• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I notice quite a bit of controller discussion and how to use it. It is indeed correct that you need to use the lower part of your finger to press bumpers and not the tip of the finger.

Another thing for me is that on 360 I had two fingers on the right side controlling RB/RT but that is actually very uncomfortable on X1. Solution? Use index finger for both. I'm more or less already used to it even though I've been using two fingers for almost 8 years.

GavinGT

Banned
I notice quite a bit of controller discussion and how to use it. It is indeed correct that you need to use the lower part of your finger to press bumpers and not the tip of the finger.

Another thing for me is that on 360 I had two fingers on the right side controlling RB/RT but that is actually very uncomfortable on X1. Solution? Use index finger for both. I'm more or less already used to it even though I've been using two fingers for almost 8 years.

Yeah, I sort of think that's what they intended us to do. Just keep your fingers on the triggers but drape your fingers over the bumpers as well.

jem0208

Two fingers isn't comfortable?

Damn, looks like I may have to change up how I hold the controller :l

Two fingers isn't comfortable?

Damn, looks like I may have to change up how I hold the controller :l

Hard to explain but the trigger is curved in such a way that it sort of carved into my middle finger when holding RB/RT with two fingers. So no.

Thanks. I live in Serbia, we will see in a few weeks what is the exact situation for our market.

Yeah I think the same comments apply in your situation as ours in The Netherlands. Damn Tier 2 :(

You do not need a credit card from the region you are trying to buy from!

You just need to fake your address to one from the region you have selected.

For US/UK you can use Borderlinx to get a real address. It is completely free for uses such as this, the cost is when someone send you a package to that address and they repackage and ship it to your real address.

Phreaker

Entrecôte;91288840 said:
Anyone else getting controller disconnects? Happens less often now but usually at least once each session.

Yes, and the odd thing...a buddy and I got them at the same time in DR3 while playing co-op in different states, so I know it wasn't an "interference" issue. It's really bad when it happens at 150mph in Forza. :(

Lucifon

Has anyone had this disk drive issue / can recreate so I know whether my system is faulty or not:

When putting in a disc if the drive doesn't suck it in fully for whatever reason (eg putting it in at a dodgy angle or holding onto it for a second before letting it suck) then the disk gets stuck half way. You then have to pull out the disk yourself, and the drive will refuse to initiate a disk suck again. Restarting does nothing. Also oddly enough all apps break eg settings won't open (it's as if the system gets itself in a real twist). Only way to fix is to do a full reboot / power down by switching off at the wall and back on.

Am I alone in this...?

Sydle

WOW, there must be a huge difference between support in the US and in German speaking regions. I called support this evening for my Day One Edition's grinding dvd drive and got to one really incompetent (or maybe not trained enough) guy. He didn't know anything about these drive issues, said Microsoft will send me a UPS postage sheet, I'll have to print that one out and send in my faulty Xbox One to get it replaced in 2-3 weeks.

Needless to say that the UPS postage thingy has not yet arrived. I'm pretty disappointed.

That's unfortunate. I'll note that I did it all through their chat option.

The rep on my end admitted it was a known issue and quickly proceeded to direct me to myservice.xbox.com to place a service request for their Advanced Exchange program. After confirming I could play digital games, she explained that I would get a game token for a free game immediately upon my service request completion (had to provide my service order #), so I could play something now. The choices were Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, or Zoo Tycoon.

Shipment takes 3-5 business days, so I won't get it until next Monday. Apparently, the box will contain pre-paid postage for FedEx. I just need to package up my faulty Xbox in the box they send me and ship it within 14 days, or they charge my credit card for a new Xbox.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you may want to check to see what your options are (were) on myservice.xbox.com.

Scooby

So I redeemed Gold Battlepack for Battlefield 4 on Xbox.com but I don't see it anywhere. Anyone know where I can unlock it?

Controller is great, sticks feel much better, as do triggers/bumpers, no issue with the bit that doesn't click for me.

