• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Chitown B

I don't know what's up with that. It's super weird, especially for a game on the hard drive. I haven't checked on disc-based games all that much, but I was confused why it was taking so long on KI. The game rocks, but I can't be bothered to check skins and stuff because the wait is too long.

yeah it's super slow. It's even slower for Forza, and all my games are digital.

Last night I picked up a 360 controller after spending a few hours playing Forza 5 and BF 4 on the Xbone... and it felt weird.

I've been using that controller for 8 years, but I feel like I'm already getting used to the new hotness. The 360's protruding battery pack never (never!) bothered me until now. I've squeezed RT for thousands of BR and DMR shots, but suddenly those old triggers feel tiny and shallow. It's a bittersweet feeling, like running into an old high school girlfriend... and then asking her for the #6 combo (no mayo) and a 5-piece spicy chicken nuggets.

As for the bumpers... here is my totally scientific Truthfact Analysis™ of the issue:

xbone_bumper1.jpg

Figure 1: The Konami Code

On the outside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 1), it doesn't matter what direction your finger is applying force - the button clicks. My chief contribution to every Battlefield 4 team is mashing the Spot button until orange enemy Doritos litter the screen.

On the inside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 2), if you apply force directed toward the center of the controller you're pushing against the hinge and the button doesn't click. This happens more if you use the very tip of your index finger instead of the middle. This happens less if you are Davos Seaworth.

The 360 controller didn't have such an issue, but that's partly because those bumpers were much smaller. I think people will get used to the change; in my opinion the Xbox One bumpers are easier to use overall. All other opinions are not my opinion - but they're probably wrong.

golem

I don't know what's up with that. It's super weird, especially for a game on the hard drive. I haven't checked on disc-based games all that much, but I was confused why it was taking so long on KI. The game rocks, but I can't be bothered to check skins and stuff because the wait is too long.
The weird part is you can probably fit most of its assets in Xbox's memory anyways. Not sure why they dont preload the character models at the selection screen

f0lken

I asked this in the Windows Phone Thread but I´ll ask here too :D

Does smartglass for Xbox One not show the keyboard for doing searches? -____-

rhinosmitty

Neo Member
Super excited to finally get my replacement today! I have been living with a One that had a busted disk drive since launch but luckily Gamestop got my replacement in this morning. I finally get to dive into DR3 and Ryse - way pumped!

DieH@rd

Banned
I've been reading into the same matter for The Netherlands, my findings from several forums and websites:
- The Day One update works when using a xbox live account that is not linked to Tier 1 country.
- Your country settings are not tied to your Xbox Live account, meaning you could choose any country setting with your own account.
- You can freely choose any Xbox Live Marketplace region
- Choosing the USA marketplace would require you to either have a USA credit card or use Pre-paid microsoft points. Same goes for the UK market place and a UK credit card.
- You can freely change between countries after choosing one.
- A game bought on the USA marketplace will still work on a console that is switched to the UK or French marketplace for example.

The only issue that is still not cleared is whether the DLC is region-locked or not.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Thanks. I live in Serbia, we will see in a few weeks what is the exact situation for our market.

maomao

Banned
I apologize if this has been asked already. Should I be able to suspend a game, put the console in standby, and later resume that game? When I try this the game appears resume properly but it does not accept any controller input.

no it doesn't work. They promised it at e3, sigh

the only thing about suspend is that you can resume the last game you launch, that's it. the progress will be gone if you launch another game or power off. so much for the "you don't need to save anymore" bs

As for the bumpers... here is my totally scientific Truthfact Analysis™ of the issue:

xbone_bumper1.jpg

The 360 controller didn't have such an issue, but that's partly because those bumpers were much smaller. I think people will get used to the change; in my opinion the Xbox One bumpers are easier to use overall. All other opinions are not my opinion - but they're probably wrong.

Solution: Stop using a fingertip on the button and use your whole index finger to press. Also do the same for the triggers if you don't know that already. You squeeze a trigger with the whole finger, you don't press it with the tip of your finger.

Overall the controller feels really nicely refined. I love the XB1 analog sticks and the little grippy grooves on the edge. The whole thing just feels really comfy in the hands. I also went back to play the 360 last night and suddenly the 360 controller felt a little too big and the analog sticks felt slippery, loose and unrefined.

I was so worried for no reason before I got the controller. The bumpers are identical to the 360 from my experience. I have no idea how you guys complaining were holding the 360 controller to make them not work on XB1. I have to really try hard to find a spot on the very end of the Xbox One bumpers where my presses don't register. I would never press over there naturally though.

Stop trying to press with your finger tips if that's what the problem is. You are supposed to press the bumper buttons with your whole finger, not just the tip.

