• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

GavinGT

Banned
My Xbox One won't turn on by voice command. Everything else is working fine, but when I power it off, whether by voice command or with the Home button, it won't power on by voice.

It doesn't look like it's sleeping to me, there are no lights or anything to indicate it's receptive to commands. And I've flipped around in the settings, but they all look okay, and I haven't changed anything, so they should all be at default.

Anyone else having this issue? Or can anyone point out something obvious I've missed? It's silly, but I want to be able to power it up and down that way, even though I'm not big on voice commands in general. It just feels cool.

A couple random things -

- What country are you in? In Australia, for example, "Xbox on" doesn't work at launch. At least that's what they said months ago
- You can tell if it's sleeping when the light on the power brick is white
- I find that I have to say "Xbox On" louder than any other command
- Obviously you have to have the setting turned on in the menu to allow "Xbox On" functionality (it defaults to on)

Heysoos

Does the faulty disc drive fault only appear through games or does it do with bluray movies too?

Anyways, does anyone else get random time skips with Hulu Plus?

c3t

Banned
it definitely does with some games, but setting it to limited when your monitor just leads to different problems as you mentioned :/

Curses, I guess I'll just leave it at full. I'm just going to hope that Microsoft does end up patching this in the future, and not like a year from now.

sangreal

My Xbox One won't turn on by voice command. Everything else is working fine, but when I power it off, whether by voice command or with the Home button, it won't power on by voice.

It doesn't look like it's sleeping to me, there are no lights or anything to indicate it's receptive to commands. And I've flipped around in the settings, but they all look okay, and I haven't changed anything, so they should all be at default.

Anyone else having this issue? Or can anyone point out something obvious I've missed? It's silly, but I want to be able to power it up and down that way, even though I'm not big on voice commands in general. It just feels cool.

Xbox On works for me sometimes, but not nearly with the success I have for all other commands. You have to say it loudly

e: guess there is a sleep indicator on the power brick; didnt know that

A couple random things -

- What country are you in? In Australia, for example, "Xbox on" doesn't work at launch. At least that's what they said months ago
- You can tell if it's sleeping when the light on the power brick is white
- I find that I have to say "Xbox On" louder than any other command

Thanks. Pretty sure the light on the brick is on. I'm in the US. I'm not at home now, but I'll try yelling shortly, after work.

Edit: Thanks, guys, that is indeed all it was, just gotta be loud.

The Flash

Banned
Now that the system has been out for a little bit and we've had a chance to mess around with it, I think it would be a good idea to compile a list of things that we'd like improved so that we can try to make the Xbox One better. Considering that we have two influential Xbox division employees in our midst, I'm sure that they'd absolutely love to hear our feedback.

Hawk269

I'm literally having a 90-95% success rate with Kinect which is why I suggested it.

Barely having any problems with it.

Same here. It is used in my home by me and my fiancée and nether of us had had major problems. Sometimes, I have to say Xbox more than once, but that is it. It has been pretty incredible for us and really no issues. Calibration is very important and ensuring you turn the volume above the normal volume that you use.

Hawk269

This morning I literally whispered "Xbox on" and it heard me lol. I do have a small room, but still. I was surprised.

I am able to turn it on from about 20' feet away when I am in the kitchen. This morning, I went to the kitchen to start the coffee maker, in a raised voice said "Xbox On" and boom it was up and running. When I walked in the room in scanned me and said "hello" to me in text.

sangreal

Now that the system has been out for a little bit and we've had a chance to mess around with it, I think it would be a good idea to compile a list of things that we'd like improved so that we can try to make the Xbox One better. Considering that we have two influential Xbox division employees in our midst, I'm sure that they'd absolutely love to hear our feedback.

Yeah, I was hoping someone would start a thread like the PS4 2.0 thread

Sure it will get shit on, but there are a lot of things that legitimately could be improved

what command are you trying? I've found that a lot of people are saying Xbox turn on when its just Xbox on.

clear31

My hdmi slot on the console is very loose. So called microsoft and they are shipping me a new console. Console will turn off randomly at times and sometimes wont turn on at all.

I can say customer service was better than expected after reading the stories of what people are going through. Oh well, disappointed but whatever. They said a new console should arrive by December 5th

So as someone who hasnt touched an Ass Creed game since the 1st, is AC4 really that good? yall are tempting me. i do like Caribbean setting though.

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) really want to know if it's worth buying.

Worth noting that I didn't get on with AC3 as my gaming time is limited, and there was just too much fluff to bother with. Collect this, hunt that etc.

What say you?

Hawk269

Finally got through to support about my bad disc drive and they're sending me a new Xbox One. They were really nice about it, got straight to the point, and got things squared away. Got a free game out of it, too.

