• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Jeff-DSA

360 got slowed WAY down through the years. It got so clunky and I saw the spinning circle so often that I rarely ever wanted to do anything with it other than play the current game in the drive. Even bringing up pins or recent takes awhile on 360. I think you have some rose colored glasses about 360, honestly. X1 is SO much faster to swap and load things, no matter what it is.

I think you just don't like talking to Kinect, which is understandable. But I think you'll get used to it. And I'm sure MS will try to add more controller based features. Things will change - just look at the Blades as opposed to NXE v2. That's the same exact box as 2005.

No, I get that the 360 became a bog. It was super slow. But comparing XB1 to PS4, it's not even close how much easier it is to navigate the PS4.

However, the XB1 obviously has a feature advantage, so I'm willing to deal with that. The snap feature is great, and I've probably put more time on my XB1 simply because it has those extra features, but I can't ignore that I'd away the dang tiles for something more simple in a heartbeat.

Ugh, I hate the dashboard. It's a mess. It doesn't help that Kinect responds only 60% of the time on a good day. Resorting to browsing with a controller is barely an option though, because it's such a convoluted mess. I hate it.

Oh yeah, and the party functionality is ridiculous.

Turn this around Microsoft. As someone who played the 360 99% of the time over the PS3, I'm pretty bummed out about how piss poor the Xbox One's UX is right now.

You might not have calibrated it properly on initial set up. The voice recognition set up works best if you turn your TV volume up to almost ear shattering volumes...makes the Kinect much more responsive to your voice/commands I found.

Jeff-DSA

These bumpers are bad and a step back from previous LB,RB buttons.

They are, but you can now press them without taking your fingers off of the triggers. Just sort of "roll" your fingers up and use the sides of your index fingers to click them. It works really well. With time, I think it'll be a better way to use those buttons.

Jeff-DSA

I don't like the size of the surface on the analog sticks. I wish they were a bit bigger. I feel like my fingers don't quite rest into the depression as much as they did on the 360. This is probably something I'll adjust to as well, I guess.

Chitown B

I think the bumpers depend on how you use them. I only press the outside but so for me they are great. But if your used to pressing the whole button I can see how they would be a problem

same. I haven't had need to use them yet but I usually hit them with the middle of my index finger on the edge, so it should be OK. They are definitely different though.

Chitown B

No, I get that the 360 became a bog. It was super slow. But comparing XB1 to PS4, it's not even close how much easier it is to navigate the PS4.

However, the XB1 obviously has a feature advantage, so I'm willing to deal with that. The snap feature is great, and I've probably put more time on my XB1 simply because it has those extra features, but I can't ignore that I'd away the dang tiles for something more simple in a heartbeat.

I haven't been able to use a PS4 yet, so I can't compare. However I own a PS3 and I understand the PS4 uses the same X-bar, right? I never liked that navigation. It was all on one screen, sure, but it was really obtuse.

Bgamer90

Banned
It was loud. Kinect just isn't great, guys. I don't think calibrating is the issue here. It's just a bad way to make you navigate content. It should be secondary, not primary.

I'm literally having a 90-95% success rate with Kinect which is why I suggested it.

Barely having any problems with it.

dcx4610

Anyone else disappointed in the load times? I mean it takes 15 seconds or so to load the character models in Killer Instinct in the select screen. Wat.

AmyS

For anyone with BF4 on Xbox One who's having trouble finding the Second Assault DLC expansion and getting it to work, I found a video for you guys that seems to explain everything.

As a PS4 owner, I have to wait for Second Assault until (early?) next year.

Anyone else disappointed in the load times? I mean it takes 15 seconds or so to load the character models in Killer Instinct in the select screen. Wat.

yeah i noticed that yesterday, my friend asked where was his character and after it just appeared. Ha Ha

The problem with the bumpers is a game like PES or Fifa where that is used for sprint is now very uncomfortable, but the tip to press it at corners kind of works,

I'm hopefully receiving my Dead Rising 3, Ryse and Forza 5 Day One editions today. It will be nice to finally see what this thing is capable of. The only thing I had to play over the weekend was Ghosts, which is, yeah, pretty much just a barely upscaled port. Still fun though.

