swap and load things, no matter what it is.

I think you just don't like talking to Kinect, which is understandable. But I think you'll get used to it. And I'm sure MS will try to add more controller based features. Things will change - just look at the Blades as opposed to NXE v2. That's the same exact box as 2005.

MajorPain

After a weekend with the Xbox One I can't see ever going back to my 360. A couple of things I don't like though:

1. They really need to add the Xbox Guide (shortcut).
2. Party Chat needs to be fixed.
3. Kinect voice commands need to be more consistent. When it works it is great but when it doesn't it is very frustrating this brings me back to my first point would be helpful for parties and other things when in multi player to have the Xbox Guide.

Top Bottom