Yes you have to set your speakers very loud when calibrating so that it knows where they're located and how to filter them all out.

Cross talk is still a huge problem with the voice recognition which is really disappointing. If multiple people are talking it simply doesn't work. I have no problems with "Xbox On" working though. Works on the first try for me.

It may have to do with the pressing down over the years and these not going down as they have on every other game console before, pressing just the corners seems to be the solution for me.

I don't think pressing down with your whole finger is the way these should work.

senador

Banned
Last night I picked up a 360 controller after spending a few hours playing Forza 5 and BF 4 on the Xbone... and it felt weird.

I've been using that controller for 8 years, but I feel like I'm already getting used to the new hotness. The 360's protruding battery pack never (never!) bothered me until now. I've squeezed RT for thousands of BR and DMR shots, but suddenly those old triggers feel tiny and shallow. It's a bittersweet feeling, like running into an old high school girlfriend... and then asking her for the #6 combo (no mayo) and a 5-piece spicy chicken nuggets.

xbone_bumper1.jpg

On the outside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 1), it doesn't matter what direction your finger is applying force - the button clicks. My chief contribution to every Battlefield 4 team is mashing the Spot button until orange enemy Doritos litter the screen.

On the inside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 2), if you apply force directed toward the center of the controller you're pushing against the hinge and the button doesn't click. This happens more if you use the very tip of your index finger instead of the middle. This happens less if you are Davos Seaworth.

Yeah I picked up a 360 controller too and it seemed weird. The battery pack did bother me and does even more now. I agree on the bumpers, but they still haven't quite clicked for me. Still trying to get used to them and figure how how to hold my fingers. Mostly I think I just need to not think about it and let things work themselves out.

The rest of the controller is so damn amazing. I love it.

It may have to do with the pressing down over the years and these not going down as they have on every other game console before, pressing just the corners seems to be the solution for me.

I don't think pressing down with your whole finger is the way these should work.

Yes it is. That is how you are supposed to use the controller. It is a long button because it is not meant to be pressed with a finger tip like the face buttons. The main point of contact with your index finger should be at the first finger joint, not the finger tip.

A simpler way to explain: The squeeze motion you use for the triggers is the same exact squeeze motion you are supposed to use on the bumpers.

def sim

Alright, I'm going to pick up Dead Rising 3 just to have something that isn't KI on this thing. I was waiting out on something like the Target B2G1 promo for PS4, but whatevs.

Has there been a system update or did I just never notice this. To see an achievement there is a goatse style two hands opening? Only noticed the hold button before, maybe I missed it.

Chitown B

xbone_bumper1.jpg

LOL to bolded. Great post, very true.

I wonder why there wasn't a B2G1 like there was with PS4.

There was, at Target.

BDP

Neo Member
What's everyone else's latency on xbox live? I ran the expanded connection test under network settings and my ping was 107ms. This is hardwired by the way. My tablet was nailing a 20ms ping via wireless for reference.

Outside of that I'm loving the new console. It takes some effort to learn the new features but in the end it's pretty easy to use. Snap works well and the UI is snappy. For some darn reason I can't get the console to turn off with voice commands though. The darn thing turns on ok but off is a different story.

My only complaint really is the edges of the controller. There is like a lip that catches my hand. It's like a transition piece that needs to be smoothed out. In lieu of that I really like the new controller. It just feels right at home in my hand.

I apologize if this has been asked already. Should I be able to suspend a game, put the console in standby, and later resume that game? When I try this the game appears resume properly but it does not accept any controller input.

no it doesn't work. They promised it at e3, sigh

the only thing about suspend is that you can resume the last game you launch, that's it. the progress will be gone if you launch another game or power off. so much for the "you don't need to save anymore" bs

I believe the feature needs to be turned on in settings. It's in beta and doesn't always work.

Ecto311

Quick question on live accounts. If I get live and my kid and wife play on the system do they need it too or will it let them play even if I'm not logged in? Googled and it seems like it works like that. I would gladly pay for a gold sub if it's for us 3 in the house. Also do the month to month subs get the free games too?

MrBS

I got my xbone last night and I'm not impressed so far. It plays games at least, eventually. I thought PS4 had problems with the lack of sorting options for games/apps but xbone for me is doing too good a job hiding the options I need. Speaking of options there is streamlining and then there is removing 90% of the options from the system menu that were present on the 360. I can't even see how much free HDD space I have? This is not a solution MS.
How can I check my free space?

Xbox One monitors your available hard drive space. When it starts to fill up, a message appears on your dashboard warning you that you’re low on space. These messages are stored in Notifications. You can check to see if you have any unread messages by saying “Xbox, go to notifications” or by selecting Notification to the left of the Home screen.