Special C

Yes it is a faulty fan. Call MS and get it replaced.

I had the same problem and processed my return through Amazon. They have some replacement consoles in backstock. They are sending me mine and I can keep playing the broken fan one I got until my new one shows up. Amazon gave me till Dec 22nd to return the busted one.

In short, If you bought from Amazon return through them instead of calling MS.

Great the replacement delivery I'll get for my loud PSU fan is apparently a console without a PSU.
Only way to repair the PSU is to send it in and wait up to 28 days. Just send my another PSU you idiots. Who can wait 28 days, I got video games to play.

Now the console is apparently already on its way and they can't cancel it. Fuck this. You guys better hope that nothing besides your console is busted.

Special C

yeah i noticed that yesterday, my friend asked where was his character and after it just appeared. Ha Ha

The problem with the bumpers is a game like PES or Fifa where that is used for sprint is now very uncomfortable, but the tip to press it at corners kind of works,

Hmm. The bumpers/triggers work great for me in FIFA. I guess it's just different for different people.

Mononoke

Banned
The slow load times are baffling. As someone mentioned earlier Killer Instinct characters take time to load to show up when browsing them. How does this even happen. Also load times in games is generally slower than PS4 games. Don't even get me started on install times.

How is the gaming lag situation with systems hooked up via the HDMI input? I'm inspired by the Shenmue post earlier and am considering getting an HDMI converter to play some OG XBox1 games through this.

Bsigg12

Has Microsoft said why the Xbox One can't just be used as a DVR itself?

I really hate having to keep that cable box remote around...

It will be available to do that in 2014 I suspect. With the federal mandate in the US of streaming and DVR stuff for cable companies, I can see the Xbox One getting that functionality next summer.

Phreaker

I had a clip of a long chip in during a playthrough of power star golf which I saved because I was proud of myself. I was messing around on smart glass and noticed that it got 30 views in the past day. Pretty bizarre.

How can you tell how many views your clips have? (I kind of like that golf game!)

kinggroin

Banned
How is the gaming lag situation with systems hooked up via the HDMI input? I'm inspired by the Shenmue post earlier and am considering getting an HDMI converter to play some OG XBox1 games through this.

Half a second delay. Twitch games are nearly impossible to play that way. For slower pace stuff, it's not too big a fuss

C Jones

I'm literally having a 90-95% success rate with Kinect which is why I suggested it.

Same. I use voice a ton. My most frustrating moments were times that I later realized I was screwing up the commands (like saying "what's on channel X" before bringing up the OneGuide")

Phreaker

Same. I use voice a ton. My most frustrating moments were times that I later realized I was screwing up the commands (like saying "what's on channel X" before bringing up the OneGuide")

I was saying this A LOT:

"Xbox, snap party"
"Invite more people"
"Person 1, Person 2"
"Invite"
"Turn on party chat"
"Xbox, unsnap"

The mute button is going to get a lot of use on that headset, I don't need everyone hearing me shouting at my Xbox.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

the two biggest issues I was having are ABC = NBC = AMC

It doesn't do well with some of the 3 letter network names.

It also doesn't do super great when the TV is on loud.

When I'm on the dash though I would say its 95%.

So, is there a consensus about this noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_XfJupPBwo ?

My XBox One does something similar, but only when playing games. It's a small noise. On the dash/home, apps it is silent.

I have the same noise. It's audible from where I sit when things are very quiet (load screens, etc.). However, the fan is making the noise the whole time the XB1 is on. Sounds like an unbalanced fan, IMO. It's the kind of thing my wife cannot hear so I'm hesitant to go back to Gamestop and tell them "yeah, I'd like to exchange this for another one because the fan makes an annoying sound that most people will never hear."

XP-Enigma

I apologize if this has been asked already. Should I be able to suspend a game, put the console in standby, and later resume that game? When I try this the game appears resume properly but it does not accept any controller input.

Same here... In fact when I get home I'm going to film a "Kinect" test and count my success and failure rate, AND check my results. If Kinect doesn't respond, I'll check to see if I said the command right and if it was user failure or system failure. Will be fun to see, Kinect is working just fine for me and I REALLY believe most people just aren't willing to quickly look over commands.

