• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

MCD

this is my only big wtf where they thinking....having arcade games have trials was always the best choice and I can't believe they are getting rid of it

Hey, you want your indie games faster and little to no certification, welp, there goes your demos!

ekim

Ryse is really good looking although the cutscenes look better than gameplay. Are these real time cutscenes?
Gameplay becomes repetitive pretty fast but it's fun to try chaining perfect hits... (Although I don't have any idea when I have to press X to get a perfect hit)

Grisby

Hows DR3?
I've heard good things about KI but wasn't sure about grabbing a fighting game as my only thing to play.

Not sure if this was the best place to ask these questions..
DR3 has been a blast so far. There are some really smart moves with the combining weapons on the fly and multiple safe houses.

There are so many zombies and the framerate has been great, huge improvement over dr2 on 360. It's crazy to be on one end of the street and see a line of zombies going up the other.

Just finally get my console from amazon italy
Actually i like the size,it's pretty fit
oKWDHRt.jpg

For my figures

Ryse is really good looking although the cutscenes look better than gameplay. Are these real time cutscenes?
Gameplay becomes repetitive pretty fast but it's fun to try chaining perfect hits... (Although I don't have any idea when I have to press X to get a perfect hit)

When the first hit connects, hit again.

Unfortunately, it's literally a case of:

X,X,Y,X,X,Y,X,X RT grisly death.

Some other bad dudes glow red, (B to roll)

besada

Banned
So, after a weekend with the new XB1, some impressions:

Controller: I like it. I can't figure out why people are complaining about the triggers/bumpers, as both feel better to me. The triggers are a little wider, so multiple hours of play doesn't kill your trigger finger. The bumpers are easier to click if you're doing so from the side, where they're designed to click. The taller sticks feel good, and the rubber tips are amazing. So much grip.

The UI: It's like someone took Windows 8, threw it in a blender, and puked it up onto the box. There's no rhyme or reason for the location of certain squares. Settings you need are hidden in weird, hard to find places. It's supposedly easier using voice commands, but in my experience both tend to be convoluted searches for shit.

DLNA: Fuck you in the face hole, Microsoft. How can you claim to be a media box while ripping out the excellent streaming support of the 360. Yes, I can do Play To (although, being on a Mac made that a bit of a treasure hunt in its own right), but there's no file browser, and no easy way to play music in the background while gaming. This oversight/intentional design is imbecilic, and every outlet should be hounding you for your total fuckup on this front.

Kinect: The voice recognition is usually functional for me, although saying "XBox On" almost never works for me. Also, it can't tell the difference between AMC and ABC. I haven't noticed any Kinect functionality in games that's worth putting up with having to shout at my damn box to get it to turn on. I presume the vocal recognition will get better with future patches. It needs to.

Games: I've played BF4, Forza, DR3, KI, and Powerstar Golf. Of all of those, I've probably enjoyed Powerstar Golf the most, and it's a shame it's not getting more attention. It desperately needs an online multiplayer component, but for $20 it's a great arcade golf game. Lots of unlocks and upgrades available, a nice amount of characters, and four well thought out courses.

Sound: Sound is messed up. This is another inexcusable mistake in a console billing itself as a media center. I'm in the weird position that my cable via HDMI in sounds great, and movies I watch sound great, but because the box has poorly implemented sound standards, when playing games the center channel is almost unhearable unless I flip around to different modes that take what is essentially a stereo input and create a faux-surround sound with it. Seriously, get this shit fixed.

zychi

Banned
do usb headsets work with the xbox one? i have a pair of logitech g930s that work decent with the ps4, and was wondering if it would work with the xbox one i just ordered?

Lima

Sound: Sound is messed up. This is another inexcusable mistake in a console billing itself as a media center. I'm in the weird position that my cable via HDMI in sounds great, and movies I watch sound great, but because the box has poorly implemented sound standards, when playing games the center channel is almost unhearable unless I flip around to different modes that take what is essentially a stereo input and create a faux-surround sound with it. Seriously, get this shit fixed.

Lol what?

It puts out LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 just fine. If anything your receiver is messing up.

zychi

Banned
I took enough time. Now I'm taking more time installing these games.

HUGE difference in time from the PS4. Takes forever! However, it's nice to not have the disc spin whatsoever after the install.

you go digital or physical?

do we have a list of xbone owners that we can add to our friends list? i know exactly 1 person who has a xbone.

ekim

Btw, today I sold most of my 360 games and my PS3 - the 360 console went back in it's box. (Won't sell it, as it has some weird DVD drive issues sometimes)
:eek:

Sanjuro

you go digital or physical?

do we have a list of xbone owners that we can add to our friends list? i know exactly 1 person who has a xbone.

Physical.

Digital from what I've heard is just as long, maybe a little bit less depending on the connection.

I downloaded KI. Took no time at all, but it's an obvious exception.

Both Forza and CoD are huge fucking games. So, sandwich achievements should be on their way.

besada

Banned
Lol what?

It puts out LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 just fine. If anything your receiver is messing up.

You'll find a ton of people out there with a different opinion on that. In some cases the issue can be resolved by mandating HDMI connection instead of leaving it on auto-detect. Prior to changing that, it claimed my AV Receiver couldn't take 5.1/7.1 uncompressed, which it can. Afterwards, it allowed those settings, but still was ending through stereo uncompressed from the games themselves.

And my receiver has successfully worked with the360/PS3/Blu-Ray players, etc. My receiver works fine.

Sanjuro

would an hdmi splitter work with the hdmi in on the xbone? i'd love to have my ps3, cable and wii u connected through it

specifically this: http://www.amazon.com/MarginMart-Inc-PET0301D-1-Out-Switch/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385399298&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+splitter

I'm using the same cheap HDMI splitter I used since the last generation. Works fine between my PS4/Xbone.