If you don’t have any notifications, it means that you have plenty of free space. If you are running low on space, try deleting unused or seldom-used content.
Ridiculous.

Solsc

My Target got a small shipment of PS4s (5 consoles) and an even smaller shipment of xbones (2) and I was able to pick up one of the Xboxs, going home now to try it out!

Is there a reason I'm not seeing the large, swiping "welcome" screen when I turn the box on? When I say the "Xbox, On" command it always goes straight to the home screen before signing me in a few moments later.

sangreal

Is there a reason I'm not seeing the large, swiping "welcome" screen when I turn the box on? When I say the "Xbox, On" command it always goes straight to the home screen before signing me in a few moments later.

I had this when I experimented with having the Kinect a few feet above my TV. It was having problems recognizing me I guess because after I moved it back down there is no login delay

Ecto311

System cold boot or suspend boot. Sounds like it's coming off suspend and it wouldn't do the intro screen like a PC would not do it if you get it off suspend/hibernate

Quick question on live accounts. If I get live and my kid and wife play on the system do they need it too or will it let them play even if I'm not logged in? Googled and it seems like it works like that. I would gladly pay for a gold sub if it's for us 3 in the house. Also do the month to month subs get the free games too?

If you go to settings and choose the home option to make that console your home console, as long as you are subscribed to Gold, anyone on that console can go online, play all of your games, and access all of your content while keeping their own saves and such with their Gamertag/account. So, only one Gold membership is needed on a single console for anyone on it to take advantage of it and you don't have to be signed in for it to work.

Ryse is really good looking although the cutscenes look better than gameplay. Are these real time cutscenes?
Gameplay becomes repetitive pretty fast but it's fun to try chaining perfect hits... (Although I don't have any idea when I have to press X to get a perfect hit)

I have not noticed any difference in the Ryse cutscenes compared to gameplay, other then the GamePlay camera being further away from the characters. They are using in-game models and scenery for the cutscenes. Giant Bomb talked about this in there video review, cutscenes use in-games models, they are not prerendard.

Sydle

Finally got through to support about my bad disc drive and they're sending me a new Xbox One. They were really nice about it, got straight to the point, and got things squared away. Got a free game out of it, too.

The only bummer is having to download all my games again, but fortunately all my game save data is in the cloud, so I don't really lose anything. Here's hoping the replacement is fault free.

fritolay

Hey if you have xbox one and at friends they have xbox 360. You want to play COD ghosts. Once you play XB1 can it transfers your achievements. Can you still play 360 version and keep updating stats? So the stats/achievements keep updating on both platforms or how does this work?

I apologize if this question has already been asked before, but when I say "xbox record that" and it saves a 30 second clip, does this automatically show up for my friends in their activity feed or do I have to go to upload studio and render/upload the clip to my skydrive?

I apologize if this question has already been asked before, but when I say "xbox record that" and it saves a 30 second clip, does this automatically show up for my friends in their activity feed or do I have to go to upload studio and render/upload the clip to my skydrive?

Have to upload AFAIK. At least I did.

Anyone else getting controller disconnects? Happens less often now but usually at least once each session.

Nori Chan

Hey if you have xbox one and at friends they have xbox 360. You want to play COD ghosts. Once you play XB1 can it transfers your achievements. Can you still play 360 version and keep updating stats? So the stats/achievements keep updating on both platforms or how does this work?

You have to start all over again when it comes to achievements.

Also your stats will not transfer between generations. Meaning if you tranfer your level 45 character to COD, and level it up to 60 on the X1, it will not transfer to 360. Your 360 character will still be level 45.

Finally got through to support about my bad disc drive and they're sending me a new Xbox One. They were really nice about it, got straight to the point, and got things squared away. Got a free game out of it, too.

WOW, there must be a huge difference between support in the US and in German speaking regions. I called support this evening for my Day One Edition's grinding dvd drive and got to one really incompetent (or maybe not trained enough) guy. He didn't know anything about these drive issues, said Microsoft will send me a UPS postage sheet, I'll have to print that one out and send in my faulty Xbox One to get it replaced in 2-3 weeks.

Needless to say that the UPS postage thingy has not yet arrived. I'm pretty disappointed.

Vestal

Entrecôte;91288840 said:
Have to upload AFAIK. At least I did.

Anyone else getting controller disconnects? Happens less often now but usually at least once each session.
nope. I haven't manually uploaded anything and I can see my clips on my phone right now through smartglass

Evo_Nine

Banned
Quick question guys....

I notice that when talk during multiplayer a little speaker shows above my gamertag. Does this mean that the Kinect is acting like a mic and other guy can hear what im saying?

sangreal

it automatically shows up on live, but not on skydrive

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

xbone_bumper1.jpg

I love it. All of it.

Top Bottom