Astroroot

Banned
Okay, I need some help. Kinect works fine in a silent room, but when there's people talking, the TV blasting and mayhem, I have to yell for it to hear me. Secondly, "Xbox On" hardly works on the first try, even when it's a quiet room early in the morning.

I've seen some folks say to turn your TV volume way up when you calibrate, but I don't understand how that makes a difference. Please educate me.

Astroroot

Banned
the two biggest issues I was having are ABC = NBC = AMC

It doesn't do well with some of the 3 letter network names.

It also doesn't do super great when the TV is on loud.

When I'm on the dash though I would say its 95%.

To be fair, a human being would have trouble understanding those. You ever had to use the phonetic alphabet to a human on the other end of the phone? Human speech is a complex beast.

Chitown B

Okay, I need some help. Kinect works fine in a silent room, but when there's people talking, the TV blasting and mayhem, I have to yell for it to hear me. Secondly, "Xbox On" hardly works on the first try, even when it's a quiet room early in the morning.

I've seen some folks say to turn your TV volume way up when you calibrate, but I don't understand how that makes a difference. Please educate me.

the Xbox TELLS you to turn the volume way up as you calibrate. That's the same as calibrating any surround system.

DieH@rd

Banned
Did anyone tried to use Xbox One in a country that is not officially supported by MS? Country that does not have its local MS store for buying games?

For example Czech Republic?

What can users who have Czech Republic MS account and local IP adress do with the console? Can they access UK/US store and buy games/addons/DLC/microtransactions without problems? No problems with disc game authentications, downloading patches, firmware updates, etc?

Bsigg12

Just try it. Crank the volume up super loud. It helps the mics with acoustics of the room.

Phreaker

I apologize if this has been asked already. Should I be able to suspend a game, put the console in standby, and later resume that game? When I try this the game appears resume properly but it does not accept any controller input.

Yes, but it does say this feature is in "beta" (in the settings / power app). Which game? Does it always happen?

These bumpers are bad and a step back from previous LB,RB buttons.

I was so worried for no reason before I got the controller. The bumpers are identical to the 360 from my experience. I have no idea how you guys complaining were holding the 360 controller to make them not work on XB1. I have to really try hard to find a spot on the very end of the Xbox One bumpers where my presses don't register. I would never press over there naturally though.

Stop trying to press with your finger tips if that's what the problem is. You are supposed to press the bumper buttons with your whole finger, not just the tip.

Yes you have to set your speakers very loud when calibrating so that it knows where they're located and how to filter them all out.

Cross talk is still a huge problem with the voice recognition which is really disappointing. If multiple people are talking it simply doesn't work. I have no problems with "Xbox On" working though. Works on the first try for me.

LNBL

Did anyone tried to use Xbox One in a country that is not officially supported by MS? Country that does not have its local MS store for buying games?

For example Czech Republic?

What can users who have Czech Republic MS account and local IP adress do with the console? Can they access UK/US store and buy games/addons/DLC/microtransactions without problems? No problems with disc game authentications, downloading patches, firmware updates, etc?

I've been reading into the same matter for The Netherlands, my findings from several forums and websites:
- The Day One update works when using a xbox live account that is not linked to Tier 1 country.
- Your country settings are not tied to your Xbox Live account, meaning you could choose any country setting with your own account.
- You can freely choose any Xbox Live Marketplace region
- Choosing the USA marketplace would require you to either have a USA credit card or use Pre-paid microsoft points. Same goes for the UK market place and a UK credit card.
- You can freely change between countries after choosing one.
- A game bought on the USA marketplace will still work on a console that is switched to the UK or French marketplace for example.

The only issue that is still not cleared is whether the DLC is region-locked or not.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Jeff-DSA

I don't know what's up with that. It's super weird, especially for a game on the hard drive. I haven't checked on disc-based games all that much, but I was confused why it was taking so long on KI. The game rocks, but I can't be bothered to check skins and stuff because the wait is too long.

Top Bottom