Barely used the d-pad so can't really comment, maybe i'll play some Killer Instinct later to test it out.

derFeef

Controller is great, sticks feel much better, as do triggers/bumpers, no issue with the bit that doesn't click for me.

Barely used the d-pad so can't really comment, maybe i'll play some Killer Instinct later to test it out.

That's my biggest gripe, QC moves are a pain with the d-pad. Individual directions are fine, but it's hard to roll the thumb on it.

So here are my impressions after picking the console up on Friday night:

Positives

+ Killer Instinct is great fun
+ KI Classic is still great as well
+ Powerstar Golf is a fine game for $20
+ Editing and Uploading clips is great. Love that I can save to my Skydrive.
+ Blu-Ray movies work fine (Unlike PS4 where a portion of my discs won't play for some reason)

Negatives

- Fan in console makes barely-audible "chirping" noise while system is on. It's like the fan is not balanced or barely touching something. It's enough to bother me but not enough to justify an exchange unless it gets worse.
- Power Supply also noisy but I can live with that.
- Controller: Dpad is more precise but feels very shallow and too clicky. I don't think the new bumpers are as good as the old ones.
- I have a big, odd-shaped living room and despite many calibrations, Kinect Voice-commands only work about 80% of the time, and NEVER the first time I show someone else such as the wife or a friend. I've given up on this feature.
- TV Integration: I was excited about this as I still watch a lot of cable TV but the fact that there is no pass-thru means the Xbox has to be on and running the whole time the TV is on. This has a cost in power, wear-and-tear, and the fact that I can hear the fan during quiet TV moments. I've already disconnected my cable box from the Xbox.
- I find the UI clunky and I miss the pop-up guide. I hate how everything (friendslist, Achievements) is a separate App and it FEELS slower even if it is not. I was very used to the 360 UI and using the bumpers I can navigate that dash very quickly. This seems like a step backwards, IMO.
- The store is a bit messy. I like 360's more.
- Streaming music and video support is a joke compared to 360
- Youtube App is now like the crappy ones on PS3 and Wii, and not like the far-superior 360 app.
- Load Times! Why are they so slow? Maybe Killer Instinct is just a bad example but they are pretty terrible in that game.
- Aliasing! Why is it that this system and the 360 are both outputting 720p for games but for some reason the jaggies are more evident on Xbox 1? The whole 720p debacle does not bother me in the slightest (I am no graphic whore, despite regularly playing PC games at 1080p60) but I did not expect some aspects of games to look worse on the new console.

Conclusion:

Ultimately, the games are what matters and the ones I have are very fun, but TBH I am a little disappointed in the system. I referenced the 360 a lot in my complaints but I really like the 360 (UI, Controller, etc.), and this feels like a clunky, less feature-rich experience. A regression. I realize it's early but contrast this with my PS4 experience which was a pleasant surprise after being very annoyed with the PS3's UX jank for years. I'm sure it's all a matter of expectations, since I went into PS4 with lower ones, and XB1 with higher ones. I'm sure I'll get used to some of these things and they will work on the UI but those are my initial impressions.

Sydle

Has anyone had this disk drive issue / can recreate so I know whether my system is faulty or not:

When putting in a disc if the drive doesn't suck it in fully for whatever reason (eg putting it in at a dodgy angle or holding onto it for a second before letting it suck) then the disk gets stuck half way. You then have to pull out the disk yourself, and the drive will refuse to initiate a disk suck again. Restarting does nothing. Also oddly enough all apps break eg settings won't open (it's as if the system gets itself in a real twist). Only way to fix is to do a full reboot / power down by switching off at the wall and back on.

Am I alone in this...?

Mine wouldn't accept the disc all the way either. You have a faulty drive.

Go to https://support.xbox.com
Select Xbox One
Scroll all the way down and select Contact Support
Go through the process to identify your issue (e.g., console issues)
Select your support option (I had success with chat)

You'll probably have to put in a service request via myservice.xbox.com, so make sure you have your console's serial number so you can register it there to complete your service order.