The only bummer is having to download all my games again, but fortunately all my game save data is in the cloud, so I don't really lose anything. Here's hoping the replacement is fault free.

Probably a dumb question, but does it automatically save to the cloud or is this an option? I would assume, if you are not connected to the net that it would save locally.

Thanks!

My Xbox seems to struggle to recognize me to log me in. When it works it kicks arse, but it often doesn't. What gave I done? Too far from the camera when I set it up? Or am I impatient?

GavinGT

Banned
Probably a dumb question, but does it automatically save to the cloud or is this an option? I would assume, if you are not connected to the net that it would save locally.

Thanks!

I imagine everything it saved locally and also pushed to the cloud if there's an internet connection.

Special C

I'm having my first terrible experience with the new party system. I want to play AC4 while I wait on my friend to finish his FIFA match, but it won't let me start a game if I'm in the party with him unless he joins the match. So I have to leave the party to play by myself and I can't chat. So terrible.

Hawk269

Played my first MP game of Forza last night and yeah, dedicated servers is definitely such a big improvement. Played a 16 player game with people from all over the world. All of us talking with perfectly good voice communication and the on-line play was like playing a single player game. No cars were bouncing around, sinking into the ground etc. It was such a great experience and a lot of fun.

A bit later, when some people dropped out, one guy said that it was showing he was in position 2 out of 3, but there was about 8 of us in the game. Then some started to say something because this guy was crashing into people as if we were not there and we discovered that for some odd reason on his end, he could only see 2 other cars and his screen was showing only 3 cars, yet we were all talking and there were 8 of us. Very odd.

Outside of that bizarre issue, the dedicated servers at least for Forza 5 are such a great benefit to the game.

Bsigg12

I'm having my first terrible experience with the new party system. I want to play AC4 while I wait on my friend to finish his FIFA match, but it won't let me start a game if I'm in the party with him unless he joins the match. So I have to leave the party to play by myself and I can't chat. So terrible.

Is there anyway to start a non game party?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Getting my Bone next week.

Do all games....atleast so far, have dedicated servers?

Cuz im thinking of getting either COD Ghosts or Battlefield 4 as my multiplat nextgen game.
Need a shooter to tide me over till TitanFall.

Hawk269

Getting my Bone next week.

Do all games....atleast so far, have dedicated servers?

Cuz im thinking of getting either COD Ghosts or Battlefield 4 as my multiplat nextgen game.
Need a shooter to tide me over till TitanFall.

From what I heard, every game can have Dedicated Servers. MS is providing them to any developer, so it is up to them. I know Battlefield 4 uses dedicated servers, but I don't think they are the MS one's, I believe they are using their own. Not sure about Ghost.

fritolay

Last night I picked up a 360 controller after spending a few hours playing Forza 5 and BF 4 on the Xbone... and it felt weird.

I've been using that controller for 8 years, but I feel like I'm already getting used to the new hotness. The 360's protruding battery pack never (never!) bothered me until now. I've squeezed RT for thousands of BR and DMR shots, but suddenly those old triggers feel tiny and shallow. It's a bittersweet feeling, like running into an old high school girlfriend... and then asking her for the #6 combo (no mayo) and a 5-piece spicy chicken nuggets.

As for the bumpers... here is my totally scientific Truthfact Analysis™ of the issue:

xbone_bumper1.jpg

Figure 1: The Konami Code

On the outside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 1), it doesn't matter what direction your finger is applying force - the button clicks. My chief contribution to every Battlefield 4 team is mashing the Spot button until orange enemy Doritos litter the screen.

On the inside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 2), if you apply force directed toward the center of the controller you're pushing against the hinge and the button doesn't click. This happens more if you use the very tip of your index finger instead of the middle. This happens less if you are Davos Seaworth.

The 360 controller didn't have such an issue, but that's partly because those bumpers were much smaller. I think people will get used to the change; in my opinion the Xbox One bumpers are easier to use overall. All other opinions are not my opinion - but they're probably wrong.

Unfortunately I have found with time my analog thumb sticks are getting a dead spot. I have seen this reported elsewhere. You can look at the controller, and wiggle them just a little bit back and forth now. :(

I am able to turn it on from about 20' feet away when I am in the kitchen. This morning, I went to the kitchen to start the coffee maker, in a raised voice said "Xbox On" and boom it was up and running. When I walked in the room in scanned me and said "hello" to me in text.

I was watching a youtube video on my laptop, and the person was showing the UI and kinect. My XBOX in the same room started following the commands from the video. So if someone on an online game shouts commands the XBOX can or cannot figure that out? I am thinking it would not if it can pick up youtube commands in the room.