Mine looks similar to that one, just different shape. You won't need one with a power supply if you look around more, that's unnecessary.

zychi

Banned
I'm using the same cheap HDMI splitter I used since the last generation. Works fine between my PS4/Xbone.

Mine looks similar to that one, just different shape. You won't need one with a power supply if you look around more, that's unnecessary.

are you using it IN the hdm in slot on the xbox one? i already own this one, and it would be fantastic if it worked.

do usb headsets work with the xbox one? i have a pair of logitech g930s that work decent with the ps4, and was wondering if it would work with the xbox one i just ordered?

How'd you get them working? Does PS4 have native USB support for the 930's?

Also, any word on impulse trigger support for NFS on the XBO?

To upload clips do you need upload studio and kinect?
Or is there an way without using kinect or upload studio just upload it to skydrive?

No Kinect required I think. When uploading you either press "Upload to Xbox Live" or "Upload to Xbox Live and SkyDrive". I am not exactly sure about Upload Studio.

Chitown B

I'm not sure what you're talking about. It sends straight up LPCM 7.1 to my receiver, which works great.

Sanjuro

HAHA

Trying out the TV function. It moved the channel up one to AMC. Desperado is on. It's the scene where Steve Buscemi is talking about Banderas killing everyone.

DigitalOp

Banned
Just peaking my head in here...

So with the reports I'm reading, it looks like MS botched 360 guide menu functionality..

One of the main things that made people buy XBL Gold was the ease of the infrastructure and the features for party chat and matchmaking.

With all that currently botched till it gets fixed, where is the inherent value in buying gold? I'm getting a worse service than what I would have got with XBL Gold on 360...

This is very frustrating to me. How could MS be so clueless. Maybe they deserve to struggle honestly.

K1ng P3n

Loving my new Xbox One! Biggest problem I have is getting Xbox on to work. I don't think it has worked once for me, but it's not really a big problem.

Mayyhem

So with the reports I'm reading, it looks like MS botched 360 guide menu functionality..

One of the main things that made people buy XBL Gold was the ease of the infrastructure and the features for party chat and matchmaking.

With all that currently botched till it gets fixed, where is the inherent value in buying gold? I'm getting a worse service than what I would have got with XBL Gold on 360...

This is very frustrating to me. How could MS be so clueless. Maybe they deserve to struggle honestly.
They do. This new OS is a piece of shit. I don't want to talk to my kinect 24/7 to have a decent experience. 360 was ahead of its time, this POS is a few hundred steps backward

fucking comfy couch gaming

Honestly I haven't had any issues. :p

"Xbox, Snap Friends, view favorites. Oh hey, Michael is online! Xbox, Snap Party, invite Michael." from there its just letting someone know he needs to join the party and turn it on, and its golden. It's more of a 'learn once, you're good' type things.

Well, ive just set up my 2nd bone and while the PSU is still slightly audible, it now sounds like a regular fan, but its very faint. Its definitely not louder than the system.

My first Bone PSU sounded like a cooling fan that was on the fritz and was about to become dislodged. It was louder than the console itself and sounded potentially harmful.

Ok, getting it replaced. The whole console is getting replaced which is dumb. Gotta dl all them updates again.

Sanjuro

HDMI splitter does not work.

What you need theoretically is something like this,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015YRMXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just searched quickly. You need a splitter which has two output cables. One going to Xbox One and another going to your input channel on the television.

I have two HDMI slots on my television. So, basically I would need two splitters.

INPUT A - Video Output from Xbox One, PS4
INPUT B - Video Output from Output 1 on Splitter, receiving picture from Cable Box / Output 2 on Splitter going to Xbox One's INPUT.

Chitown B

Honestly I haven't had any issues. :p

"Xbox, Snap Friends, view favorites. Oh hey, Michael is online! Xbox, Snap Party, invite Michael." from there its just letting someone know he needs to join the party and turn it on, and its golden. It's more of a 'learn once, you're good' type things.

same here, it's just different than 360. So, learn the new way and you're fine. I'm not sure what the above post was about "botching guide functionality" What guide? You mean the dashboard?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I feel like I made a mistake with my game purchases.

KI I'm happy with. Fighters are a thing I buy, generally suck at but will play for 15-30 minutes for the next 5 years.

AC4 I'm regretting as my "big" purchase. My wife likes watching AC games and thought it looked pretty. I think it looks pretty phenomenal myself, but I'm a bit burned out on the franchsie. I'll keep at it. It's not bad at all, just wish I had grabbed something that would wow me. Obviously it's a cross-gen game and that shows, but its really nice having an AC game thats frame rate is this good.

My rents are going to get me a game for my birthday belatedly. I'm thinking BF4 is the way to go probably?

Chitown B

I feel like I made a mistake with my game purchases.

KI I'm happy with. Fighters are a thing I buy, generally suck at but will play for 15-30 minutes for the next 5 years.

AC4 I'm regretting as my "big" purchase. My wife likes watching AC games and thought it looked pretty. I think it looks pretty phenomenal myself, but I'm a bit burned out on the franchsie. I'll keep at it.

My rents are going to get me a game for my birthday belatedly. I'm thinking BF4 is the way to go probably?

I might wait on BF4. Its current state is pretty glitchy. It's crashed on me and sometimes it just refuses to log into the EA BF servers.

I recommend Forza.

Special C

Once you get the dash figured out it is way better than the guide button. It still takes the same number of button pressed to get to anything you need.

However the party system and matchmaking IS more cumbersome in my opinion. It'll get better over time with feedback. But for now it is a step back.

Top Bottom