So here are my impressions after picking the console up on Friday night:

Positives

+ Killer Instinct is great fun
+ KI Classic is still great as well
+ Powerstar Golf is a fine game for $20
+ Editing and Uploading clips is great. Love that I can save to my Skydrive.

Negatives

- Fan in console makes barely-audible "chirping" noise while system is on. It's like the fan is not balanced or barely touching something. It's enough to bother me but not enough to justify an exchange unless it gets worse.
- Power Supply also noisy but I can live with that.
- Controller: Dpad is more precise but feels very shallow and too clicky. I don't think the new bumpers are as good as the old ones.
- I have a big, odd-shaped living room and despite many calibrations, Kinect Voice-commands only work about 80% of the time, and NEVER the first time I show someone else such as the wife or a friend. I've given up on this feature.
- TV Integration: I was excited about this as I still watch a lot of cable TV but the fact that there is no pass-thru means the Xbox has to be on and running the whole time the TV is on. This has a cost in power, wear-and-tear, and the fact that I can hear the fan during quiet TV moments. I've already disconnected my cable box from the Xbox.
- I find the UI clunky and I miss the pop-up guide. I hate how everything (friendslist, Achievements) is a separate App and it FEELS slower even if it is not. I was very used to the 360 UI and using the bumpers I can navigate that dash very quickly. This seems like a step backwards, IMO.
- The store is a bit messy. I like 360's more.
- Streaming music and video support is a joke compared to 360
- Youtube App is now like the crappy ones on PS3 and Wii, and not like the far-superior 360 app.
- Load Times! Why are they so slow? Maybe Killer Instinct is just a bad example but they are pretty terrible in that game.
- Aliasing! Why is it that this system and the 360 are both outputting 720p for games but for some reason the jaggies are more evident on Xbox 1? The whole 720p debacle does not bother me in the slightest (I am no graphic whore, despite regularly playing PC games at 1080p60) but I did not expect some aspects of games to look worse on the new console.

Conclusion:

Ultimately, the games are what matters and the ones I have are very fun, but TBH I am a little disappointed in the system. I referenced the 360 a lot in my complaints but I really like the 360 (UI, Controller, etc.), and this feels like a clunky, less feature-rich experience. A regression. I realize it's early but contrast this with my PS4 experience which was a pleasant surprise after being very annoyed with the PS3's UX jank for years. I'm sure it's all a matter of expectations, since I went into PS4 with lower ones, and XB1 with higher ones. I'm sure I'll get used to some of these things and they will work on the UI but those are my initial impressions.

Your box has some issues. I literally can't hear my xbox or the psu unless my ear is against it. You might want to send it back.

The kinect voice thing requires a high volume for the calibration. Took awhile for me but it works like a charm now.

I have an audio issue. Battlefield 4 cutscenes have no voices, but everything els is fine. Im running my xbox in 5.1 mode through hdmi to my TV, and then optical out from the TV into my receiver. This is the first time something like this has happened. What do you suggest gaf?

Gorki247

Has anyone that downloaded Ryse managed to get the Day One content. It's supposed to be available during the first two weeks, but I cannot find it. No such problems with DR3.

Mononoke

Banned
Your box has some issues. I literally can't hear my xbox or the psu unless my ear is against it. You might want to send it back.

The kinect voice thing requires a high volume for the calibration. Took awhile for me but it works like a charm now.

Yeah something is wrong with his fan. Mine is dead quiet.

sangreal

I feel really dumb asking this but how can I remove the mic from the x1 controller?

do you mean the headset? just unplug it. this may be a stupid answer because I never connected mine. but I had already hit reply because I thought you meant an internal mic and there is none

I have an audio issue. Battlefield 4 cutscenes have no voices, but everything els is fine. Im running my xbox in 5.1 mode through hdmi to my TV, and then optical out from the TV into my receiver. This is the first time something like this has happened. What do you suggest gaf?

has that ever worked for you on a previous system? Most TV's usually don't convert HDMI surround audio to optical.