Sobriquet

What display settings are you all using? I use a monitor, and when I set the Xbox to RGB full, it crushes blacks, and when I set it to limited, the blacks are grey/lighter. Weird thing is that when I boot up KI using limited, it looks fine, but when I do Battlefield, the blacks are grey/lighter. I do not know what to do. :(

Did you calibrate your monitor using the One's built-in calibration tools?

Lima

Okay so now that I've figured out the party system I can see it's appeal. There is no reason to send out game invites anymore. Only thing that I hate is that you need to activate the chat first after joining it and that it makes the game sound very quiet.

But damn I was just playing NFS Rivals with two friends. Then we decided to play Forza 5. So I just said "Xbox go to Forza Motorsport 5" and it did instantly, went into multiplayer, it asked me if I wanted to change the party to FM5, I did and created a lobby. My friends then went into Forza too and could join the party without me doing anything else.

That is some next level shit right there.

Okay so now that I've figured out the party system I can see it's appeal. There is no reason to send out game invites anymore. Only thing that I hate is that you need to activate the chat first after joining it and that it makes the game sound very quiet.

But damn I was just playing NFS Rivals with two friends. Then we decided to play Forza 5. So I just said "Xbox go to Forza Motorsport 5" and it did instantly, went into multiplayer, it asked me if I wanted to change the party to FM5, I did and created a lobby. My friends then went into Forza too and could join the party without me doing anything else.

No more game invites? That sucks.

There's nothing like coming home, "Xbox on" and being auto signed in.
Next gen man.

Yeah, I like how it is automatic. The system needs a bit more refinement though, as it's a bit confusing currently.
It also doesn't work all the time.

Lima

No more game invites? That sucks.

You don't need them. You invite people in your party and once they go into multiplayer the will either get a popup that there is a party game going on or need to press the new menu button to join.

Same thing if you are not in the party but people on your friends list are playing Forza. They go into multiplayer and need to press one button to get into the game.

It's different but pretty cool actually. There is just so much stuff that you have to relearn after using the 360 for 8 years.

Hawk269

I believe there is a separate download. For Dead Rising, I found the Day 1 stuff in the area you look for additional content. It was free since I bought the digital version. However, Ryse and Forza, even though I have Digital, there is no day one stuff to download. I assume it is because they have not put it up yet.

R3TRODYCE

I was laying in my bed and thinking man I need to turn off the ceiling fan then I said "Xbox turn off ceili..." Oh right..Damn I have to get up.

K1ng P3n

I definitely need to spent more time trying to figure out the party chat system because it doesn't work for me. It could also have something to do with my NAT all of a sudden being moderate. Never had NAT problems on the 360.

Hawk269

I definitely need to spent more time trying to figure out the party chat system because it doesn't work for me. It could also have something to do with my NAT all of a sudden bing moderate. Never had NAT problems on the 360.

Power off your modem, power off your router, power off completely the Xbox One, make sure the Xbox One is completely off, not in low power state. After about 30 seconds, provide power to the modem once it is up, power up your router and wait for a bit. Then power on the Xbox One and go to the network settings. Usually it will fix itself and it should show open nat.

Krilekk

Banned
There's nothing like coming home, "Xbox on" and being auto signed in.
Next gen man.

Yeah, I like how it is automatic. The system needs a bit more refinement though, as it's a bit confusing currently.
It also doesn't work all the time.

I want voice control for my lights. For my windows. For everything. I'm amazed by how great it works, I have a 99 % success ratio (the 1% is for when I'm speaking not loud enough or using the wrong commands). Stuff like "Xbox record that" in the middle of a game is just magical. The gesture controls are as bad as ever but voice is on a whole new level.

And I love those new challenges. 3 days left to beat Dead Rising chapter 7 or I will never ever get that challenge again. And I have to bank 4.5 million SP in NfS until tomorrow. And play 30 rounds of golf. Stuff like this really keeps you occupied, always something to do.

Zoo Tycoon is great. NfS is great. Dead Rising seems to be great, frame rate is very stable so far. Forza 5 is great. Powerstar Golf is great. It's just an awesome console with very good games, I couldn't care less that PS4 is more powerful because X1 feels more next gen to me with all the snapping, instant switching, voice control while still having a bunch of good exclusives.

I think their original idea of an always-on console was not so much flawed. I'm already at a point where I want to have everything digitally because it's annoying to switch discs. But I don't because a) games with gold and b) sales. They could sell me on any DRM they want by making the digital versions 50 % cheaper (after all those 50 % are what they save when selling digitally over retail).

What I don't like so far are the loading times. I was expecting more from mandatory installs (I guess we don't get the full bandwidth because the console reserves some for UI stuff and recording but still).

Top Bottom