Probably better to go directly from your Xbox to your receiver with an optical cable instead

sangreal

has that ever worked for you on a previous system? Most TV's usually don't convert HDMI surround audio to optical.

Probably better to go directly from your Xbox to your receiver with an optical cable instead

yeah, it's almost certainly sending L/R and so the center with the voice is getting dropped

Nori Chan

do you mean the headset? just unplug it. this may be a stupid answer because I never connected mine. but I had already hit reply because I thought you meant an internal mic and there is none
You should try putting it on cause I have no idea if it's a latch or I should pull hard to take it off but I feel like I'm going to break it if I do

xkramz

Could you buy games over smartglass or away from home and have it downloaded asap to your Xbox one? Even if youre not home?

c3t

Banned
What display settings are you all using? I use a monitor, and when I set the Xbox to RGB full, it crushes blacks, and when I set it to limited, the blacks are grey/lighter. Weird thing is that when I boot up KI using limited, it looks fine, but when I do Battlefield, the blacks are grey/lighter. I do not know what to do. :(

sangreal

You should try putting it on cause I have no idea if it's a latch or I should pull hard to take it off but I feel like I'm going to break it if I do

I just opened mine and gave it a shot. It pulls right out, there doesn't seem to be a latch or anything. I don't see anything that would break if you pull too hard

Prophezz

Banned
Great news. My Xbox One is set to arrive on Wednesday! Along with Ryse (thru a different shipment). it's oging to be a great Thanksgiving break. :)

sangreal

What display settings are you all using? I use a monitor, and when I set the Xbox to RGB full, it crushes blacks, and when I set it to limited, the blacks are grey/lighter. Weird thing is that when I boot up KI using limited, it looks fine, but when I do Battlefield, the blacks are grey/lighter. I do not know what to do. :(

if you use a desktop monitor it should probably be set to full. I think there is a bigger issue with KI

To answer the question, I have a pioneer kuro krp-500m plasma so I have mine set to full because the tv can't properly switch automatically (when set to auto it just does 0-255)

GavinGT

Banned

No problem here.

Could you buy games over smartglass or away from home and have it downloaded asap to your Xbox one? Even if youre not home?

I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to buy a game from the website and it'll immediately start installing at home.

c3t

Banned
if you use a desktop monitor it should probably be set to full. I think there is a bigger issue with KI

To answer the question, I have a pioneer kuro krp-500m plasma so I have mine set to full because the tv can't properly switch automatically (when set to auto it just does 0-255)

The thing is, the Xbox crushes blacks on full. For example, KI has crushed blacks on full, and Battlefield looks fine with it... I don't know how battlefield looks fine, but there is no crushing. KI, I used the dojo to have a looksie, and it is quite evident with the background. Weird. I've never had this problem before. I've never had this problem with any other console, but this one. Just to clarify.

see5harp

Yea, don't do it like that. The TV will only pass through stereo so you are losing the majority of your sound output. Just go optical to your receiver if necessary.

sangreal

The thing is, the Xbox crushes blacks on full. For example, KI has crushed blacks on full, and Battlefield looks fine with it... Weird. I've never had this problem before. I've never had this problem with any other console, but this one. Just to clarify.

it definitely does with some games, but setting it to limited when your monitor is full just leads to different problems as you mentioned :/

My Xbox One won't turn on by voice command. Everything else is working fine, but when I power it off, whether by voice command or with the Home button, it won't power on by voice.

It doesn't look like it's sleeping to me, there are no lights or anything to indicate it's receptive to commands. And I've flipped around in the settings, but they all look okay, and I haven't changed anything, so they should all be at default.

Anyone else having this issue? Or can anyone point out something obvious I've missed? It's silly, but I want to be able to power it up and down that way, even though I'm not big on voice commands in general. It just feels cool.

Top Bottom